The Cars We Drive

Started by Shadrok, July 30, 2008, 04:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadrok

For a while now I've been without one, well no longer. On Friday I bought a used 98' Monte Carlo. Drives pretty well for a used car too, apart form a slight pull to the right its ok. I think the pull is due to the fact that it need new tires on the front, which I plan to replace ASAP just need to gather a little extra money first. Likely get it taken care of Saturday.

The only other problem is the sun roof, no it doesn't leak it just won't open, so some where further down the line when I have the extra money I'll have that taken care of.

Over all not too bad for a car that starts when you first turn the key, has no problem with power, is paid in full so no car payments, had around 60,000 miles when I bought it, and only cost me $4,500.

*Does the Snoopy happy dance*

*edit*
:blush :doh
I just realised a mistake the car didn't have 60,000 miles on it when I got it but rather 128,000 miles.
Either way it still drives well. Especially since I'm only using it (well for now anyways) to drive the 5 min. trip to work and back.
*/edit*

Out of curiosity what does everyone else drive?

VSMIT

I drive a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta.  It belongs to my dad, but hey, it works.

Only problem is that it costs 50 bucks to get gas for it, even at the station near my house, where prices are usually lower than others (It takes premium...)

Ryudo Lee

I got two machines.

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix.  I got it used from the local GMC place.  It was a demo car they used to show it off.  It actually came from Maryland.  It's a pretty good car, though slightly below average when it comes to fuel economy.  I'm averaging 20 city and 25 highway.  It came with 27,000 miles on it, but the dealer was cool about the warranty.  I've got 5 years or up to 77,000 miles.  I got a great deal on it too.  Only thirteen grand.

And I just recently bought a used 2007 Honda Silverwing.  That's a scooter for those who don't know.  It's a 600cc, so it's rated at 100mph.  The MPG on that is averaging 50 city and 60 highway.  If you have the chance to buy a scooter (or if unlike me you can drive with a clutch, a motorcycle) then get one.  This one is running me seven thousand.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Dannysaysnoo

I ride a bike. Does that count?

Gareeku

At the moment I drive nothing. But 2 weeks tomorrow (on the 14th of August), I will be picking up my BMW 1 series M Sport.

Jairus

Silvery-blue BMW 325i. I think it's an '88 model, but I'm not sure. I used to have a white '99 Mercury Mystique, until I got rear-ended by someone going about 35-40 miles an hour.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Pagan

Monte Carlos, BMWs, Grand Prix? Jeez... makin' my cavalier look all shabby...
'99 Chevrolet Cavalier, white, four-door.
It's a good car, came from a used dealer. There was a bit of transmittion problem, but fixed that. The only other problem is the color, hate white on cars. Alright milage.

During school though, I just take the bus and the train. MARTA for the win.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Jairus

Hey, nothing wrong with buses: I took buses for three and a half years in high school. And I actually forgot to take my driving test and get my provisional license the first time it came up. Had to wait six more months to take the test. On the one hand, my mom was annoyed. On the other hand, waiting so long to get my license meant that I got a discount on my insurance, which was a good thing.

TheGreyRonin

A 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood hearse. Not driving right now due to health issues, though.

Jairus

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on July 30, 2008, 09:08:28 PM
A 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood hearse. Not driving right now due to health issues, though.

On your part or the car's part?

EDIT: My little brother just go some van/truck combo. Apparently it's a classic, but I can't remember the name... I'll ask him when I see him this weekend.

Jer-oh-me

I drive, very very infrequently, a 1986 Jeep CJ7, it's yellow. It leaks, it's a classic. It's stereo doesn't work very well. I have a lot of work to do on it. Its newest part is a solenoid.

Cogidubnus

1992 Toyota Cressida.

It smokes on the occasional start up, but is otherwise nice. Better than my Volvo, which because of a distributor cap being located at the rear of the engine, would not start in the rain.

Sunblink

I can't drive.

But my younger sister, who is fifteen years old, has a learner's permit and enjoys pestering my mom into letting her drive around the neighborhood.

There is something horrifically wrong here.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Yugo

A 2001 Saturn L-Series. "Cobalt Blue" I believe is the color. Body's fine, the car runs great. Not much else to say really. =D Congrats on your new used car.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Reese Tora

a 2007 Galaxy Grey Honda Civic

with, as of this morning, a long black streak on the housing for the side mirror where a chunk of tire got kicked up and knocked it for a loop
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Azlan

I have a history of certain cars... many of which I wish I still had (94 Camaro, 98 Trans Am, 99 Camaro)

My current vehicle is a 2000 Pontiac Firebird.  I was going to move up, but that's going to wait till 2010 model years are out... New Camaro, yes indeed!
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

I drive ...
... people mad.

Does that count? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 31, 2008, 02:50:57 AM
I drive ...
... people mad.

Does that count? ;-]

I don't think so. However, I've always seen you as driving a minivan or a Hummer or a Jeep... you know, something boxy.

Pagan

I think he'd have a scion xB then. Ooh, or maybe a bus? That's a regtangular box.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Jer-oh-me

A hybrid bus. That's what Llearch should drive, they've got some nice ones across the Columbia in Vancouver.

Fragmaster01

A 2006 Chrysler Sebring, in a mild state of Mchargism.
Mchargism: The state of a car where as little money is spent on it as possible, to avoid spending on a car that won't live too much longer. Named after my high school physics teacher, who did this on his car after getting in a head-on collision(the engine compartment was in the rear). Sadly for him, the car lasted another five years without so much as an oil change(no, it wasn't street legal, but that wasn't going to stop him).

Mao

I don't own a car of my own, but I occasionally  borrow my mom's.  It's a mazda protege.

I do own two motorcycles though:  1982~4 (?) Yamaha XJ-400 Maxim and a 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 classic edition.

I was looking at finally caving and getting a car for myself, but insurance is already killing my on my bikes. :(

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on July 31, 2008, 03:55:17 AM
A 2006 Chrysler Sebring, in a mild state of Mchargism.
Mchargism: The state of a car where as little money is spent on it as possible, to avoid spending on a car that won't live too much longer. Named after my high school physics teacher, who did this on his car after getting in a head-on collision(the engine compartment was in the rear). Sadly for him, the car lasted another five years without so much as an oil change(no, it wasn't street legal, but that wasn't going to stop him).

That almost makes me want to start a quirky teachers thread. So, I take it this car of yours is on the downturn?

Damaris

Darkmoon's (and therefore my) baby is a black 2002 Nissan Altima.  We bought is about a year ago, and are thrilled with the power of the car.

I personally am trying to pay down debt so I can pick up something inexpensive for myself (i just recently got my license).  I often drive a 98 Jeep Cherokee for work, and I am rather fond of that particular car.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

DarkAudit

2002 Suzuki Aerio SX.

Looks just like that one, except I got in before they started shipping AWD standard
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Valynth

Blue '04 ford Taurus.  It's been a good little car since I got it in '06, but just recently it just crapped out on me on the way home from work.  It happened when I was stopped at a light, and then I tried to pull forward when the light was green.  Unfortunately I heard a "Clunk" and suddenly, I have no forward power, given that I was on a slight slant with cars behind me, you can guess what happened.  My car rolled back slowly onto the car behind me.  I then shifted the car into park, shut off the engine and got out.  The other motorist and I talked and since there was only VERY minor damage to my car (a few scratches), and no damage to her car, we decided to just call it as an "accident" and move on.  I went back to my car to see if it would start up again, and to my delight and slight shock, it started.  I made the rest of my trip back home and I am now planning to get it into a mechanic ASAP.

In other news:  yes I got a job.  A while ago.  I don't have to tell you guys EVERYTHING.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

yakanaj

Quote from: Yugo on July 30, 2008, 10:56:57 PM
A 2001 Saturn L-Series. "Cobalt Blue" I believe is the color. Body's fine, the car runs great. Not much else to say really. =D Congrats on your new used car.

That's cool. I drive a 2001 Saturn SL (gold) and the trani is trying to escape. No one believed me when my parents first got it that it didn't sound right and now it needs a new trani. It's not that bad really, it just doesn't like hills or reverse. GO MY CAR!!

And a related note - I wish you all could have seen James the first time he drove it and it wouldn't go into gear. it was great because when it finally did go into gear, it was a really loud slamming noise that made hit his head on the roof!

Lushin

I'm currently driveing a 1997 Jeep Wrangler. Standard 5 speed with the 4 cylinder and 30 inch tires. I love it.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Shadrok

Quote from: Yugo on July 30, 2008, 10:56:57 PM

Thanks. :mowhappy
My sister test drove a Saturn when she was shopping for her first car years ago. It had nice handling but she went with a Dodge Avenger. Not the best of choices really since it ended up dieing on her a few years later, I think it was a chip failure or something.

Quote from: Pagan on July 30, 2008, 07:56:10 PM
Monte Carlos, BMWs, Grand Prix? Jeez... makin' my cavalier look all shabby...
'99 Chevrolet Cavalier, white, four-door.

The interesting thing is I went to the dealer for a '99 Toyota Camry but they had sold it already.

Quote from: Pagan on July 30, 2008, 07:56:10 PM
During school though, I just take the bus and the train. MARTA for the win.

You know you just put that "MARTA IS SMARTA" slogan in my head. *shakes his head* Uh, that's going to take a while to get out.

Azlan

mwahahhaa!  My cars are faster!
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"