Started by Darkmoon, July 20, 2008, 11:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mowser on July 24, 2008, 07:45:06 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 24, 2008, 07:36:57 AM
What's twisted about it?
You're involved. 

Oh, come on. I'm not twisted, I'm perverted. One would think you, of all people, would get this right...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

What?  You can't be both?  I know that to me, you'll always be both.  :bow  That's worthy of praise in my books.

Destina Faroda

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 22, 2008, 08:05:18 PM
For your first five questions: We're still looking. Likely OS would be linux, but the distribution would depend on the hosting company; many of them have specific builds they supply, so depending on who we chose, the OS may be chosen for us. The connect is a minimum 100Mb, from what we've looked at, with something on the order of a terabyte of bandwidth per month. And, obviously, it depends.

For your last: I work for a web development company. We host websites for approximately 30-50 % of the top 1000 publicly traded companies in the UK. And I'm responsible for something on the order of 120 Slackware, Debian, Solaris, and Windows servers.

Not counting the servers I run for myself, at home, and in colo, with additional work I've done for others, I've been running servers since 1995.

Is that sufficient of a pedigree for you, or should I fish out my CV?

Thank you for the information.  But is that 100 megabytes per second or 100 megabits per second...?

...just kidding.  :)

I'm a computer idiot, thankfully, but I do know people (online, not in RL) who work with dedicated servers for a very prestigious hosting company.  However, they have to literally babysit these servers.  Doing something unmanaged would be murder if you didn't know what you were doing, but since you do, I have no reason to doubt.
Sig coming...whenever...

llearch n'n'daCorna

If they have to babysit the servers, either they don't have enough server, or they have some stupid developer coding stupid things on them.

Or they're running windows - I personally look after approx 80-100 of those servers running linux/solaris. We have a team of three doing the managing of the 4-5 windows servers, and if one of them goes on holiday, we're generally in trouble.

*cough*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears