All about Tha Chat.

Started by Turnsky, March 24, 2009, 10:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

ookaay, i figured i'd spare Llearch some pain here, from folks wondering about the unofficial DMFA chat, #comicfrenzy.

Long story short, the server the IRC was being held on had to be taken down, permanently. How this affects you, is that there is no longer a chat for folks to accumulate and procrastinate upon, at least until a new home is found for it.

Either way, the chat is down for an unspecified amount of time, and bothering Llearch about it isn't gonna get it done quicker, although it may certainly earn his ire a lot faster than one would otherwise.  >:3

I'm fairly sure the world won't end before then, or if it does, it'll be moot anyways. Though i suspect some of our regulars are imploding from withdrawal as i type this.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

*implodes*

Honestly though, I'm not bothered by it.  I'm kinda happy that he doesn't have time to fix it mainly because I'm glad he's finally got some stable work going.  Transition periods are rough.

I will say this much though: if I can find a spare machine to run it and the time to do so, I may try and set something up.  It likely won't be as reliable as llearch's if I do it, but it'd be something.  I'll spend some time tonight looking into it and see what I can do.

techmaster-glitch

*jawdrop*

Well, I haven't used the chat in awhile, but so THATS why the random huggle-maker wasn't working last night...

Cogidubnus

Aw. The server is down?

If it's not too much bother, might I ask what happened? Did it involve fire? >:3

Jairus

Quote from: Cogidubnus on March 24, 2009, 11:14:30 AM
If it's not too much bother, might I ask what happened? Did it involve fire? >:3
Or a bunch squirrels, hacksaws, and someone's lawyers?

But yes, that does explain why the random hug generator wasn't working. I was vaguely wondering about that.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Curiously the Story server seems to be broken, though it is still up.  I guess it must be pulling its data from the affected box or something.  The Nice mirror seems to work,though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mwa

16:04:21 [Llearch] -!- Irssi: Unable to connect server irc.llearch.net port 6667 [Connection refused]   
16:04:53 -!- Irssi: Removed reconnection to server irc.llearch.net port 6667

Seeing this made me sad.

Gareeku

*curled up in the corner, rocking back and forth* oh god...need chat goodness...

Nah, I'm kidding.*  These things happen.

*Or am I? >_>

Dannysaysnoo

Couldn't we migrate to a room we make on Quake.net or something?

Faerie Alex

If someone could tell me how, I's be happy to lend my site to the task. Though it is only a server I rent, not an actual box I have in my home, so I have no idea whether such a thing would work. :<

EDIT: My host provides a web-based "IRC-like" chat in the form of "x7 Chat." Again, I have no idea what it's like, but I'd guess that I could at least have something operational -fairly- quickly. Let me know if any of y'all would be willing to give it a shot.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Turnsky

Aw. The server is down?

server is deader than Elvis, as i stated before, Llearch is off looking/sleeping/eating/procrastinating for a new one.

folks, short of the Box, i don't know much else than "Server gone, Box looking for new one, we'll know when later on"

James StarRunner

Quote from: Jairus on March 24, 2009, 11:25:55 AM
Or a bunch squirrels, hacksaws, and someone's lawyers?

But yes, that does explain why the random hug generator wasn't working. I was vaguely wondering about that.
I swear I didn't do anything! This time...

Pagan

Quote from: Turnsky on March 24, 2009, 09:41:26 PM
server is deader than Elvis, as i stated before, Llearch is off looking/sleeping/eating/procrastinating for a new one.

folks, short of the Box, i don't know much else than "Server gone, Box looking for new one, we'll know when later on"
Elvis isn't dead, he just went home.

Shame about the chat. But all good things must come to an end.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Gabi

That's hard to hear. But it's not permanent, right?

In the meantime, I offer you my Tea House (irc.darkmyst.org - #TeaHouse) as a temporary refuge. Hardly anyone uses it anyway.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Turnsky

Quote from: Gabi on March 24, 2009, 10:48:35 PM
That's hard to hear. But it's not permanent, right?

In the meantime, I offer you my Tea House (irc.darkmyst.org - #TeaHouse) as a temporary refuge. Hardly anyone uses it anyway.

it's not permanent, but it may be a long time, it may be tomorrow, who knows.

Gabi

I can be patient. After all, I play Ponystars (and I doubt anyone will get what I mean, or why I play it).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Corgatha Taldorthar

Tis a shame, I was just getting into chatting on the community. (And figuring out how to run an IRC connection to get into one. Computer stupidity for the win!) Sorry for invoking my share of Murphy's law on you guys.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

ShadesFox

Unfortunate.  Then again I've been pretty irregular lately.  Been meaning to fix that and this doesn't help X3
The All Purpose Fox

SuaveIV

...dear lord, where will I idle now?

llearch n'n'daCorna

It'll be back.

The story goes, last week my supplier (oh, god does that sound dodgy) told me I had to power it off to avoid his rackspace shutting off his entire rack.

I gave him back 0.4 amps. He needed to bring it below 10, and he was using, I think, 12.2 or so. He did mention he'd taken down an old dell box and that had given him 1.1A back.

So. The current status is that the sites have been migrated to my other server, but many of the more esoteric components - like IRC, the CGI IRC access, the story server, etc, all need to be fixed and made to work on the new system. Because the IRC server I was using was hand-compiled, I've had to shift to a new one that comes as a package, which should make later upgrades easier, but means all the services and user accounts are now gone, so you'll all have to re-register with Nickserv.

I have an IRC up, but it's "administratively down" at present, while I get logging sorted. That's on my plan for today; watch this space.

For those wondering, my monday went something like: do stuff all day, get called to do some contract work, starting at 6pm. Work until 2pm Tuesday, then go home and sleep. I'm now awake, and mobile. After breakfast and a shower and getting dressed and stuff, I'll go and get the package that was missed yesterday due to me not being here, and then get calling the folks who I need to catch up on jobs with. After that, I'll look into the server.

As previously stated, the priority can be increased by pay; keeping enough money coming in to keep the roof over my head is a priority, sadly. My rates are 50 GBP/hour, and I'd guess this to take a couple of hours, maybe three.

I should make a list of all the people who've asked me about this... ;-]

Edit:
And paying work rears it's ugly head, once more. Sorry, folks...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Siirenia

I've grown so bored, I'm actually posting on the forums.

But I guess I already have the IM's of all the chatters worth talking to.  ;)

Mao

Lysander

And I didn't even notice there was a chat for the forum... When one is made again I will be there, but for now I'll try Gabi's.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Gareeku

Turnsky

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hmm. Should I be offended that he has mine?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 25, 2009, 09:09:36 PM

naw, just plot revenge.  >:3

after all, when the chat is back up, his ass, will be yours.

Lisky

as the old adage goes "don't get mad... get even"  :mwaha

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Siirenia

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 25, 2009, 09:09:36 PM

I think the lot I *don't* talk to by IM should be more offended that I think you're a better person than they are. <3

Lisky

i don't know why... but i have the inexplicable urge to stab somebody...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->