*Asks a foolish question*

Started by DoctaMario, December 11, 2007, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe3210

Quote from: Kasarn on December 11, 2007, 07:34:42 PM
Gurochan's tagline should be changed to, "At least we're not furries!" :B
Guro??

Now that's something that should be gathered up and burned.
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

Alondro

Actually, it'd be pretty easy to become mainstream these days with furry.  All you have to do is declare it a lifestyle choice, while donating money to the ACLU.  Then, get a bunch of the 'GOD HATES FAGS' people to protest you and then you'll suddenly find yourself with a powerful lobbying group composed of Moveon.org-ers (and Mumia supporters by default) which will declare that anyone who objects to your lifestyle is biased and a Nazi.

Then Islam will declare jihad against furry and the world will be destroyed in the resulting battle.

At least, that's my plan.   >:3

Oh... and vore is the best!  :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rafe

I've been in a lot of assorted SciFi / Fantasy fandoms, including things like Star Trek, SAG (Medieval recreationists) and various comics and animation groups, and I've gone to a LOT of cons.  I've been going to furry cons for the last six years, from Tacoma, Washington to Philadelphia and in between, and I feel that I have to say something:  Of all the con-goers, the furries are the MOST NORMAL.

I think what it is, is the fact that - compared to fans of anime, or Star Trek - furries aren't obsessed by just one franchise or creation.  Plus, the actually tend to CREATE a lot of their own art, which means they have more of an active brain.   Yes there are a few weird ones, but I'd put it at less than 1% (still means like 20 of them at AC, I guess).  But at the slightest hint of a problem,of any kind,  there will be a bunch of people coming to rescue you.  And yes, for some reason, there's a higher proportion of gay and bi types.  But there is definitely a very high number of friendly, likeable people at furry cons.  And if, like me, you're not gay, you'll notice there are a lot more females than in other fandoms.

A few people wear suits, but they stand out - they're like team mascots or amusement park characters.  It's maybe 5% max.  They may be fans of DMFA, or Jack or The End of Things or whatever, but they dress and act like anybody else.  Something happens when you meet someone who is a fan of the same comics you are - it's like meeting an instant friend -  like you've known them all your life. 

I'd recommend going to a con to anyone.  I've never had so much fun in my life. 
Rafe

Alondro

But there are still babyfurs.

Now, if we could somehow kill them and get away with it...

Hmm... biology could help there... a little sprinkling of MRSA...

*Charles is hauled off to jail for terroristic threats*

No one told me the babyfurs already had a lifestyle lobby!   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

techmaster-glitch

Since the clockwork mansion is the first (and so far, only) place I've encountered a furry community, I have to ask another foolish question; what is a baby fur? That a term I haven't come across yet.

Zina

Rafe

Quote from: Alondro on December 11, 2007, 08:44:57 PM
But there are still babyfurs...

Not at any con I've ever been to. 

And even a hint of someone mentioning "cub-art" gets someone instantly shunned.  People bring their kids to these things.  Just because something shows up ont the internet, doesn't mean people tolerate it in person.
Rafe

Zina

Quote from: Rafe on December 11, 2007, 08:58:25 PM
Quote from: Alondro on December 11, 2007, 08:44:57 PM
But there are still babyfurs...

Not at any con I've ever been to. 

And even a hint of someone mentioning "cub-art" gets someone instantly shunned.  People bring their kids to these things.  Just because something shows up ont the internet, doesn't mean people tolerate it in person.

I've run into several baby furs at AC. And not just baby furs, but several very...sex-driven individuals.
I've had fun at cons, and have met a bunch of awesome people. But I've also run into quite a few people that were less than enjoyable.

Netrogo

Okay upon looking at Zina's link I'd like to semi revise my earlier statement. Diaper furs are freaks! I didn't know the individual name for them. I've met a couple people around SL who played younger avatars but they act normally. The diaper furs are the ones that horrify the shit out of me. I ran into one that had a realistic diaper that they 'did their business in' and had all this coloured gas and leaking 'liquid' when they apparently went to long without changing. Add to this that they were wearing leather bondage gear and, well you get the idea :erk

If that's the kind of stuff the ones in real life do then oh my freaking gawd!!!
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Eibborn

Babyfurs are to furries what furries are to the rest of the internet.
/kicks the internet over

superluser

As to the general question of what is a fur, I've always thought of the concept as humans who happen to be other species, and are not allegorical.

Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, & al. act like humans, but they're still fundamentally just talking animals who walk upright.  Furries are not.

And Aesop's animals are allegories for human behavior, so they don't count, either.

But Bullwinkle does.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 11, 2007, 08:50:25 PMSince the clockwork mansion is the first (and so far, only) place I've encountered a furry community, I have to ask another foolish question; what is a baby fur? That a term I haven't come across yet.

First time I've heard of it, but I can imagine.

*shudder*

I do *not* need to see Zina's link.

*clicks on Zina's link*

Edit:

It is indeed worksafe.  Still...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zina

The link is completely worksafe, just in case anyone is wondering.

thegayhare

Quote from: Zina on December 11, 2007, 04:59:34 PM
And I've run into several creepy people at cons.
Furry is weird.
And yes, a lot of them are THAT bad.

Eeep I hope I'm not one of them...

Zina

Quote from: thegayhare on December 11, 2007, 09:48:06 PM
Furry is weird.

O LAWD YES I HAET U. >8[
Haha, no, you're cool.

Reese Tora

Of course, if you give half a glance at the sort of banner adds that come up when your popup blocker gets disabled(don't ask; the brain bleach, it does nothing), you might notice that... pretty much every fetish has a group of adherents outside of furries.(aside from the ones that specifically require furries, of course, though even then...)

That's not to say that the majority of adhenrents for any given fetish isn't necessarily primarily furry, just that not all of them are.

From some of the discussions I've read regarding furry and gay, there seems to be an inordinately large number of gays in the fandom because of two reasons:
1: The fandom is pretty accepting, somone who comes out as gay is or atleast feels 'safer' doing so to the furry commmunity than they are to the rest of society.
2: Both declaring yourself furry and admiting you're gay ahve a certain ammount of 'coming out' involved, and someone who's openly gay may be more likely to admit to being a furry.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

thegayhare

Quote from: Zina on December 11, 2007, 09:52:48 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on December 11, 2007, 09:48:06 PM
Furry is weird.

O LAWD YES I HAET U. >8[
Haha, no, you're cool.

LOL

I don't know that hon. 

I'm not a normal person most times and at AC I get to let myself go and have fun.  Also Well I do like adult arts and tend to be a bit silly (teasingly hitting jouster at last years AC for one)

and I like you. I would just hate to think I creep you out. 
*great now he has a weird al song stuck in his head*

Darkmoon

Quote from: Rafe on December 11, 2007, 08:42:30 PM
Of all the con-goers, the furries are the MOST NORMAL.

I debate that point. Normal people are the most normal. They just stand out in a sea of weirdness at most cons, making them look abnormal.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Feroluce

Quote from: Alondro on December 11, 2007, 08:39:14 PM

I have to say, this is one of the few things that makes me queezy. Its not the blood - Blood doesnt phase me at all, and certainetly didnt when we were doing living and cadeaver dissections at University (I even still consider Surgeon as a career choice). Its the people licking, eating, and getting plain arousal out of it. Its kinda all Silence-Of-The-Lambs to me.

And Im not normally queezy. Hell, I know people into everything from bdsm to all out animophiles. I dont do it myself, but Im not so uncomfortable as to look at them any different. Having just learned of Diaper-Furs, the jury is still out on that one - mostly because I find it hard to take people that regressed to childhood seriously - but still Im generally tolerant

Vore tho... I keep thinking of Hannible Lector XD

Sorry, please ignore the bigotry XD

Rafe

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 11, 2007, 07:12:00 PM
Quote from: Feroluce on December 11, 2007, 07:11:08 PM
baby... furs? suddenly my life has a new fear.  :cry
Yes.  I wish that hadn't come up  :U

Seriously, in six years of going to cons, I've never seen one. - much less been in the company of people who would encourage them.  Depend on who you hang around with, I guess.
Rafe

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 11, 2007, 11:16:50 PM
Quote from: Rafe on December 11, 2007, 08:42:30 PM
Of all the con-goers, the furries are the MOST NORMAL.

I debate that point. Normal people are the most normal. They just stand out in a sea of weirdness at most cons, making them look abnormal.

Statistically, at a con, "normal" is the average con-goer, rather than population "normal"

And given "normal" includes high-end civil servants being smacked by their nannies, I'm just as happy to be abnormal, thanks...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

Quote from: Feroluce on December 12, 2007, 02:41:23 AM
Quote from: Alondro on December 11, 2007, 08:39:14 PM

I have to say, this is one of the few things that makes me queezy. Its not the blood - Blood doesnt phase me at all, and certainetly didnt when we were doing living and cadeaver dissections at University (I even still consider Surgeon as a career choice). Its the people licking, eating, and getting plain arousal out of it. Its kinda all Silence-Of-The-Lambs to me.

And Im not normally queezy. Hell, I know people into everything from bdsm to all out animophiles. I dont do it myself, but Im not so uncomfortable as to look at them any different. Having just learned of Diaper-Furs, the jury is still out on that one - mostly because I find it hard to take people that regressed to childhood seriously - but still Im generally tolerant

Vore tho... I keep thinking of Hannible Lector XD

Sorry, please ignore the bigotry XD

You look tasty... I just bought a nice savignon blanc too...  :zombiekun2 

And vore for me is the non-bloody stuff that can only occur in fantasy.  The 'realistic' type does squick me.   :P

Netrogo

I have a slight hatred of vore but it's not so much the content. We had a thing on my old forum that was obsessed with vore. Not to the whole 'Wow I love this stuff' point but more to the 'OMFG WE NEED MORE VOER!! MAEK MORE VORE!!! BLAAAAHHH' It also tended towards pissing everyone on the forum off in every way shape and form possible. It was so bad it made old Kaskar look normal and acceptable.

Feroluce

heh heh, I remember that guy. I think he took a wrong turn in forum sign-ups.

Netrogo

Hopefully by now he's taken a wrong turn off a cliff >:[

Feroluce

we should be so lucky. I never found his car to cut the break cables. :<

Netrogo

If I found his car his brake cables would be the last thing I cut...

Rafe

Quote from: Zina on December 11, 2007, 09:03:53 PM

I've run into several... very...sex-driven individuals.

Oh, them.  They're known as "males".
Rafe

Zina

Quote from: Rafe on December 12, 2007, 05:24:10 PM

Oh. I've never run across males in my day-to-day activities.
What else can you tell me about them, so I can be better prepared for my next encounter?

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Zina on December 12, 2007, 05:35:38 PM
Quote from: Rafe on December 12, 2007, 05:24:10 PM

Oh. I've never run across males in my day-to-day activities.
What else can you tell me about them, so I can be better prepared for my next encounter?

Never expose your chest. This can drive a Male to murder.

Netrogo

It has come to my attention that Danny is infact a Dani, because there's no way in hell any male would ever tell a woman NOT to expose her chest.