toughest

Started by silentassassin, July 16, 2008, 09:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentassassin

who's the toughest character in dmfa  :mowninja my vote is for him er she it

Amber Williams

Define what makes a character tough. :U

AmigaDragon

Are you talking tough as in a resilient ability to take abuse, or as it dish out out punishment, or some other measure?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Reese Tora

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 16, 2008, 09:26:57 PM
Define what makes a character tough. :U

From the author's perspective, I'm guessing Abel is the winner; spots, spots, and more spots. :3
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

bill

it's me

(it's also pyroduck)

VSMIT

Darkmoon.  Oh, wait, DMFA...  I don't know...

Don

For Strength, i'd say Pyroduck..As for magical powers, god i'd hate to see what happens to the thing that makes Mab angry and doesn't bow to her will   o_o

Jairus

Fa'Lina. For various reasons. I also measure toughness by a sort of spiritual strength, the ability to pick yourself up and carry on even when weighed down with the memories of tremendous loss.

What? You expected me to say someone different? Like Jyrras, for example?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Stygian

Evidently it has to be some damn Fae... but personally I don't think they count. Of course, even then, the case is still clear...

Curse you, Fa'Lina, you large and lurid thing... Some day...

Don

Quote from: Zack on July 16, 2008, 10:18:39 PM
For Strength, i'd say Pyroduck..As for magical powers, god i'd hate to see what happens to the thing that makes Mab angry and doesn't bow to her will   o_o

Edit: I have decided to step out of this, it's too hard to determine without more details.

Darkmoon

Quote from: VSMIT on July 16, 2008, 10:17:34 PM
Darkmoon.  Oh, wait, DMFA...  I don't know...

I like your style.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

VSMIT

It's true, though.  Dark could easily best Dan in adventuring, drinking, wenching, fighting, running away... The list goes on.

Pagan

Meh... Dark could beat being Dan, but cubi Dan? I dunno...
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

VSMIT

Remember: Dark can do magic.  Dan's afraid of magic.  Put 2 and 2 together.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Pagan on July 17, 2008, 12:39:48 AM
Meh... Dark could beat being Dan, but cubi Dan? I dunno...

Darkmoon vs. Dan? tough call, both are main characters, but Dan is a title character, which is nicely balanced out by DMoon being a mary sue.  The similarities between them otherwise outweigh the differences.

I suspect that an inconclusive fight would end with a break for beer and/or wenches.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Jairus

Quote from: VSMIT on July 17, 2008, 12:50:22 AM
Remember: Dark can do magic.  Dan's afraid of magic.  Put 2 and 2 together.

I was under the impression that Dan is afraid of doing magic, not magic itself.

VSMIT

@Reese Tora:I agree.  How about a small character battle?  (Mods can break thread if they want to)
Dark can fly.  Dan can't.
Dark: 1
Dan: 0

Dan has a whole bunch of swords hidden who knows where.  Dark has only his sword (which catches fire occasionally).
Dan: 1

From before: Dark uses magic.  Dan doesn't.
Dark: 2
Dan: 1

If you want to continue this, please do.

Zina

Jairus

All right, I just want to throw this up in regards to my joking comment about Jyrras.

It has been at most two/three weeks in-comic time since Dan was kidnapped by Fa'Lina and taken to SAIA. Since then, Jyrras has had to confront his feelings for his best friend, gained a new crush, faced the (albeit imagined) possibility of losing two of his best friends because of his feelings for them, learned that his mom is pregnant, had a friend of his write him into a shounen-ai scene in a spy novel without his knowledge, had a conversation with said friend that did not end well (and to my knowledge has not been resolved between them), had a good long discussion with Dan that resulted in the two of them at least confirming their friendship, gained the attention and wrath of a Fae that ended with him being marked down for a Fae curse (albeit, it was part of Mab's plan to protect him, but A) Jyrras doesn't know that, B) it was terrifying, and C) Albanion still hurt him a little), and had yet another long conversation with Lorenda that not only knocked out the possibility of them hooking up but led to him realizing that he is in fact gay. And all of that took place within three to four days. And he has presumably spent the intervening time trying to understand himself better and come to grips with his sexuality (see #859 and #860). Oh, and he had rainbow hair for a week. As Jyrras put it, "I'm so close to getting the entire fall line of emotional baggage. It'd be a shame to miss out on the full set..." Frankly, I'm surprised that he's still able (and he has yet to come clean to Abel about his feelings for the older Cubi! = another problem to deal with) to function: I mean, sure he's a little overwhelmed, but who wouldn't be? And that's not adding a lifetime of huggings/muggings from complete strangers and his whole size problem. Then you add in the fact that he's a valuable piece of a larger plan that several people (including one of his friends) are in on and that they seem to be just using him for their plans and he has no idea about any of this, and you come to realize that he's got a lot on his plate right now.

Now, most of the characters have some source of genuine angst and worry, so against the background of the other characters, it doesn't stand out as much. But I just wanted to throw that out there. Crud, I was rambling again.

PS: Actually, come to think of it, a lot of characters come across as really tough when you factor in all of their emotional baggage. I mean, take Dan: learned that he's a Cubi, that his best friend has a crush on him (and was afraid of telling him, which seemed to really hurt him), that his mom was evil, and that's not even accommodating for the whole DARK PHANTOM might be coming back problem... all over about a month or two. Much like Jyrras' problems, those are not things that you just deal with and get over. Jeeze, Amber, what is it with you and stacking all of this on your characters?

kaskar

8) Falina seems to get her point across.
8) Just Hanging Around ...

AndersW

Quote from: VSMIT on July 17, 2008, 12:58:52 AM
@Reese Tora:I agree.  How about a small character battle?  (Mods can break thread if they want to)
Dark can fly.  Dan can't.
Dan: 0

Since when?
http://www.missmab.com/Art/Images/Dan_Grace.jpg

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AndersW

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 17, 2008, 07:48:57 AM
Quote from: AndersW on July 17, 2008, 07:42:46 AM
Since when?
http://www.missmab.com/Art/Images/Dan_Grace.jpg

Oh, since about here, I'd say.

That was Dan when he was younger.  He is older and more mature now.  Well maybe not more mature, how about more experienced.  And he did go through adventurer school.

VSMIT

But that doesn't mean he can fly...  It just means that he's learned the "if it moves, hit it until it stops" mentality.

Mao

I wouldn't think that flying would be on the general curriculum of an adventuring school.  :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mowser on July 17, 2008, 10:08:47 AM
I wouldn't think that flying would be on the general curriculum of an adventuring school.  :B
Especially since they tend to hunt people with wings.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Beyond that, I believe that flying isn't such a good idea in the DMFA world... I seem to recall a strip pointing that one out...

Ganurath

NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Tapewolf

I'd have to go with Fa'Lina, though there are more powerful and longer-lived characters (e.g. the 100'000-year-old Tri-wing, various Fae, Dragons etc)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

One day I am gonna tell readers that Dan was just psyking a younger Jyrras outby saying he couldn't fly, and that while they had a rough landing, Dan did in fact glide into it.

One day.