[Costuming] Cyborg updates power pack mounted... testing all extremities

Started by thegayhare, August 17, 2008, 12:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Hi all

I'm currently working on a cyborg bunny pirate costume and I'm working on the cyborg left arm.  I was orriginaly planing on painting it black but now I'm not so sure so I felt I might ask you folks what you think. 

Should I go with a black coloration or should I Go with a more classic silver?

I should have some pics of the unpainted pieces in a little bit

Jairus

Well, it all depends on what kind of cyborg pirate bunny you want to be. Do you want the parts to mesh, or do you want to look like some horrible Frankensteinian creation of mad science?

Personally, ever since Fullmetal Alchemist I've kind of fallen in love with a gunmetal gray color for prosthetics of that nature.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

llearch n'n'daCorna

Girl Genius rocks. I'd say go for that. ;-]

But, as Jubblies says, it depends on what sort of look you want to go for.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Well the cyborg arm is going to rather big and clunky.  ending in a large pincer.  (I'm talking to security about allowing me interchangable weapon hands I'm thinking at least a buzzsaw)

I know it's rough right now but I've restricted myself to stuff I've got on hand so far I haven't spent any money on this yet. 

the opposite arm is going to be furred with a pair of black fingerless gloves on the hand and I'm thinking of geting some elbowpads  just to give it a semi armored look

just for referancce the cyborg will be wearing a black steel pot helmet and have massive facial reconstruction (both eyes and his mouth) as well as a metal ear  I want all the cyborge parts to match and I was going to make them black because of the helmet but I'm not sure anymore

thegayhare

I've done some upgrades to the arm... I've added an elbow joint... Basicly a 3 liter water jug (still building on a budget.  as well as an elestic band in the shoulder peice.  It streaches from inside the shoulder around my neck.  It keeps the shoulder fairly tight to my body that way. 

I'll start the basic paint job tomorrow, and I'll have some pics for you that evening.  I'm planing on trying to make it look a little weathered,  I figure some light brushes of silver and sponges of brown should work well.   

Zedd

Quote from: thegayhare on August 19, 2008, 12:13:07 AM
I've done some upgrades to the arm... I've added an elbow joint... Basicly a 3 liter water jug (still building on a budget.  as well as an elestic band in the shoulder peice.  It streaches from inside the shoulder around my neck.  It keeps the shoulder fairly tight to my body that way. 

I'll start the basic paint job tomorrow, and I'll have some pics for you that evening.  I'm planing on trying to make it look a little weathered,  I figure some light brushes of silver and sponges of brown should work well.   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec0O6orKGz0&feature=related This will help you abit too

thegayhare

LOL
thanks zedd I've already seen that

But I think my arm will look a lot cooler

thegayhare

unfortunatly the painting work I mention won't be happening today since it's raining here

but anyway you can see my updates

what do you think

Mao

Looks really cool!  I'm trying to picture in my head how it will look once it's painted, but no matter how I think of it, it turns out awesome!   :eager

thegayhare

Quote from: Mowser on August 19, 2008, 12:16:37 PM
Looks really cool!  I'm trying to picture in my head how it will look once it's painted, but no matter how I think of it, it turns out awesome!   :eager

thanks

lately I've been debating weither or not to paint the fore arm piece (the big black tube) or wait untill I'm finished working on it.  I still have alot of work to do to make the pincer.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I would wait.

If you paint it now, chances are you'll scratch the paint while working on it...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

What color you painting them again?

thegayhare

Bugger, bugger, bugger

I ran out of paint about 3/4ths of the way through...  I should have known better then to use an old open can.  I need to pic up a new can of paint

Zedd
It's going to be gray  I'm planning on making it a little banged up too  but I'm not sure how that'll work.  I'll do a test paint on a spare peice before I weather it

thegayhare

Well hi all
This first bit doesn't actually have anything to do with the cyborg it seemed silly to start a new thread just for it

It's a hat I made based on the ones worn by Ban and Ho in Bleach
I decided to uses a white baseball cap rather then a red one because I felt it would look better.

and now for the cyborg question.  after working on my hat I started to doubt my plans for the cyborgs helet.  It's a black steel pot and orriginaly I was goign to have just my pirate flag on the front.  but on second thought I felt something like this might look better.

Which do you think looks better?

I'm planning to use both the skull and pirate on my arm

thegayhare

Well I've started the base paint and started work on the pincer arm

I've got some detailing and weathering to do.

I ment to go with a less shiny paint, and thought I had.  But when I got home I had silver

Oh well

Jairus

Wow, that's looking great! And I see you've screwed on the hinges for the pincer too. Neat.

thegayhare

Quote from: Jairus on August 23, 2008, 12:04:35 AM
Wow, that's looking great! And I see you've screwed on the hinges for the pincer too. Neat.

Yep and the eylets you see there are connected to a cross piece inside the tube that works as a grip.  they are also where I'll attach the springs or elastic that will let the pincer open.

It's odd though now that I 've seen it I kinda like the contrast of silver to black I have goign there I'm tempted to not paint the forearm

Jairus

Quote from: thegayhare on August 23, 2008, 12:16:33 AM
It's odd though now that I 've seen it I kinda like the contrast of silver to black I have goign there I'm tempted to not paint the forearm

I like the contrast too... a little cooler than solid silver.

WhiteFox

Have you figured out anything for covering the inside of the elbow?
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Jack McSlay

I think a more complex painting woudn't hurt. You could add a few numbers and/or stripes to it.

Also, it would look cool if you cut its pieces in half and then glue them back together with a small spacing, this would help giving the impression of a mass-produced cibernetic arm, as these are usually split in at least two or more pieces to be easier assembled/disassembled.

Don't know if you intend for a modern, classic or steampunk styled cybernetic arm, but if it's more torwards modern, I think the arm shoud have a shield atteched to make it look more powerful, with a Gurren-Lagann style shoulder shield not being a bad idea either
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

thegayhare

I'm planning on adding some designs to the paint job no worries there

My first attempt at a pincer didn't turn out like I planned.

I think I'll have to make up something a little lighter, wood seems to be just too heavy

thegayhare

Well here we go.

Today I cut the claws in half, built a slot  as a guide and framed up the claws a bit

It's not as large as the first try but it does seem to work

Jairus

Ooh... cool. That's looking great, and it looks better than your last version.

thegayhare

Thanks
Now I just need to build something to hide the slingshot elastics.   

But man I'm glad this worked I'm not sure what I could have done to buikd a new set

Zedd

Mao

Hehe, I do enjoy Futurama.

TGH this is really coming along nicely man!  This is going to be a sick costume.

thegayhare

Well I'm hopping to get some painting work done tomorrow and I'm hopping to have some more cosmetic work done on the pincer.

But for something more long term I was wondering if you folks might be able to help me pick out a color for the pants.

As a space pirate I figure jeans are right out so I've been looking for an alternitive.  I've come across a site that sells BDU in my size for decent price.  So I was wondering what you folks might suggest for a color.

I was thinking of either going with
Urban Camo (shades of gray and white)
Swat Team black
Navy Blue
or Gray

Which do you folks think would look best on a being from space?

Jairus

I'd go for Urban Camo or Navy Blue, but those are my favorite patterns so they might not work. I'm thinking Urban Camo.

thegayhare

Well I did a little work on my pincer hand today

I added a covering to the sides and I think that realy looks good. I also added some plastic tubbing over the elastics.

I'm not sure when I'll get around to painting I want to shave a little bit from the inner pincer claws so I can add some rubber gripping teeth

My paint scheme is going to be most of the arm is black the claws them self will be silver and I'm thinking of making the tubbing either black to match the arm or white to set it apart

Also I'm still debating the color of the pants

techmaster-glitch

Oooooh, that pincer is -nice- ;)
Just some paint and it will be perfect...