Question why is this site linked to one of the best furry comics out there?

Started by Nekoboy, July 24, 2008, 12:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

QuoteAnd then Alondro wins and we can't have that.

why does everybody else make it seem like Alondro winning is a bad thing???

Faerie Alex

Jeez I need to update this thing.

Rakala

Because in this case Alondro wins because of anarchy. Anarchy is bad.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Darkmoon

Quote from: Nekoboy on August 14, 2008, 08:39:06 PM
I just said for the haters to stop replying.

Chum, no one here is actually laying on "teh hate". What we're doing is constructive criticism, and a little kick towards getting you to write like a human being.

Believe me, considering the roots of this forum (at least on one side of it's tree), this is barely a whisper of anything that could even remotely be called hate. This is a droplet of mild malice.

However, I will state you annoy me, and the sooner you stop acting like a whiny child, the better off this forum will be.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Nekoboy

Quote from: Darkmoon on August 15, 2008, 12:27:47 AM
Quote from: Nekoboy on August 14, 2008, 08:39:06 PM
I just said for the haters to stop replying.

Chum, no one here is actually laying on "teh hate". What we're doing is constructive criticism, and a little kick towards getting you to write like a human being.

Believe me, considering the roots of this forum (at least on one side of it's tree), this is barely a whisper of anything that could even remotely be called hate. This is a droplet of mild malice.

However, I will state you annoy me, and the sooner you stop acting like a whiny child, the better off this forum will be.

Well that makes two of us, If you dont like me, I dont like you.....simple as that.....allso I'm not the one whineing about other people's spelling/posts am I? ....Didnt think so...and to be truefull this form would be better off if everyone just stop complaning about how others type.

Darkmoon

It's in the bloody rules, you moron. The rules are there for a reason.

Damaris

Talking back to moderators is also in the rules.  As is the names of the seven people you're not allowed to talk back to like a petulant child.

Seriously, a question for the room-  Why is it so difficult for the new people to read the rules?  It's like they don't think the rules apply to them.  This is something like the sixth person we've had to have this discussion with.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Rakala

In my own defense I did read them and whenever I did break them I didn't usually realize it until I got a warning. Also, thank you to the mods for your perseverance instead of going out and living a real life like a normal human being. ^^

Darkmoon

You've never gotten an official warning, so I wouldn't worry about it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Also note that the rules are linked at the top of every single page, and in the page that you MUST agree to before creating an account; we do our bit to make sure they're there.

If there's some wrinkle of the system that means that you can get in without at least clicking on something that confirms that you have read, and will abide by, the rules, I'm not aware of it, and I'd appreciate being told, so that I can go and fix it.

Rakala

He could've just not read them and clicked on the "agree" button.

Darkmoon

Ah, but see, that's not our fault, that's his. Not reading them is not the same as not having a chance to do so.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Rakala

Yeah. I do it sometimes, mostly when it's something like installing a computer game. I didn't do it here if that's what you're wondering.

Saist

Quote from: Damaris on August 15, 2008, 07:07:07 AM
Talking back to moderators is also in the rules.  As is the names of the seven people you're not allowed to talk back to like a petulant child.

Seriously, a question for the room-  Why is it so difficult for the new people to read the rules?  It's like they don't think the rules apply to them.  This is something like the sixth person we've had to have this discussion with.

I'm pretty sure that's a rhetorical question and wasn't meant to be answered seriously... Attempting to answer it seriously though, it's the MySpace syndrome, previously called the AOL syndrome, and the Prodigy syndrome before that, and has offshoots into Geocities, Tripod, and Hotmail disease.

Short version is a lot of people use computers today who shouldn't be using computers. They were never taught proper maintenance, proper etiquette, or any of the generally accepted social norms. For them, the internet represented a way to get everything for free, with no responsibility, and no culpability. The ability to be completely anonymous online, outside of specialized tracking tools, gives many people the idea that they can say anything, do anything, and be anything, they want.

While Prodigy was one of the starting points of enabling the limited-users access to the net, the concept really took off with AOL. AOL's massive marketing scheme, low prices, and generous amounts of free hours drove hordes of new users who had no business being online, online. The fallout still continues today, with AOL emails automatically blocked by many forums and email systems. Many http://www. sites also block AOL users. Granted, as a company and as a business AOL has tanked, and most people are glad to see AOL go.

However, the people, the what passed for a community behind AOL, has moved on. The people looking for a free ride have latched onto sites like MySpace, FaceBook, and Youtube. Seriously, go look at the comments on videos at Youtube. People there are obscene, vulgar, rude, lacking of intelligence, and so on and so forth. From my view, it's just an extension of the same old trolls that came to the net through AOL.

Unfortunately, there's not much that can actually be done against the trolls without also causing interruption to the legitimate users. If you make the rules and regulations obnoxiously present, the people who behave according to the rules will find somewhere else to go. If you make things easy for the people who follow rules, someone will come along who honestly thinks that the rules don't apply to them.

Personally, my favorite answer is a swift kick to the pants. Granted, some people need multiple kicks to the pants.

Anyways, addressing a question I think that came earlier. Both FireFox includes an inline text spell check mechanism by default. Konqueror, at least as of 3.5.8 also includes an inline text mis-spelling indicator by default, although correcting the spelling is a bit more complex. Opera does not include a spell checker by default, but does use GNU Aspell: http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/

As far as I'm aware, only Microsoft browsers do not offer any inline spell checking options... so, if you see somebody who constantly mis-spells, chances are they probably are using Microsoft products... either that or they just ignore the little red lines in or around misspelled text, or add all of their bogus spellings to the dictionary files.

Rakala

I suppose that originally I was one of the said people who had no reason to be online to be perfectly honest. However because of the internet I learned computer maintenance and such. So really the internet turned me into somebody who uses the internet well. Anyways, I play a few online games now and then, but mainly I use the internet for communicating with friends and to get news. Apart from what most people think, the internet was originally created for the transfer of information.

Jairus

People are surprised when I tell them that I've never even visited MySpace or any of those social networking sites. The internet to me is a place of research (in all of it's varied kinds) and a place for going to forums like these where you can discussions with people on the other side of the world and not think twice about it. To be frank, forums like these raise me spirit and help me pretend that humans can basically get along without everything turning into a fight.

And it's nice to hear that it's possible to learn something from internet aside from how to be a massive twit.

Quote from: Rakala on August 15, 2008, 12:09:04 PM
Apart from what most people think, the internet was originally created for the transfer of information.
If you've ever seen the musical Avenue Q, you know the real reason that the internet was born. :mowwink
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Darkmoon

Apart from what most people think, the internet was originally created for the transfer of information.
If you've ever seen the musical Avenue Q, you know the real reason that the internet was born. :mowwink
[/quote]

Tubgirl?

Jairus

Quote from: Darkmoon on August 15, 2008, 01:40:50 PM
Quote from: Jairus on August 15, 2008, 12:14:30 PM
Tubgirl?

Please don't make me sing it.

VSMIT

Jairus

VSMIT

Jairus

Jairus

Quote from: Nekoboy on August 15, 2008, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: VSMIT on August 15, 2008, 02:08:50 PM
The internet is really, really great!

O god not that song again.  :mowdizzy

Right now you are down and out, and feeling really crappy.
And when I see how sad you are, it sort of makes me HAPPY!
Sorry, Neko, human nature, nothing I can do! Its...
Schadenfreude, making me feel glad that I'm not you!

Nekoboy

Quote from: Jairus on August 15, 2008, 07:39:25 PM
Quote from: Nekoboy on August 15, 2008, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: VSMIT on August 15, 2008, 02:08:50 PM
The internet is really, really great!

O god not that song again.  :mowdizzy

Right now you are down and out, and feeling really crappy.
And when I see how sad you are, it sort of makes me HAPPY!
Sorry, Neko, human nature, nothing I can do! Its...
Schadenfreude, making me feel glad that I'm not you!

what is this a sing along now? XD