Guess I'll at least say hi

Started by Dekari, October 23, 2008, 10:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekari

I think I've lurked long enough, time to pop up and say hi.

This may be my only post here or it may not...haven't decided yet.  Maybe I'll post some of my writings and see if I can't get some creative feed back.  Actually, I'd even settle for a rude, "You suck".  Yeah, I'll probably do that eventually.  But the real reason I came to these forums is I wanted to see if I could get approval and some info for a project I may or may not start....as if I don't already have enough as it is.  I was looking to get approval from Amber who does the Dan and Mab comic but haven't thought of a way to go about doing it.....though I guess I have now.

Basically I some how found my way to her comic about 2 months ago and at the time I wasn't much of a fan of the furry/anthropomorphic art style, but after about a week or two, it kind of grew on me.  After reading through the archives and everything else, I of course started liking it even more.  The art work, the humor, the characters, the story (and the sometimes apparent lack of)....it was all something I could get into.

But with all things that I feel that way about, my mind started to wander and create ideas like it tends to do all too often.  It started with just a simple character idea....which slowly became more complex.  Eventually to help with the complexity of the character, a background story formed.  "But wait," my mind thought, "we can't have a background story without a continuing story line."  And that's where it got out of hand.  Now, a week and a half after the original character idea, I have in my mind what could be a 30 or so page side story.

So yeah, this probably wasn't the best way to go about trying to ask for permission to do this, but I never like doing something based off someone else's work unless I have their full consent.  Worst case she says no, the idea gets scraped and never to see the light of day, and I may actually go back to my original works that I have avoided working on for the past 3 years.

Ok, you all may now attack as you see fit.
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

techmaster-glitch

:giggle
I think what you have in mind would be classified as "fan fiction". All bets are usually off, as so long as you credit the original artist, you've got free reign. We've even got a home for what you've got: the Tower of Art board.

By the way, welcome to the forums, organic life-form >:3

Darkmoon

Yeah, it probably a good idea to PM her privately about this. Otherwise, there's no guarantee she'll even see this.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Dekari

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 23, 2008, 11:10:31 PM
:giggle
I think what you have in mind would be classified as "fan fiction". All bets are usually off, as so long as you credit the original artist, you've got free reign.

Better to cover all the bases than get jacked in the end, right?
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

llearch n'n'daCorna

Amber has specifically stated, as long as you make no money off it, you can do what you like.

It's nice to ask, though. And as Darkmoon says, a PM would be better...

Oh, and welcome to the forums, lurker. I'll presume you've already found all the warnings, so we'll just take those as read.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lysander

Hope everything turns out well. My 1st experience with anthro was DMFA as well. I never cared much for it before, but now enjoy it very much. Everything I draw and write about is furry now. Although also didn't really draw or write anything before coming here... Anywho, this one welcomes thee to this interesting place.    :januscat
TytajLucheek