Easter Eggs?

Started by LoneHowler, November 12, 2007, 07:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Quote from: computer nerd on November 12, 2007, 06:49:35 PM
hey when will we see them not hidden  :3

Probably never.  They are secret pages for a reason. :U

I should point out, that there isn't any harm if a person wanted to PM another forum member the information, or someone simply asking someone who knows.  While half the gimmick is trying to scout out the pages, another half can sometimes just be sharing a secret with a friend.

Zedd

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 11:18:18 PM

I should point out, that there isn't any harm if a person wanted to PM another forum member the information, or someone simply asking someone who knows.  While half the gimmick is trying to scout out the pages, another half can sometimes just be sharing a secret with a friend.
Truer words have never been said Amber...And how did you get out the Bishi fun pit?  >:3

Pendolse

I dunno if I can say what 'tool' I used to find the first page...

It's really popular and people will tell you to use it if you don't know about something.

techmaster-glitch

What?!? I was gonna wait until they were made legitimate!

DAMN!

Ok, I'll wait until they are added to the Wiku-Wiki. If these pages are genuine information, it's gotta be put up there sometime.

Fuyudenki

there are secret pages?

No, really, there are secret pages?
(that should help anyone who can't find either of them.  This thread's appearance was the first I heard of it.)

hmm... between being lazy, having better things to do than waste apparently 6 hours scouring 1000+ pages for one or two links, and knowing for fact that I SUCK at these kinds of puzzles(yeah, OK, the hints are all in this thread.  That doesn't help!), and because Amber has said it's OK, I'm going to ask for the links to be PM'd to me.

Anyone?  Anyone feel like being nice?  I won't share them, promise.

[edit]
wow, that was fast.  Thanks, [no, you can't know who sent it to me].

hmm, I wonder if posting my initial reaction, vague as it would be, would be a bad thing.

Better safe than sorry.

Pendolse

I've no idea how to find the second one, but I'm guessing it might be Mab's daughter. XD

CameronCN

Could someone please spoil it for me too? ;)

EDIT: Thanks.  :bunny

Cogidubnus

Really? So we can -never- reveal what's hidden in them?

I guess we'll have to watch our tongues, then, and make sure not to slip...

Rika Banpaia

I've been searching for 6 hours (not and exaggeration) does someone feel nice and care to pm me where one of the pages is, I'd be extremely happy with just one! :U Or even a someone obvious hint, or something to narrow my search, anything, please? I won't tell a soul!

Fuyudenki

I've created a monster.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Cogidubnus on November 13, 2007, 12:00:09 AM

Well it's really more or less how cautious you want to be.  One problem with revealing the information on the pages is that if people ask for validation or where you got that from, you are now in a tight spot.

Now, odds are if/when information on them becomes known in main DMFA canon, they will be more than likely free to discuss here.  And odds are at some point the pages themselves might de-secretize a couple years from now and go to the main cast page.  However, as long as the stuff in the pages contain secrets and spoilers in regards to the comic, they are things that shouldn't be discussed on the forum.  Thats the price of having secret pages.

Valynth

I've found them.  I used a magic key on my mystical mythical surf board that was magically adjusted to find things according to my mental image of what I want found by the powers of Greyskull as a reward for defeating the magic soccer ball ninja golem of the nineteenth dimension..

But wait that would mean I knew what I did not know, but I didn't know..  so the seagull quacks at the pancake and.... *head explodes resulting in no further information*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Valynth on November 13, 2007, 12:52:33 AM
I've found them.  I used a magic key on my mystical mythical surf board that was magically adjusted to find things according to my mental image of what I want found by the powers of Greyskull as a reward for defeating the magic soccer ball ninja golem of the nineteenth dimension..

But wait that would mean I knew what I did not know, but I didn't know..  so the seagull quacks at the pancake and.... *head explodes resulting in no further information*

wait, Great Cthulu's in the comic?

*goes to check*

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 13, 2007, 12:19:43 AM

Well it's really more or less how cautious you want to be.  One problem with revealing the information on the pages is that if people ask for validation or where you got that from, you are now in a tight spot.

Now, odds are if/when information on them becomes known in main DMFA canon, they will be more than likely free to discuss here.  And odds are at some point the pages themselves might de-secretize a couple years from now and go to the main cast page.  However, as long as the stuff in the pages contain secrets and spoilers in regards to the comic, they are things that shouldn't be discussed on the forum.  Thats the price of having secret pages.

since i've found 'em, chances are i'll forget what's in 'em. >.> i keep secrets like that.. i forget 'em.. <.<  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 12, 2007, 02:14:38 PM
I've found two.  There's a useful trick you can do in Firefox which I discovered by pure accident.  Makes things a lot, lot simpler.
Yup, and according to the rant, there are only two(I think...).

Shh! Don't let people know about that trick! When I found one using something like that...
Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 12, 2007, 09:47:46 AM
I blame RobbieThe1st. :nod
Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 03:44:44 PM
The best part was when I found out people were using stupid scripts to find them so I removed the links for a couple hours while they ran their searches.
Well, lets just say thats why I should be blamed.  ;)

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on November 12, 2007, 01:40:08 PM
I've known where they both are since the beginning.

As if my maniacal laughter was not clue enough!

Nyaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa~

Its all Janus' fault! Blame him!  :3

The best part was when I found out people were using stupid scripts to find them so I removed the links for a couple hours while they ran their searches.
Yes! I am (in)famous!
Oh well. I guess next time I wont even bother letting there be an actual link but make people have to guess the word since people can't play nice. :V

Of course, that wouldn't work, as anyone who could code(which, looking at the technology-savvy crew here, means probably 50%) would end up creating some sort of brute-force page finder, which is horribly wasteful bandwidth wise, and very slow.

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 12, 2007, 03:50:52 PM
Oh well. I guess next time I wont even bother letting there be an actual link but make people have to guess the word since people can't play nice. :V

To be perfectly honest, I was surprised you did.  I had expected some weird hidden message spread out letter by letter in commented out parts of the HTML or some other chicanery.
About half an hour was wasted because I had this cuckoo idea that you'd inserted some kind of hint or link at the end of a bunch of spaces so it could only be seen if you scrolled the source code to the far right  :B

Apparently Groo The Wanderer had a secret message encoded in binary in the patterns of someone's cloak or something.  My brother never got that issue so I never managed to verify it.

**EDIT**
And one of the pictures on my website has a message encoded in it which is only visible if you edit the palette since it's a GIF file with two black colours.  Even I can't remember which picture it is though...
Well, I am going to have to download all your .GIF files and run it through a script. :rolleyes

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 03:55:42 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 12, 2007, 03:50:52 PM
To be perfectly honest, I was surprised you did.  I had expected some weird hidden message spread out letter by letter in commented out parts of the HTML or some other chicanery.

Truthfully, I had wanted to keep it simple...and something that people later on might be able to uncover just by accident if they were wandering around.  These weren't necessarily meant to be insanely difficult or requiring one to traverse seventeen pages to find them...which is probably why it is more insulting than anything to know people used scripts to find them.
Well, I spent more time looking for them *with* the view-links trick than I would have by just looking normally most likely. I hope your happy!  :cry

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 04:21:26 PM
Using tools? Yes.  Promoting said tools and apparently using the unnoffical chat as a base of operations? No.

Normally I could care little if people are using particular means, but if they are going to be public about it and announce their intents to the point that I am able to spot it, then I'm going to react.  In much the same way of my reaction to people pirating software, I don't care if people are doing it...but I don't want to hear about it.

If I'm actually able to figure out the means of which people are finding the pages, then you are doing it wrong. Cause really, I'm lazy and not all that bright.  It's only when people get show-off and chatty that I get any indicator. :U
Well, I didn't even known about the link-hunt until Janus told us in the unofficial IRC, as well as approximately where they are - I have logs!  >:3
Well, next time I suppose I shouldn't say anything around Janus about what cool trick I used to find it.

Ya know, just say 'Find this by hand, don't bother using scripts to cheat.' - that would help. Of course, a few people will still use tools/scripts, but well, it will help.

Quote from: je.saist on November 12, 2007, 05:05:05 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on November 12, 2007, 04:21:26 PM
Using tools? Yes.  Promoting said tools and apparently using the unnoffical chat as a base of operations? No.

Normally I could care little if people are using particular means, but if they are going to be public about it and announce their intents to the point that I am able to spot it, then I'm going to react.  In much the same way of my reaction to people pirating software, I don't care if people are doing it...but I don't want to hear about it.

If I'm actually able to figure out the means of which people are finding the pages, then you are doing it wrong. Cause really, I'm lazy and not all that bright.  It's only when people get show-off and chatty that I get any indicator. :U

Actually I was using Opera. One of the features it's had for... I think a couple of years now... is a function that shows all of the links on a page. As far as I know FireFox has nothing like that, so in my view, people who were using FireFox scripts were overworking themselves  :mowtongue
It has the same thing - thats what Tape and I(more or less) did.

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 12, 2007, 05:25:32 PM
I still blame Robbie.
:<

Quote from: Damaris on November 12, 2007, 09:06:53 PM
Damaris's Super Secret Method of Finding Hidden Webpages:

1) Ask Darkmoon to log into Amber's FTP
2) Have him look for pages he does not recognize
3) Have him read them off, and type them in.
4) Read
5) Mock forumers.

:mwaha
:P Good idea!

Quote from: Naldru on November 12, 2007, 10:20:55 PM
If you really want to be nasty, have the links created dynamically using Javascript and DOM (Domain Object Model) with the Javascript contained in an external file.

Another approach would be to intercept keystrokes and only have the link appear if the user types in "Amber is Great".
-way- overused! It has been used so many times that there are plenty of Firefox extensions out there for viewing external JavaScript.

Hm, SMF supports passworded forums, right?
Why don't you create a forum for discussing hidden info which has a password you would only know if you found the page, perhaps the name of the page, or, like in old games, something like "line 5, word 30". This way we would be free to talk about it and no one who had not read the page would be viewing this forum.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tezkat

Doh. I poked around last night, but to no avail. I guess they'd been taken down already. :animesweat I eventually stumbled across one of them after they'd been reinstated. I suppose I'll come across the other in due time. With a filename like that, I don't see how anyone could be expected to come up with it based on randomly typing URLs...  :B

(I'll admit that I did consider spidering the site, though... I might actually get around to doing that sometime anyway for archive purposes. But I'll remember not to do it after secret files are announced... wouldn't want to ruin it for everyone else. :3)

Hmm... I guess we'll have to be extra careful with our wiki speculation now, too... :dface

(Tapewolf and I had competing theories about the person whose secret page I found. Turns out he had it right... but is now barred from talking about it. >:])

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Sienna Maiu - M T

Welp, I've done every possible thing my miniscule mind can concieve.
*wipes hands clean with accomplishment*

Amber Williams

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on November 13, 2007, 01:17:23 AM
Ya know, just say 'Find this by hand, don't bother using scripts to cheat.' - that would help. Of course, a few people will still use tools/scripts, but well, it will help.

If I actually have to tell people that, it sort of defeats the point doesn't it?  If your first impulse is to bust out the quick-cheat solution, me saying "hay guys. Plz dont" isn't likely going to really impact.

QuoteHm, SMF supports passworded forums, right?
Why don't you create a forum for discussing hidden info which has a password you would only know if you found the page, perhaps the name of the page, or, like in old games, something like "line 5, word 30". This way we would be free to talk about it and no one who had not read the page would be viewing this forum.

I'm not going to create a hidden forum just so people can talk about 2 cast pages. That is wasteful.

At the time.  Next time I add something, I doubt I'll even be making a notice on the rant box about them.

Gally

Aie, I give up, can somebody PM me the location of the links please? :(

Zina

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 12, 2007, 07:32:05 PM
wait was the horrifying music video there before or after Zina was banned?
It was there before I was banned from the forums forever.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 13, 2007, 01:38:02 AM

If I actually have to tell people that, it sort of defeats the point doesn't it?  If your first impulse is to bust out the quick-cheat solution, me saying "hay guys. Plz dont" isn't likely going to really impact.
Perhaps... I just figure that it couldn't hurt.

QuoteHm, SMF supports passworded forums, right?

I'm not going to create a hidden forum just so people can talk about 2 cast pages. That is wasteful.
Well, that is, until you create more.

At the time.  Next time I add something, I doubt I'll even be making a notice on the rant box about them.
Well, I am going to have to keep my eyes open then...

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

RJ

I'm hopeless at guessing/finding games... Lucky me, I gots the cheat sheets.  :P

Sienna Maiu - M T

Curse you RJ, curse youuuu~!!!
You've watched Shippuuden!

oh yeah... and you have scripts *shakes fist*

Maril

Can I beg someone for the link?  :mowsad I'm new to the forum, but not the comic, but I do so suck at finding hidden things... and I'm even worse with hints >_> <_< I've been looking for like... a few hours now and haven't found a single thing...

Dannysaysnoo

These profiles will eventually become available as soon as they have no spoilers, right?

schizo

Finally found both of them it took a long time though,im proud of myself now.

Suwako

Could I receive them as well? I really really don't have enough patience or a long enough attention span to find things.
* Aiyno sighs*

Amber Williams

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 13, 2007, 02:56:20 AM
These profiles will eventually become available as soon as they have no spoilers, right?

Probably.  But that is probably a good 2+ years from happening considering the update rate DMFA has. :>

LoneHowler

I'm tickled Pink that I found one :boogie , now that I have a idea what to look for hopefully the second will be easier
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

Lorien

>_<  I seem to fail rather hard at finding these things.  I know I'm new to the forum and all, but could someone at least drop a (really obvious) hint?