05/02/2010 [DMFA#1113] Abel's brain broke

Started by AmigaDragon, May 02, 2010, 03:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2010, 09:08:32 AM
Well it's not that hard to imagine Dan thinking that Abel is gay.

After all, half the forum was convinced that Abel was gay before the soul-crushing strip 1084. :B
You mean the soul-crushing revelation that was made to someone Abel doesn't like for many reasons, and actually finds somewhat of a jerk (PKB, Abel?), and probably doesn't have much reason to be honest with? Yeah, fans will ALWAYS find loopholes in character revelations to support their own arguments, and JyrBel fans are no exception. ;)

Though, yeah, it is fairly damning... of the idea that him and Jy will be hooking up in the near future. It may never happen, but we'll just have to see.

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 11:55:18 AM
Quote from: Scarydragon on May 03, 2010, 06:15:51 AM
Only a webcomic can bring about this kind of debate. Who cares if Dan may or may not like gay people. Even characters in a comic are entitled to their opinions, however potentially politically incorrect they may be.

While of course all the characters have their opinions they are entitled to, I do care if Dan is a homophobe because his best friend is now gay. That's pretty much awkward central right there.

It's kind of sad Dan really doesn't think Jyrras is "normal" anymore. What kind of way is that to treat a friend? Even if he's only just pissy at Abel and trying to blame him for everything, it's still a pretty terrible thing to say.
Seriously, I can only imagine how badly Jy would react if he was right behind the doorway this entire time and was going to walk in at just the right moment...
*turns towards door*
Amber, you're not planning something like that, are you?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

It's kind of sad Dan really doesn't think Jyrras is "normal" anymore. What kind of way is that to treat a friend? Even if he's only just pissy at Abel and trying to blame him for everything, it's still a pretty terrible thing to say.

I think he's more worried that Abel is up to something nefarious that would hurt Jyrras in some way.  Dan doesn't trust 'Cubi, and Abel was foisted on him against his wishes, really.  He [Dan] has often suspected that Abel has ulterior motives, this may simply be an aspect of that.

Dan is a racist because that's effectively a survival tactic for adventurers, and he has met enough demons and suchlike to reinforce the stereotype there.  I'm not sure that Dan has a problem with homosexuality in the same kind of sense.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2010, 12:02:02 PM

I think he's more worried that Abel is up to something nefarious that would hurt Jyrras in some way.  Dan doesn't trust 'Cubi, and Abel was foisted on him against his wishes, really.  He [Dan] has often suspected that Abel has ulterior motives, this may simply be an aspect of that.

Dan is a racist because that's effectively a survival tactic for adventurers, and he has met enough demons and suchlike to reinforce the stereotype there.  I'm not sure that Dan has a problem with homosexuality in the same kind of sense.
So, to sum up what I think you're saying, Dan may be afraid that Abel turned Jy gay so that Jy would get a crush on him and then Abel could manipulate him for his various nefarious Cubi ends, combined with a lack of understanding about homosexuality or Jy's feelings in general? That's a somewhat reasonable fear given Dan's background, but still a bit nuts.

candide

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 02, 2010, 01:48:12 PM
Okay, first Dan's a racist, now he's a homophobe, and we already knew he was a sexist....

Does he have ANY saving graces left...?  :P
Yes!

He's not actively and knowingly racist (or wasn't) and "homophobic."  As others posted (and I partly agree with), Dan's personality is, "Is it a danger to others?  If yes, then kill it."  Rather blunt.  Not all that thoughtful.

Dan cares about others.  He's willing to put his life on the line for not only friends, but even strangers (he was an adventurer, after all).  He strongly believes in justice.  He's honest (e.g. his date with Matilda) and will take responsibility for his screw-ups (again, see his date with Matilda).  He strongly believes in justice.

Really, Dan's personality and behavior (putting aside the early years of DMFA), was at risk of trotting down the archetypical-hero-caricature path.  Adding non-goodie-goodie-friend-to-all aspects to his personality not only avoids the aforementioned path, it makes the character 3-dimensional.  It's a hallmark of good storytelling, and makes DMFA even more addicting {well, at least to me}.  So,  :goamber

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 02, 2010, 05:05:34 PM
Just read Amber's note on the front page.

I hope no one thinks anything Dan is saying right now has anything to do with Amber's own beliefs (I never did).  She's done a great job of creating characters with distinct personalities, beliefs, histories, etc. that make them feel REAL (a rarity among webcomics that I've read).  I may comment on what the characters are saying, especially if I don't agree, but the fact that I'm addressing the characters and not Amber herself is to her credit.
This needs to be repeated as frequently as possible, Baal.  I'm worried that the rants on the main page disappear, because I think that people really, really need to read that {now vanished} rant before reading the past few strips... and jumping to conclusions about Amber.

M

Yes, that's true, Dan has always been thinking Abel's up to something even though Abel really hasn't done anything (because Dan's kind of dumb), but we can't really fault him too much because of his background in adventuring. But the way he phrased his thoughts were still pretty ignorant and insulting towards Jyrras (because Dan's kind of dumb).

So maybe Dan's not really homophobic, just idiotic.  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 12:12:25 PM
But the way he phrased his thoughts were still pretty ignorant and insulting towards Jyrras (because Dan's kind of dumb).
Granted.

Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2010, 12:05:48 PM
So, to sum up what I think you're saying, Dan may be afraid that Abel turned Jy gay so that Jy would get a crush on him and then Abel could manipulate him for his various nefarious Cubi ends, combined with a lack of understanding about homosexuality or Jy's feelings in general? That's a somewhat reasonable fear given Dan's background, but still a bit nuts.

This wouldn't be the first time - remember his outburst in strip 723.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 12:12:25 PM

Yes, that's true, Dan has always been thinking Abel's up to something even though Abel really hasn't done anything (because Dan's kind of dumb), but we can't really fault him too much because of his background in adventuring. But the way he phrased his thoughts were still pretty ignorant and insulting towards Jyrras (because Dan's kind of dumb).

So maybe Dan's not really homophobic, just idiotic.  :U
How's the old saying go? "Never ascribe to active malice what might instead be ascribed to stupidity?" Something like that?

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 03, 2010, 12:20:59 PM
Quote from: Jairus on May 03, 2010, 12:05:48 PM

This wouldn't be the first time - remember his outburst in strip 723.
Which adds strength to the "Dan's just an idiot" argument. It's a long-term problem, rather than something introduced for cheap drama.

Mao

I think Dan being a bit of an idiot and being outwardly antagonistic towards Abel for a while (for various, easily explainable reasons) is the likely culprit here.  They may be friends, but I'm friends with folks that I dig at, too.  Balade for example (those who attend the webcasts already know this).

Brunhidden

its all a conspiracy, i know it, but who is the mastermind behind this homosexual epedemic?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Bjalf

While of course all the characters have their opinions they are entitled to, I do care if Dan is a homophobe because his best friend is now gay. That's pretty much awkward central right there.
I don't see the homophobia. Dan seemed completely supportive of Jyrras, with no problems with Jyrras being gay. I think Dan will support Jyrras 100% whatever happens, except for Jyrras hooking up with Abel, the horrible, evil, mind-controlling cubi.

I can also understand Dan's reluctance to "being turned gay" by Abel. Dan is perfectly comfortable with his own sexual orientation, and just doesn't want to change. Matilda would be so disappointed!

In Dan's defense, things work differently in the DMFA universe compared to ours. Unlikely as it is, fashion make-overs could well have unforeseen consequences. We don't know for sure, and Dan is just basing his assumptions on his own observations. It's totally scientific!   :D

M

Quote from: Bjalf on May 03, 2010, 02:33:51 PM
I don't see the homophobia. Dan seemed completely supportive of Jyrras, with no problems with Jyrras being gay. I think Dan will support Jyrras 100% whatever happens, except for Jyrras hooking up with Abel, the horrible, evil, mind-controlling cubi.
Yeah, I don't really think Dan is a homophobe, either, considering how supportive he was like you said. But the whole "normal" comment just kind of put me off. :/

Congo Jack

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 02:58:26 PM
Quote from: Bjalf on May 03, 2010, 02:33:51 PM
Yeah, I don't really think Dan is a homophobe, either, considering how supportive he was like you said. But the whole "normal" comment just kind of put me off. :/
It's probably Dan seeing how unhappy Jyrras now and blaming it on "becoming gay".

Bjalf

Rather bad choice of words, absolutely. But in a twisted way, it's actually a brilliant statement. It's short, painfully to the point, completely wrong, and impossible to argue with, at least in a rational manner. Dan is proven right by being so wrong that Abel can't find any arguments against him. I just love it! I'm still chuckling over Abel's reaction and expressions.

joshofspam

Quote from: Bjalf on May 03, 2010, 03:23:14 PM

Rather bad choice of words, absolutely. But in a twisted way, it's actually a brilliant statement. It's short, painfully to the point, completely wrong, and impossible to argue with, at least in a rational manner. Dan is proven right by being so wrong that Abel can't find any arguments against him. I just love it! I'm still chuckling over Abel's reaction and expressions.

Just wait until Abel figures out that he'll probably have to keep Dan from being shredded for insulting a clan at the academy.

Oh. What a school setion that will be my friend. :P
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Bjalf

Quote from: joshofspam on May 03, 2010, 03:34:29 PM
Just wait until Abel figures out that he'll probably have to keep Dan from being shredded for insulting a clan at the academy.

Oh. What a school setion that will be my friend. :P

I am sooo looking forward to that story arc. It shouldn't be too far away now, Dan's supposed to come back to SAIA one month every year.

But first, horrible awkward embarrassment with Lorenda at Kria's place.    :eager

M

Quote from: Bjalf on May 03, 2010, 03:47:34 PM
I am sooo looking forward to that story arc. It shouldn't be too far away now, Dan's supposed to come back to SAIA one month every year.

But first, horrible awkward embarrassment with Lorenda at Kria's place.    :eager

Oh yes. Awkward moments are the best. >:3

Drayco84

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 04:15:41 PM
Quote from: Bjalf on May 03, 2010, 03:47:34 PM

Oh yes. Awkward moments are the best. >:3
Even better...

Fa'Lina bursts in to remind Dan about his promise while in the middle of an awkward moment at Kria's...

Bonus points if Dan is currently "wishing for something to interrupt this awkward moment."...

Unsilenced

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2010, 09:08:32 AM
Well it's not that hard to imagine Dan thinking that Abel is gay.

After all, half the forum was convinced that Abel was gay before the soul-crushing strip 1084. :B

I'm still not convinced.

>.>

<.<

*Is nuked from orbit by rest of forum*
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on May 03, 2010, 01:14:53 PM
its all a conspiracy, i know it, but who is the mastermind behind this homosexual epedemic?

TGH.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Arcblade

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 03, 2010, 06:58:23 PM
Quote from: Brunhidden on May 03, 2010, 01:14:53 PM

TGH.

Gasp!  You're right!  I haven't seen him around in awhile.  Clearly, this means he's plotting from the shadows.  We're all doomed!

Edit: And by "awhile," I mean... a couple weeks.  >_>

Thirty Second Artbomb

I hate to do this, but: It's just a comic, you should really just relax.

Besides, part of Dan's charm is that he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer - even if he does have a startling variety of sharp knife-like things at his disposal. So grab some popcorn and a tasty beverage, sit back, and enjoy the ride. :p

Scow2

I don't like the portrayal of the Hero of the comic as a complete bigot... Of course, written language lacks emphasis, so either Dan went on an ignorant anti-queer rant there, or he's accusing Abel of actually rewiring Jyrras's orientation through incubi mind-manipulating treachery... which is within the extent of power Dan suspects Incubi of possessing.

Honestly, I'm really starting to dislike the way Dan seems to becoming dumber and more unsympathetic as the comic goes on.

I like my theory: The reason Dan's suddenly become fashion-sensitive is because he's become a lot more masculine. His mind and body went from flexible Bishonen to Masculine Man looking to put down those who are a Disgrace to the Man Race! (Such as Ambiguous or Flamboyant queers)

Turnsky

Quote from: Scow2 on May 04, 2010, 10:44:52 PM
I don't like the portrayal of the Hero of the comic as a complete bigot... Of course, written language lacks emphasis, so either Dan went on an ignorant anti-queer rant there, or he's accusing Abel of actually rewiring Jyrras's orientation through incubi mind-manipulating treachery... which is within the extent of power Dan suspects Incubi of possessing.

Honestly, I'm really starting to dislike the way Dan seems to becoming dumber and more unsympathetic as the comic goes on.

I like my theory: The reason Dan's suddenly become fashion-sensitive is because he's become a lot more masculine. His mind and body went from flexible Bishonen to Masculine Man looking to put down those who are a Disgrace to the Man Race! (Such as Ambiguous or Flamboyant queers)

deal with it, or go home. it's that simple.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Unsilenced

I don't really think Dan is a "bigot" by any means. After all, he doesn't ever show any real hate or distrust of gays. He's just concerned for his own masculinity.

That and he never was the brightest bulb in the box.

He's not being homophobic now any more than he was being sexist in the early comics when he was constantly questing after Amazons.
Post of the Dead:

M

Quote from: Thirty Second Artbomb on May 04, 2010, 09:55:43 PM
I hate to do this, but: It's just a comic, you should really just relax.

Besides, part of Dan's charm is that he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer - even if he does have a startling variety of sharp knife-like things at his disposal. So grab some popcorn and a tasty beverage, sit back, and enjoy the ride. :p

But my semantics! :O

(Kidding aside, Joel and the bot's have some sage advice.)

Quote from: Unsilenced on May 04, 2010, 11:27:09 PM
I don't really think Dan is a "bigot" by any means. After all, he doesn't ever show any real hate or distrust of gays. He's just concerned for his own masculinity.

That and he never was the brightest bulb in the box.

He's not being homophobic now any more than he was being sexist in the early comics when he was constantly questing after Amazons.

Yeah, I agree. Honestly, I think we all know Dan's a pretty good guy at heart. He just the type of person who can lack eloquence in some situations. (But mostly when Abel's involved. My god, Dan, give it a rest :U)

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Unsilenced on May 04, 2010, 11:27:09 PM

He has other (cubi and jerk) reasons for his animosity toward Abel while also assuming Abel's gay. He seemed ok with Jyrras being gay, just stating he wouldn't reciprocate, just stay with the regular friendship.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

joshofspam

Now let's see if Dan keeps quite long enough for Abel to think what he is about to tell Dan and then get Dan totally out of the dark closet that he's been hiding from the world by a huge wall of text to bash Dan's head against until he gets what Abel is about to tell him.

This might require a scene switch. This could take a while for Abel to fix.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Scarydragon

Amber, using Dan as proxy, has unleashed war upon the internet. Grab what you can and run! :B
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Unsilenced

Quote from: Scarydragon on May 06, 2010, 12:02:23 PM
Amber, using Dan as proxy, has unleashed war upon the internet. Grab what you can and run! :B

LOOT AND PILLAGE!!!!!!!

*Picks up Scarydragon and runs*
Post of the Dead:

Mao

*coughs a bit*  Eh, if she really wanted to start a war she'd think of something else to do it with.  While I won't claim her to be the 'super-genius' folks like to make her out to be, I will admit that she's pretty creative and has a good sense of humor.  Using her comic to start a war wouldn't really suit her style.