03/28/10 [PF #108] - BLBPLB!

Started by Zedd, March 29, 2010, 08:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedd

Man you took the words out my mouth Dorcan,as long he's clean then it shouldn't matter how smart mouthed the robo doggy can be :3

Madmann135

That was an outcome I did not expect.
Though one would expect that this would be a great lesson for our friend Dorcan.  When Daryil is involved BEWARE!

Daryil really angry looks less harmless and more deadly.  I must say even the friendliest of roses have thorns.

and... that is one FREAKING HUGE DRYER!

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Ren Gaulen

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 29, 2010, 08:52:38 PM
Daryil really angry looks less harmless and more deadly.  I must say even the friendliest of roses have thorns.
I did wonder whether I'd overdone it, actually, adding all the blood.  Incidentally, the blood is from the enforcer who killed his lover, not Ti'Nera, and Daryil did not eat his soul.  Destroying Ti'Nera was a somewhat more... intimate... affair that we won't be showing in-comic.

Quoteand... that is one FREAKING HUGE DRYER!
It's based on this:
http://www.amdry.com/products/industrial/ad464.asp
...needs a gas connection and a 3-phase supply, though the latter should go without saying :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sind

Raskahn

Gotta love the expression of Jakob in that last panel, would you say that's his Cross look?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on March 30, 2010, 06:17:44 AM
Gotta love the expression of Jakob in that last panel, would you say that's his Cross look?
That's the idea, yes  >:3

EDIT:

I forgot to thank Keaton for today's tagline.

joshofspam

So what is this?

A joke at Daryl expense that Dorkan should have known better not to have tried in the first place or was this him getting out of the shower and water blocking his speech way?

Either way I've heard of the saying all washed up, but never new it followed a trip to the driers. I should have known it was the only logical conclusion. :P

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on March 30, 2010, 10:11:30 AM
A joke at Daryl expense that Dorkan should have known better not to have tried in the first place or was this him getting out of the shower and water blocking his speech way?
Well, there's two parts to this.  Firstly there's what's happened, and then there's why.
What's happened is that Daryil spotted Dorcan climbing into the washing machine and for reasons of his own, helped him, Daryil being very much a whimsical sort.  Jakob, displeased at this, forced Dorcan into the drier.
Why Dorcan chose to do this in the first place is something that will be covered in the next chapter.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 30, 2010, 10:57:03 AM
Quote from: joshofspam on March 30, 2010, 10:11:30 AM
Well, there's two parts to this.  Firstly there's what's happened, and then there's why.
What's happened is that Daryil spotted Dorcan climbing into the washing machine and for reasons of his own, helped him, Daryil being very much a whimsical sort.  Jakob, displeased at this, forced Dorcan into the drier.
Why Dorcan chose to do this in the first place is something that will be covered in the next chapter.

Thanks tapes for clearing that up for me.

Though I probably should have put Jakob in front of expense huh?

Gee I thought my mind was suppose to go as I got older, not my mind go's before my age. :doh
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on March 30, 2010, 02:06:22 AM
--IMAGE SNIPPED--
I'll just leave it here~ :B

And here I thought Jyraneth cubi were the only ones who turned their murders into art projects. :mwaha :boogie Daryil is so full of win!

Is Dorcan basically testing the limits of his new android body?  I mean, going into an industrial washer would not only test his IP-68 compliance, but also his body's ability to withstand shock resistance to some degree, right?

Speaking of the circuitry protected by the IP-68 compliance, are their brains actually brain-shaped, like Ghost in the Shell androids, or are they compact room-temp superconducting chips, like a Terminator's processor?

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on March 30, 2010, 01:26:00 PM
Is Dorcan basically testing the limits of his new android body?  I mean, going into an industrial washer would not only test his IP-68 compliance, but also his body's ability to withstand shock resistance to some degree, right?
Either that or he's just gone off the wall, which would be a grave concern to Jakob.

QuoteSpeaking of the circuitry protected by the IP-68 compliance, are their brains actually brain-shaped, like Ghost in the Shell androids, or are they compact room-temp superconducting chips, like a Terminator's processor?
Somewhere between.  The bulk of it is the neural net, which is basically a cuboid, but there is plenty of support and driver circuitry attached to it.  No attempt has been made to make it look like an organic brain if that's what you mean, but it does have the constraints that it's designed to fit in roughly the same space.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 30, 2010, 01:36:32 PM
Either that or he's just gone off the wall, which would be a grave concern to Jakob.

QuoteSpeaking of the circuitry protected by the IP-68 compliance, are their brains actually brain-shaped, like Ghost in the Shell androids, or are they compact room-temp superconducting chips, like a Terminator's processor?
Somewhere between.  The bulk of it is the neural net, which is basically a cuboid, but there is plenty of support and driver circuitry attached to it.  No attempt has been made to make it look like an organic brain if that's what you mean, but it does have the constraints that it's designed to fit in roughly the same space.

Nothing like Data's positronic brain (or I'Robot for that matter)?

ChaosMageX

Is Dorcan basically testing the limits of his new android body?  I mean, going into an industrial washer would not only test his IP-68 compliance, but also his body's ability to withstand shock resistance to some degree, right?

That raises another interesting question about the design of these android bodies and the link between the mind and the soul.
Assuming that the act of the soul transference essentially pre-programs the artificial brain with the individual's memories and personality, how well is this programming?

Does transferring the soul literally write code into the artificial brain or something like that?

And how well is this code translated from the soul?  This could be the reason why Dorcan is possibly going insane, because the programming established by the soul transference is slowly degrading, which is bad, because that could lead to a cascading failure of the neural net and the subsequent death of the android.

The end of the episode The Offspring of Star Trek The Next Generation seems to show a catastrophic neural net failure that resulted from the rapid development of a soul.

Because there is no fine line separating the data from the soul, or an efficient means of translating between the two, errors will inevitably result and those errors could have any number of negative effects on the individual who was soul transferred, ranging from minor quirks to insanity and brain death.

Also, even if the translation of the soul's memories and data was completely successful, what's stopping a malicious individual from tampering with the programming after the transference is complete?
If they were tech savvy enough to really know what they were doing, they could do anything from making minor tweaks to the individual's behavior to making them a completely different person.
Giving someone an android body could prove to be the most efficient way yet of completely enslaving their mind without their notice, granting the right individuals the ability to literally turn off their free will and get them to do their bidding in a similar fashion to the actives with sleeper personalities in Dollhouse.
Since Daryil did the soul transference, it doesn't seem outside his character to tamper with Dorcan's personality to mold it closer to his own image, and if it wasn't him, it could have been someone else with access to either his soul or his programming.

Another possibility for mental corruption would be computer viruses.  Even if Dorcan's body is IP-68 compliant, is there still a way for him to interface his mind with a computer, either wirelessly or through a cable connection of some sort?
If that is indeed the case and he connected to the internet, he could have caught something nasty that's corrupting his internal mental processes.  Heh, at least it isn't making him want to eat everything in sight. ;)

And yeeeeah...I'm doing with my exposition now.  Overthinking speculation FTW! :giggle

Somewhere between.  The bulk of it is the neural net, which is basically a cuboid, but there is plenty of support and driver circuitry attached to it.  No attempt has been made to make it look like an organic brain if that's what you mean, but it does have the constraints that it's designed to fit in roughly the same space.

So, you're saying that the neural net itself is a cube, but there's circuitry attached to it that gives it a rough lobed shape that can fight inside the skull structure?

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 30, 2010, 07:46:59 PM
Nothing like Data's positronic brain (or I'Robot for that matter)?
I never saw "I Robot", having determined that it didn't really match the book - which I have read.  My interest stopped there, so I can't comment on the film.  However, I was never really into the whole positronic brain concept anyway - making a brain that uses antiparticles just seems like a Bad Idea to me.  Pretty revolutionary idea for 1939 or whenever, though.

Quote from: ChaosMageX on March 31, 2010, 02:42:41 AM
Assuming that the act of the soul transference essentially pre-programs the artificial brain with the individual's memories and personality, how well is this programming?

Does transferring the soul literally write code into the artificial brain or something like that?
Something like.  They have to sync up, then it should work just like a normal brain.

QuoteAlso, even if the translation of the soul's memories and data was completely successful, what's stopping a malicious individual from tampering with the programming after the transference is complete?
If they were tech savvy enough to really know what they were doing, they could do anything from making minor tweaks to the individual's behavior to making them a completely different person.
Not much, but it would be far easier just to use some kind of possession charm, and that would work on regular Beings too.  FWIW, the mind and memories aren't any easier to manipulate just because they're being stored in an artificial medium, you'd still have to do something akin to full blown 'Cubi-style mind-reading in order to make that kind of alteration.

However, the support circuitry - as opposed to the neural net itself - does control certain personality traits, primarily their sensitivity to emotions -  you could for example adjust how quick someone is to anger.

QuoteAnother possibility for mental corruption would be computer viruses.  Even if Dorcan's body is IP-68 compliant, is there still a way for him to interface his mind with a computer, either wirelessly or through a cable connection of some sort?
Given physical access to the data connector you could probably hack into the QNX subsystem and dick around with the traits, but not much more than that.  There isn't a direct mind-computer interface at this time, and it would probably be a bit too dangerous if there was.

QuoteSo, you're saying that the neural net itself is a cube, but there's circuitry attached to it that gives it a rough lobed shape that can fight inside the skull structure?
It's more brick-shaped.  On the back of it are a couple of stacks of PCB, a backup battery, emergency soul-gem etc, and one of these boards has the power and data connectors.  These run down the back of the neck in front of the spine, rather than through it.  The external data connector that is shown when they download Josh's motor region is fibre-optic.

As an aside it's worth mentioning that the speech system does make use of the throat, tongue and mouth, otherwise you'd end up with something that doesn't look natural and is creepy as a result.  The fundamentals are synthesized and output through a compressed air system using something like the Auxetophone system (google it), they are shaped by the mouth as they would be normally.  (As a result, Dorcan's voice is probably a bit different since they didn't have a body to take measurements from - they'd have to go from his memories and try to match it up).   Anyway, this poses extra constraints in terms of how much space is available.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 31, 2010, 04:38:44 AM
As an aside it's worth mentioning that the speech system does make use of the throat, tongue and mouth, otherwise you'd end up with something that doesn't look natural and is creepy as a result.  The fundamentals are synthesized and output through a compressed air system using something like the Auxetophone system (google it), they are shaped by the mouth as they would be normally.  (As a result, Dorcan's voice is probably a bit different since they didn't have a body to take measurements from - they'd have to go from his memories and try to match it up).   Anyway, this poses extra constraints in terms of how much space is available.

My guess would be that the voice would have a fast pulse sound to it (due to the air compressor working), but still sound relatively close to his original voice.

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 31, 2010, 07:52:23 PM
My guess would be that the voice would have a fast pulse sound to it (due to the air compressor working), but still sound relatively close to his original voice.
Depends how the compressor works and whether there's any smoothing - a pipe organ has a wind-chest which ensures the airflow is continuous.

The site still seems to be a it erratic, so:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/fridge038.png

Zedd

Oh boy! And this joke beats DeviantArt's current practical joke

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on April 01, 2010, 04:21:59 AM

What could have been would have been funnier.  If we get that picture finished at some point I'll probably use it as filler.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 01, 2010, 04:26:13 AM
Quote from: Zedd on April 01, 2010, 04:21:59 AM

What could have been would have been funnier.  If we get that picture finished at some point I'll probably use it as filler.
How does turning everyones icon into Twilight icons sound to you?

Gabi

Good joke. Although something similar was done on TPM once, the joke being the lack of a joke.

As for the strip... I think this makes Dorcan the bubbliest character at this point. (Sorry.)
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

LionHeart

Let's hope this doesn't become a soap opera.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Tapewolf

Okay, the comic is probably going to update tomorrow.  Strange Bedfellows is up, though.  Hope you enjoyed it.

Gabi

I did. Especially the last 2 panels. I didn't get the 4th one, though. What does "and this gene expression is related to white magic" mean?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on April 02, 2010, 05:57:01 PM
I did. Especially the last 2 panels. I didn't get the 4th one, though. What does "and this gene expression is related to white magic" mean?

It means I suck at trying to cram Daryil's lecture about metabiochemistry into a single panel.
Suggestions for fixing it would be gratefully accepted.

Gabi

You could try substituting it for something like *Long lecture on the use of white magic in metabiochemistry*. If that's what you meant to imply. It would convey the idea and show that it was supposed to be a long lecture without having to actually write it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on April 02, 2010, 06:02:46 PM
You could try substituting it for something like *Long lecture on the use of white magic in metabiochemistry*. If that's what you meant to imply. It would convey the idea and show that it was supposed to be a long lecture without having to actually write it.

See if that's better.

Gabi

Ah. Yes, I think that's more easily understandable. :)

Chakat Blackspots

Unless someone misread that panel, it says "light magic", not "white magic"