Easter Eggs?

Started by LoneHowler, November 12, 2007, 07:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on November 12, 2007, 02:26:56 PM
Zina has been banned for showing the secret cast pages.  :rolleyes
Out of morbid curiosity, what happens if Damaris accidentally bans herself?  Does llearch have to go in and modifiy the system tables by hand?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

*ughs at Zina*  But clicking on that link is too much work...  I want someone to click it for me.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zina

But Bill.
I'm never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around
and desert you. :C

bill

Quote from: Zina on November 12, 2007, 02:29:23 PM
But Bill.
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Bribery on the other hand...  :mwaha

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 12, 2007, 02:28:31 PM
Out of morbid curiosity, what happens if Damaris accidentally bans herself?  Does llearch have to go in and modifiy the system tables by hand?

Any of the admins can unban as well as ban. So no.

I -can-, but there are easier ways around the issue.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zina

Quote from: BillBuckner on November 12, 2007, 02:31:05 PM
Quote from: Zina on November 12, 2007, 02:29:23 PM
But Bill.
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Bribery on the other hand...  :mwaha

I'll give you six Zina Fun Bucks.
Good at any Zina Fun Park. Where you will have the time of your life.

bill

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 12, 2007, 02:31:56 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 12, 2007, 02:28:31 PM

I -can-, but there are easier ways around the issue.
so I can't usurp power by banning every other mod/admin?  :c

Quote from: Zina on November 12, 2007, 02:33:14 PM
y thank u  c:

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Zina on November 12, 2007, 02:33:14 PM

That sounds a little weird...

Tapewolf

Ah, I assumed the other admins would have a lower privilege level...

Darkmoon

Not the way we do things.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Sid

Finally went around to dig out the two pages (*disables his hastily created Greasemonkey script again*), and I've got two things to say:
1) If I ever get around to properly resuming my fic, there will have to be several changes of the plot outline. (D'oh)
2) *GLEE* *ARTGASM*

Edit:
Since I've been digging around: The Demo101's Being page has a "Back to top" link that goes to the wrong page (GryphonB).
:boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: BillBuckner on November 12, 2007, 02:33:22 PM
so I can't usurp power by banning every other mod/admin?  :c

You can. Right up until I log in and fix the issue - if necessary, craft a sql script to auto-unban me first. ;-]

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 12, 2007, 02:37:58 PM
Ah, I assumed the other admins would have a lower privilege level...

They do, but the bans are part of it. They can't shut down the forum as a whole for maintenance; other than that, permissions are more or less shared.

Some of us have focus on some bits, and some others. For example, D concentrates on the Lost Lake area and the Haunted Ballroom, RJ tends to watch the Tower of Art, and I do the underlying code, but we can all pinch-hit for each other, as it were.

Does that help?

Amber Williams

The best part was when I found out people were using stupid scripts to find them so I removed the links for a couple hours while they ran their searches.

Oh well. I guess next time I wont even bother letting there be an actual link but make people have to guess the word since people can't play nice. :V

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 03:44:44 PM
Oh well. I guess next time I wont even bother letting there be an actual link but make people have to guess the word since people can't play nice. :V

To be perfectly honest, I was surprised you did.  I had expected some weird hidden message spread out letter by letter in commented out parts of the HTML or some other chicanery.
About half an hour was wasted because I had this cuckoo idea that you'd inserted some kind of hint or link at the end of a bunch of spaces so it could only be seen if you scrolled the source code to the far right  :B

Apparently Groo The Wanderer had a secret message encoded in binary in the patterns of someone's cloak or something.  My brother never got that issue so I never managed to verify it.

**EDIT**
And one of the pictures on my website has a message encoded in it which is only visible if you edit the palette since it's a GIF file with two black colours.  Even I can't remember which picture it is though...

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 12, 2007, 03:50:52 PM
To be perfectly honest, I was surprised you did.  I had expected some weird hidden message spread out letter by letter in commented out parts of the HTML or some other chicanery.

Truthfully, I had wanted to keep it simple...and something that people later on might be able to uncover just by accident if they were wandering around.  These weren't necessarily meant to be insanely difficult or requiring one to traverse seventeen pages to find them...which is probably why it is more insulting than anything to know people used scripts to find them.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 03:44:44 PM
The best part was when I found out people were using stupid scripts to find them so I removed the links for a couple hours while they ran their searches.

... that might have been me. Sorry. I -was- trying to limit it, but it didn't work. :-/ I -did- stop it as soon as I realised it had wandered off the way it wasn't supposed to. :-/

Sid

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 03:55:42 PM
Truthfully, I had wanted to keep it simple...and something that people later on might be able to uncover just by accident if they were wandering around.  These weren't necessarily meant to be insanely difficult or requiring one to traverse seventeen pages to find them...which is probably why it is more insulting than anything to know people used scripts to find them.

Erm, you didn't expect this to happen? You announced that two links were hidden somewhere, somehow. Your site has 1000+ pages, and without knowing what to look for, it's pure coincidence for somebody to notice the hidden links the first time through (I had actually started going through the archives and mousehovering over ALL the mow icons to see if one of them might be The Link... and before that, I hovered over all the links on the Downloads page to see if you had maybe changed the 800*600 link of the tenth wallpaper or something.) Heck, I browsed by the page(s) with the hidden link(s) at least three times without noticing them (then again, now I'm not sure there WERE any links since I might have browsed in that linkless window).

So people using tools to auto-mine for links was pretty much a natural reaction, all things considered (before you ask: No, not me, but mostly because I didn't have a GUI-based tool handy at the moment)

Amber Williams

Using tools? Yes.  Promoting said tools and apparently using the unnoffical chat as a base of operations? No.

Normally I could care little if people are using particular means, but if they are going to be public about it and announce their intents to the point that I am able to spot it, then I'm going to react.  In much the same way of my reaction to people pirating software, I don't care if people are doing it...but I don't want to hear about it.

If I'm actually able to figure out the means of which people are finding the pages, then you are doing it wrong. Cause really, I'm lazy and not all that bright.  It's only when people get show-off and chatty that I get any indicator. :U

phat feet

I'm so enraged by this i can only find one and the other is killing me slowly  :cry

Sid

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 04:21:26 PM
Using tools? Yes.  Promoting said tools and apparently using the unnoffical chat as a base of operations? No.

Yeah, okay, that may be pushing it :animesweat

Reese Tora

scripts? whut?

darn you, firefox users!

Actually, I'm at work, and don't have the time to go looking... (nor the disipline or patience to follow through if I did...) so I'm going to wait until someone slips up or they get posted normally...
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Faerie Alex

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just found both using ye olde-fashioned scan-it-with-your-eyes method. That second one was real tricky; it had me looking in the source codes for a while, but I eventually found it (6 hours or so after the first :U) without.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

M

Quote from: modelincard on November 12, 2007, 04:40:58 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just found both using ye olde-fashioned scan-it-with-your-eyes method. That second one was real tricky; it had me looking in the source codes for a while, but I eventually found it (6 hours or so after the first :U) without.

I did that, too. Took forever. XD

But the frustration makes the find so much more rewarding, don't you think? :3

bill

I got it because someone posted it in the admin board  :U

CameronCN

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

*Goes insane because he hasn't found one.*

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: CameronCN on November 12, 2007, 04:56:27 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

*Goes insane because he hasn't found one.*

second'd

Saist

Normally I could care little if people are using particular means, but if they are going to be public about it and announce their intents to the point that I am able to spot it, then I'm going to react.  In much the same way of my reaction to people pirating software, I don't care if people are doing it...but I don't want to hear about it.

If I'm actually able to figure out the means of which people are finding the pages, then you are doing it wrong. Cause really, I'm lazy and not all that bright.  It's only when people get show-off and chatty that I get any indicator. :U

Actually I was using Opera. One of the features it's had for... I think a couple of years now... is a function that shows all of the links on a page. As far as I know FireFox has nothing like that, so in my view, people who were using FireFox scripts were overworking themselves  :mowtongue

CameronCN

Quote from: je.saist on November 12, 2007, 05:05:05 PM

Actually I was using Opera. One of the features it's had for... I think a couple of years now... is a function that shows all of the links on a page. As far as I know FireFox has nothing like that, so in my view, people who were using FireFox scripts were overworking themselves  :mowtongue

It does, but it takes a couple of clicks to get to it, so it's not practical to go through the whole website using it. :B

Fex

*keeps on pussing every light orange button that is on the site* :eager curse you Amber, CURSE you straight to hell ... must find damn cast links grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr *keeps on pushing* :U  GET OUT OFF MY HEAD

(edit)
GOD YES YES I FOUND ONE *does the very happy dance* and I ain't telling let other people be tormented to

Tapewolf

Quote from: CameronCN on November 12, 2007, 05:09:17 PM
It does, but it takes a couple of clicks to get to it, so it's not practical to go through the whole website using it. :B

You must be doing it wrong.  It took two keypresses here :3
Either that or it's some weird apple-specific thing...

**EDIT**
Sorry, two keypresses and a click.