03/13/10 [DMFA#1094] - This looks even worse.

Started by Caswin, March 13, 2010, 02:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayco84

Man, I was just gonna berate Amber to leaving such a cliffhanger, but now I see a number of possibilities...

1: Abel hit a can of tomato juice. (He's in  a bar, it's highly possible.) But, since Pip was cut off in mid-sentence, I doubt it.

2: While I don't want to see Pip dead, I won't be adverse to seeing him get hurt, and possibly taken down a couple pegs as a result. Besides, if things get any more serious in this comic, we'll NEED the comedy relief.

3: Yet another possible moment of character growth for Abel where he learns that reacting with violence can end with regrets that haunt him for the rest of his life? I hope so, otherwise "he'll be just like his father"... (Dammit, I though there was a Star Wars quote for this, but I can't find it...)

4: Mab will be/is involved. (That reminds me, Amber still hasn't shown us who the Big Bad is, yet... Or maybe she has...)

5: BOOKIE! TWENTY BUCKS ON "Dan-realizes-he-will/would-miss-the-little-hellspawn"!

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on March 13, 2010, 09:58:48 AM
On the other hand... Pip is the ONLY villain in the comic that I actually like.
Villain, Pip? Antagonist maybe, but not a strait up villain.

Quote from: JackTheCubiWolf on March 13, 2010, 10:18:22 AM
I'm still waiting for him to see Kira again.
Same here  :mowmeep I am just waiting for Abel to meet Kria :P

Quote from: Ry on March 13, 2010, 10:20:13 AM
I'm not even convinced Pip's been hit. The only reason I think he might is because he stopped talking- but for all we know Abel smashed a bottle of tomato juice or something like that and his phobia is coming into play now.  If paint can work up his fear of blood (which can stop him in his tracks)- so can tomato juice/sauce/whatever.
When stressed, blood-like substances can also induce his haemophobia.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Magic

There is no open wound on Abel's tentacle that would suggest a bite, as that would potentially be too graphic for PG rating, and following that statement Pip is suspiciously off screen at the time blood is introduced. This does suggest contact.

(Neither does there exist any concrete evidence of Abel hurting himself, considering how all his other tentacles are fine and bloodless despite having broken through the floor and potentially coming into contact with splinters and jagged broken wood.)

There is also no evidence of there being remodeling in the pub last I checked, and Abel is quite clean about his workplace, so there is no reason why there is paint or condiments on the pub floor. Besides which, the latter two would have completely soaked Abel's hand or put tomato residue on it, not creating characteristic blood splatters.

The blood splatter tells me the tentacle slammed onto some decently sized part of Pip most likely being the lower back somewhat above the base of Pip's tail. (The panel immediately before had Pip turning his 'back' on Abel.) The blood originated from under the tentacle, coming upward, splitting some ways on the tentacle. The pattern might suggest that the tentacle was in an L shaped bludgeon before recoiled back to Abel in a relaxed position, with only the base making contact with Pip.

Judging by how soaked the tentacle is from bottom to the highest part before the blood splits, I'd say the wound is deep enough to potentially lay bare and/or crush internal organs considering the comparable force of a wing tentacle being capable of breaking through the floor akin to a sledgehammer.

(Strength/durability reference: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_99.php [MA warning, Abel Story], where the tentacles are blades capable of slicing through bone, muscle, skin and internal organs without so effortlessly as to show off clean cuts.)

Then again, much to the joy of well wishers, I could be wrong. Just tossing this out there.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Ghostwish

Pass the popcorn.

No, not for the strip, for this thread!  :mowtongue

Drayco84

Ry

Quote from: Ellian on March 13, 2010, 11:30:16 AMSomehow I still doubt that Abel is actually fighting Pip here. We all should know that Cubi are shapeshifters by now, and possibly Abel knows that even better.
On the other hand, we can only speculate if drakes can really talk. Maybe Abel knows for sure that they can not, which would immediately lead him to the assumption that he is not facing Pip.
It wouldn't surprise me if they can. And if they can't, then Mab is almost definitely involved in this. I highly doubt she'd fail to realize that the "Pip" who could speak wasn't her friend if he was an impostor. Either way I think she might be involved.
Oh- I just remembered when Mab (and Pip) and Fa'lina had a talk- I'll bet that Fa' is involved as well, then, and that's where Pip is getting his info.  I really think that this entire thing was 100% itentional, and it's likely that Abel was supposed to react like that.

QuoteA hint is possibly Abel asking "Who are you". He would know Pip well enough not to ask him such a question, I daresay. However, this would count as an argument against Pip being actually Aniz, because apparently Abel is convinced that Pip is not himself here, but not convinced that he is his father... well, probably the classic Star Wars moment has been used too often anyway.
It's hard to tell. If he doesnt' know that drakes can talk or thinks no one at lost lake (including Pip) would know anything about his past- then he'd suspect it was an impostor whether or not he is. He isn't necessarily picking up on any morphing magic/etc.

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 13, 2010, 11:57:45 AMYes he did... after the chase.
Ah, right.  I think that further supports the idea Pip isn't that hurt. A similar attack didn't even break Regina's skin, and I don't believe undead are inherently less harmable (could be wrong), they can just reattach themselves. Even if undead are more resilient- drake scales are pretty strong, right?

I really think that, even if he managed to hit Pip, he didn't break the skin, the "blood" is from something else.

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 13, 2010, 12:12:33 PM1: Abel hit a can of tomato juice. (He's in  a bar, it's highly possible.) But, since Pip was cut off in mid-sentence, I doubt it.  
It might be that he hit Pip, hence Pip cutting off, but not enough to do serious harm, and also hit a thing of tomato stuff (maybe grazed pip's cheek and didn't pull back before hitting the juice).  The shock of being hit, even if it didn't hurt, could make him stop in his tracks.

Quote3: Yet another possible moment of character growth for Abel where he learns that reacting with violence can end with regrets that haunt him for the rest of his life? I hope so, otherwise "he'll be just like his father"... (Dammit, I though there was a Star Wars quote for this, but I can't find it...)
I expect Abel to have a serious break down after this.  I think being "just like his father" is one of his greatest fears.  Realizing that he reacted the same way his dad did with Henya should cause some serious, and much needed, introspection.

Quote4: Mab will be/is involved. (That reminds me, Amber still hasn't shown us who the Big Bad is, yet... Or maybe she has...)
If Mab wasn't involved in orchestrating this- she will be involved soon.  

Quote from: Magic on March 13, 2010, 12:20:08 PMThere is also no evidence of there being remodeling in the pub last I checked, and Abel is quite clean about his workplace, so there is no reason why there is paint or condiments on the pub floor.  
Who said anything about it being on the floor? Abel is smashing through things everywhere. It's totally possible that he smashes through a cupboard/wherever they keep such things and smashed a tomato thing or causing a container of red stuff to fall on the tentacle, splattering his tentacle in the process. It doesn't even have to be tomato junk- it could be anything that's red, including syrup or whatever else.

Crawldragon

I love how Amber's only commentary on this was "Ooooh, me so sleepy."

Seriously though... this is probably the most major event in the entire comic, assuming it is in fact Pip that was hit. Jeez, even if the hit did travel through the floor and hit a rat instead it would be a major turning point.

Dangit, Williams, you're not supposed to kill off the cute comic relief! WAI!?!!?!?

... I wonder if that look on Abel's face means regret, relief, or fear... Not only does his expression change, he clasps his hand over his chest. That's interesting emoting for someone who was just hellbent on killing someone.

Magic

QuoteWho said anything about it being on the floor? Abel is smashing through things. It's totally possible that he smashes through a cupboard/wherever they keep such things and smashed a tomato thing or causing a container of red stuff to fall on the tentacle, splattering his tentacle in the process.

And the reason why I assumed Abel was hitting the floor is because he was doing exactly that during his 'rampage' panel. (There were no tables in his path, suggesting to me that they were both moving out into the open.) Unless they were both headed towards the kitchen I doubt there are cupboards out on the open area of the pub where people congregate. But let's say you're right, it still falls into the argument I presented that paint or condiments can't create little rivulets characteristic of blood's tendency to want to form circular splatters.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Liatai

Maybe not paint or condiments... but red wine might. I can see it now... Alexsi coming downstairs (probably with her mallet in tow) to find out what's causing the ruckus, and then... "MY COUNTERS! MY FLOOR! MY PINOT NOIR!" Cue carnage.

Maybe getting Abel fired is part of Pip's grand plan. :P

candide

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2010, 06:55:24 AMOf course if Pip is really a disguised Fae, there's no telling what will happen.
Huh.  Interesting.  My second thought on seeing this strip was that maybe Pip is a fae-drake, hence his ability to talk and association with Mab.

I can still accept that he's Mab's pet-drake who went and got all magic-upgraded, though.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2010, 04:49:03 AMThough it has to be said I'm a bit more concerned for Abel at the moment, being that Pip is friends with a Fae, and that Alexsi is going to go ape when she sees the state of the Inn.  Also that he's gone on a rampage is unlikely to sit well with any patrons.
Especially and specifically not Dan, the ex-adventurer.  I can imagine Dan's reaction, "I knew it!  I knew all 'cubi were evil and that you were only putting on an act, Abel, to try and make me one of you!"

Quote from: Nyomi on March 13, 2010, 02:50:58 AM
As for Abel's temper, it unfortunately comes from his father. Anyone reminded of this?
http://missmab.com/Comics/Abel_99.php
And that was my first thought on seeing this strip.

Accompanied by a sickening sinking feeling that these 4 words might be in the next strip, uttered by Pip before falling unconscious (or, if you prefer, dead):

"Like ... father ... like ... son..."

VAE

Quote from: Drayco84 on March 13, 2010, 12:12:33 PM

4: Mab will be/is involved. (That reminds me, Amber still hasn't shown us who the Big Bad is, yet... Or maybe she has...)

I do not think there IS a big bad- there is creature council, Jyrras, Cubi clans, dragons ....
everyone more or less powerful and trying to further their agenda (in Jyrras's case , unknowingly)
It is kind of like real life..
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: candide on March 13, 2010, 12:54:43 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2010, 04:49:03 AMThough it has to be said I'm a bit more concerned for Abel at the moment, being that Pip is friends with a Fae, and that Alexsi is going to go ape when she sees the state of the Inn.  Also that he's gone on a rampage is unlikely to sit well with any patrons.
Especially and specifically not Dan, the ex-adventurer.  I can imagine Dan's reaction, "I knew it!  I knew all 'cubi were evil and that you were only putting on an act, Abel, to try and make me one of you!"

Previously, I'd have agreed.  If Abel was doing this to a random patron, I'd still agree.
But now that Dan has done exactly this to Regina, I don't think he can still cling on to that theme.
(Especially given that Abel's target is a drake that Dan himself has had fights with for years.)

I don't think it would be too much out of character for him to try and talk Abel down, all the while going "s..., Alexsi's going to kill us for this..."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Also.. seeing this from the perspective of a troll.. Pip knows a lot about Abel.  He probably knows about your spotted love interest's problems with the sight of blood or things that look like blood during duress and could be using it to his advantage.

Netrogo

Quote from: Drathorin on March 13, 2010, 11:05:58 AM
You might be, but that's because you don't have brain damage.

Awww we touched a nerve on the Pip fanboy. He ams breaking out the mean words and insults now to reaffirm his superiority.

Now I just hope the little bastard drake dies so I can enjoy it being rubbed in your face frankly.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Mao

Quote from: Netrogo on March 13, 2010, 01:08:50 PM
Awww we touched a nerve on the Pip fanboy. He ams breaking out the mean words and insults now to reaffirm his superiority.

Now I just hope the little bastard drake dies so I can enjoy it being rubbed in your face frankly.

Awww we touched a nerve on the Abel fanboy. He ams breaking out the mean words and insults now to reaffirm his superiority.

Now I just hope the little bastard 'cubi dies for overreacting so I can enjoy it being rubbed in your face frankly.

YAY! I CAN TROLL TOO!  YAY!

VAE

Quote from: Ry on March 13, 2010, 12:32:33 PM

Ah, right.  I think that further supports the idea Pip isn't that hurt. A similar attack didn't even break Regina's skin, and I don't believe undead are inherently less harmable (could be wrong), they can just reattach themselves. Even if undead are more resilient- drake scales are pretty strong, right?

I really think that, even if he managed to hit Pip, he didn't break the skin, the "blood" is from something else.
But Dan is a cubi n00b!
He was most likely just using his tentacles subconsciously back then, without reshaping them from heads to somehting sharp, even.
Regina is not undead she is demoness.
Whereas Abel is 12x as old as dan at least, and the cast page says he was one of the best students back at academy (and seemingly did not fly out of battle tactics like Aary)
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2010, 01:00:46 PM

Previously, I'd have agreed.  If Abel was doing this to a random patron, I'd still agree.
But now that Dan has done exactly this to Regina, I don't think he can still cling on to that theme.
(Especially given that Abel's target is a drake that Dan himself has had fights with for years.)

I don't think it would be too much out of character for him to try and talk Abel down, all the while going "s..., Alexsi's going to kill us for this..."
What? In what sense is trying to kill a longstanding enemy who nearly killed your friends (not to mention 12 other fellow beings) the same as trying to kill someone because you have "issues"??
Saphroneth

Netrogo

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2010, 01:11:06 PM

Awww we touched a nerve on the Abel fanboy. He ams breaking out the mean words and insults now to reaffirm his superiority.

Now I just hope the little bastard 'cubi dies for overreacting so I can enjoy it being rubbed in your face frankly.

YAY! I CAN TROLL TOO!  YAY!

Fatal flaw, I think Abel dieing would be equally hilarious. Also it's not trolling if it's a re-buttal.

Sunblink

Pip being stabbed activates a small bomb planted within his body that initiates his SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE.

He takes Abel down with him.

They both die.

What now? ಠ_ಠ

VAE

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 13, 2010, 01:18:40 PM
Pip being stabbed activates a small bomb that initiates his SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE.

They both die.

What now? ಠ_ಠ

Alexsi gets mad at Mab for her pet's bomb breaking her inn.
Saphroneth

Crawldragon

Quote from: danman on March 13, 2010, 01:19:29 PM
Pip being stabbed activates a small bomb that initiates his SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE.

They both die.

What now? ಠ_ಠ

Alexsi gets mad at Mab for her pet's bomb breaking her inn.
Thousands of fanfiction writers turn both into zombies... then hook them up with some undead characters.

Mao

Quote from: Netrogo on March 13, 2010, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2010, 01:11:06 PM

YAY! I CAN TROLL TOO!  YAY!

Fatal flaw, I think Abel dieing would be equally hilarious. Also it's not trolling if it's a re-buttal.

Fatal flaw: We apparently have a different definition of trolling.  You're posting with the sole intent (you even say so!) to get a rise out of him.  You want to rub it in his face?  You's a troll, son.

Also.. I'm a teapot.  Netrogo is a Kettle.  I called him black.  We know our own.

Keleth

Pip being stabbed activates a small bomb planted within his body that initiates his SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE.

They both die.

What now? ಠ_ಠ

Amber loses 85% of her fanbase as all the people who are gay for Abel leave.

Also

Help! I'm gay!

Netrogo

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2010, 01:23:51 PM

Fatal flaw: We apparently have a different definition of trolling.  You're posting with the sole intent (you even say so!) to get a rise out of him.  You want to rub it in his face?  You's a troll, son.

Also.. I'm a teapot.  Netrogo is a Kettle.  I called him black.  We know our own.

Alright I'll accept that. Although to be fair I was doing that because he first implied that I'm apparently brain damaged for not liking the Pip.

Keleth

Quote from: Netrogo on March 13, 2010, 01:29:01 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2010, 01:23:51 PM

Alright I'll accept that. Although to be fair I was doing that because he first implied that I'm apparently brain damaged for not liking the Pip.

No no, I said you were brain damaged for wanting pip dead for teasing Abel.

There's a difference.
Help! I'm gay!

Mao

Sorry guys, but as always seems to happen when people start getting emotional and butthurt about this comic...

I will run this retarded thread into the ground, or burn it so badly that it has no choice but to rise up from it's ashes like a PHOENIX!

Tapewolf

Quote from: danman on March 13, 2010, 01:13:38 PM
What? In what sense is trying to kill a longstanding enemy who nearly killed your friends (not to mention 12 other fellow beings) the same as trying to kill someone because you have "issues"??

Both of them lost control and went tentacular on someone.  That's the similarity I'm getting at, not the historical reasons for wanting to do it, which are basically irrelevant to my argument.

Dan was previously trying to deny he was a 'Cubi at all.  He meets Regina - by accident, remember - gets hit by a glass and goes into a full-blown 'Cubi rampage.  Remember, Dan hates magic, doesn't know how to shapeshift and has shown very little desire to learn how to control his abilities - this isn't the sort of thing he'd choose to do, he simply lost it.

Abel has been provoked by someone who has spent most of their life provoking Dan.  Abel - not for the best of reasons - has also lost it and got into a full-blown 'Cubi rampage, albeit with considerably better control over his abilities than Dan had.

What I'm saying is that Dan is hardly in a position to think that Abel is plotting to turn him into a monster, when he's experienced something very similar to what Abel appears to be going through.

EDIT:

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 13, 2010, 01:32:01 PM
Sorry guys, but as always seems to happen when people start getting emotional and butthurt about this comic...

Don't you think it's a good thing that Amber is able to draw people so deeply into it?

QuoteI will run this retarded thread into the ground, or burn it so badly that it has no choice but to rise up from it's ashes like a PHOENIX!

I wouldn't.  I really wouldn't.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2010, 01:34:01 PM
Quote from: danman on March 13, 2010, 01:13:38 PM

Both of them lost control and went tentacular on someone.  That's the similarity I'm getting at, not the historical reasons for wanting to do it, which are basically irrelevant to my argument.

Dan was previously trying to deny he was a 'Cubi at all.  He meets Regina - by accident, remember - gets hit by a glass and goes into a full-blown 'Cubi rampage.  Remember, Dan hates magic, doesn't know how to shapeshift and has shown very little desire to learn how to control his abilities - this isn't the sort of thing he'd choose to do, he simply lost it.

I dunno but being in a fight with someone who you can barely beat (previously) and passionately hate s exactly the time to unleash everything you can do ...
Also dan not so much hates magic as it has bad associations in his mind, due to the accident that happened with the rock.
Saphroneth

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 13, 2010, 01:34:01 PM

Don't you think it's a good thing that Amber is able to draw people so deeply into it?

Hmm, the same thing has happened in QC forums over some comics too, except that there was not so much important happening in the strip itself....
Not anything against DMFA, in fact it has become my favourite comic (ousting QC and XKCD from shared position 1)  but this is more of an effect of internet-induced stupidity than the story itself
Saphroneth

Wanderer