01/12/10 [AS2#86] - If Fa'Lina is a Bad Cubi then what's a good one?

Started by Lego3400, January 12, 2010, 02:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lego3400

Honestly... I'm not quite sure what just happened...

Edit: Fixed your title. And the typo. Sheesh. Can't you spell? It's not like her name isn't prominently displayed, what with it being in the damn strip and all...
  -- llearch

Bjalf

Ooh, lovely!

First Fa'Lina insults Kria by saying that she has nothing of value, and then Kria insults Fa'Lina by saying that she'd make a better demon than cubi.

The first insult is deliberate, but the second one was probably meant as praise.

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

SpottedKitty

I don't think it was any less deliberate, though. Kria's been choosing her words very carefully, sharpening each one to a point before she says it. Just like Fa'lina's been doing. Round one to the 'Cubi, I think.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Turnsky

Quote from: SpottedKitty on January 12, 2010, 02:51:32 AM
I don't think it was any less deliberate, though. Kria's been choosing her words very carefully, sharpening each one to a point before she says it. Just like Fa'lina's been doing. Round one to the 'Cubi, I think.

i believe they are fighting on a level that many of us can't honestly fathom, they're using words as their weapons of choice, if anything to maintain civility of the hospital, to avoid political ramifications, and so forth...

this is warfare on its most complex level.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

The_one_who_is_odd

Round one to the 'Cubi, I think.

I would say round one goes to the demon because it wasn't even meant to be an insult but it still was...

But is it just me or does it seem that there is a backstory on how these two know each other?

Janus Whitefurr

The level of deadpan snark in this comic is over nine thousand.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: The_one_who_is_odd on January 12, 2010, 03:14:40 AM
I would say round one goes to the demon because it wasn't even meant to be an insult but it still was...
I dunno, that comes off as grudging respect from Kria, there.

QuoteBut is it just me or does it seem that there is a backstory on how these two know each other?
Difficult to say.  Fa'Lina is one of the more famous 'Cubi.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

If Fa'Lina is a Bad Cubi then what's a good one?

I'd say Destania, she is (or at least was) a 'good' example of what many would see as the averagel cubi, an evil seductress, with few, if any morals. According to Abel anyway.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

iceick

Quote from: Turnsky on January 12, 2010, 03:00:26 AM

i believe they are fighting on a level that many of us can't honestly fathom, they're using words as their weapons of choice, if anything to maintain civility of the hospital, to avoid political ramifications, and so forth...

this is warfare on its most complex level.

Not to mention that Kria's only 19 years older than Abel, and Fa'lina is over 9000 years old, I'd say that no matter how Kria picked her battle she'd lose.

A. Lurker

I think the closest thing to an 'average' cubi, if there is such a thing, that we've actually seen may just be Aaryanna. (Case in point, her attempts to 'help' Dan adjust, such as here.)

MT Hazard

Oh yeah, forgot about Aaryanna,  but she is still a Destania (past version) lite, she probably isn't going to try and get infants to torture for educational reasons.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Bjalf

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 12, 2010, 08:11:20 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about Aaryanna,  but she is still a Destania (past version) lite, she probably isn't going to try and get infants to torture for educational reasons.

Kittens and puppies?

bradypodidae

Diplomacy. I still believe they were sparring looking for an advantage, or at least trying to get the other to show a sign of weakness. At the best, I would say this was closer to a draw than one out-dueling the other. IIRC Demons respect power, most likely in all it's incarnations manifestations, and Fa'Lina is experienced and knowledgeable enough to deal with the Demon's world view.

For Kria, this was probably typical, and expected, tea conversation. The last panel leads me to believe that Kria and Fa'Lina have as close to a friendship that their stations allow. At least mutual respect, perhaps?
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

celelorien

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on January 12, 2010, 09:01:13 AM
For Kria, this was probably typical, and expected, tea conversation. The last panel leads me to believe that Kria and Fa'Lina have as close to a friendship that their stations allow. At least mutual respect, perhaps?

I doubt that - judging by BOTH of their facial expressions in the past few strips, it's much more likely that they had a preconceived hatred of the other, but as they have had their pseudo-civil conversation, they've realized that the other isn't a total bag of suck.  Thus, I'd think it's more that this marks the beginning of a true civility / potential friendship, though it probably wouldn't ever go past professional courtesy.

Arcblade

Quote from: celelorien on January 12, 2010, 10:05:10 AM
Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on January 12, 2010, 09:01:13 AM

I doubt that - judging by BOTH of their facial expressions in the past few strips, it's much more likely that they had a preconceived hatred of the other, but as they have had their pseudo-civil conversation, they've realized that the other isn't a total bag of suck.  Thus, I'd think it's more that this marks the beginning of a true civility / potential friendship, though it probably wouldn't ever go past professional courtesy.

That was my take on the situation as well.  As least on Kria's end.  I think Fa'Lina probably realizes Kria's just worried for Abel, though, so it could go both ways.  Which would be nice since they're both worried about Abel. ...and I like characters getting along. 

Jasonrevall

Aww i wanted to see burning furniture and explosions. Oh well this is good too. You know the demons kindof remind me of Mandalorians if they were magic using beast people, except for the manipulation stuff.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Twist

Quote from: Bjalf on January 12, 2010, 02:33:19 AM
Ooh, lovely!

First Fa'Lina insults Kria by saying that she has nothing of value, and then Kria insults Fa'Lina by saying that she'd make a better demon than cubi.

The first insult is deliberate, but the second one was probably meant as praise.

I read the first part as sarcasm, not an insult, and Kria's reply as high praise.

Since Kria just mentioned something Fa'Lina  wants in the previous strip, I figured she WAS blackmailing and she seemed to be angling for the children's hospital.

Eon

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on January 12, 2010, 04:10:53 AM
The level of deadpan snark in this comic is over nine thousand.

WHAT?! NINE THOUSAND?!

Seriously though, Abel's Story just keeps getting more and more interesting. o.o

Alondro

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 12, 2010, 06:43:35 AM
If Fa'Lina is a Bad Cubi then what's a good one?

I'd say Destania, she is (or at least was) a 'good' example of what many would see as the averagel cubi, an evil seductress, with few, if any morals. According to Abel anyway.

*Charline enters, chewing on a soul*  I'm a good Cubi!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ooklah

Quote from: Alondro on January 14, 2010, 01:19:41 PM

no you're not! it even says you're not right there! *points* :U *flee*
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jasonrevall on January 12, 2010, 12:47:06 PM
You know the demons kindof remind me of Mandalorians if they were magic using beast people, except for the manipulation stuff.

Mandolins?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Shachza

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 16, 2010, 12:10:02 AM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on January 12, 2010, 12:47:06 PM
You know the demons kindof remind me of Mandalorians if they were magic using beast people, except for the manipulation stuff.

Mandolins?

Mandolin: A small acoustic musical instrument.
Mandalorian:  A group of mercenaries from Star Wars that play their targets like musical instruments.

It's an easy mistake to make.
            <-- #1 that is!

Starcat5

Quote from: ooklah on January 14, 2010, 09:01:43 PM
Quote from: Alondro on January 14, 2010, 01:19:41 PM

no you're not! it even says you're not right there! *points* :U *flee*

*Looks at the neon "Ebil" sign Ooklah was pointing at* Well, what do you know. *Runs away screeming*
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Castle Pokemetroid

It would probably take but only a small spark to start a flame in a battle like that. I wonder of how much the wording would matter. One wrong slip up and you might end up dead.