05/11/09 [DMFA #1001] - Where's Christopher Walken when you need him?

Started by Gamma, May 11, 2009, 12:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatmon

Quote from: inuhanyo on May 11, 2009, 01:05:35 AMThe flashback in Abel's story don't imply such a size for Siar, so I think Cyra is taking full advantage of the dream environment.  It's easy to see advantages to her agenda (whatever it is) to impressing Dan a lot.

Siar is shown to be maybe half as big as the dragon she's fighting with.

Here is the image of Abel and Pyroduck, to give an example of scale.  It is probably safe to assume Hizell is a much bigger dragon.

Assuming that a dragon capable of threatening a clan leader is going to be bigger than most, that would make her a pretty big cubi.

Goatmon

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 11, 2009, 09:14:37 AM
I just noticed something amusing from DMFA1000-1001.... there's nothing holding that bra thing on Cyra. 

If you look at 1000 it looks like it's being held up across the back.  Look at 1001.. it's not.

Masters of defying physics indeed.

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anything fastening that bra other than a ring connecting the left and right cup.  And her arm blocks any view of that same spot in the newest page.  There's also the strap around her neck, which is visible in both pages.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on May 11, 2009, 09:14:48 AM
Assuming that a dragon capable of threatening a clan leader is going to be bigger than most, that would make her a pretty big cubi.

Well, if you were being attacked by a dragon in full form, I suspect you'd probably want to make yourself big enough that it couldn't just stomp on you.  (Which also raises the horrible possibility of how the rest of Clan Siar died, and the question of just exactly what she was trying to do by summoning them all).

EDIT:
To summarise, it's not clear whether Tri-wings are naturally massive.  Given their powers, they probably choose a size most appropriate to their audience or whatever they're doing at the time.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Jairus on May 11, 2009, 02:18:36 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on May 11, 2009, 02:10:05 AM
Something tells me that Cyra has something special in plan for Dan.  
... ...That or he's one lucky guy to see such an impressive pair up close... in both size and shape.
Dude... she's like, his great-great-great-great-+++++-grandmother.
...And? (I'm sorry, it had to be done :< )

Terrion

Quote from: Goatmon on May 11, 2009, 09:18:51 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 11, 2009, 09:14:37 AM
I just noticed something amusing from DMFA1000-1001.... there's nothing holding that bra thing on Cyra. 

If you look at 1000 it looks like it's being held up across the back.  Look at 1001.. it's not.

Masters of defying physics indeed.

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anything fastening that bra other than a ring connecting the left and right cup.  And her arm blocks any view of that same spot in the newest page.  There's also the strap around her neck, which is visible in both pages.

That's not a connecting strap, that's a decorative collar. Given the design of Cyra's top, and her sheer size (and therefore the equivilent mass of her bosom), coupled with the lack of noticable straps...

That thing is held in place either by magic or sheer will-power! No clip or glue would hold that much fabric in place on a coninuously shifting mass of those proportions while under the tention shown with the ring connection without some sort of major support. And since the top does not continue across the back, magic or a similar ability must be involved. That being said, it's hardly a big deal as the outfit seams to be relatively sedate by cubi standards.

I've more respect for Dan for maintaining eye contact (except I still think he's looking at her ears...)  >:3

Ghostwish

Geezus, did you see the size of those headwings? Which is clearly what Dan is looking at. :>

Corgatha Taldorthar

I suppose this could go onto the other thread too, but I've been thinking.

For Cyra to appear in Dan's dreams, we really need three things to come together.

1. Cyra has to want to appear in Dan's dreams.

2. Cyra has to be able to locate Dan in some fashion.

3. Cyra has to have the ability to enter dreams, possibly from long distance.

Number 3 seems to exist, and really, for a tri-wing 'cubi, would you expect anything else? Now, it's possible that Cyra has been keeping tabs on Dan, and only just now decided to intervene, but that doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, he got beaten up by a demon, and managed to get his friends to heal him up and bring him to safety. At this point, what's at stake is his pride, and I for one cannot see a super-powerful clan leader going too out of her way to salve his ego.

Which leaves #2, that Cyra could not locate, or perhaps was even unaware of Dan's existence until recently. Super-Powerful 'Cubi are not omniscient. Fa'Lina only was able to discern Dan's location because Aaryaana (Sp?) sent her the SAIA registration forms. Now, if you look at what changed on Dan between then and now, one of the more significant happenings has been the emergence of a little clan symbol on his right shoulder.  It's possible, even probable, that those symbols serve as some sort of connecting force between Clan members, possibly how Siar was able to contact her clan members in the other comic.

Which leads me to one biggie for Amber. Why are you hiding Dan's right shoulder so we can't see the clan symbol? Is there some dark, hideous secret there?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 11, 2009, 10:30:54 AM
Now, if you look at what changed on Dan between then and now, one of the more significant happenings has been the emergence of a little clan symbol on his right shoulder.  It's possible, even probable, that those symbols serve as some sort of connecting force between Clan members, possibly how Siar was able to contact her clan members in the other comic.

Well, she said "Finally meet you", which implies that she's known about him for some time - not that she's suddenly realised he exists.  Now it might well be that she couldn't do this trick until he had the clan mark, but to me that would also imply that she would be able to intervene in the fight.

I suspect that there's another factor too - she can't communicate in this manner unless Dan's mind is susceptible to it, which would happen when he's asleep.  That wouldn't have been the case for Siar and Aniz, though I imagine you'd probably not want to appear in everyone's dreams while the dragon is still trying to kill you... a different technique would be more appropriate.

But yeah, you may well be onto something here.

Which leads me to one biggie for Amber. Why are you hiding Dan's right shoulder so we can't see the clan symbol? Is there some dark, hideous secret there?
He didn't seem to have it in strip 998.

Garsemor

Quote from: Ghostwish on May 11, 2009, 09:45:40 AM
Geezus, did you see the size of those headwings? Which is clearly what Dan is looking at. :>

Those headwings are as big as Dan's backwings. She could squish him whit one of those no problem  :U.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 11, 2009, 10:43:13 AM
[He didn't seem to have it in strip 998.

He didn't have his headwings in 998 either. I kind of thought it was a memory, or possiby a projection of himself as an adventerur and not as a 'cubi.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Mao

Quote from: Garsemor on May 11, 2009, 10:48:15 AM
Quote from: Ghostwish on May 11, 2009, 09:45:40 AM

Those headwings are as big as Dan's backwings. She could squish him whit one of those no problem  :U.

There are some deaths that are entirely acceptable.  Getting squished by that impressive set of..'wings' would be fine by me.

Keleth

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 11, 2009, 09:22:35 AM
(Which also raises the horrible possibility of how the rest of Clan Siar died, and the question of just exactly what she was trying to do by summoning them all).

I'll take "Trying to Kill it" for 300 Alex
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on May 11, 2009, 11:09:15 AM

That would be a very much like trying to kill someone in full platemail by summoning about 60 minature poodles.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 11, 2009, 11:17:26 AM

That would be a very much like trying to kill someone in full platemail by summoning about 60 minature poodles.

If they can bite at the knee joints........

Michael Chandra

... ...That or he's one lucky guy to see such an impressive pair up close... in both size and shape.
If it ain't illegal by law anymore, and by that big a degree it most certainly isn't, then what's the problem? =)

Turnsky

is it wrong for me to notice Clan Siar's predominant color?

-->Hint<--

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Arcblade

Quote from: Turnsky on May 11, 2009, 11:32:01 AM

-->Hint<--

Ooh... nice leap of logic. 

Aganerral

Not necessarily.  Could just be his grandmother.  Afterall, Dee was ~6000 when she had Dan.  We have no age on Cyra herself, but it's not inconceivable that she ascended to tri-wing sometime in those 6000 years but had some children herself (including Dee) prior to that.  Unless I missed some Word of God on Cyra's actual age :)

Granted, this doesn't change the 'Dude, she's his 'some degree of grandmother' factor :)

Corgatha Taldorthar

Siar's predicament can't count as redshirting. Redshirts are there to die in the place of an important character to undrscore that an encounter is serious. But if Siar herself dies....... That's more of a last stand and the army dies too.

*nods*

Jairus

-->Hint<--
*snnnnnrk* I did not notice that.

Okay, I give up. What's the thread's title a reference to?

Quote from: Aganerral on May 11, 2009, 11:42:13 AM

Not necessarily.  Could just be his grandmother.  Afterall, Dee was ~6000 when she had Dan.  We have no age on Cyra herself, but it's not inconceivable that she ascended to tri-wing sometime in those 6000 years but had some children herself (including Dee) prior to that.  Unless I missed some Word of God on Cyra's actual age :)

Granted, this doesn't change the 'Dude, she's his 'some degree of grandmother' factor :)
Yup.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 11, 2009, 11:45:31 AM
Siar's predicament can't count as redshirting. Redshirts are there to die in the place of an important character to undrscore that an encounter is serious. But if Siar herself dies....... That's more of a last stand and the army dies too.

*nods*
Well... she is a minor character, related to the others. If she dies, it does make the encounter/situation much more serious for Aniz, and sets him down the path to where he is now. In a way, she is expendable. Siar could have been male, or a dog, or a hyena, or a centaur, or anything else: Siar basically exists to die in battle and leave Aniz alone.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Aganerral

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 11, 2009, 10:50:19 AM

He didn't have his headwings in 998 either. I kind of thought it was a memory, or possiby a projection of himself as an adventerur and not as a 'cubi.

It's entirely possible that Dan doesn't even realize that his clan mark has appeared.  He was sorta busy when it happened, and since then he's been pretty much passed out.  Since a dream image is sort of a mental projection of how he thinks he looks, it wouldn't necessarily be there.

Or maybe Amber's showing Dan from the left side just because she's not in the mood to draw the mark :)

Lego3400

Turnsky

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 11, 2009, 11:45:31 AM

*nods*

depends on who dies off first.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

N-Cat

Hey, guys, I only just realized this- Fa'lina is a member of clan Fa'lina, and Fi's original symbol was Fa'lina.  This can lead to all sorts of interesting discussions, like how we can use nouns as adjectives.  I was inspired to this by finally realizing that Cyra is a real person and her name is used as an adjective in previous strips.

Keleth

Welcome to Cubi battle strategies?  :U
Help! I'm gay!

Draken

Quote from: Drathorin on May 11, 2009, 12:35:13 PM

Welcome to Cubi battle strategies?  :U

AHA!  They are masters of the Zerg Rush!

Or possibly Death of a Thousand Cuts.

I think she may have wanted to humiliate that dragon maybe? 
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Shachza

You know, I'm still of a mind that if they don't fit in one hand, then your headwings are waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too big.

I'm just happy she's not MY grandmother.  I would feel so awkward.
"Here honey, have a cookie."
*passes out*

P.S.  That Tvtropes place is an interesting site.  I think I'll go get lost there for a couple hours.
            <-- #1 that is!

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 11, 2009, 10:50:19 AM

I think he doesn't even know the clan symbol is there yet. I doubt he'd pay attention to something appearing on his shoulder during a fight, and he passed out shortly after
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Naldru

-->Hint<--
I think that it's more of an issue that red and blue were the colors that Amber used for the headwings (and other body parts) of Aniz and Destania.  She then carried the color scheme to the clan leaders.  Red and blue, two colors that go well together.

Edit:

I suspect that Cyra and Fa'Lina are pleased that Marks and Spencer changed their policy.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Kenway975

At this point, what's at stake is his pride, and I for one cannot see a super-powerful clan leader going too out of her way to salve his ego.

Which leaves #2, that Cyra could not locate, or perhaps was even unaware of Dan's existence until recently. Super-Powerful 'Cubi are not omniscient. Fa'Lina only was able to discern Dan's location because Aaryaana (Sp?) sent her the SAIA registration forms. Now, if you look at what changed on Dan between then and now, one of the more significant happenings has been the emergence of a little clan symbol on his right shoulder.  It's possible, even probable, that those symbols serve as some sort of connecting force between Clan members, possibly how Siar was able to contact her clan members in the other comic.

I would suspect that Cyra has know of Dan's existence right after or possibly before he was born. Any good clan leader, IMO, would want to keep tabs on the rest of the clan to keep track on how they are doing. As for knowing where he is at the time... you may be correct in that the clan symbols serve as a link to the rest of the clan.

As for why approach him now... yes, his pride has been damaged. And no, I don't think that Cyra will try to help heal his injured ego. But when someones pride has been that severely damaged, it is also the best time to talk/guide/manipulate them because they will listen. Usually the best time to help correct someones mistake in whatever type of form, if after they fail. Because until they fail, so many people have their prides and egos in the way of properly receiving good advise on how to do <fill in activity here> better.