[Art Exchange] Covert Courtesy Commutation ~ 6/8 gifts are up.

Started by Gabi, February 17, 2009, 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

If I recall correctly, the original idea was to post the submissions a bit after the deadline to 1) give some leeway to late gifters and 2) give the organizer some time to actually, y'know, organize the stuff.  So, in that regard, I'd say you're actually early, Gabi. ^^  As to why I'm posting this?  Well, I may not have really stuck around on this I still feel I'm a part of it (in a pretty much just in spirit way) and don't want to see you down or taking any flak. :)

FSharp

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 26, 2009, 10:36:02 AM
I'm going to follow Myr's lead and post my own story here to, for Fsharp.

Great stuff. The yarn is a particularly challenging narrative form because you're required to focus on both the story and the personality of the storyteller. In this case, the storyteller shows through especially well. I really like how he only recalls names after downing quite a few drinks; it hints at how the story is pretty painful for the narrator, and he's buried the specifics far enough down that only the whiskey can pry them out.

I also liked how he hints at elements that are assumed to be understood by the listener but not fully described, like the name of the villain. It lends credence to the story being part of a broader world.
"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dekari

Quote from: Gabi on November 26, 2009, 11:59:52 AM
I am NOT MIA! The deadline for submissions was yesterday, so I'm posting the gifts today. If you wanted to know about me, why didn't you talk to me on AIM/MSN/whatever IM client you use?

I'm sorry, I should have thought better.  Please forgive me.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Gabi

It's OK, Dekari. Just don't rush to declare me missing in the future.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Myr

FSharp...! Egads, that's amazing!

I'm rightfully pleased and impressed with the gift-I truly didn't expect to see something that wonderful! Thank you so much. *Hugs* I just wish I'd not had so much trouble getting the info to you sooner. Either way, I'm putting that up on FA so that others may view it. If you happen to have an account name on there, let me know and I'll put it there.

And...er, my apologies if I jumped the gun and posted my tale Gabi-was trying to keep as close to the schedule as possible and given the craziness that's recently invaded my life.
'I've seen monks try and cover their ears when they hear these haunting notes, but they just don't understand that your soul doesn't need ears to hear.' ~Malkithe

'Sanity is a spider clinging to a fluttering thread of web unaware of the fingers reaching for it, catching it, plopping it in my mouth....' ~Myr

Corgatha Taldorthar

Glad to hear you liked it, Fsharp!

I'll admit, the refusal of the narrator to name the big villain more stemmed out of my love and inspiration by certain Celtic and Finnish style mythologies, where naming of powerful people draws their attention. (The whole Dragon hunt thing is *very* loosely inspired by the Sigfried story.)

I did toy with the idea of "slurring" words, but I decided that was too cliche.

More blahs as they come to me.

Dekari, nice muzzle there. Here's hoping you do get that expertise in 3-d programs. It would be really nice to have a 3-d model on the character profile :D.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Fibre

Well... Wuffnpuff, your gift is finally ready. I'm really, really sorry that it took me so long before I was able to finish it. So, since it's so late, I just went ahead and put it up on FA here: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3174660/

I know it's not the most well-drawn piece, but I hope you like it anyway...

Sprocketsdance

Thanks Fibre!  :hug and no worries, it's very nice ^^ My comment is on your page :3  :boogie

WhiteFox

Quote from: Fibre on December 23, 2009, 12:28:30 AM
I know it's not the most well-drawn piece, but I hope you like it anyway...

Anything that adorable must be declared well drawn, de facto.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Fibre

Quote from: WhiteFox on December 24, 2009, 06:32:05 PM
Anything that adorable must be declared well drawn, de facto.

Aw, thank you, heh. :)

Seriously, though, there are of course definitely some places (or all, probably) where it could be improved. To make it more adorable. :) I may try to rework parts of it here as I try to improve. I'm still trying to figure out basic techniques (such as the inking, as seen here, to try to make it not look so "sterile" and improve the shape that seems to be getting mistranslated from the original sketch).

I would appreciate advice on how to improve, if anyone has advice that they wouldn't mind sharing. (Besides "practice", which I am trying to do, of course.) Maybe I should start a thread here...

Gabi

I think that would be a good idea, Fibre.

By the way, is anyone up for a new round?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Suwako

Heck, I'll roll with this.

Oh gods, what am I getting myself into...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Suwako

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 25, 2009, 10:46:03 AM
Quote from: Tytaj on December 25, 2009, 09:33:33 AM
Heck, I'll roll with this.

Oh gods, what am I getting myself into...

Trouble. As usual. ;-]

Hey, I was never proven to be part of any of that last time! I was just an innocent bystander.  :<

References... should gather references.... and orphans..

Faerie Alex

Jeez I need to update this thing.

FSharp

"To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

WhiteFox

I'm ready for more punishment.

Though, I'm curious as to what state my gift is in. No biggie, tho.

Quote from: Fibre on December 24, 2009, 07:33:37 PM
(Besides "practice", which I am trying to do, of course.)
Actually, that's about 95% of it. No lie.

Quote from: Fibre on December 24, 2009, 07:33:37 PM
Maybe I should start a thread here...
If you post it, we'll comment.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Gabi

I'm sorry, WhiteFox. Your gifter is slowly coming back to life. I hope he'll remember CCC soon, but as far as I know he still has a lot of pending tasks to complete. He won't be joining this new round in any case.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm not sure if this is necrothreadcy or not, but I was wondering what happened to this round? We seem to have stalled.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 06, 2010, 10:50:43 AM
I'm not sure if this is necrothreadcy or not, but I was wondering what happened to this round? We seem to have stalled.

It's not necro, no. Frowned on, yes, but not yet necro. And what with Christmas lull and stuff? no biggie.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

I guess we can start tomorrow. I was waiting for more people to sign up, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

Lisky

I'll throw my hat in as well, seems the shoulder isn't as big a problem as i'd feared...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Gabi

OK, the players for the new round are: Corgatha, Tytaj, modelincard, FSharp, WhiteFox, Basilisk.

All PMs have been sent. Round 7 is officially on.

The deadline to submit your gifts is Sunday, 7th of February, 2010.

Gabi

Logging in from my mum's computer, since my power stabilizer has sacrificed itself in order to save my computer from a power surge.

FSharp's gifter would like to know if he has any preference as to what he wants for his gift... writing or drawing. Or if he has a particular character(s) he wants the gift to focus around.

Basilisk's gifter would also like to know which one of his characters he'd like portrayed.

Also, modelincard's gifter wants to know what he would like to get.

Lisky

I haven't seem much of my Cubi character Edaric, lately... I think he could use some love...  Let Gabi know everything you need, and i'll get it together ASAP...

Though, for the Basic's, He's a rogue, who uses his shapeshifting abilities to replace any concealed weapons.  He's somewhat absentminded when he's actually obeying the law, though startling clever and capable when he's not.  In his normal form, he has longish blond hair, bright creamy orange fur with deep navy, not quite black, spots, his hair color is golden blond, with bright green eyes.  His ear tips, tail tip and the hands (to just below the wrist) and feet (to just above the ankle) are the dark navy as well.  Another distinguishing trait is a perfect circular spot on the front of his throat.

His tail would skim the floor if he were to let it drop.

Lets see, other basics... He stands just over 6', with an 18' wingspan (assuming his wings are exposed)  His skills focus around shapeshifting rather than magic.  He prefers to avoid a fight, but should one arise, he fights fast, vicious and with no holds barred.  Oh, and he's got a case of Kleptomania that gets him in trouble from time to time...

I think that just about covers the basics...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

FSharp

Quote from: Gabi on January 12, 2010, 11:56:41 AM
FSharp's gifter would like to know if he has any preference as to what he wants for his gift... writing or drawing. Or if he has a particular character(s) he wants the gift to focus around.

I'm happy with whatever I receive vis-a-vis drawing or writing, so go with your preference. If you have your own character(s) you'd like to use, that's great. Otherwise, any of the characters in my gallery would work. If you prefer something more detailed, I also keep some of my old NPC descriptions here.

Cheers,

F#

Gabi

Tytaj's gifter would like to know if Tytaj prefers [graphic] art or writing. Also, quoting... "any detailed character descriptions and subject references are certainly appreciated. The more I have to work with the better the gift will be."

Suwako

I myself would prefer graphic art, however if you are more comfortable with writing I would not object  :P

I'll look up some specific references tomorrow, On my furaffity account there's plenty of reference material ( mostly in the scrapbook )
my furaffinity account is: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tytaj/

If you use characters from there I would prefer you use one with an actual name xD

[ reminder to self: Update this post with specific references )

Faerie Alex

As far as what I'd like...Well, it would be cool if my gifter could draw one of my three characters. This has all three on it, and they're welcome to trawl through my (small) deviantART or Fur Affinity accounts for more.

Of course, if you're more comfortable writing, just ay so. I cn type up some brief personality descriptions. :3
Jeez I need to update this thing.