03/08/09 [DMFA #978] - Stay and Watch

Started by Raiettei, March 08, 2009, 03:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Schiller

Arghlegarphle!
Thus begins the Don Martinization of Dan.
:mwaha

Seriously, though.  Standing back and watching from a distance is a very good idea.

With regards,
Ted

Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats

Quote from: Ghostwish on March 08, 2009, 12:13:54 PMBut that's just me.  :mwaha
Certainly not just you. But certainly not me.

I like Regina. o3o Dunno why.

Quote from: Michael Chandra on March 08, 2009, 07:47:15 AMIf he shapeshifts properly he might be able to wedge the doors open.
Like the T-1000?
"There are things in life that we hold dear... Truths that we learn almost since the day we are born... beliefs that are solid as stone .... Then the wind blows a direction it cannot and certainty becomes an echo, and truth is sometimes deceiving."                          --Melpomene, Clan of the Cats

Teh_Hobo

This made me LOL quite a bit. I was imagining the last few strips with an epic black metal soundtrack to fit with the whole cubi rage, and this strip is kind of the visual equivalent of the record scratching to a stop.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

tiggertoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2009, 07:40:49 AMI'm curious as to what kind of help they think he needs.  There are a couple of things, which if strung together, suggest that 'Cubi sometimes do just go nuts as some kind of racial quirk.  Maybe they know about it and he doesn't?

Interesting idea. Remember that when Aniz sliced and diced Hennya, he had effectively left the building (as it were) -- he only realized what he had done after he returned to himself. Of course, Aniz really didn't have very far to go, to go psycho -- but that may be a Cubi trait in general (at least for certain clans). Aaryanna seemed to think panicked rampages were a fairly normal event for Cubi.

Tapewolf

Quote from: tiggertoo on March 08, 2009, 03:03:18 PM
Interesting idea. Remember that when Aniz sliced and diced Hennya, he had effectively left the building (as it were) -- he only realized what he had done after he returned to himself. Of course, Aniz really didn't have very far to go, to go psycho -- but that may be a Cubi trait in general (at least for certain clans). Aaryanna seemed to think panicked rampages were a fairly normal event for Cubi.

Dan seems to have a persistent belief that he might lose control and hurt people, but I can't find a reference at the moment (aside from this which isn't necessarily canon).

Fa'Lina echoes this sentiment in strip 491, though whether that's entirely true or whether she's just using Dan's own fears to manipulate him - for his own good, mind - is unclear.

EDIT:
It might explain the reluctance of Zinvth, especially after Aniz lost it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Torano

Hmm... I would wonder what would happen if Kria did decide to suddenly come up to Dan. I suspect she would most certainly get that "sparring" she was hoping for, and then some.

Lisky

... or she might try and take advantage of dan's emotional state... you know, when people are angry, they have a similar level of inhibitions as that of when they are mildly drunk and it's not just focused on the object of their anger...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Anodyne

Myself, I'm just wondering how long it'll take Dan to notice that there appears to be a handle on his side of the door.

We saw Regina shoving the door closed - we don't know that she's gotten it locked. Or if those locks couldn't be overridden by, say....the owner of the house?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anodyne on March 08, 2009, 03:33:35 PM
Myself, I'm just wondering how long it'll take Dan to notice that there appears to be a handle on his side of the door.

Out of interest, where?

QuoteWe saw Regina shoving the door closed - we don't know that she's gotten it locked. Or if those locks couldn't be overridden by, say....the owner of the house?
I think that if she hadn't locked it, she wouldn't have gone "Phew!" at the end.

Now I'm curious... did they also reinforce the floor?

FreeFull

The floor is a significant part of the structure, so I guess they did.

Tapewolf

Quote from: FreeFull on March 08, 2009, 04:05:39 PM
The floor is a significant part of the structure, so I guess they did.

True, but AFAIK Demons aren't generally burrowers.  If the purpose was to prevent damage during parties, the idea that someone could be incensed enough to want to dig their way past a barrier may have been overlooked.

EDIT:
Welcome to the board, by the way.  Don't forget to read the rules, be good, have fun etc.

FreeFull

I assume the floor is made out of stone, which would make it hard to dig through even if it isn't reinforced magically.
PS: Thanks Tapewolf for your welcoming, I already read the rules before posting. Nothing I should have trouble with, standard rules for a normal forum.

Teh_Hobo

Also, there could be another floor below, which would make that also a ceiling, which i assume would be reinforced.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

FreeFull

Uhoh, awkward misspelling. That's what I get for posting with a PSP. Sorry Tapewolf.

Tapewolf

Quote from: FreeFull on March 08, 2009, 05:08:04 PM
Uhoh, awkward misspdlling. That's what I get for posting with a PSP. Sorry Tapewolf.

Heh.  I believe you are the first person to have actually done that, though a few people have noted the similarity.

Quote from: Teh_Hobo on March 08, 2009, 04:53:22 PM
Also, there could be another floor below, which would make that also a ceiling, which i assume would be reinforced.
True.

Draken

Can we really use Aniz as an appropriate comparison for Dan in this situation?

Aniz is a great deal older (even during the events in Abel's story), and was basically planning the entire thing up till the attack by the pink mythos.  It threw him off, got him a little ticked and shredded her, but in the end it seems like he was kinda willing to do such carnage.  (And he was supposedly nuts before all this occured to boot)

Dan is berserk at the moment, plain and simple.  No plan, no thought, nothing.  Just sheer anger.  However, beofre all this, he's mentally fine, though a bit depressed thaks to the realization of what he is (in terms of genetics, not spirit).   And given his attacks, he was not planning on doing this kind of "battle" beyond DP (if he was reborn that is).

Just wondering is all.
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Balthasar

Kria will help Lorenda will try and stop it :mowtongue

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2009, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: FreeFull on March 08, 2009, 05:08:04 PM
Uhoh, awkward misspdlling. That's what I get for posting with a PSP. Sorry Tapewolf.

Heh.  I believe you are the first person to have actually done that, though a few people have noted the similarity.
Heheh... Wiku Worm and Tape Worm.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Jairus on March 08, 2009, 07:58:55 PM
Heheh... Wiku Worm and Tape Worm.
...Pictures of the two together are demanded! :O

FreeFull

The tape worm would envelop itself around the Amber-wiku...
Welcome balthasar, I see you're new too!

Slacker Spice

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on March 08, 2009, 04:16:07 AM
There's a slight element of patheticism in that scene, for lack of an appropiate term. Futility, perhaps. He's clawing and flailing about but can't get through the door. It's the sort of thing that makes you want to just pat him on the back, go 'there there'... or maybe it's just me.

Yeah, I know what you mean - it's the kind of thing that inspires Fetish Fuel, really...

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

DarkAudit

If it weren't for a few dollars here and there in the wallpaper wars, we wouldn't even *know* about Aniz, so how the hell does he figure into the here and now?
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

inuhanyo

Quote from: DarkAudit on March 08, 2009, 11:12:40 PM
If it weren't for a few dollars here and there in the wallpaper wars, we wouldn't even *know* about Aniz, so how the hell does he figure into the here and now?

Fa'Lina's ban on Aniz's bringing another child to SAIA ends when Abel is 400.  Abel is currently 399.  We have no idea when the relevant anniversary date is, and Abel could be (re)introduced before then, so Aniz might show up at any time.  This is, of course, assuming that Aniz is still alive; we really have no idea what Dr. Ink was alluding to when he suggested that Abel should be concerned about Dan because Dan is Edward Ti'Fiona's son.

If Aniz show up, he'll likely be trying to manipulate Abel, and the only handles are the people Abel currently associates with, i.e. Dan and his nakama.  This will put Dan at odds with Aniz, and it would be a good thing for Dan to be prepared to cope with a hostile Incubus.  While Abel has has some kind of combat training, Abel didn't do so well against Arayanna at SAIA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 08, 2009, 11:52:53 PM
If Aniz show up, he'll likely be trying to manipulate Abel, and the only handles are the people Abel currently associates with, i.e. Dan and his nakama.  This will put Dan at odds with Aniz, and it would be a good thing for Dan to be prepared to cope with a hostile Incubus.

I'm not sure I buy that.  Firstly, Abel was just one of many intended siblings - Aniz would be concentrating on his new child.  Also, Destania has had the best part of 30 years to hunt him down and kill him, and with the resources of Biggs' family at her fingertips he might not take long to find.  In other words, if Aniz is still alive, it's because she wants him to be.

DarkAudit

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 08, 2009, 11:52:53 PM
Quote from: DarkAudit on March 08, 2009, 11:12:40 PM

Fa'Lina's ban on Aniz's bringing another child to SAIA ends when Abel is 400.  Abel is currently 399.  We have no idea when the relevant anniversary date is, and Abel could be (re)introduced before then, so Aniz might show up at any time.  This is, of course, assuming that Aniz is still alive; we really have no idea what Dr. Ink was alluding to when he suggested that Abel should be concerned about Dan because Dan is Edward Ti'Fiona's son.

If Aniz show up, he'll likely be trying to manipulate Abel, and the only handles are the people Abel currently associates with, i.e. Dan and his nakama.  This will put Dan at odds with Aniz, and it would be a good thing for Dan to be prepared to cope with a hostile Incubus.  While Abel has has some kind of combat training, Abel didn't do so well against Arayanna at SAIA.

No. No no no no. This era has no knowledge of Aniz (That we're aware of. He has not appeared in the main story. His *name* hasn't even been mentioned). If we had Regina's Story, none of this would be known about the ban, or what Aniz would do to Abel. For all we know, he's 200 years dead. He is not involved right now. Why drag him into where he doesn't belong?

Arcblade

Because it suggests new and interesting theories? 

inuhanyo

Because Amber would be perfectly justified in having him pop up in the main story at any time.  She'd put in some foreshadowing first, but it wouldn't take much.  And that's just because she takes into consideration that not everyone who reads DMFA also reads Abel's Story.

DarkAudit

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 12, 2009, 08:15:21 PM
Because Amber would be perfectly justified in having him pop up in the main story at any time.  She'd put in some foreshadowing first, but it wouldn't take much.  And that's just because she takes into consideration that not everyone who reads DMFA also reads Abel's Story.

And in this case, there hasn't been. Showing up just out of the blue would be a deus ex machina, and quite the reach. Some of the speculation here has been too out there to let lie. Dan and Mab are the stars of the show, not Aniz and Fa'lina.

(And I'm looking over my shoulder half expecting the steamroller that *is* Aniz to show up, because my griping here will most certainly guarantee that is what was planned all along.  :U)