20/02/09 [PF #53] - It didn't really sink in

Started by Jairus, February 20, 2009, 11:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 23, 2009, 09:38:25 PM
souleating is something like murder times ten, so attempted soul eating should be about attempted murder times ten
then again rape itself often had a hanging offense in much of history, or some other version of surgery
Quite.  This isn't exactly one of the most enlightened parts of the world that Dorcan has ended up in.  The way I see it, they had some kind of statute preventing outright discrimination against Creatures, but they managed to work around it by creative abuse of the legal system.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 23, 2009, 09:38:25 PM
then again rape itself often had a hanging offense in much of history, or some other version of surgery

The latter, mostly under the mistaken impression that it would stop the defendant from committing it again. Sadly, this turns out to not be the case; in these times of DNA checking, all it does is make it harder to identify the culprit, because he'll use something else instead...

Aren't people wonderful and friendly and soft and cuddly? :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Ren has advised me that he's not well.  Hence the strip is likely to be late this week.

llearch n'n'daCorna

This is not good, for Ren.

The comic can go hang. It's not life or death. Ren being healthy is important, though, because he's a nice guy etc.

Get better. We can wait.

Jairus

Well, I suppose that gives me a little more time to get the Radio Series moving, but yeah, he thinks he's got food poisoning or something like that. Rest up and get well soon, bro.

As for the legal system... Furrae's legal system is screwed up at best. I wouldn't be surprised if they more or less ignored their own laws or twisted them to their own ends so they could hang him. Dang dachshund mayor.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Gabi

Quote from: Jairus on February 24, 2009, 10:34:22 AM
Well, I suppose that gives me a little more time to get the Radio Series moving, but yeah, he thinks he's got food poisoning or something like that. Rest up and get well soon, bro.

As for the legal system... Furrae's legal system is screwed up at best. I wouldn't be surprised if they more or less ignored their own laws or twisted them to their own ends so they could hang him. Dang dachshund mayor.
Ah, you mean it's like the legal systems we have on Earth?

Maybe we should replace that mayor with thedachshund I have at home. Then everyone would be playing ball all day long.

Take care and get well soon, Ren.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Jairus

Quote from: Gabi on February 24, 2009, 11:32:11 AM
Quote from: Jairus on February 24, 2009, 10:34:22 AM
Ah, you mean it's like the legal systems we have on Earth?

Maybe we should replace that mayor with thedachshund I have at home. Then everyone would be playing ball all day long.
Well, to be fair, I can see why they would split up the legal system in such a way between beings and creatures (fantastic racism and all that - as we saw here, beings would most likely not give a creature a fair trial), but I think it's applied poorly and has a lot of problems.

If we replaced the Mayor with my dachshund... ho boy. He'd either be sleeping, eating, or yapping his head off at everything. He'd be a major pain in the back (literally: he's got back problems). Let's go with your dachshund, Gabi.

Tapewolf

One of the unspoken assumptions in Project Future is that things are better in the Being-Creature department, but they still have a long way to go.  Now imagine some nasty backwater in the US where the KKK still has some presence, and that's basically what Dorcan has got himself into.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 24, 2009, 11:45:30 AM
One of the unspoken assumptions in Project Future is that things are better in the Being-Creature department, but they still have a long way to go.  Now imagine some nasty backwater in the US where the KKK still has some presence, and that's basically what Dorcan has got himself into.
Yeesh, poor Dork-boy really lucked out on that one. But things being better in the relationships department, yeah, that makes sense. But as hinted at by Joshua and his Cubiphobia, there are still problems, and individuals still have their Racism (not racism, Racism - the magical Races as opposed to normal races.). I would find it hard to believe that things got worse in the last hundred-fifty years. I mean, I'd accept it, but given the direction things are moving in DMFA, I have to imagine that things would slowly get better.

Ren Gaulen

First of all, thanks, everyone. I'll try to get well soon. :3

Also, I feel like mentioning that in my own setting, "Shades of Grey" (well, at least within the Federation of United Terran Stars) a Creature would not have been sentenced to death if it has not killed anybody. However, it would likely have been subjected to certain.. modifications (special anti-magic enchantments and implantation of a magic-suppressing device) that would render them pretty much the same thing as Beings, which can be seen as a fate worse than death by some Creatures.

Mao

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 24, 2009, 12:01:38 PM
First of all, thanks, everyone. I'll try to get well soon. :3

Take your time and rest up man.  Hope you feel better soon.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 24, 2009, 12:01:38 PM
Also, I feel like mentioning that in my own setting, "Shades of Grey" (well, at least within the Federation of United Terran Stars) a Creature would not have been sentenced to death if it has not killed anybody. However, it would likely have been subjected to certain.. modifications (special anti-magic enchantments and implantation of a magic-suppressing device) that would render them pretty much the same thing as Beings, which can be seen as a fate worse than death by some Creatures.

Most things don't generally like having 'parts' of them cut off or disabled.  I can see why they would view it as worse than death.  If any part of me was cut off or suppressed I'd be pretty, pardon the pun, hacked off.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 24, 2009, 05:25:33 AM
Ren has advised me that he's not well.  Hence the strip is likely to be late this week.

Aw, get well soon, Ren. :< *:tighthug for Ren*

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2009, 04:23:05 AM
The latter, mostly under the mistaken impression that it would stop the defendant from committing it again. Sadly, this turns out to not be the case; in these times of DNA checking, all it does is make it harder to identify the culprit, because he'll use something else instead...

There was a Law and Order: SVU episode about that, actually. It was disturbing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 24, 2009, 12:54:12 PM

I expect so. I know I'm somewhat disturbed by the idea.

Brunhidden

the comic brings no joy without ren to share it with.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2009, 02:08:19 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 24, 2009, 12:54:12 PM

I expect so. I know I'm somewhat disturbed by the idea.

just because its a historical method does not mean its the best solution, i still think people who commit sexual crimes should have their crime tattooed on their forehead- the rest of their lives will be full of burgers with spit, knees to the groin, and chances of anyone going alone with them is nill

although i like law and order, the professors down at the criminal justice department scoff at CSI, one of the first things they do as an assignment is after teaching the class basic CSI procedure to watch an episode at home and tell the class how heinously wrong it is.

for those that get the TRU channel on cable, forensic files and mastermind are far more accurate and even have better suspense. really, the CSI series typically have some ungodly batputer with a photo of everyone on earth in it, they randomly find blood yards away from the scene of the crime, and from what ive seen half the show is usually something to do with a bomb threat to the CSI office itself or a hostage situation with a CSI member being kidnapped instead of actually solving crimes
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

I meant to post this before.  While not as advanced as Amber's technique of using The Sims to model the environment, this is the room Dorcan is in:

http://www.project-future.org/stuff/things/pf_map50.png

AmigaDragon

Another way of visualizing the set would be to build it in SecondLife. Go in, rez up the set, take some screenshots, and take it down (delete or retake into inventory) when you're done.

One nice thing about doing it in SL is that you can put up all the walls and make them invisible from one side for the camera.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 25, 2009, 10:57:15 PM
Another way of visualizing the set would be to build it in SecondLife. Go in, rez up the set, take some screenshots, and take it down (delete or retake into inventory) when you're done.

I am very much afraid that if I ever break down and enter Second Life, I may never come out again...

However, if I still have the disks I might dig out 3D construction kit :P

Tapewolf

http://project-future.xepher.net/stuff/things/ComicLate.png

Note - I have just updated the comic, albeit not to the standard I had hoped.  As of last night, Ren was hoping we'd have it done around Monday.  That depends on his recovery, of course.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ren Gaulen

Mao

Tapewolf

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2009, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 27, 2009, 12:22:40 PM
* llearch n'n'daCorna rotfls at the strip
Which one?

The current front page. Although I suppose that should go in a new thread...

The one with the broken video signal.

Brunhidden

Dorcan is made out of tofu? my nightmares, they are coming true!

fortunately ren is feeling better, i even had the privilege of distracting him from his suffering with my zany antics
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

meany

Okay, ashamed to have not commented sooner, but amazing strip. Hope you get better soon, Ren. :o

Tapewolf

Quote from: Meany on February 28, 2009, 06:58:33 PM
Okay, ashamed to have not commented sooner, but amazing strip. Hope you get better soon, Ren. :o
Thanks.  Not so good from Ren, last I heard though.  While he seems to be getting over the stomach bug or whatever it is, he might be coming down with the flu.  To be sure he hasn't been on much today, so I assume (hope) that he's in bed or otherwise taking it easy.

Unless he wakes up fine tomorrow, we're probably not going to make Monday, but I'll find out how he is in the morning before making an announcement (here and on the site).

The good news is that I do actually have a pre-inked draft of the page, so one possibility is that I assemble that (either digi-inked or just the raw sketches) into a comic, but whatever I do it will look different.

Tapewolf

Just as a heads-up, I now have the final lineart and am busily colouring it.  We're probably looking at a Monday update, though it's just possible I'll have something tonight.