08/29/08 [Abel 2 #28] Emotional or Rational?

Started by VSMIT, August 28, 2008, 10:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

'I removed your ability to feel emotions... I will return them when you desire them back'

Anyone see the potentially problem here?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Zedd

No wonder werid vibes around that give me shivers

SpottedKitty

ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Goatmon

Quote from: MT Hazard on August 29, 2008, 01:51:43 PM
'I removed your ability to feel emotions... I will return them when you desire them back'

Anyone see the potentially problem here?

Not really.  Desire only comes from emotion to an extent.

He's probably going to want them back soon enough.  

Lucheek

Fa'Lina is officially uber quadruble major double admiral powerful.

Seriously. I bet she could make the world begin spinning in the opposite direction if she feeled so inclined.

And-

Now I can finnaly say I'm gay for Abel! Ever as a girl, He's sooooo preeettty

Goatmon

Also, Amber, I just saw Rejected Abel post 3, and it made my freaking day.

I love you forever for this.   :)

Naldru

Curiosity is a desire to know something.  Desire is an emotion.  If he truly had no emotion, he wouldn't be curious as to what had happened to him.  As I mentioned before, what she has done seems to be similar to some drugs used in pharmopsychology.  In an anxiety attack, the anxieties actually create more anxieties in a positive feedback loop.  (Think of it as a massive psychic feedback squeal.  And think what that would do to mind readers.)  She's suppressed the positive feedback to get rid of the squeal so that Abel can hear his own thoughts.  Standard practice would then be to use this opportunity to talk to the patient and try to get him into a state where he avoids future anxiety attacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

terrycloth

There's emotional desire (which is real desire) and rational desire, which is kind of 'Until you decide that it would be best if you had them back.'

Not that screwing with your emotions (by removing them or whatever) necessarily makes your decisions totally rational. It's one of the scary mind-control scenarios -- you take away someone's disgust and fear at what you're doing to them, and they let you abuse them horribly.

Still, it's a good cure for a panic attack, like you said.

Jairus

Quote from: terrycloth on August 29, 2008, 06:08:15 PM
There's emotional desire (which is real desire) and rational desire, which is kind of 'Until you decide that it would be best if you had them back.'

Not that screwing with your emotions (by removing them or whatever) necessarily makes your decisions totally rational. It's one of the scary mind-control scenarios -- you take away someone's disgust and fear at what you're doing to them, and they let you abuse them horribly.

Still, it's a good cure for a panic attack, like you said.
And I doubt that Fa'Lina is one to use this skill lightly. It's terrifyingly easy to abuse, but Fa'Lina doesn't strike me as the kind to just willy-nilly prevent people from tapping into their full emotions.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

rt

Ok, now that is power. And asking "May I have my emotions back, please", somehow doesn't seem a nice way to ask for such a thing.

And abel non wallpaper attempt 3  :mwaha. It would be interesting to see what would be done if Amber realesed the individual coloured characters like this.

Jairus

Quote from: rt on August 29, 2008, 07:05:36 PM
And abel non wallpaper attempt 3  :mwaha. It would be interesting to see what would be done if Amber realesed the individual coloured characters like this.
Somehow, I envision the rest of the male cast members in Speedos in this concept, since Abel is the only real shapeshifter currently (hiding your headwings does not count, and Azlan has yet shown that he shapeshifts... of course he can, but he hasn't yet). And that's really freaky.

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: Jairus on August 29, 2008, 07:08:06 PM
Somehow, I envision the rest of the male cast members in Speedos in this concept, since Abel is the only real shapeshifter currently (hiding your headwings does not count, and Azlan has yet shown that he shapeshifts... of course he can, but he hasn't yet). And that's really freaky.

Jai, please don't ever bring that disturbing image up again, I already had a freaky bizarro gender twist mind screw mental image already anyway, and that didn't help recover from it!

Jairus

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on August 29, 2008, 08:32:14 PM

Jai, please don't ever bring that disturbing image up again, I already had a freaky bizarro gender twist mind screw mental image already anyway, and that didn't help recover from it!

Heeheeheeheehee! Sorry, evil cackle, slipped out somehow.
You're welcome.

Lena

Your brain went somewhere very freaky, there. I just thought of the guys reacting in horror to Abel's "outfit", or at worst cross-dressed with Abel pushing the limits. Now that image you inspired is trying to work its way into my brain.

Jairus

Quote from: Lena on August 29, 2008, 09:41:45 PM
Your brain went somewhere very freaky, there. I just thought of the guys reacting in horror to Abel's "outfit", or at worst cross-dressed with Abel pushing the limits. Now that image you inspired is trying to work its way into my brain.

If you've looked at my thread over in the Tower of Art, you can get a pretty good idea of the weird places my mind goes.

Actually, I thought of something a bit ago, and it's a bit weird but here it is: if Cubi feed off of emotions, wouldn't removing/blocking someone's emotions basically rob them of a food source? Obviously Fa'Lina is powerful enough that not being able to gather nourishment off of Abel is not a problem, and also simply blocking one person is not enough to starve a Cubi, but I just thought that was interesting.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Jairus on August 29, 2008, 09:51:21 PM
Actually, I thought of something a bit ago, and it's a bit weird but here it is: if Cubi feed off of emotions, wouldn't removing/blocking someone's emotions basically rob them of a food source? Obviously Fa'Lina is powerful enough that not being able to gather nourishment off of Abel is not a problem, and also simply blocking one person is not enough to starve a Cubi, but I just thought that was interesting.

Well keep in mind that the ability to gain energy from emotion doesnt remove a Cubi's ability to eat normal foods.   So really a Cubi could survive on one or the other.  Also, the amount of energy one needs to exert to block anothers emotion is quite great and it would be likely the blocker themselves would lose energy before the blockee would beimpaired.  Obviously not an issue for Fa'Lina granted.

One of the worst ways to kill a Cubi would be to bury them alive or wall them away, where they would have no emotions nor food to survive on and thus would slowly and painfully waste away.  There have been a few exceptions, but they are very few and the situation rather unique.

As for what Fa'Lina did, its very temporary and not something she particularly likes doing.  But she felt it was a better option than the other three options she could have done. (not to mention one of the shorter ones to draw rather than me draw yet another 5 pages of Abel crying and having an emotional breakdown)

Angel

.... If only that ability could be used on every politician, religious extremist, would-be terrorist, arguing couple...

Yeah, the world needs that ability. Of course, having some control over it would be nice.

(sees the rejected pose) :eek

I....I can't look away...I want to, but I can't...
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 29, 2008, 10:40:04 PM
Quote from: Jairus on August 29, 2008, 09:51:21 PM

Well keep in mind that the ability to gain energy from emotion doesnt remove a Cubi's ability to eat normal foods.   So really a Cubi could survive on one or the other.  Also, the amount of energy one needs to exert to block anothers emotion is quite great and it would be likely the blocker themselves would lose energy before the blockee would beimpaired.  Obviously not an issue for Fa'Lina granted.
I thought as much. Still, it's an interesting power.

One of the worst ways to kill a Cubi would be to bury them alive or wall them away, where they would have no emotions nor food to survive on and thus would slowly and painfully waste away.  There have been a few exceptions, but they are very few and the situation rather unique.
Ooh, I like the way you think.

As for what Fa'Lina did, its very temporary and not something she particularly likes doing.  But she felt it was a better option than the other three options she could have done. (not to mention one of the shorter ones to draw rather than me draw yet another 5 pages of Abel crying and having an emotional breakdown)
So this page was a time-saving option that also introduced a new power of Fa'Lina's and gave us a deeper understanding of who she is and what she is capable of?
No complaints from me. Bravo, Mrs. Williams.

Stygian

This... is... I... there... words... describe...

SEX. INCARNATE.

That image numbed even the current rage and spite of Fa'Lina I was feeling. And that's something.

Yugo

I'm already gay for Abel! WRY! Well, the other male characters too, but that's not the point!
I think my mind just broke...  :erk
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: Yugo on August 30, 2008, 12:25:12 AM
I'm already gay for Abel! WRY! Well, the other male characters too, but that's not the point!

Heh, the more people that provide comments like this, I think the more Amber will feel "Mission Accomplished" Well done Amber, this is already my favorite thread cause of the mindscrew responses.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Yugo on August 30, 2008, 12:25:12 AM

Abel as a male?   or as a female....?  ........Answer YES...Please...

PBH

Naldru

Actually, we have seen Azlan in a bikini.

And there is also this image, suitable for framing or blackmail.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Jairus

Quote from: Naldru on August 30, 2008, 04:19:55 PM

Actually, we have seen Azlan in a bikini.

And there is also this image, suitable for framing or blackmail.

Oh, darn, I'd forgotten about those. Of course, the question here is why does Neni's outfit not include a top...

Naldru

Quote from: Jairus on August 30, 2008, 04:28:43 PM
Oh, darn, I'd forgotten about those. Of course, the question here is why does Neni's outfit not include a top...
I don't think Neni bought it for herself to wear.  She purchased it for Azlan to wear.  Remember when Neni dressed Azlan in Goth.

Jairus

Quote from: Naldru on August 30, 2008, 04:37:07 PM
Quote from: Jairus on August 30, 2008, 04:28:43 PM
I don't think Neni bought it for herself to wear.  She purchased it for Azlan to wear.  Remember when Neni dressed Azlan in Goth.
Ah... I didn't think of that possibility. Good point.

Mao

Wow, that was two serious kinds of uncomfortable for me: 

Emotions are a part of us, much the same as our hands and fingers so, to cut someone off from them is a very disconcerting thought!  Beyond that, feelings and thoughts are intertwined, to block that bond is very very upsetting to me, even conceptionally.

Though the rejected able pose is a very fine quality image.... I think I now have to join the gay for able club.. .only.. he's a chick right now.. but cubi are shape shifters... but he's hot right now.... but I know that he's really a guy.... but.... but... I hate Amber right now.  Arrgh.. this is why I hate gender bender manga/anime.

Jairus

Quote from: Mowser on August 30, 2008, 06:48:45 PM
Emotions are a part of us, much the same as our hands and fingers so, to cut someone off from them is a very disconcerting thought!  Beyond that, feelings and thoughts are intertwined, to block that bond is very very upsetting to me, even conceptionally.
That might have been part of the point. I think that once Abel gets his emotions back he's going to realize how powerful Fa'Lina is... and that it's probably not a good idea to cross her.

Quote from: Mowser
Though the rejected able pose is a very fine quality image.... I think I now have to join the gay for able club.. .only.. he's a chick right now.. but cubi are shape shifters... but he's hot right now.... but I know that he's really a guy.... but.... but... I hate Amber right now.  Arrgh.. this is why I hate gender bender manga/anime.
Or you could just join the Gay for Abel camp permanently.