gay marriage in maine

Started by thegayhare, October 09, 2009, 02:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 10, 2009, 01:45:19 AM
It is my belief that the public displays by gay people - whether it can be considered right or wrong is pretty subjective - is basically to get it out of the proverbial closet. And while it's considered inappropriate, I have certainly seen PDAs by straight couples before (PDAs in general offend me, that's a whole other argument). What I'm trying to get at, in a roundabout and poorly phrased fashion, is that by 'being gay', it stops people from pretending it doesn't existence and isn't 'a problem' so to speak. "I don't see anyone being gay so clearly the gays do not exist" sort of thinking. Stops the haters from pushing it under the rug, so to speak.

:giggle

I think you've uncovered the deep mystery there.  That's got to be it--that's the only reason something like that could bother people it doesn't affect....

ooklah

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 10, 2009, 01:42:23 AM
When was the last time you, personally, actually saw any couple, gay or straight,

end of august. but not with major gusto as I described.

I also only have lived in an area now where it is openly on the streets for less then a year, so I'm still adjusting (from areas that don't, growing up).

The two cross-dressers, three transvestites, two hookers, and probably two dozen bums (I've seen in the last week) and ass-less chaps (and o_O the corseting) still cause me Alarms.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Baal Hadad

Quote from: ooklah on October 10, 2009, 02:05:55 AM
The two cross-dressers, three transvestites, two hookers, and probably two dozen bums (I've seen in the last week) and ass-less chaps (and o_O the corseting) still cause me Alarms.

I'm confused.  What exactly is the difference between a cross-dresser and a transvestite, because I was under the impression they were the same thing.

(Also, what does that have to do with same-sex marriage?)

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Baal Hadad on October 10, 2009, 02:03:45 AM

I think you've uncovered the deep mystery there.  That's got to be it--that's the only reason something like that could bother people it doesn't affect....

The giggle makes me feel like I've phrased something really... really badly. Have I? D:
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

ooklah

Quote from: Baal Hadad on October 10, 2009, 02:09:29 AM

I'm confused.  What exactly is the difference between a cross-dresser and a transvestite, because I was under the impression they were the same thing.

I thought one just wore the clothes, the other had the boob-job as well ?
Sorry I got off topic.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Kenji

cross-dress
  /ˈkrɔsˈdrɛs, ˈkrɒs-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kraws-dres, kros-] Show IPA
Use crossdresser in a Sentence
See web results for crossdresser
See images of crossdresser
–verb (used without object)
to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

trans·ves·tite    (trāns-věs'tīt', trānz-)   
n.  A person who dresses and acts in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex.

I think "Transvestite" is supposed to also have that they get sexual stimulation from the experience. At least, if I recall the summary right... I believe it was back on the original Psycho.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on October 10, 2009, 02:10:27 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on October 10, 2009, 02:03:45 AM

I think you've uncovered the deep mystery there.  That's got to be it--that's the only reason something like that could bother people it doesn't affect....

The giggle makes me feel like I've phrased something really... really badly. Have I? D:

Um, no....   :erk  The giggle was at myself, for never before realizing the truth in what you said....

Quote from: ooklah on October 10, 2009, 02:12:04 AM

I thought one just wore the clothes, the other had the boob-job as well ?
Sorry I got off topic.

I think you're thinking of transsexuals there--those are different.

Quote from: Kenji on October 10, 2009, 03:05:32 AM

cross-dress
  /ˈkrɔsˈdrɛs, ˈkrɒs-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kraws-dres, kros-] Show IPA
Use crossdresser in a Sentence
See web results for crossdresser
See images of crossdresser
–verb (used without object)
to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

trans·ves·tite    (trāns-věs'tīt', trānz-)   
n.  A person who dresses and acts in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex.

I think "Transvestite" is supposed to also have that they get sexual stimulation from the experience. At least, if I recall the summary right... I believe it was back on the original Psycho.

I'd say that's as good a distinction as any.

Again, though, sorry to go off-topic.

superluser

Quote from: ooklah on October 10, 2009, 01:32:21 AMSoddam and Gomorrah where both vaporized for that and a few other things. That reads pretty clearly for me.  :B

Sodom and Gomorrah (note the spelling) were destroyed because they refused to offer hospitality to visitors, instead trying to gang gay rape them.

So let this be a lesson to everyone who is gay: don't...uh... gang gay rape people, even if you really, really want to.

It's pretty clear that Sodom and Gomorrah would have been destroyed if they had done other things that were inhospitable, as well.  It's also clear from other parts of the Bible that sex outside of marriage is forbidden and that same sex religious marriages aren't valid.

Furthermore, it's clearly established that since homosexual sex was practiced by the pre-Israelite inhabitants of Eretz Israel, it is forbidden, and considered every bit as evil as eating non-kosher food.

There are no explicit condemnations of homosexual sex qua homosexual sex in the Bible, though it's clear that no circumstance can exist where it can ever be licit.

Quote from: ooklah on October 10, 2009, 01:32:21 AMAs for marriage, I think it may have some part to do with the word marriage itself. For the last 4,000 to 6 billion years (depending who you ask)

I'll go with about 200,000 years, since that's probably when H. sapiens came around.

Quote from: ooklah on October 10, 2009, 01:32:21 AMwhichever word meant marriage, pretty much meant male and female.

Marriage has meant different things to different societies and religions, but there have been numerous examples of same-sex marriage in particular cultures throughout history.

Quote from: ooklah on October 10, 2009, 01:32:21 AMAnd why do gays feel it's ok to wear their sexuality on their sleeves?

Honestly, no offense intended, but that sounds like classic Onion.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Baal Hadad

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on October 10, 2009, 04:18:53 AM
There are no explicit condemnations of homosexual sex qua homosexual sex in the Bible, though it's clear that no circumstance can exist where it can ever be licit.

Excuse me?
http://www.badlydrawnkitties.com/new/105.html and http://www.badlydrawnkitties.com/new/106.html ?

As fro cross-dresser and transvestites and transsexuals, I would put them in the follow categories:
cross-dresser: someone who wears clothing of the opposing gender, because he or she happens to enjoy that.
transvestite: someone who wears clothing and acts like the opposing gender, because he or she happens to think they probably should have been that in the first place.
transsexual: someone who thinks they're the wrong gender, and is working on getting that fixed.

It's a sliding scale, and precisely where people are on it is a bit vague. But that's my description.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 10, 2009, 08:24:33 AM
Excuse me?
http://www.badlydrawnkitties.com/new/105.html and http://www.badlydrawnkitties.com/new/106.html ?

As fro cross-dresser and transvestites and transsexuals, I would put them in the follow categories:
cross-dresser: someone who wears clothing of the opposing gender, because he or she happens to enjoy that.
transvestite: someone who wears clothing and acts like the opposing gender, because he or she happens to think they probably should have been that in the first place.
transsexual: someone who thinks they're the wrong gender, and is working on getting that fixed.

It's a sliding scale, and precisely where people are on it is a bit vague. But that's my description.

I agree with that assessment except for transvestite, because that sounds more like a transsexual than a transvestite to me--I think the sexual stimulation from cross-dressing is what defines a transvestite.

thegayhare

One of the things that gets me when you talk about Gay people flaunting there sexualiy is that it means so many differnt things to differnt people

to some it's over the top if some one even admits there gay in public. I mean just recently there were 2 girls voted cutestest couple in there year book some people bitched and moaned that we don't need to know the details of there sex life.

I mean that was considered tmi they were acknolaging they were dating and some folks reacted like they were handing out play by play discreptions of there nightly going on.

I think if it's okay for a straight couple it's fine for a gay one
so that means holding hands, hugging and kissing... and I do realise that there is some kissing better suited for private then public but that goes for both sides

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 10, 2009, 08:24:33 AMExcuse me?

The verse is Leviticus 20:13, which appears between verses 2-5 (dealing with Molech worship) and 22-24:

QuoteYou shall keep all my statutes and all my ordinances, and observe them, so that the land to which I bring you to settle in may not vomit you out. You shall not follow the practices of the nation that I am driving out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them. But I have said to you: You shall inherit their land, and I will give it to you to possess, a land flowing with milk and honey. I am the Lord your God; I have separated you from the peoples.

Further, the condemnation here is on the same level as the condemnation of eating certain foods.

(I hadn't planned to so Hebrew studies today, but for those curious, the same level of reprobation is used in Deuteronomy 14:3, apparently applying to all non-kosher food)

This is a strong indication that homosexual sex is being condemned because it's what the people in the land did before the Israelites took over and not necessarily because it's intrinsically bad.  As I said, however, there is no circumstance where homosexual sex could ever be licit.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Not that I wish to run this into the ground, superluser, but you said:
There are no explicit condemnations of homosexual sex qua homosexual sex in the Bible

"Strong indications" or not, "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." sounds pretty explicit to me.

Did I miss something?

Note that I am not condoning this particular item; anyone who wishes to use this should first tell me how many tassels they have on their clothing, as also specified in Leviticus; and that they haven't ever eaten shellfish. Or pork. Or... heck, there's just about anything in Leviticus you care to look for. And the New Testament, for all it's flaws, pointed out that "love one another" was about all you needed to do; attempting to override that with the older version is just plain stupid. But I digress...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 10, 2009, 07:33:00 PMNot that I wish to run this into the ground, superluser, but you said:
QuoteThere are no explicit condemnations of homosexual sex qua homosexual sex in the Bible
"Strong indications" or not, "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." sounds pretty explicit to me.

That's an explicit condemnation of homosexual sex in a litany of condemnations of things condemned because God doesn't want the Israelites to fall into their ways and abandon Him.  It's being condemned because ``You shall not follow the practices of the nation that I am driving out before you.''