01/04/09 [PF #57.314159] - Comprehensive tour

Started by Sofox, April 01, 2009, 06:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofox

Well, you could say he was doing it in the interests of full disclosure.

Tapewolf

There will actually be a page 58 this week, hence the fractional (irrational?) page number in the rant.  Also, people may find this page is best viewed with a CRT monitor.

EDIT:  Figured I may as well change the thread title.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

Seems to me this comic would have been best saved for later as a filler, but meh.

(Joshua?) looks very appropriately annoyed in this comic :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 01, 2009, 09:18:53 AM
Seems to me this comic would have been best saved for later as a filler, but meh.

It was a bit touch-and-go with the deadline, not least because I finally got the lineart around 20 minutes to midnight.  If we had flunked it, then yes, I'd have used it for filler.  We did do something for April last year and it would have been a shame to miss out this year.

On another topic, I suppose it's as good a time as any to announce that we'll be running a second strip in parallel, a character backstory along the lines of Abel's Story.  It will probably be monthly and since Ren unfortunately cannot fit it in (we tried but it got pushed back twice), someone else will be doing the line-art.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 01, 2009, 09:27:03 AM
On another topic, I suppose it's as good a time as any to announce that we'll be running a second strip in parallel, a character backstory along the lines of Abel's Story.  It will probably be monthly and since Ren unfortunately cannot fit it in (we tried but it got pushed back twice), someone else will be doing the line-art.
Would this be the original Chronicles? :eager

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 01, 2009, 09:36:57 AM
Would this be the original Chronicles? :eager
A chapter from it, yes.  If it proves popular I might do more, but I'm looking at doing a particular chapter as a 12-part short to begin with.

Jairus

Is this a subversion of all those tropes about how you rarely see or hear references bathrooms or toilets or even the usage of the same in various media? Well, aside from being funny.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on April 01, 2009, 10:50:39 AM
Is this a subversion of all those tropes about how you rarely see or hear references bathrooms or toilets or even the usage of the same in various media? Well, aside from being funny.

I can't quite remember the genesis of this idea, but IIRC it was something that cropped up on an IM session or a PM conversation.  I have a feeling that llearch was involved in it but I could be wrong (I'd have to check).  I was originally going to modify the script for chapter 8 to accommodate the idea but decided it might be better as an April Fool strip.

The idea that Joshua would be even more annoyed because he can't go anymore only occurred to me fairly late in the game.

AmigaDragon

If he can take in food, even if he can't process it, he would have to go anyway, unless it all goes to an internal incinerator. Even then there'd at least be a little ash. Yeah, take a Mr Fusion from Back To The Future 2 and put that where his stomach would be. :mowcookie
OK, so instead of the bathroom, he could use any convenient trash can.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 01, 2009, 11:49:15 AM
If he can take in food, even if he can't process it, he would have to go anyway, unless it all goes to an internal incinerator

Actually, since he takes in rods of boron-11 through the chest panel (see Dorcan) the waste would primarily consist of Helium-4.

Mao

laymen terms:  He farts and everyone with lungs and vocal chords talks squeeky.

Pagan

Thank you, Mao.

If I remember correctly, Jak pretty directly told Joshy-boy not to eat anything.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Pagan on April 01, 2009, 12:24:13 PM
Thank you, Mao.

If I remember correctly, Jak pretty directly told Joshy-boy not to eat anything.
That was with his older robotic body, I believe. Though I don't think he can eat now that he has an advanced robotic body either.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on April 01, 2009, 01:02:24 PM
That was with his older robotic body, I believe. Though I don't think he can eat now that he has an advanced robotic body either.

Since he is now wholly devoid of organic components, it pretty much goes without saying  >:3
If he did, it would certainly interfere with his ability to speak.  Though since it would feel nothing whatsoever like what putting something in his mouth used to feel like, I doubt he'd get to the swallowing part before he thought "Maybe this isn't a good idea".

llearch n'n'daCorna

OTOH, it's often useful to be able to fake things when you want to remain incognito...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 01, 2009, 01:56:28 PM
OTOH, it's often useful to be able to fake things when you want to remain incognito...

True.  No provision for it has been made in the current model (see Dorcan's interior) but it's liable to be added as an upgrade later.

Jack McSlay

he has a quite significant bulge for a cyborg
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That would be Daryil's influence. And Joshua hasn't noticed yet. Either that or Tapewolf isn't willing to sink that low quite so soon...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 02, 2009, 11:06:32 PM
That would be Daryil's influence. And Joshua hasn't noticed yet. Either that or Tapewolf isn't willing to sink that low quite so soon...

You think I told Keaton how long his member was?  :B  Ask her about that... I just said 'Draw Joshua and Jakob'.  I honestly hadn't noticed until it was pointed out.

Though it does remind me of Niall.  Amber was a trifle generous there when she drew him.  When I used her picture as a reference at RBW, the guy obviously spotted it and made it bigger still.  I might use his pic as a reference at AC - a few more iterations and it'll be as long as his muzzle.

Anyway, I'm slightly disappointed that no-one seems to have said "What the heck is _____ all about?"  I guess no-one has looked at the comic with a CRT monitor.  Seriously, most TFTs are 6-bit, which means they can only display 262144 colours and the fine detail gets lost.  Turning the brightness and contrast to minimum might help, though.  Gimp or photoshop is better yet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Looking at it with a CRT, I can't see the difference between that and my TFT.

This may just mean that I can't see what you're talking about, of course.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 03, 2009, 04:08:30 AM
Looking at it with a CRT, I can't see the difference between that and my TFT.

This may just mean that I can't see what you're talking about, of course.

Probably.  It's deliberately made very faint.  I was going to make it just a few levels off white, but having it appear as a smudge was a good enough compromise.

**EDIT**

Unfortunately we're looking at a Saturday or Sunday update again.  However, I should be able to make up for it as we'll probably have two updates.

Gabi

That's not an irrational number. Show me the missing digits. >:]

Anyway, the strip was funny... but I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean and my monitor is CRT. Are you talking about the unreadable phrase below "Project Future"?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on April 03, 2009, 09:27:53 AM
That's not an irrational number. Show me the missing digits. >:]

Anyway, the strip was funny... but I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean and my monitor is CRT.

There's a secret message.

Gabi

Ah, right. I'd seen there was something but couldn't read it. Now that I've opened it with The Gimp and reduced the contrast, I've managed to read it, but it still makes no sense to me. Is it a quote? I know it's a pun on the phrase "gone out", but it has nothing to do with the comic.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 03, 2009, 03:38:11 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 02, 2009, 11:06:32 PM

You think I told Keaton how long his member was?  :B  Ask her about that... I just said 'Draw Joshua and Jakob'.  I honestly hadn't noticed until it was pointed out.

GOD DAMMIT! XD

I swear to god that it's the angle!

I CAN'T DRAW PEOPLE IN PROFILE

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on April 03, 2009, 09:32:55 AM
Ah, right. I'd seen there was something but couldn't read it. Now that I've opened it with The Gimp and reduced the contrast, I've magaged to read it, but it still makes no sense to me. Is it a quote?

Unfortunately it's somewhat UK-centric.  Heck, it was going 2AM when I suddenly got the idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_(TV_series)

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on April 03, 2009, 09:32:55 AM
GOD DAMMIT! XD
I swear to god that it's the angle!

Good  :P

Gabi

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 03, 2009, 03:38:11 AM
Though it does remind me of Niall.  Amber was a trifle generous there when she drew him.  When I used her picture as a reference at RBW, the guy obviously spotted it and made it bigger still.  I might use his pic as a reference at AC - a few more iterations and it'll be as long as his muzzle.

Amber drew a pic of Niall? Can the plebs see this picture?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on April 03, 2009, 10:32:14 AM
Amber drew a pic of Niall? Can the plebs see this picture?

I thought there was a link in the commissions thread, but I can't find it.

Anyway, these are the coloured-line versions.  I have black-line versions which I actually prefer, but not on me (I'm at work).  I used them for their wiki entries, though.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/Niall.png
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/Dorcan_Full25.png

...simply put, I couldn't decide which character to commission, so I asked for Jakob, Dorcan and Niall posing for a photo shoot (yes, I paid extra for that).  It's not yet complete, Jakob himself is the missing piece.

EDIT:

http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Image:05_Niall.png
http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/Image:05_Dorcan.png

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 03, 2009, 09:34:40 AMGood  :P

Amber pointed out a while back that as time goes on, Jyrras's ears will grow large enough to smother entire cities and her characters' hair will become sharp enough to pierce skin.

In my case, by the time I'm thirty, every man I draw will end up looking like he's smuggling one of Jupiter's moons in his pants. :<