10/31/08 [Abel 2 #34] - OoOoOo... I'm the ghost of the whiny dumbasses

Started by Lowde, October 31, 2008, 12:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on October 31, 2008, 06:16:53 AM
My gut feeling is dream sequence.  However, I also see another (remote) possibility.  Since cubi can capture souls, perhaps Abel accidentally stole Devin's soul just before he died.  :rolleyes
Soul trapping isn't an innate ability.  As I understand it from what Amber's said, it is just a spell that anyone can cast if they have the requisite skills.

Quote from: Tycoon on October 31, 2008, 06:18:27 AM
"Ceci n'est pas une Devin"
Does that mean "is not" or "doesn't like"?  I always get them confused.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2008, 05:23:49 AMI'm starting to wonder whether he is a projection or Fa'Lina manipulating Abel's dreams.  She or the Doctor would probably not have let him go if he was on the verge of a total nervous breakdown.

If Devin appeared while Ink was testing him, Abel would be more able to brush it off as a test.

If Devin appears after Abel is convinced that the testing is over, he'd be less able to dismiss it, making it more likely that such a test would reveal the sort of information that Ink/Fa'Lina wants.

Not sure what that means, but I think it supports what you're saying.

Quote from: Naldru on October 31, 2008, 06:16:53 AMMy gut feeling is dream sequence.  However, I also see another (remote) possibility.  Since cubi can capture souls, perhaps Abel accidentally stole Devin's soul just before he died.  :rolleyes

More or less the ``Man with Two Brains'' idea.  If not the soul, then perhaps the mind.  Short of a definitive statement from Amber (which is probably coming in succeeding strips), I couldn't say.

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2008, 06:19:30 AMDoes that mean "is not" or "doesn't like"?  I always get them confused.

This is not a pipe.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Ted Schiller

"Tonight you will be visited by three ghosts."

With regards,
Ted

Lucheek

Kipiru

From tragedy to comedy, only in DMFA! Great stuff Amber! I was wondering when Abel was going to crack.

Jigsaw Forte

My gut feeling is dream sequence.  However, I also see another (remote) possibility.  Since cubi can capture souls, perhaps Abel accidentally stole Devin's soul just before he died.  :rolleyes

You think that would require a certain amount of effort... I mean, stealing a folk's soul seems... kinda important / permanent, y'know?

Madmann135

The brain is a strange thing.  I'm voting on what Devin-Ghost said and sticking with Abel's mind trying to figure out a way to help aleaviate the stress by showing a recent non stressful immage. 

In all consideration Devin is a logical choice.  The last time we saw Devin he was protecting Abel (being a bit of a jerk but protecting Abel none the less).  Even after Devin was mortally injured Abel was working up the courage to perform healing magic to save Devin's life.
Abel's dad would be a horrorable choice because Abel doesn't know who his father really is but he does know that his biological father is a(n) (insert your appropiate insult). 
Abel's mom is not the best of choices because last time he saw her he thinks it was his fault that she got hurt.  Kira would be a weird choice because she was his teacher.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Alondro

I think Devin wasn't dead.  He was only mostly dead!  Which means he was a lil alive! 

So it was as simple as a quick visit to Miracle Max's place.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

rt

Bah, I go for it's all a dream since the beginning and someone is waking up in the shower

I hope Sble spends those points on a pizza party, that sounds very tastey at the momment .. mmmm piizzza.

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Cogidubnus

He looks pretty creepy in panel two. I think it's the pinpoint eyes.

terrycloth

Well, if you're going to accidentally steal a soul, the point of death is the most likely time for it to happen.

And it's not necessarily *permanent*. Aaryana was storing them in jars, after all.

I think my official prediction is going to have to be 'Devin resurrected as an undead time-traveling back from the future, semitransparent because time travel only makes an illusionary projection unless you possess someone's body, like in Quantum Leap'.

(we're not allowed to gloat anyway, so there's no point picking something likely)

Tapewolf

Quote from: terrycloth on October 31, 2008, 01:35:28 PM
(we're not allowed to gloat anyway, so there's no point picking something likely)
All you need is a good network of shills.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2008, 01:36:49 PM
Quote from: terrycloth on October 31, 2008, 01:35:28 PM
All you need is a good network of shills.

Or, in terry's case, a good portion of pills. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sid

Of course, iTunes picked the moment I visit the comic to shuffle to Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

And I somehow remembered this classic Due South moment:
Benton Fraser: *stops and looks in the back seat where his father's ghost is sitting*
Fraser Sr.: Hello, son.
Benton Fraser: *warily* Hello, Dad. How are you?
Fraser Sr.: I'm dead, son. Other than that, do you mean?
Benton Fraser: No, that's what I was asking.
Fraser Sr.: Oh, that's good. Never be ashamed to ask a stupid question, son.
:boogie

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2008, 06:19:30 AM
Soul trapping isn't an innate ability.  As I understand it from what Amber's said, it is just a spell that anyone can cast if they have the requisite skills.

So, what do cubi (or anyone else for that matter) do with stolen souls? Sure, storage in gems, jars or whatever until you're ready for them, but then what?

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: The Cars - Shake It Up (Loafer's Fatass Radio Show)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Anri

Dagardo

icarus

fyi, those immediately thinking he's a magically transparent undead?

devin's eyes have always been yellow. check back.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

superluser

Quote from: icarus on November 01, 2008, 03:06:58 AMfyi, those immediately thinking he's a magically transparent undead?

devin's eyes have always been yellow. check back.

Have they always been 25 times brighter than the whites of his eyes?

I'll save you the trouble of looking: no.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

LionHeart

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 31, 2008, 11:14:11 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2008, 06:19:30 AM

So, what do cubi (or anyone else for that matter) do with stolen souls? Sure, storage in gems, jars or whatever until you're ready for them, but then what?
Powering desk lamps seems to be a popular choice...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 31, 2008, 11:14:11 PM

I don't know the full extent of what they can do with them.  The most infamous one is consuming them to increase their powers and lifespan.  From what Abel says they can also be used to enchant objects a'la Morrowind.
When the topic came up at AC, Amber commented that there are beneficial uses for doing this kind of thing (i.e. beneficial to the person being soul-filched), but you don't often hear about them.

Emerauld Drathmir

Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 01, 2008, 08:33:10 AM
When the topic came up at AC, Amber commented that there are beneficial uses for doing this kind of thing (i.e. beneficial to the person being soul-filched), but you don't often hear about them.

The first benefit that comes to mind is not being dead after your allotted three score and ten is up, for a start.

Less of a benefit for most Creatures, but still...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 01, 2008, 08:49:51 AM
The first benefit that comes to mind is not being dead after your allotted three score and ten is up, for a start.  Less of a benefit for most Creatures, but still...

I actually started writing Future History to explore these ideas.  The problem with stealing the souls of the dead with intent to resurrect them is that you need to have a body to put them in.  Joshua and Dorcan are one approach - otherwise, you may have to kick someone else out of their body.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 01, 2008, 08:54:13 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 01, 2008, 08:49:51 AM
The first benefit that comes to mind is not being dead after your allotted three score and ten is up, for a start.  Less of a benefit for most Creatures, but still...

I actually started writing Future History to explore these ideas.  The problem with stealing the souls of the dead with intent to resurrect them is that you need to have a body to put them in.  Joshua and Dorcan are one approach - otherwise, you may have to kick someone else out of their body.

True, but if you're not intending on putting the free soul into a body, it's a lot easier.

Also there's the possibility of, uh, I guess "harvesting" would be the correct word, of the elderly. Once their bodies start to fail, it starts becoming more attractive to be rid of them...