31/01/10 [DMFA #1084] - Asexual Abel

Started by LoneHowler, January 31, 2010, 02:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inuhanyo

Quote from: Bjalf on January 31, 2010, 06:56:43 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 31, 2010, 06:47:54 AM
For breakdowns/ freak outs there are two in the 'life is wonderful' arch

here and earlier here whatever you call them he's significantly outside his comfort zone.

Thanks, I remembered 625, but I had completely forgotten 609. Arguably (623-)625 could be a continuation of 609.

667 is definitely a freakout   :U

Edit: And just about the entire "Get me to the Church" arc.
Eh, 625 is "I get nauseous at the sight of anything that looks like blood"
667 is "this is a really creepy situation"
Now, 609 is on the edge of a breakdown.

Jasonrevall

Fantastic answer in my opinion. Fits his character very well. I also don't think he's really asexual just so caught up with other things in his life to the point where he can't even tell who he's attracted to at the moment.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Bjalf

Quote from: inuhanyo on January 31, 2010, 11:21:33 AM
Eh, 625 is "I get nauseous at the sight of anything that looks like blood"

Actually, only "in times of confusion and stress", otherwise it'd have to be genuine blood to trigger a reaction.

Of course, being chucked out of SAIA and having to live with all Dan, Alexsi and all the other weirdos definitely counts as "confusion and stress".

Edit: And on that note, why did Abel leave SAIA? What was Fa'Lina's "trick" to make him leave? I can't find anything on the forums here.

RandomMetaphysics

I was expecting a witty retort... ah well, at least he gave Wildy (and us) an answer. I guess the best thing to do here is wait and see how the situation plays out.

...On another note, before I post my whacky theory, didn't Abel tell Jyrras that a mind-shield could be dispelled, and or magic can go on the fritz?

Ry

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on January 31, 2010, 09:47:01 AM
Quote from: Ry on January 31, 2010, 09:34:43 AM
I really don't like the idea that you can't be close friends with someone without there being something more.  It used to be "you can't be close friends with the opposite sex", but now that LGB acceptance is more widespread, it happens with everyone.  Having everyone assume that whenever characters are good friends they must be totally in love gets annoying.  :/
People also tend to forget that love can be platonic. :B
In love typically refers to romantic/sexual love.  So while "I love you" can be platonic, "I'm in love with you" rarely is.  So while I'd agree
two characters who are extremely close do love each other, but I don't think they're in love with each other.

Quote from: Bjalf on January 31, 2010, 06:56:43 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 31, 2010, 06:47:54 AM
For breakdowns/ freak outs there are two in the 'life is wonderful' arch

here and earlier here whatever you call them he's significantly outside his comfort zone.

Thanks, I remembered 625, but I had completely forgotten 609. Arguably (623-)625 could be a continuation of 609.

667 is definitely a freakout   :U

Edit: And just about the entire "Get me to the Church" arc.

I think 623 is more comic relief (kinda like 675) but the rest give reason to think indeed. Also, honestly, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are really asexual and deserve to be treated a such. But if you're really asexual you don't exactly dress backless and smell of cinnamon. I would guess there are still some interesting events at the academy that are yet to be revealed that shed light on this. In any case, without saying anything about the real life Asexuals, you don't get born in the state Abel is in.

Also, what Eon said is right of course. It's really nice to still continue the comic, even though everyone would most likely understand a break. So in any case, many thanks to Amber and let's hope they'll be able to solve the situation quickly.

Kesh

Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:53:14 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on January 31, 2010, 05:46:41 AM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:34:37 AM
Just argh. Tho is nice even in fiction form someone knows how I feel even if I'm considered wierd for shirtless blokes doing bugger all for me or girls. Abel went up a few points for me, maybe I should use this as my response too.

Nooo, you just havent met the right one yet. You just wait and see, I'm going to set you up with a friend of mine ... No, no, no need to thank me ...

:B

Noooo. My dad asks EVERYTIME I call him if I have a boyfriend/girlfriend which I always say no, not interested. One of these days he'll try and blind date it which scares me D: Abel is safe from that sorda thing happening though, lucky swine. Tho suppose I'm proof that it is a very believable possibility of just going "Eh" at both genders :)

That's parent-speak for "I want a grandchild." Next time he asks, tell him to adopt.   >:3
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
And the Science gets done.
And you make a neat gun.
For the people who are still alive.

Howl

Wildy obviously asked for Jy's sake, so no doubt she asked if Abel's single for Jy's sake, too. Just goes to show that Wildy does care about Jy... or she thinks she still owes him for Janus Bond.

Dagardo

:tmyk Can't say I'm surprised, Abel spends nearly 400 years pushing people away, you can't really expect much else.

Joe3210

Unless the title is a pun, Abel is spelled Abel.

I expected as much from Abel.
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

joshofspam

Well Abel didn't seem to have any relation ship other than friend when he lived with his mom and dad in the creature city. So it would make sense that he wouldn't have made many relation ships on a personal level with anyone.

Keeping to himself at the academy would have kept him from developing any personal attachments, which in it self is probably another reason for Fa'lina to "get Abel out of the house so to speak".

But what Willy asks Abel in the last panel makes me wonder if she like Abel enough maybe not as a boyfriend but as a casual fling or more horribly she likes setting up blind dates to watch the fireworks fly.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Chakat Blackspots

Abel is more or less undecided on his orientation as of yet.

LoneHowler

Although Abel is asexual, it may have been brought on by the thought that anyone ge was close to died

(as for the title it's a typo, I'll try to fix it)
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Ry

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on January 31, 2010, 08:16:51 PM
Abel is more or less undecided on his orientation as of yet.
He seemed pretty insistent that he's not interested.  Now I admit that I'm all for maintaining ambiguity and it's entirely possible he's not asexual, he's uninterested for [list of reasons]- but I don't see any indecision here.  He's very decided that he has no interest in any of it.[/list]

Anker Steadfast

I know I have had periods in my life, where I simply had no interest in relationships at all.
It wasn't even a question of orientation or anything, just no interest.

Heck, I've had periods too, where I was sexually interested, but avoided it simply to avoid the regular relationship drama.
Basically, the opposite of platonic relationships. At that time a "robot" would have been perfect.

So that's a possibility too.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Arapaima

Asexuality isn't the same as undecided. Much in the way one discovers that you're attracted to one team or the other, the asexual realizes that they'd rather watch from the bleachers. It's actually fairly common among folk in the outside world (about 1% or so) and can be found in persons from any background. He's likely had several hundred years to figure out all of the details of this for himself.

Someone will remember you, sometime.
Just try and sleep with the music on, all the time.
Well I'm sorry kid, tonight you sleep outside.

Sprinkles

I'm even more intrigued now by the fact that he claims to be what we would label "asexual", but he doesn't completely rule out the possibility of ever being interested in another person. I'm interested to see how Wildy will respond, and if maybe Abel will ask why she seems to care so much.

Attic Rat

It sounds like he's talking about the "force" of his orientation, rather than its "direction".

The force could be so weak that the direction is unimportant.
For the present, and foreseeable future, nothing sexual is going on anywhere in his life.

That sounds reasonable to me.

Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Chaos

In response to the concern for Mason's employment, I will second the fact that things will be fine, at least for the next while. The Canadian Government has seen fit to make certain we are taken care of in situations like this.

RobbieThe1st

For some reason, I think his experiances at SAIA had something to do with this decision - for example, 537. I can see that sort of thing either being a total turn off or... not. But in Abel's case, judging by the "Holy mother of H...", he knows exactly what is happening(it probably happened more than once), and doesn't like it.
Plus with the probable amount of "experimentation" at SAIA, I can easily see someone like Abel getting completely turned off to anything of the sort.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Chaos on January 31, 2010, 11:26:33 PM
In response to the concern for Mason's employment, I will second the fact that things will be fine, at least for the next while. The Canadian Government has seen fit to make certain we are taken care of in situations like this.

Good to hear.  I hope things work out for them soon.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Feather Dancer

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on January 31, 2010, 06:37:30 PM

I think 623 is more comic relief (kinda like 675) but the rest give reason to think indeed. Also, honestly, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are really asexual and deserve to be treated a such. But if you're really asexual you don't exactly dress backless and smell of cinnamon. I would guess there are still some interesting events at the academy that are yet to be revealed that shed light on this. In any case, without saying anything about the real life Asexuals, you don't get born in the state Abel is in.

I suspect backless is more for the wing thing for convience when he shifts them back in while wearing a shirt. Least I gather, he did wear them for wing sake when younger too.

Quote from: Kesh on January 31, 2010, 06:56:58 PM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:53:14 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on January 31, 2010, 05:46:41 AM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on January 31, 2010, 05:34:37 AM
Just argh. Tho is nice even in fiction form someone knows how I feel even if I'm considered wierd for shirtless blokes doing bugger all for me or girls. Abel went up a few points for me, maybe I should use this as my response too.

Nooo, you just havent met the right one yet. You just wait and see, I'm going to set you up with a friend of mine ... No, no, no need to thank me ...

:B

Noooo. My dad asks EVERYTIME I call him if I have a boyfriend/girlfriend which I always say no, not interested. One of these days he'll try and blind date it which scares me D: Abel is safe from that sorda thing happening though, lucky swine. Tho suppose I'm proof that it is a very believable possibility of just going "Eh" at both genders :)

That's parent-speak for "I want a grandchild." Next time he asks, tell him to adopt.   >:3

Well hell he knows I hate kids D: But lol maybe should try that once just to freak him out. Seems convinced one of my friends in the states is my boyfriend for some reason despite the constant correcting. Ah the life of being wierd :)
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

LionHeart

Quote from: Jakon on January 31, 2010, 10:24:38 AM
I think I hear wailing and gnashing teeth. Must be the yaoi fangirls.
As I understand it, yaoi fangirls never let little things like the characters' orientations get in the way of their ships.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Alondro

*Charline chuckles*  This isn't surprising, really.  Just think about the relationships we've seen in his life.  Every last one has been an unmitigated disaster, both male, female, and everything else under the sun.

He suffered immense emotional trauma for decades as a youth, and has had his trust betrayed frequently enough to render him incapable of trusting anyone enough to become even remotely attracted to them.

Essentially, he'd make a great commando for the Cubi army to defeat the dragons! 

*Charlinenow hates dragons because a dragon real-estate agent tricked her into getting a subprime mortage loan*  That bastard and all his scaly kind WILL PAY!!   >:O
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on February 01, 2010, 12:23:39 PM
He suffered immense emotional trauma for decades as a youth, and has had his trust betrayed frequently enough to render him incapable of trusting anyone enough to become even remotely attracted to them.

Essentially, he'd make a great commando for the Cubi army to defeat the dragons!  

Because believing that his troops are going to sell him out to the Dragons or stab him in the back as soon as he looks the other way is the trait of a great leader  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shachza

Quote from: Tikki on January 31, 2010, 05:41:57 AM
Quote from: Shirou14 on January 31, 2010, 03:31:10 AM
it's unfortunate cut backs happen, and they happen to the best.

I feel I must however, share with our new Canadian sister the proper Canadian way of dealing with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj3JqueZZmQ :3

:boogie :boogie :nod :boogie :boogie

Quote from: LoneHowler on January 31, 2010, 08:53:01 PM
Although Abel is asexual, it may have been brought on by the thought that anyone ge was close to died

(as for the title it's a typo, I'll try to fix it)

He'll be safe hooking up with Wildy then.   ;)  The only people to die will be everyone but Abel and her.
            <-- #1 that is!

Keleth

Best response to it ever.

Still won't change the fact people will randomly theorize about how it's a ploy and he's still gay so they want him to be gay to fufill their fantasies.
Help! I'm gay!

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 01, 2010, 12:30:58 PM

Because believing that his troops are going to sell him out to the Dragons or stab him in the back as soon as he looks the other way is the trait of a great leader  >:3
If you had an army of Demons, then yes, that would be a great quality in a leader.  :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 01, 2010, 12:30:58 PM

It worked for Stalin...

And Mao...

Not for Julius Caesar.  He trusted Brutus!  And look what happened! 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

TheDXM

Abel's fear of showing genuine feelings towards people, and his general annoyance in social situations makes this response pretty unsurprising.

However, he still hasn't said anything about whether or not he even cares about gender, and I wouldn't be surprised if Abel is more sexually frustrated than he lets on. Asexuality doesn't really disqualify one from having urges or emotions about people, it just means that you DEFINITELY don't act on them out of choice. And over time, Abel has proven to be one of the more conflicted individuals in the cast, despite his outer cool demeanor.