the adder

Started by Magnus_Adder, August 21, 2008, 12:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Magnus_Adder

OK guys you are starting to scare jed. *holds up puppet* right jed? 

*talks out the side of his mouth* heck no fool, lets set something on fire...

fires pretty. mwhahaha!..

Jairus

Quote from: Magnus_Adder on August 22, 2008, 12:30:55 AM
OK guys you are starting to scare jed. *holds up puppet* right jed? 

*talks out the side of his mouth* heck no fool, lets set something on fire...

fires pretty. mwhahaha!..

He's catching on!

Just a warning, you can get in trouble for Role-Playing outside of the Role-Playing Forum. Of course, since we are tied to DMFA, I have to imagine that puppets would be allowed... or at least tolerated. I don't know.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You can also get in trouble for Persistent Stupidity Whilst Not Being A Troll, otherwise known as rule ten... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Ah, I forgot to mention that one! Thanks for reminding me, Boxy!

Tapewolf

Anyway, assuming the adder hasn't been scared off, welcome to the forums.  Remember to read and follow the rules, don't annoy the administrators and so on and so forth.  This should all be common sense, but there has been a depressing trend for people not to do this lately.  Oh, and have fun.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cogidubnus

This is a lovely thread. Makes me think of Blackadder. The fourth was the funniest, I think, but the third and second had their moments...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. I thought one and two were much better than four, myself.

By the fourth, they had too many comics and not enough plot...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Magnus_Adder

i like the one that took place in WWI or was it 2... hard to catch episodes of anything good when you live in the states, hence why i have the internet

Jairus

Hey, if it weren't for the internet I never would have learned about Doctor Who. But I still would have had Monty Python. But I wouldn't have the Doctor... now I'm getting weird.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Magnus_Adder on August 22, 2008, 10:36:40 PM
i like the one that took place in WWI or was it 2... hard to catch episodes of anything good when you live in the states, hence why i have the internet

That was series 4.  There was also a present-day special made for one of the exhibits in the Millennium Dome - this was released on DVD in the US or something.  Anyway, my Dad managed to snag it from somewhere.

The original series was in the 1300s.  It had Brian Blessed as the King (which I thought he did awesomely) and took the mick out of Shakespeare a lot.  Maybe it's just my fascination with the medieval, but to this day I think it's the best series and it's the only one I bothered to get when they came out on DVD.
I think part of its charm was that in the first series, he had a degree of power at his disposal - being a prince - whereas in the follow-ups he was a lackey.  Baldrick knew what he was doing as well, unlike in the followups.  They also had a much bigger budget.  I'm not completely sure, but I think it was recorded on 2" Quad rather than the cheaper (but slightly inferior) Umatic and Betacam systems used later on.

The second series was set in the Elizabethan era, in the 1500s (I should know this but I've forgotten).  It did a few interesting things but TBH I found it mostly forgettable.

The third series was set around the time of the French Revolution.  I found it a lot more entertaining than the second series, but it still lacked something from the first one.  It has the distinction of being the only series where he doesn't die at the end.  (The 4th is inconclusive, but that's the implication)

**EDIT - oops, hit 'submit' instead of 'preview' - ***

The forth series was set in the trenches of WW1.  It was okay, but not stunning.
There was also another special, called "Blackadder's Christmas Carol" which was set in between the third and fourth, during Victoria's reign.  It was pretty cool, and if you get the chance, watch it.

Blackadder: "So what you're saying, is that if I change my ways and become evil, my descendants will rule the universe?"
Ghost of Christmas Future: "No.. no... I really must be going..."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E