IDE of choice?

Started by Jack McSlay, May 12, 2010, 10:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

So, what do you guys use to program?

I've been getting quite fond of Netbeans lately. The refactoring tools are very nice and the PHP editor is the single best I've seen so far (and doesn't require much sorcery to get xdebug working)
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Mao

Eclipse has been my tool of choice for the last 5 years.

superluser

emacs.

You can do everything in emacs, even run emacs.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Gabi

I use mostly Kate (for everything but Java), but I sometimes use Eclipse (for Java and Prolog). And when I'm working on LinCoder I use NetBeans because my brother started it as a NetBeans project.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

hapless

Quote from: superluser on May 12, 2010, 10:39:54 AM
emacs.

You can do everything in emacs, even run emacs.

'(for-truth)
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

llearch n'n'daCorna

Vim.

You can even run emacs in vim, and you can manage it without growing three extra fingers, too... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Visual Studio 6, mostly.  This has the disadvantage that it's old (I don't like the newer ones as much) and only works in Windows, but it's pretty good at what it does.
In Linux I'm generally using Kate now, but I haven't really found a good debugging IDE for C++ that runs in Linux.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Noone

I do a lot of my assignments using Emacs. It's good with a large variety of languages, Java, C, C++, MIPS, Perl, Forth, Postscript, Prolog, Flexx/Bison.

At home, I use Eclipse for coding in Java. It's a nice tool all things considered.

Also, I've used DrScheme a bit. It's a nice program, but I'm not very fond of Scheme. It would be nice for a dedicated Schemer though.

VAE

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 12, 2010, 06:04:26 PM
Vim.

You can even run emacs in vim, and you can manage it without growing three extra fingers, too... ;-]
:cheers :hug
You as well?

Other than vi, i was also using the free-released older version of Sun Studio, and that one was excellent stuff too.
But nothing beats pure vi and gdb, just from the fact it exists on pretty much any machine

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Fibre

Vim. And zsh, and make, and ctags, and TotalView, and urxvt, and awesomewm. :) Maybe this setup is an "anti-IDE" of sorts, but I love it and I suppose it's well-integrated into my brain and computer. ;)

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 12, 2010, 06:04:26 PMVim.

But why would you want to?

This is coming from a guy who can't use his left hand to type, and actually replaced vi with a symlink to emacs in case any program defaults to use vi.

vim doesn't make sense to me, and also brings back memories of writeln.  emacs only makes sense if you let emacs run your brain, but that's a Good Thing.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cvstos

Xcode and Visual Studio C#/C++ primarily. Netbeans for Java.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

ShadesFox

I usually end up using emacs.  Sometimes distributors do weird things to vim, or vi, or what have you, so I just found emacs more consistent.  I don't like the big GUIs because I usually end up altering code on remote machines, and forwarding that sort of thing through X11 gets old fast.
The All Purpose Fox

Madd the Sane

Mostly Xcode for Mac projects, TextWrangler and Make for open-source projects.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: ShadesFox on May 12, 2010, 10:50:26 PM
I usually end up using emacs.  Sometimes distributors do weird things to vim, or vi, or what have you, so I just found emacs more consistent.  I don't like the big GUIs because I usually end up altering code on remote machines, and forwarding that sort of thing through X11 gets old fast.

The only distributor I've found that does wierd shit to vim also does wierd shit to just about every other RPM in the distribution. Sadly, all other RPM-based dists are using their wierd shit as a base...

Debian does default to a cut-down version of vim, but you can install the default, full, untouched version - and a whole pack of fairly standard and very useful addons, plus manage those addons easily - trivially. Redhat, either their way or make your own, so far as I can tell...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 12, 2010, 06:36:53 PMVisual Studio 6, mostly.  This has the disadvantage that it's old (I don't like the newer ones as much) and only works in Windows, but it's pretty good at what it does.
In Linux I'm generally using Kate now, but I haven't really found a good debugging IDE for C++ that runs in Linux.
Netbeans has a pretty good C++ debugger IMHO. Code::Blocks was supposed to have a good one too, but I couldn't get it to work. I usually download the full Netbeans package in Netbeans' website, as distribution-packaged versions had crapped out on me in the past.

ps.: I'm surprised by the ammount of people in the forum who actually programs, and happy nobody here uses Dreamweaver to program (or even consider Dreamweaver to be a programming tool)

Drayco84

Quote from: Jack McSlay on May 14, 2010, 08:58:57 AM
I'm surprised by the ammount of people in the forum who actually programs, and happy nobody here uses Dreamweaver to program (or even consider Dreamweaver to be a programming tool)
I think that's because Dreamweaver is mostly thought of as a web editor, not a programming tool. Oh, and it costs about $400 for a copy. Yeah, why pay that when there's a plethora of free, open-source editors floating around?

My only programming experiences are with Kompozer and SeaMonkey. Both of which are web editors (And WYSIWYG editors at that, which keep screwing around with the code and buggering it up...) and obviously don't count in this discussion.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 12, 2010, 06:36:53 PM
Visual Studio 6, mostly.  This has the disadvantage that it's old (I don't like the newer ones as much) and only works in Windows, but it's pretty good at what it does.

Ditto on VS6.  One of these days I should switch to one of the newer VS's...

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 14, 2010, 01:45:21 PMI think that's because Dreamweaver is mostly thought of as a web editor, not a programming tool. Oh, and it costs about $400 for a copy. Yeah, why pay that when there's a plethora of free, open-source editors floating around?

My only programming experiences are with Kompozer and SeaMonkey. Both of which are web editors (And WYSIWYG editors at that, which keep screwing around with the code and buggering it up...) and obviously don't count in this discussion.
Believe it or not, there's people stupid enough to think Dreamweaver is a good programming tool, generally coming from companies who buys collections  from Adobe and give the license for that crap to that intern who is in charge of the little HTML and PHP coding they do. Even so, Kompozer isn't all that far from it in features, and Microsoft Expression Web offers MORE for less than half the price.

What's worst is that Adobe actually took DW for an ide, till they created Coldfusion builder, which apparently is nothing but an eclipse plugin that costs over half the cost of Visual Studio 2010 Professional yet does nothing but developing to an extremely overpriced language nobody cares about.

RobbieThe1st

Personally, I like Geany(cross-platform) for my main coding work, Kate(kde) for light editing, reading text-files and overall Notepad replacement. I use vim a fair bit, mainly for editing config files or when I have to work remotely.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Mao

I should mention that I use gVim quite a bit as well.  For those one or two times where Eclipse is being a pain about colour coding things and I don't want to spend any time dicking around with it's editor configurations.

Reese Tora

I use ConText to program.  Mainly PHP & HTML with a little javascript and CSS thrown in.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation