03/21/10 [DMFA#1099] - Pip Sure Seems to Talk a Lot Lately

Started by Rafe, March 21, 2010, 03:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

And apparently Mab's living quarters have almost as much strange stuff packed in there as her glen did before it blew up.
Rafe

Madd the Sane

Well, Mab and Pip are ruled out as the cause of Abel's nightmare.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

e_voyager

i wouldn't rule pip out just yet. it could be a cover you know.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

senrath

Quote from: Rafe on March 21, 2010, 03:03:33 AM
And apparently Mab's living quarters have almost as much strange stuff packed in there as her glen did before it blew up.
It should have at least the same amount (unless she threw some out), as she still has the same "room" as before.  Just the door is now in a different place.

Nino

Mab's face in panel 2 and the caption work perfectly together >:3

Rafe

Quote from: Madd the Sane on March 21, 2010, 03:20:43 AM
Well, Mab and Pip are ruled out as the cause of Abel's nightmare.

Who knows what might have caused it?  Maybe they were the cause and don't even know it.  I guess we'll find out.

Literature and Mythology Time:
Many of you probably know that a fairy named Mab occurs in many places in English literature, often associated with sleep and dreams.  In Romeo and Juliet, Mercutio has a long soliloquy about Mab.  Part of it goes like this:

"O, then, I see Queen Mab hath been with you.
She is the fairies' midwife, and she comes
In shape no bigger than an agate-stone
On the fore-finger of an alderman,
Drawn with a team of little atomies
Athwart men's noses as they lie asleep;
Her wagon-spokes made of long spinners' legs,
The cover of the wings of grasshoppers,
The traces of the smallest spider's web,
The collars of the moonshine's watery beams,
Her whip of cricket's bone; the lash of film;
Her waggoner a small grey-coated gnat,
Not half so big as a round little worm
Prick'd from the lazy finger of a maid:
Her chariot is an empty hazel-nut
Made by the joiner squirrel or an old grub,
Time out o' mind the fairies' coachmakers.
And in this state she gallops night by night
Through lovers' brains, and then they dream of love..."
Rafe

AmigaDragon

What, Pip has no comment about the taste (or furry texture) of Abel's hand?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

nicoreon the tyrannical

Hungry hungry hippos and fay, sound like a dangerous combo to anyone else?

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: nicoreon the tyrannical on March 21, 2010, 03:47:35 AM

*Thinks for a moment*
Holy crap. Hippo-rodeo... with explosive spheres hidden among the regular ones, just for flavor. My mind has just exploded thinking about that level of epicness.

So, Pip wasn't the cause for Abel's nightmare? This is getting interesting :boogie

iceick

I still think Aniz is responsible. To see how much Abel has changed since he started going to SAIA.

A. Lurker

Quote from: nicoreon the tyrannical on March 21, 2010, 03:47:35 AM

Could be, but doesn't have to. Why wouldn't Mab be spending some family time with her daughter every now and again, after all?

Drako

I'm starting to question Pip's speaking ability now.  Since the thing with Abel is proven to be a dream, the start of it is likely to have been when Pip showed up; this seems likely since the Pip in Abel's dream is now demonstrated to have been a disguise for someone else.  The other two times when we see him speaking, he is with Mab.  Maybe her fae powers let her understand Pip when noone else can.

Sind

Bah D=

and here I was starting to get so fond of pip =/

Feather Dancer

Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Howl

This comic reminded me that fae are about as serious as a winged cupcake.

Tangent

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 21, 2010, 10:36:04 AM
I have only one question.

Who is winning?
Why, the comic is. That's why DMFA is full of win. =^-^=
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Bjalf

Quote from: Howl on March 21, 2010, 12:12:26 PM
This comic reminded me that fae are about as serious as a winged cupcake.

I went on a cupcake hunt once. I winged one.

I don't really think Pip is still pretending. Why should he when only Mab is around? That would mean besides the whole mysterious campaign he and Mab seem to be running, he'd also have an agenda on his own. And we have no evidence whatsoever for that.

Also, it really was a genuine dream then, and not a faked wake up. There goes that theory...

Quote from: Drako on March 21, 2010, 09:49:19 AM
I'm starting to question Pip's speaking ability now. [...] The other two times when we see him speaking, he is with Mab.  Maybe her fae powers let her understand Pip when noone else can.
Interesting idea. Though wouldn't he get some kind of special speech bubble then, like the Warp-Aci do?
I can see this lead to interesting hijinks if Pip should ever want to reveal that he is more than meets the eye.
Interestingly, in the latter comic, Mab even 'translates' Pips growls completely nonchalant and casually. That would be another argument for that theory. Of course it would be the ultimate conspiracy theorist Take That if everyone in Lost Lake actually already knew that Pip is a Fae(-ish creature), but didn't mention it, because it's simply common knowledge. Except to Abel, who is new and hasn't exactly shown much curiosity about the history of Lost Lake.

Psychedelic Mushroom

jeffh4

Quote from: e_voyager on March 21, 2010, 03:27:59 AM
i wouldn't rule pip out just yet. it could be a cover you know.
I doubt Pip would lie to Mab, and he would have needed to be awake to force his way into Abel's dream, anyway.

Good too see that Mab's priorities are still straight.  "Master plan for the universe" not as important as "Hungry, hungry hippos!"

AmigaDragon

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on March 21, 2010, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: Drako on March 21, 2010, 09:49:19 AM
I'm starting to question Pip's speaking ability now. [...] The other two times when we see him speaking, he is with Mab.  Maybe her fae powers let her understand Pip when noone else can.
Interesting idea. Though wouldn't he get some kind of special speech bubble then, like the Warp-Aci do

Special speech bubbles like warp aci, Dark Pegasus and Dr. Ink have denote some audio effect on their voices, not a different language. Usually in comics, different languages are indicated by enclosing them in other symbols, like *Beats me. Bugger woke me up.* or <I think he's a tad cracked.> The lack of such convention here tells me that he's likely speaking Furrae-Common.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Sunblink

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 21, 2010, 03:45:36 AM

Considering he's used Dan as a chewtoy for years, I think he's used to it :P

"No offense, Mab... but your friends taste horrible."

joshofspam

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 21, 2010, 03:27:18 PM

Of course his opinion of Mab's taste in friends is still debatable. ;)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Drayco84

Quote from: joshofspam on March 21, 2010, 03:55:45 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 21, 2010, 03:27:18 PM

Of course his opinion of Mab's taste in friends is still debatable. ;)
Seriously. I doubt he'd envision Dan as a giant steak if he tasted terrible. (Waaaaaaaay back in the archives if someone wants to look it up.)
Personally, he'd prolly be better if he was marinated in a red wine-based sauce, but that's just my opinion...

Kuari

I place my bet that the dream sequence was caused by Destania after this comic...  mostly since this isn't the first time Abel has dreamed since becoming an adult Cubi.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kuari on March 21, 2010, 07:18:11 PM
mostly since this isn't the first time Abel has dreamed since becoming an adult Cubi.

Are you sure?  He was reacting like it was.
Remember, when Destania got at him in SAIA, Abel was about Dan's current age, and Dan can still dream at the moment.  I imagine it probably starts to fade after the first century or so.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Naldru

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 21, 2010, 05:09:46 PM
Seriously. I doubt he'd envision Dan as a giant steak if he tasted terrible. (Waaaaaaaay back in the archives if someone wants to look it up.)
Personally, he'd prolly be better if he was marinated in a red wine-based sauce, but that's just my opinion...

Here it is
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Madmann135

I am now starting to wonder if Rose and Mab are playing the classic version or the Fae version of hungry hungry hippos.
...and if it is the Fae version what does it look like... or will us looking at it destroy our sense of reality as we know it?

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Trazz

Quote from: Naldru on March 21, 2010, 07:23:20 PM
Quote from: Drayco84 on March 21, 2010, 05:09:46 PM

Here it is

Oh, wow, #22, that's really old, back when colored comics were for special events only o.o

Nyomi

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 21, 2010, 07:22:32 PM
Quote from: Kuari on March 21, 2010, 07:18:11 PM
mostly since this isn't the first time Abel has dreamed since becoming an adult Cubi.

Are you sure?  He was reacting like it was.

If it isn't the first time, it's possible he was so startled because the entire thing seemed as if he were really awake and then it got weird (Pip was talking to him despite being 'killed;' Abel thought he proved Pip was lying only to be dead wrong).
Silly speculation aside, I don't think there is another instance of him dreaming since becoming an adult Cubi, but that only suggests more that someone is responsible for this instance. There aren't too many candidates with the knowledge Pip displayed, though.