08/29/09 [DMFA #1037] - Qualification

Started by Raiettei, August 29, 2009, 04:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiettei

I did this topic thing twice in a row now. This experience teaches me one thing: I need to get to sleep earlier.

So he's no bodyguard.
I like how Dan's immediately offensive against Abel's abilities in innkeeping.

Janus Whitefurr

Proof that an education is NOT a bad thing!

Or something.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Darkdragon

Judging by Alexi's remark, the inn doesn't seem to gather many customers during the night run.

Tapewolf

I'd be a little suspect of Abel's qualifications myself.  Sweeping floors is one thing, but does he know how to operate the till?  What a debit card is?  How to operate the card-reader?  What the liquor licensing laws are in this territory/century?

Are they still using the same currency as 400 years ago?  Are they even using the same number base (*)? Until about 1969 the UK used a bizarre currency that was non-metric and wholly illogical (people who have played Simon the Sorcerer 2 will get the idea).   The Euro was introduced under a decade ago so this kind of change is liable to happen several times in his lifespan.  Would he be able to spot a counterfeit coin or note?

Assuming the answer to all the above is 'yes', or that he has Dan hidden behind the bar to verify all the money for him, it would be kind of cool - he can probably tell if someone is underage without even looking at them.

(*)Do the inhabitants of Furrae count in Octal, having only 8 digits?

Quote from: Darkdragon on August 29, 2009, 04:56:46 AM
Judging by Alexi's remark, the inn doesn't seem to gather many customers during the night run.
That's because they currently close at night.  Alexsi has to sleep, so did Merlitz (since he was the bouncer during the day) and whatever other arrangement they used to have for doing it (Destania?) is no longer present.  It's only now they have Abel that it's become feasible.
That and Abel may have suggested it himself to give him something to do (and as insurance against Alexsi turning on him).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Chaos

The questions stated above are stupid, brilliant and distilled GEEK! If you experience any side effects from contact to GEEK, please consult your local doctor.

MT Hazard

"Relevant experience" oh how I loath to see that on a job advert. No, I haven't got relevant experience because everybody asks for it yet no one will provide it!

edit: Also ever think that Lex has just tricked Dan into working the night shift as well, if only to keep an eye on Abel?

edit edit: Spelling and Grammar hate me!
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on August 29, 2009, 06:04:15 AM
edit: Also ever think that Lex has just tricked Dan into working the night shift as well, if only to keep an eye on Abel?

I don't think Dan is anything like as distrustful of Abel as he was at first.  They may not exactly get along, but I don't see Dan worrying about Abel going on a bender.

Anri

*ahem* In regards to the rant, Anri disavows any and all knowledge of any thunderstorm activity occurring within the southern Ontario region at any point during this supposed summer. This is not the thunder kitsune you are looking for!

:shifty

Wanderer

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2009, 07:21:54 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on August 29, 2009, 06:04:15 AM

I don't think Dan is anything like as distrustful of Abel as he was at first.  They may not exactly get along, but I don't see Dan worrying about Abel going on a bender.

A person he doesn't get along with is going to be in charge of letting people into his home at night. I would find that moderately unsettling myself.

Ghostwish

Don't worry Amber, you're not alone on the Final Destination opinion. I watched the first one and wondered how in the hells it managed to spawn a sequel. XD

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wanderer on August 29, 2009, 09:53:01 AM
A person he doesn't get along with is going to be in charge of letting people into his home at night. I would find that moderately unsettling myself.

That's true, though to be fair, Fa'Lina has demonstrated that going through the front door is somewhat optional, so if one of Abel's hypothetical evil allies wants to get into Lost Lake, it wouldn't make much difference who was guarding the door.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2009, 05:13:02 AM
I'd be a little suspect of Abel's qualifications myself.  Sweeping floors is one thing, but does he know how to operate the till?  What a debit card is?  How to operate the card-reader?  What the liquor licensing laws are in this territory/century?

Are they still using the same currency as 400 years ago?  Are they even using the same number base (*)? Until about 1969 the UK used a bizarre currency that was non-metric and wholly illogical (people who have played Simon the Sorcerer 2 will get the idea).   The Euro was introduced under a decade ago so this kind of change is liable to happen several times in his lifespan.  Would he be able to spot a counterfeit coin or note?

Assuming the answer to all the above is 'yes', or that he has Dan hidden behind the bar to verify all the money for him, it would be kind of cool - he can probably tell if someone is underage without even looking at them.

Actually, some judicious mind reading would also probably be enough to spot someone trying to hand over counterfeit money, as well as an underage drinker. After all, any criminal is probably thinking of their caper. Someone handing over fake money would probably have "Is he going to buy it" running through his mind.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on August 29, 2009, 10:01:53 AM
Actually, some judicious mind reading would also probably be enough to spot someone trying to hand over counterfeit money, as well as an underage drinker.
Not after the stuff has entered circulation, they won't.  There's been an explosion in fake pound coins recently - my brother has learned to spot them and once or twice I've ended up with change containing something that physically resembles - but isn't - a 50p piece.
The embarrassing part was when a shopkeeper with sharper eyes than me pointed this out  :rolleyes

Jairus

Oh, Abel's probably taken Sweeping 101, Advanced Cleaning, and maybe even a Modern Currency elective by this point. I'm sure he'll do fine.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Gamma

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2009, 10:11:32 AM
There's been an explosion in fake pound coins recently...

Huh, since we Americans want to spend a lot of money on currency made from cotton; I never really thought of counterfeiting coins much. Sounds pretty lucrative. :3

I do agree that Abel has a reason in the back of his mind to find a way to mess with Dan. If there is a problem we may not get to see much of it besides a comment a day later or just three panels. Hell it could be the whole arch with something being stolen, Mows on the loose, yada yada.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Fex

If you need 300 year in college to just sweep, how much do you need to be aloud to serve? :B

Anri

Well... if someone is knowingly trying to pull one over on Abel I think he's likely to pick up that thought from them and know.

JackTheCubiWolf

So, I was half right about Alexis leaving Abel in charge. She's just not going anrwhere. And on the rant of Final Destination, it would probably be a bit better if they actually give the people someone to physically fight.
I'm back, and tired.

Starcat5

Quote from: JackTheCubiWolf on August 29, 2009, 11:52:50 AM
So, I was half right about Alexis leaving Abel in charge. She's just not going anrwhere. And on the rant of Final Destination, it would probably be a bit better if they actually give the people someone to physically fight.

That actually poses an interesting question for me: In any of the movies, did ANYONE actually survive past the ending credits?
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Jairus on August 29, 2009, 11:30:11 AM
Oh, Abel's probably taken Sweeping 101, Advanced Cleaning, and maybe even a Modern Currency elective by this point. I'm sure he'll do fine.

Good point.  Abel would have to have known about modern currency and had some non-counterfeited modern currency on his person or he would not have been able to buy the things he did in the mall arc.

I can't seem to find the strip where Abel is explaining to Jyrrus that it's easier for cubi to get a job, earn some real money, and just buy raw things instead of synthesizing them through magic.

Icon by Sunblink

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Buhamet

I'm pretty sure that Abel'd be able to handle any agressive drunks during a night shift, along with any hostile people in general, drunk or not. All he'd have to do is read their minds, confuse them to hell, and if all else fails, possibly make them question their whole lifestyle and sexuality :P

Either way, Abel working the nightshift probably isn't going to be as much of a problem as many people think. He won't have to worry about lacking energy or boredom either, so I don't really see many downsides, other than Lexsi or Dan waking up by accident

Tapewolf

Quote from: Buhamet on August 29, 2009, 01:21:07 PM
I don't really see many downsides, other than Lexsi or Dan waking up by accident

I don't know if Dan does sleep anymore.  Interestingly he might do it to try and get in touch with Cyra, and he might still do it out of habit, but I don't believe he needs to.

Buhamet

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2009, 01:37:20 PM
Quote from: Buhamet on August 29, 2009, 01:21:07 PM
I don't really see many downsides, other than Lexsi or Dan waking up by accident

I don't know if Dan does sleep anymore.  Interestingly he might do it to try and get in touch with Cyra, and he might still do it out of habit, but I don't believe he needs to.

Good point. Cyra'd probably be able to help with any nagging questions he'd have about what Cubi can do, and besides, he's just met his grandmother for the first time. He'd probably want to know a bit about her

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2009, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on August 29, 2009, 10:01:53 AM
Actually, some judicious mind reading would also probably be enough to spot someone trying to hand over counterfeit money, as well as an underage drinker.
Not after the stuff has entered circulation, they won't.  There's been an explosion in fake pound coins recently - my brother has learned to spot them and once or twice I've ended up with change containing something that physically resembles - but isn't - a 50p piece.
The embarrassing part was when a shopkeeper with sharper eyes than me pointed this out  :rolleyes

I have 16 pounds from coins given me by travellers now and then.  :3

I also have 100 pounds of US pennies... that's weight, not currency.  It took me 3 days to roll them all.   :erk
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Lego3400

Quote from: Alondro on August 29, 2009, 02:47:48 PM
I also have 100 pounds of US pennies... that's weight, not currency.  It took me 3 days to roll them all.   :erk
:erk ....  :mwaha

That is all I can say to that.

Zedd

Hey I had two years of collage and yet I got a job anyways as well o.o

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

jimsan

This may have been mentioned in yesterday's discussion, but did anyone else notice she's wearing a black dress. Remember how Dan reacted last time Alexi wore a black dress? (I wonder if he just hasn't noticed yet...)
Surely he won't think Abel is using mind control on Alexi....  :mwaha
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

Kenji

I'd call his references. Just in case.