Chessplayers!!!!

Started by Corgatha Taldorthar, September 07, 2008, 03:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

With all the discussion of fancy shmancy computer games out there, I was wondering if anyone liked to play the ULTIMATE classic, chess. (I suppose checkers is older than chess, but I can't beat my brother at it......... You know what, this side thought is ending now).

Anyway, this is kinda an open invite to anyone who would be interested in playing me, or really anyone else they might meet on this site,  either real time over some server, or through correspondance. I'm roughly a 1750 USCF player, if that makes sense to you. 
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

No sense at all.

Haven't played for years, not since I played my sister at it. Got her in Scholars Mate. Set up again, got her again. Set up again, got her again. Set up again, showed her how it worked. Then got her again.

She never played chess with me again. I have no idea why... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dagardo

Probably cause you kept beating her, if you're being serious.

VSMIT

I'd like to try my hand at a game with you.  We just need to figure out how to do it.

@Dagardo: Sarcasm, my friend.

Dagardo

yeah sorry I was brain dead :U and it just cleared up. thanks for waking my brain up. :)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dagardo on September 07, 2008, 05:27:38 PM
Probably cause you kept beating her, if you're being serious.

There's an attached emoticon for a reason. *cough*

Dagardo

Again I apologize, i wasn't paying much attention, and honestly I'm not real sure what ;-] means... I feel like I'm being a pain :cry

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: VSMIT on September 07, 2008, 05:36:07 PM
I'd like to try my hand at a game with you.  We just need to figure out how to do it.

@Dagardo: Sarcasm, my friend.

Hmmm, I have a few ideas. I spend most of my time at school, where I can get limited internet access for free, so I can't always load certain programs onto their comps. That being said, I can play on either www.chess.com (If you like correspondance chess) or yahoo.com if you have an account there. MSN has a chess program if you'd be willing to add me to a contact list, but I'm not 100% sure I can run that on a school computer.

Of course, I'm perfectly willing to shout moves back and forth along a thread, but I've since noticed that not too many people seem to know notation systems, or are willing to keep a set-up board near their computer for days at a time to play like that.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

VSMIT

I'd be ok with just shouting moves back and forth, especially since I use a Mac and don't think that the MSN chess will work.  Or we could shout the moves back and forth via MSN.  Whichever you prefer.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm game with that. Would it be ok if I shouted in algebriac? And would you rather take white or black? I'm challenging, so you should get the pick of colors.

VSMIT

That's fine with me, I'll likely do the same.  I'll take Black, if that's alright with you.

Now to go find a chessboard...

llearch n'n'daCorna

e2-e4 ;-]

More seriously, I'd be willing to do correspondence; I'm usully too busy to play a full game, but can find a few minutes here and there to look and think. And I'd be happy to find a chessboard and set it up...

VSMIT

Mac OSX comes with a chess game, and you can save games.  So I think I'll do it that way.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Think we should start a new thread or just play off of this one?

P.S. I'm willing to play both of you in seperate games. What color would you like Illearch? (I spelled that right I hope)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Play in this one, methinks. Or via pm, instead; if you're playing in public, expect other people to chip in with comments. And possibly help.

Although the quality of said help is unlikely to be high... ;-]

I would have thought my colour would be obvious, Corgatha. Given what colour is on e2... ;-] And no, you didn't spell it right; there's no I at the front. Not that anyone else does any better, mind. *grin*

Quote from: Dagardo on September 07, 2008, 06:57:37 PM
Again I apologize, i wasn't paying much attention, and honestly I'm not real sure what ;-] means... I feel like I'm being a pain :cry

You're not being a pain. Nothing to apologise for, really. An emoticon is the ";-]" construct, or the :cry item. Basically, a small ascii or graphical picture to add emphasis or emotion to an otherwise bland textual experience.

Make sense?

Corgatha Taldorthar

Allright. Pending any objections, we're gonna try playing in this thread.

And please, if you feel the urge to help, at *least* do it by pm. Shouting in public during a chessgame is disgraceful.

VSMIT: d2-d4

llearch n'n'daCorna c7-c5

VSMIT

Corgatha Taldorthar

VSMIT

llearch n'n'daCorna

e2-e4 c7-c5
d2-d3

VSMIT

Waitaminute.  3 moves, llearch?

Corgatha Taldorthar

He's simply recording all previous moves made instead of simply stating his last move.

VSMIT, Ng1-f3
Posted by: llearch n'n'daCorna 
e2-e4 c7-c5
d2-d3, d7-d6

VSMIT

Oh gah.  I feel stupid now.

e7-e5.

Corgatha Taldorthar

VSMIT

d2-d4,  g7-g6
e2-e4,  a7-a5
Ng1-f3,  e7-e5
Nf3Xe5,  a7-a6

llearch n'n'daCorna

e2-e4, c7-c5
d2-d3, d7-d6
f2-f3

Corgatha Taldorthar

VSMIT: Not sure how to respond to your move. If you moved the pawn from a7-a5, it is no longer on a7 to move to a6.........

llearch n'n'daCorna
e2-e4, c7-c5
d2-d3, d7-d6
f2-f3, Nb8-c6

llearch n'n'daCorna

Corgatha Taldorthar

llearch n'n'daCorna
e2-e4, c7-c5
d2-d3, d7-d6
f2-f3, Nb8-c6
c2-c3,Ng8-f6

VSMIT

Sorry about that.

Actually b7-b6.