02/21/10 [DMFA #1091] - A Good Listener

Started by Baal Hadad, February 21, 2010, 02:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anker Steadfast

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Mao

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink.  I get drunk.  I fall down.  No problem!

Scow2

Quote from: Bjalf on February 23, 2010, 07:34:45 AM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 23, 2010, 05:14:06 AM
Nah, there was the time that the human flashed a lot of drakes, enraging them and having him and Merlitz run for it.

Strips 56, 57 and 58. Those strips are so old that they are possibly not canon.

Considering that those strips set up a significant part of Merlitz' backstory, I see no reason they aren't canon, and more evidence supports that they are. It's about Merlitz' first encounter with a human, which gave his former party the excuse to kick him out of the group. It also set up his desire to find another human to show to the world. Dan would later prank Merlitz with this.

Also, what is with the idea that the old stuff isn't canon? So far, based on the sheer number of callbacks to the "old stuff", there is no reason to declare it Discontinuity.

Bjalf

Quote from: Scow2 on February 25, 2010, 12:54:49 PM
Considering that those strips set up a significant part of Merlitz' backstory, I see no reason they aren't canon, and more evidence supports that they are. It's about Merlitz' first encounter with a human, which gave his former party the excuse to kick him out of the group. It also set up his desire to find another human to show to the world. Dan would later prank Merlitz with this.

Also, what is with the idea that the old stuff isn't canon? So far, based on the sheer number of callbacks to the "old stuff", there is no reason to declare it Discontinuity.
Just beacuse the part about Merlitz is canon, doesn't mean that every other little detail in the same strips are. I can't imagine that the pokemon stuff is canon.

The first strips were literally just a joke, it was never intended to have intricate stories or go on for years and years.

I can't find it now, but I seem to recall Amber saying something about the old stuff being canon only until it's contradicted by later strips.

Scow2

Quote from: Bjalf on February 25, 2010, 01:32:56 PM
I can't find it now, but I seem to recall Amber saying something about the old stuff being canon only until it's contradicted by later strips.
That's exactly what I'm saying... Of course, I'm still hoping for at least a throwaway conversation about Dan's transformation into a pokemon... apparently, Merlitz and Jyrras had to save Furrae from people being turned into ridiculously cute critters at some point. Of course, I do believe that storyline is now non-canon also, simply because it treads on the Pokemon copyrights and trademarks, not the actual content...

Naldru

The reason that the Pokemon segment will not become canon is that Amber has stated that she wants to avoid problems with trademarks and copyrighted material.  I can't remember exactly I saw Amber mentioning this.

Found one reference
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Drayco84

Quote from: Scow2 on February 25, 2010, 06:40:04 PM
Quote from: Bjalf on February 25, 2010, 01:32:56 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying... Of course, I'm still hoping for at least a throwaway conversation about Dan's transformation into a pokemon... apparently, Merlitz and Jyrras had to save Furrae from people being turned into ridiculously cute critters at some point. Of course, I do believe that storyline is now non-canon also, simply because it treads on the Pokemon copyrights and trademarks, not the actual content...

(o_O) When the futch was this?

Arcblade

Drayco84

I just reviewed those comics in the archive... (Man! Amber's art has come a long way!) And the only one that got turned into a pokemon was Dan. Jyrras had made a drink that changed the pokemon into furries, but since Dan drank all of it...

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Drayco84 on February 24, 2010, 12:06:06 PM
Quote from: rakyth on February 24, 2010, 02:38:53 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 24, 2010, 02:32:38 AM
Quote from: Drayco84 on February 23, 2010, 11:59:53 AM
Holy crap! One of Fansworth's devices works! ROBOT HELL HAS FROZEN OVER AND WE'RE ALL DOOMED!

Who?

Correction, Farnsworth.

In the TV series Futurama, Farnsworth is Fry's great..to the nth power grandson, because Fry got stuck in a cryotube for either 1000, 2000, or 3000 years. Farnsworth is moderately old, with thick glasses[Though, technically, Fry is ancient...He hasn't aged a bit, due to cryotube.].

It's a bit of a running gag for Professor Farnsworth's inventions to be slightly or completely off.

1: Excuuuuuuuse me for a spelling error! (That was aimed at AmigaDragon, btw.)
2: NEPHEW, not grandson. (He probably can't breed due to the fact that he's his own grandfather... However, his brother Nancy was still capable of it...)

The spelling made no difference to me. I never saw the show (didn't have access to that channel), so even the correct spelling would result in the same "Who?".
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen