31/01/10 [DMFA #1084] - Asexual Abel

Started by LoneHowler, January 31, 2010, 02:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneHowler

Well we should have seen that comming, but now it looks like wildy is trying to convince Able to try things out

Edit: *sigh*. *fixes title*
 -- llearch
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Janus Whitefurr

Abel commits a good response for shutting down theorisers, which doubles as a bad response because this is going to spawn some terrible "Mary Sue gets him out of his shell" fanfiction, I can just smell it.

Shut down wherever she's going with this some more, spots! I approve of your deadpan reply and not of Wildy continuing to push the topic.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Shirou14

And once again, Amber proves her ability to give us an answer, without giving us an answer. let me explain why i think this. It means he doesn't know, because he hasn't tried, because he doesn't want to try, because he has deeper internal issues he needs to figuer out. so basically, he's an anti cubi X3 So I guess we get to see lots more of Able trying to figuer himself out in the future! hoorah! and yet, so horribly disappointing an answer, you'd think after 350+ years you would have learned to love yourself and such. ahh well, back to us all believing what we want.

and I wish Amber and Husband the best of luck, it's unfortunate cut backs happen, and they happen to the best.

Baal Hadad

Why are the forums taking so long to load?  :S

Anyway, bad move there, Abel.  Do NOT say "At least I don't think I am."  That's carte blanche as far as Wildy is concerned.  (And I'm surprised he doesn't know the term "asexual"....)

Also, does ANYONE understand what he said in his last word balloon??

Kenji

"It was here on in that the fan's hopes would fall.
Dashed away, dashed away, dashed away all."

radarnocturn

Shirou14, you have it completely wrong.  Abel is asexual, he just doesn't care for sex.  He doesn't feel one way or another.  There are actually people like that that aren't wired to have any opinion or feeling for sex at all.  They can just not have a sex drive or just not be attracted to one sex or another.

Though I think part of why he acted like he did at the academy, where he even put Jouster into medical care with shock, was just to see how far he could take things.  My impression was he did it to see how far he could push the envelope and what might happen.

I would not be surprised if part of it with Abel is he's emotionally cut himself off with the world because of the crap that his father did.  That could be partially why he wants no involvement with anyone.  Another part could be he never truly had a huge attraction for either sex, or for sex.

Ry

He sounds like he isn't even interested in friendship- so I don't know if he's asexual so much as "I want to be left alone". You can be both, of course, but I miss the delightful ambiguity.   *clings to ambiguity*

Feather Dancer

Damn I know how Abel feels. I get pestered all the time about this generally like:

"Why don't you have a boyfriend?"

"... Not interested?"

"Oh you like girls then kay."

Just argh. Tho is nice even in fiction form someone knows how I feel even if I'm considered wierd for shirtless blokes doing bugger all for me or girls. Abel went up a few points for me, maybe I should use this as my response too.

Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

radarnocturn

Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 31, 2010, 03:37:25 AM

Anyway, bad move there, Abel.  Do NOT say "At least I don't think I am."  That's carte blanche as far as Wildy is concerned.  (And I'm surprised he doesn't know the term "asexual"....)

I do.  He says he doesn't even like himself to the point where he's tempted to even hit himself.  And since he doesn't like himself so much, why would he give someone else more of an opportunity than normal to not like him even more than how much he doesn't like himself.

Anri

Quote from: Shirou14 on January 31, 2010, 03:31:10 AM
it's unfortunate cut backs happen, and they happen to the best.

I feel I must however, share with our new Canadian sister the proper Canadian way of dealing with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj3JqueZZmQ :3

Baal Hadad

Quote from: radarnocturn on January 31, 2010, 05:40:48 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 31, 2010, 03:37:25 AM

I do.  He says he doesn't even like himself to the point where he's tempted to even hit himself.  And since he doesn't like himself so much, why would he give someone else more of an opportunity than normal to not like him even more than how much he doesn't like himself.

Ah, okay, it just sounded a little weird at first, almost as though English weren't his first language and he was using a different word order or something....

Bjalf

Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:34:37 AM
Just argh. Tho is nice even in fiction form someone knows how I feel even if I'm considered wierd for shirtless blokes doing bugger all for me or girls. Abel went up a few points for me, maybe I should use this as my response too.

Nooo, you just havent met the right one yet. You just wait and see, I'm going to set you up with a friend of mine ... No, no, no need to thank me ...

:B

Huh. I thought he just wanted to punch himself for giving Wildy the "so you're single, then" opening, meaning that he failed to shut her up.

Feather Dancer

Quote from: Bjalf on January 31, 2010, 05:46:41 AM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:34:37 AM

Nooo, you just havent met the right one yet. You just wait and see, I'm going to set you up with a friend of mine ... No, no, no need to thank me ...

:B

Noooo. My dad asks EVERYTIME I call him if I have a boyfriend/girlfriend which I always say no, not interested. One of these days he'll try and blind date it which scares me D: Abel is safe from that sorda thing happening though, lucky swine. Tho suppose I'm proof that it is a very believable possibility of just going "Eh" at both genders :)

MT Hazard

So Abel is a mixture of confidence and self loathing. The confidence would seem to be apathy based, in that he does whatever because he doesn't care what people think, but its a unstable kind of confidence, he's had two little breakdowns since leaving SAIA and probably worries that as soon as he starts to care about people he will feel scared, lonely and vulnerable.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Bjalf

Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:53:14 AM
My dad asks EVERYTIME I call him if I have a boyfriend/girlfriend which I always say no, not interested. One of these days he'll try and blind date it which scares me D:

Just get a dog / cat and give it a human name.

I used to have a dog named "Truls" (a male name in Scandinavia). One day I met someone in my family, and she of course told other members of my family that "she had met Bjalf and Truls going for a walk". And the reaction was, "ooh, he's got a boyfriend, then?" And of course, no amount of denial ...

My frickin' dog outed me!   :erk

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 31, 2010, 06:15:40 AM
... he's had two little breakdowns since leaving SAIA ...

Links? I don't remember any breakdowns, but he's had a ton of freakouts.

MT Hazard

For breakdowns/ freak outs there are two in the 'life is wonderful' arch

here and earlier here whatever you call them he's significantly outside his comfort zone.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Bjalf

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 31, 2010, 06:47:54 AM
For breakdowns/ freak outs there are two in the 'life is wonderful' arch

here and earlier here whatever you call them he's significantly outside his comfort zone.

Thanks, I remembered 625, but I had completely forgotten 609. Arguably (623-)625 could be a continuation of 609.

667 is definitely a freakout   :U

Edit: And just about the entire "Get me to the Church" arc.

StrawberryPistol87

heh, i really that abel was gay.
the world made a back flip.
hah. :mowdizzy
i dont know much too say about this.
urrrr.

Eon

I sort of expected this. Abel has never really struck me as the kind to be interested in romance with anyone. Maybe that'll change, but I don't think I was really expecting a straight "yes" or "no" from him. It would have been rather out of character at this point.

As for Amber's situation, I sympathise, and I am truly grateful that she's doing her best to continue the comic in spite of it. I don't think any of us would necessarily blame her if she felt the need to take some time off. That said, a personal project like a webcomic is sometimes a good way of dealing with stress... although sometimes it can also be a source of much stress.

Ry

Quote from: Bjalf on January 31, 2010, 05:46:41 AM
I do.  He says he doesn't even like himself to the point where he's tempted to even hit himself.  And since he doesn't like himself so much, why would he give someone else more of an opportunity than normal to not like him even more than how much he doesn't like himself.

Huh. I thought he just wanted to punch himself for giving Wildy the "so you're single, then" opening, meaning that he failed to shut her up.
That's what I heard as well.  I once had a similar issue- I explained I was asexual and had no interest in relationships or anything involved, and I got asked "So... friends with benefits, then?".  Serious facepalm moment.  :erk

I read it as ""I can barely resist punching myself in the fist- that question was so infuriating" "But to answer it- Do you really think I'm going to give someone else the chance moreso than normal?", two separate statements not related.  But now that I read it again- I see the point, it does seem like "I can barely resist punching myself in the fist, dating someone would only lead them to feel the same".

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on January 31, 2010, 08:29:28 AM
..Ha,........ i make many stories. and i made one guy that is asexuel but i didnt know it fif exist. i thought i was being originall.  :erk
Only 1% of the population is asexual, and they're never in stories, so it's still fairly original.   :mowwink
Quote from: Eon on January 31, 2010, 08:30:24 AM
I sort of expected this. Abel has never really struck me as the kind to be interested in romance with anyone. Maybe that'll change, but I don't think I was really expecting a straight "yes" or "no" from him. It would have been rather out of character at this point.
Same here.  I always thought Abel was asexy, but I didn't really expect him to say so.   :< I don't know how to feel about it now that he has.

Ren Gaulen

Somehow I just knew that Abel would give that answer. It fits perfectly with his character. :B

On a different note, this. :batman

Feather Dancer

Quote from: Bjalf on January 31, 2010, 06:20:38 AM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:53:14 AM
My dad asks EVERYTIME I call him if I have a boyfriend/girlfriend which I always say no, not interested. One of these days he'll try and blind date it which scares me D:

Just get a dog / cat and give it a human name.

I used to have a dog named "Truls" (a male name in Scandinavia). One day I met someone in my family, and she of course told other members of my family that "she had met Bjalf and Truls going for a walk". And the reaction was, "ooh, he's got a boyfriend, then?" And of course, no amount of denial ...

My frickin' dog outed me!   :erk

Already got the cats though I think Fluffy is a give away though lol :)

Ren, one Internet for using Yugioh Abridged.

And for those of us who are Asexual, just feel free to stare from afar and hey, won't go out with anyone but I'd be happy for a drink! Sides can talk without the awkwardness getting involved and suppose it can make you a bit more approachable, something I gather from Abel as well despite his stand offish tendency.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 09:01:49 AM
And for those of us who are Asexual, just feel free to stare from afar and hey, won't go out with anyone but I'd be happy for a drink! Sides can talk without the awkwardness getting involved and suppose it can make you a bit more approachable, something I gather from Abel as well despite his stand offish tendency.

For some reason, this brings to mind something that caused what could only be called an epiphany in one of my second-year english courses at uni. While trying to describe character relationships in a novel, the phrase came up that "You can Love your friends without being In Love with them"

And I've already waffled my little rant about the comic abovethread, so I got nothing else here.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Ry

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on January 31, 2010, 09:11:12 AM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 09:01:49 AM

For some reason, this brings to mind something that caused what could only be called an epiphany in one of my second-year english courses at uni. While trying to describe character relationships in a novel, the phrase came up that "You can Love your friends without being In Love with them"
Very true words.  
I really don't like the idea that you can't be close friends with someone without there being something more.  It used to be "you can't be close friends with the opposite sex", but now that LGB acceptance is more widespread, it happens with everyone.  Having everyone assume that whenever characters are good friends they must be totally in love gets annoying.  :/

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Ry on January 31, 2010, 09:34:43 AM
I really don't like the idea that you can't be close friends with someone without there being something more.  It used to be "you can't be close friends with the opposite sex", but now that LGB acceptance is more widespread, it happens with everyone.  Having everyone assume that whenever characters are good friends they must be totally in love gets annoying.  :/
People also tend to forget that love can be platonic. :B

Bjalf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on January 31, 2010, 09:47:01 AM
People also tend to forget that love can be platonic. :B

Well, Plato's been dead for a very long time.

Netrogo

Gah I can't think of anything to  write that doesn't offend someone in someway so I'll just say this.

My agnostic ass is delighted with Abel's current sexual stance. It gives me one more fence, between two groups, that I can sit upon and mock both sides freely.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Jakon

I think I hear wailing and gnashing teeth. Must be the yaoi fangirls.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Bjalf