[Art] Drath's Art Thread (Practise! Lineart. Stuff!)

Started by Keleth, February 12, 2008, 09:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keleth

It's been a while since I dropped the artistic pencils and left it alone on the hard beaches of the world.

So, without further ado, I present some of the artwork I started doodling to get my creativity back.

And, just because I could. Yan-US!
Help! I'm gay!

WhiteFox

Man, I love Yosemite Sam. Oldschool.

The shading on Janus' hair could use some more development, though.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Keleth

^^;; It probably could, I didn't think about it that much at the time. . I . . Kinda forgot about it O_O;;

I'll try to fix it and see if I can make it look presentable :x
Help! I'm gay!

Keleth

Oh my. It's been quite a long time.

Well I'll just link a couple of different things I've done in the last few days.

First, this is the first time I picked up a pencil in 16 months, the very first doodles on a page is this.

Nerding up laptops for some friends

Attempting to convert his guy to a different paintscheme.
The white is being painted the blue gray
Help! I'm gay!

Alteisentier

You need to draw more often and get back into practice, you were not half bad before.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

WhiteFox

This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Keleth

Most decals are done with various grades of Vinyl.

The vinyl in peticular was oracal 631. Black matte with a special glue
Help! I'm gay!

Keleth

Work in Progress Sketch. Not sure I'm gonna finish it or not.

First tablet sketch in almost 24 months.

Hopefully over the next few days, finish gel inking some sketches I have in my sketchbook. And I'll try to scan and clean those up.
Help! I'm gay!

Keleth

This is a soon to be graphic that's gonna be sandblasted on the glass insert of the front door. Along with some other design elements.

And the sketch in the post above is from vacation, still working on that. :b
Help! I'm gay!

Keleth

A sketch I told Keaton i should do. Drew it on vacation, No real references and then inked it with a gel pen. Made several errors. Tempted to clean it up in photoshop and do it all over digitally. Not sure.
Help! I'm gay!

Alteisentier

Quote from: Drathorin on September 01, 2010, 10:51:56 PM
A sketch I told Keaton i should do. Drew it on vacation, No real references and then inked it with a gel pen. Made several errors. Tempted to clean it up in photoshop and do it all over digitally. Not sure.

Practice makes perfect, even if it's not so great you can learn things from the experience of finishing it up.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Keleth

Quote from: Alteisentier on September 02, 2010, 12:27:48 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on September 01, 2010, 10:51:56 PM

Practice makes perfect, even if it's not so great you can learn things from the experience of finishing it up.

Thanks Alt. I know practice does make perfect. It's nice to hear it now and again, it's sometimes easy to forget.

Decided to finish Inking one of my older sketches in my sketchbook.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Drathorin/Art/Zaku_Sketch.jpg

Botched up on the hands, pens are harder to master than I thought, but got some valuable experience learning how they bleed. All in all, was fun.

Also on a side note, Would anyone be interested in a little bit of an art collab? I used to frequent some old art boards where they'd have a giant 'art brawl'.  Basically it was just someone draws something, someone else draws the next panel, no ques or waiting in line, just whoever felt like doing it.

They used to be a lot of fun, and people were interested enough they would go on 4 month sprees at a time.

Any interest? ;P
Help! I'm gay!

Inumo

Games of add-on are always fun! Also, what pens do you use to ink? It'd probably help with my own drawings if I inked them before coloring.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Drathorin on September 09, 2010, 11:00:44 AM
Any interest? ;P

Sure.

What about colouring lineart? I had fun with that in the collab thing I started a long while back.

Keleth

Quote from: Inumo on September 09, 2010, 06:14:45 PM
Games of add-on are always fun! Also, what pens do you use to ink? It'd probably help with my own drawings if I inked them before coloring.

For the last one I used a uni-ball VISION Fine.

Though the ones prior to that was a fine point sharpie.

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 09, 2010, 10:39:02 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on September 09, 2010, 11:00:44 AM
Any interest? ;P

Sure.

What about colouring lineart? I had fun with that in the collab thing I started a long while back.

What, you mean if people are interested in an art brawl type thing? Or you mean just coloring submissions?
Help! I'm gay!

WhiteFox

I am interested in an art brawl, and I was wondering if drawing additional panels would be the only way to contribute.

Keleth

I wouldn't think so. I've seen some where submissions were demotivational posters related to what was going on >> Things like that. Had to be made for it though, just couldn't link one off of a website.

And coloring would contribute, I imagine it'd just replace the previously drawn non colored panels.
Help! I'm gay!

Keleth

Spent a bored afternoon attempting to learn how to draw breasts and stuff properly..

Still have a long way to go.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Drathorin/Art/DSCF0597.jpg NSFW due to boobage.

Actually, maybe I should focus on drawing legs and everything...properly. XP

Speed sketch of a model toy I have. Done in about 10-20 minutes. Minimal erasing. Otherwise I would of redrawn this thing 30 times over and never finished. OOOOOH GOD WHAT DID I DO TO HIS ARM? *Froths at the mouth*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Drathorin/Art/Ingram98SpeedDrawing.jpg
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

I say, sir, have you considered practicing other sizes? You seem to have a particular consistency in your tests...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Keleth

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 09, 2010, 03:34:46 PM
I say, sir, have you considered practicing other sizes? You seem to have a particular consistency in your tests...

Not yet. It was my my first attempt. I'm going to be practising more later with more variety. But that was take one. :C
Help! I'm gay!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Righto. For a first test, it was remarkably successful. As long as you have a plan, though, I'll leave you to it.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

WhiteFox

Quote from: Drathorin on October 10, 2010, 01:05:17 PM
Not yet. It was my my first attempt. I'm going to be practising more later with more variety. But that was take one. :C

You know how the development process is. The prototype is always oversized, but you work on reducing the scale until you get it down to a hand held size. That's the version you market to the public.

In the sketch in the upper right corner, it seems like the figure is missing a collar bone, which affects the look of the deltoids and trapezius.

The standing figure on the middle-lower right seems like she has anti-grav boobs, but I'm not a trusted source on that. I see a.g. boobs where they're not.

I'm kinda hesitant about commenting on the Ingram, because the point of view of the camera might have been different from your pov when you drew it (Unless you drew from the photograph). But, FWIW:

-The forward shoulder is quite long, and the elbow on the rear arm is turned more inward. This might be what's making the arm look wrong, but if you drew the figure from a higher pov then the cameras pov, the sketch might be more accurate to what you saw then the picture.

-The foreward calf is much longer in the picture. The ankle of the forward foot lines up vertically with the sole of the rearward foot. This takes a lot of depth out of the sketch. If you drew it from a lower pov then the cameras, the sketch might be more accurate to what you saw then the picture.

-The thighs are longer in the sketch, which also may be making the forward arm look odd. (The elbow lines up with the right place of the leg, but the bicep stretches out)
-The cup plate is much narrower.
-The foreward bicep is shorter in the picture, and I think the elbow is crooked a little more.
-The Ingram in the sketch looks like it's leaning backwards a little. In the picture, the chest plate protrudes farther forward relative to the hips. The right side of the head lines up with the right side of the shoulder and the right side of the hips, but in the picture that line is plumb vertical, while at an angle in the sketch. That might be what's causing the pauldron to stretch out: the deltoid socket is in right place, but stretches farther back to line up with the head.
-The rear foot in the sketch is placed further out from the hips, and the foreward foot is turned at the hip a little (In the picture, the hip socket, knee, and ankle line up straight). That stiffens the pose.

Regardless of all that, the sketch looks pretty awesome. The pose looks much more energetic: the Ingram looks like it's recoiling suddenly. It may be different from the picture in places, but it's good.

(Friggernaffy! When did that turn into a wall'o'text?! I was just going to write a comment or two, I swear!  :erk )

Keleth

Thanks for the Wall of text.

Definately keep those points in mind as I move on  :3
Help! I'm gay!