PF Episode 6 (Page 49)

Started by Tapewolf, November 28, 2008, 02:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 07, 2008, 07:58:52 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 07, 2008, 07:30:00 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 06, 2008, 11:06:16 PM
I was wondering about that since his mind/soul was originally organic-based before being grafted to cybernetics (thus, cyborganic). Does transfer from cyborganics to cybernetics actually change his status from cyborg to android? I'd think it could be debated either way, between origin and current state.
Difficult to say.  His body certainly is an android rather than a cyborg, but his mind is a tricky one.  Is Joshua an artificial intelligence?  I'd say no, because it was grown naturally, though that's kind of what you're arguing to say that he's a cyborg.
Personally, I just refer to them as android replicas and leave it at that.
Well, Joshua's body is 100% artificially created, and the soul is the only part of the original Joshua that's left. So I guess he is an android alright, but a one with a living soul for its core. So first and foremost, he is still Joshua. Android is just a term to describe his current state.
Like Rieko in Yosh. Just different method, one trapped before death with a soul stone and the other somehow retrieved after death. Both originally organic but now synthetic. At least Josh seems to have most (if not all) of his memories, Rieko has trouble with hers (perhaps the trauma of death).

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 07, 2008, 08:03:01 AM
I'm thinking of updating page 40 to add slightly more detail as to why Joshua can't flee.
These are the two versions of the page, comments would be much appreciated.

http://www.project-future.org/strips/comic/strip040.png - old

http://www.project-future.org/strips/comic/strip040a.png - new
"Error 404 one of us is wrong" is the new version? :mwaha
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 08, 2008, 12:31:48 PM
Like Rieko in Yosh. Just different method, one trapped before death with a soul stone and the other somehow retrieved after death. Both originally organic but now synthetic. At least Josh seems to have most (if not all) of his memories, Rieko has trouble with hers (perhaps the trauma of death).
It's a theme we're likely to revisit, though not for a long time.

Quote"Error 404 one of us is wrong" is the new version? :mwaha
Someone arrived a little late to that particular party...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 08, 2008, 12:34:53 PM
It's a theme we're likely to revisit, though not for a long time.

Well.. if you won't go with that theme, the suggestion Amber made still stands.  It would be an 'interesting' break from an otherwise fairly serious and straightforward comic.  Or if you wanted to go even further, I still say my observation about the spoon situation could have what some would see as pleasant results.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 08, 2008, 12:34:53 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 08, 2008, 12:31:48 PM"Error 404 one of us is wrong" is the new version? :mwaha
Someone arrived a little late to that particular party...

Sorry, I don't always check forums for a weekly strip several times a day. :mowwink
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 08, 2008, 03:00:59 PM
Sorry, I don't always check forums for a weekly strip several times a day. :mowwink

Point.  Though it does highlight the PF section in bold when there's something new there.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 08, 2008, 01:12:58 PM
Well.. if you won't go with that theme, the suggestion Amber made still stands.  It would be an 'interesting' break from an otherwise fairly serious and straightforward comic.  Or if you wanted to go even further, I still say my observation about the spoon situation could have what some would see as pleasant results.

We have an android with incomplete memory coming up in chapter 24, assuming nothing catastrophic interrupts the comic before then.

And Amber is quite welcome to draw Shonen-Ai of my characters if she wants.  As is Ren.  Just don't expect it to appear on the front page :P

**EDIT**
Having said that, we might need some kind of "Breaking up for Christmas" picture.  Sure, it's not what I was thinking in terms of, but what the heck...

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 08, 2008, 03:32:27 PM
And Amber is quite welcome to draw Shonen-Ai of my characters if she wants.  As is Ren.  Just don't expect it to appear on the front page :P

Can I draw some? c:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 09, 2008, 04:08:37 PM
Can I draw some? c:
I don't see why not.  But remember you're already booked for chapter 11  :P

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 08, 2008, 03:32:27 PM

**EDIT**
Having said that, we might need some kind of "Breaking up for Christmas" picture.  Sure, it's not what I was thinking in terms of, but what the heck...

I'd make a joke about Jakob requesting to stuff Joshua's stocking. But I figure Joshua would "deck" Jakob's halls.  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 11, 2008, 03:16:27 PM
I'd make a joke about Jakob requesting to stuff Joshua's stocking. But I figure Joshua would "deck" Jakob's halls.  :U
I walked right into that, didn't I  :rolleyes
Replace Jakob with Daryil and it'd be dead on.  Jakob is more of a lady's man...

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2008, 04:20:23 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on December 11, 2008, 03:16:27 PM
I walked right into that, didn't I  :rolleyes
Replace Jakob with Daryil and it'd be dead on.  Jakob is more of a lady's man...

...that works for me! :U

Ren Gaulen

I sense some plotting going on. :paranoid

Sofox

Does it disturb you that you don't seem to be part of it?

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Sofox on December 11, 2008, 09:59:10 PM
Does it disturb you that you don't seem to be part of it?
It does not. Because I am. :eek

Tapewolf

Early update today, as I was bored.

Ren Gaulen

Way to go, Johan! Kick him when he's down!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 12, 2008, 12:17:15 PM
Way to go, Johan! Kick him when he's down!
At least he won't break any ribs...

Amber Williams

Lies! He's totally kidding. :U  The very fact there is even the pretense of a choice indicates that he's bluffing about changing his mind.  It would make no sense at all keeping a free-thought troublemaker if it was simple enough to mentally re-write them.  At least thats my take on it.

Course odds are Joshua isnt thinking fully straight here, what with the panic and all whatnot. :B

On a more artistic crit, the inclusion of scenery elements doesn't really help out as much as one would probably want. that first panel in particular. The way things are arranged, it makes the area seem more empty and barren than anything. Like a bachelor's apartment where they only have a couch and a tv propped up on some milkcartons. Then again that may be the intent.

...I still say snugglings are in order. That chair with the daisies isn't helping anyones case. :U

Sunblink

Aha I totally forgot about the daisy. I forgot to mention that was awesome. Absurdly awesome.

Mao

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 12, 2008, 12:52:32 PM
...I still say snugglings are in order. That chair with the daisies isn't helping anyones case. :U

At first I thought the wing tentacles in the fourth frame were rope and that our friend here was being tied down to the daisy chair (though given how he's incapacitated and under control, that wouldn't be necessary) which would have just added fuel to the fire.  Either way.. who knows Amber, maybe given that shonen-ai is kinda evil it will be part of the ritual. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 12, 2008, 12:52:32 PM
The very fact there is even the pretense of a choice indicates that he's bluffing about changing his mind.  It would make no sense at all keeping a free-thought troublemaker if it was simple enough to mentally re-write them.  At least thats my take on it.

Joshua's brain may be artificial, but that doesn't mean that Jakob can just rewrite bits of him willy-nilly.  At the end of the day, it's a black box... it does its job, you don't need to understand how.
This means that if Jakob really wants to modify Josh's attitudes or memories, it's going to have to be done 'Cubi-style which will be extremely difficult and extremely dangerous.  Far easier to scare Josh into doing what he's told.
If it did come to mind-editing, Jakob would probably palm the job off onto Daryil (since he's 4200 and far more experienced).  That alone would be a terrible threat since Daryil would probably make his own alterations too just for fun.  Joshua might come away believing that he had three parents or that his mother was an onion or something.

QuoteOn a more artistic crit, the inclusion of scenery elements doesn't really help out as much as one would probably want. that first panel in particular. The way things are arranged, it makes the area seem more empty and barren than anything. Like a bachelor's apartment where they only have a couch and a tv propped up on some milkcartons. Then again that may be the intent.
I'm fairly conscious of that.  Suggestions for improving it would be quite welcome, actually.
Having said that, this room was originally supposed to be a tool store or something.  The base is actually very, very big and only has about four people regularly staying there.  So I'm not complaining about the sparseness too much.  Other locations will require more attention to detail, though.

Quote...I still say snugglings are in order. That chair with the daisies isn't helping anyones case. :U
Dammit, I was going to say something about the Comfy Chair in the strip description.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 12, 2008, 01:27:58 PM
At first I thought the wing tentacles in the fourth frame were rope and that our friend here was being tied down to the daisy chair (though given how he's incapacitated and under control, that wouldn't be necessary) which have just added fuel to the fire.
It was to haul him into the chair, just in case that's unclear.  Ren's rendition of the tentacles leaves them a bit more stringy than Amber's would, maybe something we should think about next time they appear.

Amber Williams

The thing I would recommend for working out size and space in rooms is a bit of work but seems to work well. Making a floor layout of the place works wonders since it lets you always check to see if there was a particular table here or a shelf there and about how far apart they are.

As lame as it sounds, I think I have used my Sims 2 game for building floorplans of buildings as reference than actually playing the game. :U

But I find it works wonders in keeping things consistant and lets you get a bit of a feel for the size in advance, that way when you space things in the actual comic, you have a point of reference so to speak.  But then again I dont know the dimensions of the base and whatnot.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 12, 2008, 01:50:41 PM
The thing I would recommend for working out size and space in rooms is a bit of work but seems to work well. Making a floor layout of the place works wonders since it lets you always check to see if there was a particular table here or a shelf there and about how far apart they are.
Good idea.  I'll consider that approach for future scenes.  It would probably do me good to draw up some kind of map of the base, though there are... problems with that which will come up in due course.

QuoteAs lame as it sounds, I think I have used my Sims 2 game for building floorplans of buildings as reference than actually playing the game. :U
Heh.  One of the things I am intending to do - when we get to the inner sanctum a few chapters later - is model it in Doom or Duke Nukem 3D.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 12, 2008, 01:43:51 PM
Quote...I still say snugglings are in order. That chair with the daisies isn't helping anyones case. :U
Dammit, I was going to say something about the Comfy Chair in the strip description.

Biggles! Bring out... the Comfy Chair!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Amber Williams

Either way.. who knows Amber, maybe given that shonen-ai is kinda evil it will be part of the ritual. :P

I blame the severe lack of females at this camp. Its guy-a-palooza up at the arctic. :U

Sunblink

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 12, 2008, 09:32:09 PM
Either way.. who knows Amber, maybe given that shonen-ai is kinda evil it will be part of the ritual. :P

I blame the severe lack of females at this camp. Its guy-a-palooza up at the arctic. :U

BUT THEN KEATON'S BOOBS COME TO SAVE THE DAY. :U

Oh, and some other characters.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 12, 2008, 10:37:40 PM

Oh, and some other characters.

But drawing shonen ai with Keatons boobs is just going to make things very awkward.

Then again...
*thinks*

...nope. Still awkward. :B

Sunblink

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 12, 2008, 10:55:00 PM
But drawing shonen ai with Keatons boobs is just going to make things very awkward.

Oh god I needed to literally slap my hand to keep myself from saying something dreadful and not-PG. :B Still, I lol'd hard. I would have drawn that just for the challenge if it wasn't completely impossible without being disturbing.

*tap dances out of the topic*

LionHeart

Quote from: Jairus on December 12, 2008, 02:10:07 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 12, 2008, 01:43:51 PM

Biggles! Bring out... the Comfy Chair!
And you will stay there until lunchtime, with only a cup of coffee at eleven!
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 12, 2008, 11:11:57 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on December 12, 2008, 10:55:00 PM

Oh god I needed to literally slap my hand to keep myself from saying something dreadful and not-PG. :B Still, I lol'd hard. I would have drawn that just for the challenge if it wasn't completely impossible without being disturbing.

*tap dances out of the topic*

This isn't Lost Lake. You're welcome to be non-PG.

... if Tapewolf says so, anyway. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 12, 2008, 09:32:09 PM
There's a reason for that, and it's I suck at creating female characters.  There are only about five persistent female characters in the whole damn thing.  Actually, it might be an interesting exercise to tally up the whole cast and see.  Maybe I should change the sex of some minor characters to help...

That said, it isn't as bad as it would be in an Arctic base on Earth.  Since most of the characters at the base can teleport there is little to stop them going off on a break if life gets too dull.  There's also another factor related to the base itself that I won't go into yet and the fact that the Arctic base is a relatively new thing (this would also be a good excuse for the 'sparse look').  And this tale shall also be told.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 12, 2008, 10:37:40 PM
I was hoping to cameo all of Keaton, not just her boobs  :<

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 13, 2008, 04:15:33 AM
This isn't Lost Lake. You're welcome to be non-PG.
... if Tapewolf says so, anyway. ;-]
Actually it seems to be Ren's forum now.  Anyway, the comic itself is Web-14 so I'd grant a sensible amount of leeway.