22/05/2010 [DMFA #1121] - Choosing the lesser of two awkwards

Started by Madd the Sane, May 22, 2010, 01:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

So we're using UK formatted dates now?

If Abel would have stayed to listen to Lorenda's spiel, would he learn about her parentage? :B
And notice how Abel wants to keep his loner status. And fails :mwaha
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Congo Jack

"Visit his best friend"? Is Abel going to the nearest mirror, or to the restroom?  :mowwink

Nino

Hahaha Lorenda knows just the right buttons to push to get Abel to do what she wants. Reminds me of how Mab convinced Abel to disguise himself as Merlitz to avoid leaving Dan with Pyro. Poor Abel is manipulated by everyone as of late!

Drayco84

InsanityRequiem

Seeing Abel's reaction to Lorenda's *Relationship* problem bit made me my weird ninny laugh. A few of them actually. If only we could have seen Abel's face.
Who is the sanest of us all? Why, the insane of course!

Toast

Funny how friendships seem to blossom conveniently right when Abel needs them to... hm....  :mowtongue

DMFA reader since 2000!

Suwako

Friends! Where is my best friend in the whole world who would talk to lorenda for me about things I don't want to talk about!

>:3

MT Hazard

Quote from: Madd the Sane on May 22, 2010, 01:03:05 AM
So we're using UK formatted dates now?

Why not? They make logical sense and don't confuse people living outside a certain country with an inflated sense of importance.

Edit: Countries that use dd/mm/yyyy vastly outnumber countries that don't, see here
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Titanium Dragon

Yeah, but none of them matter :P

Also, the logical order would be yyyy/mm/dd , that way if you order them numerically 2010/05/13 comes AFTER 1999/12/5.

mm/dd makes sense, its just that the yyyy is on the wrong end. dd/mm is just weird because 12/01 comes after 01/12, even though january 12th is way before the 1st of December.

Of course, it'd also be nice if our calendar actually made sense, but you know, baby steps.

Howl

VAE

Don't be silly guys, we all know the proper date is 22/05/40 AE (after Epoch)
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: danman on May 22, 2010, 05:25:56 AM

Somehow I don't think putting '1274504585' in the thread title would be very helpful...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 22, 2010, 05:33:51 AM

Somehow I don't think putting '1274504585' in the thread title would be very helpful...

As long as we don't start using star dates..

edit: people aren't as good at the logical order thing anyway, prime example; QWERTY keyboards.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 22, 2010, 05:33:51 AM

Actually you would have to either round it cca to the nearest 1E5, or name the interval, otherwise posting a correct post date would become tricky
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Bjalf

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 22, 2010, 02:15:26 AM
"Visit his best friend"? Is Abel going to the nearest mirror, or to the restroom?  :mowwink
Mr. Hankey?

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 22, 2010, 05:44:22 AM
edit: people aren't as good at the logical order thing anyway, prime example; QWERTY keyboards.
Well, people can get used to anything. The problem is when there's more than one standard. But with keyboards it's easy, a Q is a Q wherever it is placed, even on AZERTY keyboards. Dates can be really tricky, especially when the day number is less than 13. 123199 is easy enough to decipher, but 020509 is not. Feb 5th 2009 or May 2nd 2009? Or perhaps May 9th 2002?

Hanii Puppy

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on May 22, 2010, 05:00:30 AM

Also, the logical order would be yyyy/mm/dd , that way if you order them numerically 2010/05/13 comes AFTER 1999/12/5

Then you'd be saying the two-thousand and tenth of the fifth of the thirteenth, or the two-thousand and tenth year of the fifth month of the 13th day.

dd/mm/yyyy makes perfect sense.

VAE

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on May 22, 2010, 07:08:28 AM

Also, the logical order would be yyyy/mm/dd , that way if you order them numerically 2010/05/13 comes AFTER 1999/12/5

Then you'd be saying the two-thousand and tenth of the fifth of the thirteenth, or the two-thousand and tenth year of the fifth month of the 13th day.

dd/mm/yyyy makes perfect sense.

Not necessarily - it makes perfect sense with names - you store name list with surname first but read it by own name first unless you are chinese or hungarian
The point is that it adheres to standard rules of sorting that way - and so is practical
Saphroneth

Bjalf

Alphonse

Glee, it has been a while since Abel and Jyras were alone together  :3 Love to watch those two interact if only hopeing jyras makes a move  >:3

Mao

Guys, it hasn't even been a page and you're already off topic .  :frog2

Thread, I am disappoint.

Anyway, is it just me or is Lorenda looking a bit less hefty in the last panel?  It's probably just her baggy clothes, but her gut seems smaller. 

joshofspam

Dating issues or friendship issues?

Yeah go with the one you have more experience seemingly with Abel. But now where is she going to get advice about her little problem? >:3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Starcat5

Oh come ON, people! Abel is OVIOUSLY off to see Mink.  :rolleyes
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Drayco84

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 22, 2010, 08:41:36 AM
Guys, it hasn't even been a page and you're already off topic .  :frog2
I know! And onto the subject of date formatting, no less!

Thread, I am disappoint.
*Pats Mao on back.* I'm disappointed in the thread too, Mao... I'm disappointed too...

Anyway, is it just me or is Lorenda looking a bit less hefty in the last panel?  It's probably just her baggy clothes, but her gut seems smaller. 
Well, since I'm sure Kria knows how to cook (Even with a flamethrower, most likely.) I'm sure she doesn't stock as much junk food as Jyrras.
Really though, I'd be willing to bet that less annoying beings, like door-to-door salesmen, drop by for 'dinner', much less approach Kria's house. (That, and her habit of eating pizza delivery workers most certainly doesn't help.)

AmigaDragon

If Abel would have stayed to listen to Lorenda's spiel, would he learn about her parentage? :B

Depends on whether she says "Kria" or "Aliph" instead of "Mom" or "Uncle".

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 22, 2010, 05:44:22 AM

The "logic" behind the QWERTY keyboard was that it prevented typebar jams when typing at speed.

Quote from: starcat5 on May 22, 2010, 10:10:40 AM
Oh come ON, people! Abel is OVIOUSLY off to see Mink.  :rolleyes

While it would be interesting to see him now, returning to SAIA would take Abel away from his duties to Dan.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 22, 2010, 12:06:22 PM
I know! And onto the subject of date formatting, no less!
Strictly, it's the subject of what date format is suitable for this thread.  It's not like people are discussing the best way to serve grapefruit or something.

I'm not entirely sure whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcblade

Does anyone else worry that this is going to end with a bleeding and frantic Abel? 

Keleth

Quote from: Arcblade on May 22, 2010, 12:58:05 PM
Does anyone else worry that this is going to end with a bleeding and frantic Abel? 

Here's hopin!
Help! I'm gay!

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Alphonse on May 22, 2010, 08:29:02 AM
Glee, it has been a while since Abel and Jyrras were alone together :3 Love to watch those two interact if only hoping Jyrras makes a move >:3

I quite agree.  :mowwink Of course I'm more eager to see what Abel's reaction would be to said move.....  >:3

Popcorn anyone? :popcorn

Quote from: joshofspam on May 22, 2010, 08:51:21 AM

Yeah go with the one you have more experience seemingly with Abel.

Abel has experience with friendship issues?! :erk

Sadly, I think you have been misinformed on what experience he has......  :P If I recall correctly Abel is the "honest jerk" we all love to hate and hate to love...  :3

Course, if I had to choice between the two of them; I'd pick the random third option where I leap out of the nearest said window and run for my life.....  :sweatdrop

Also, the logical order would be yyyy/mm/dd , that way if you order them numerically 2010/05/13 comes AFTER 1999/12/5.

I'm reminded that now I find myself switching between yyyy/mm/dd format and the mm/dd/yyyy format, ever since I've taken three years of Japanese.......  :B Interesting to say the least.......

joshofspam

I know that Mrs_A_ZeTavia. :rolleyes

But he was friends with Hennya and his baby sitter and seemed to be on good terms. :hug

Also let's not forget his resent meeting with Genesis might put him of a relationship of any kind for a long time to come.

You don't need to consider your self a friend for another person to think of you as a friend. Just look at Mink trying to talk to Abel or Jyrras for that matter. Wait maybe Nutmeg is the best argument for that case or the internet chat room.

Nutmeg or internet friends. Hmmmmmm... Tough call. Tough call indeed.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Grey Wolf

Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.