Few thoughts about this place...

Started by Omega, November 10, 2007, 04:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

Quote from: Damaris on November 11, 2007, 08:10:01 PM
Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 11, 2007, 07:29:22 PM
And I would imagine that it wouldn't be all that easy to moderate anyways, I know for a fact that personally, unless I had my sense of justice with the rules going, I far too much like being the nice person (although I may not always come across as such)

I don't know about the other mods, but that's why I tend to not post conversationally.  I find that when people think you're "friends" then they feel they can manipulate you to their way of thinking (something I've been guilty of in the past.)  So, avoiding creation of friendships means that you don't have to worry about that.

Sad thing about that is you get lonely.
* je.saist fires the orbital ribbon cannon on Damaris

There. The ribbons will keep you company.

thegayhare

LOL
sure enough when the topic of pushing the sigs limits my name comes up
*chuckles*

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2007, 04:54:17 PM
Besides - is it -really- that hard to keep the smut out of your .sig?

Sure, everyone gets kept to the same standard. It's not -that- high a standard, and, let's be honest - if you tried to wander down the high street wearing a shirt with non-PG-rated content on it (and I'm talking sex-related, specifically, not just violence; ain't it grand living in a hypocritical society?) you'd likely get arrested. All we're asking is that you keep to those same standards.

Reasonable, right?

out right smut now thats just silly (though to trll you the truth in my time in retail I've delt with more then my share of customers wearing x rated t-shirts)

xHaZxMaTx

Distracting

Hey Damaris, let's be friends and then I'll start making outrageous demands. It's a good plan. :U

But really, this is one of the better forums I've been to. At least here the rules are interestingly laid out in contrast to some legal jargon and unwritten rules. Not only that, but it feels more like this forum is filled with people speaking casually rather than kids being overly serious about nothing in particular on the internet (and not in any good way).

Sorry for the rant-like post. A lot of forums bother me like that, which is probably why I stayed after stumbling upon this particular part of the internet.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: Damaris on November 11, 2007, 08:10:01 PM
Sad thing about that is you get lonely.

Quote"It's lonely at the top"

Well, it's working. Your rare appearances, coupled with the allusions of the other mods, have made you (at least in my mind) a figure to respect.

Quote from: HeroZero on November 11, 2007, 11:21:26 PM
Hey Damaris, let's be friends and then I'll start making outrageous demands. It's a good plan. :U

But really, this is one of the better forums I've been to. At least here the rules are interestingly laid out in contrast to some legal jargon and unwritten rules. Not only that, but it feels more like this forum is filled with people speaking casually rather than kids being overly serious about nothing in particular on the internet (and not in any good way).

Sorry for the rant-like post. A lot of forums bother me like that, which is probably why I stayed after stumbling upon this particular part of the internet.
*laughs*
Hun, if that's a rant, then I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.
I mean, sure you were expressing your opinion and feelings in an honest manner, but it in no way hit the boundary of the current negative conotation of just what makes a rant. And honestly... it seems more like a fact.

Feroluce

A good place to start posting again after one of my periodic absence's...

To be honest, I haven't felt threatened once while posting here. And I mean that from either perspective - I never feel I will get flamed for any content (Unless I'm being at my obnoxiously best, which I'm generally not online) or likewise get warned by a moderator (see previous parenthesis).

Now, Ive been on forums where the moderator(s) were assholes, and sometimes they work out OK (yes, I'm looking at you Net =P). likewise I have been to forums where moderators were stuck-up obnoxious, anally retentive, favoratistic fascists, stayed a day without posting, and left. I believe they banned my account later, because I hadn't posted.

Net lasted... how long did you last with Pink Aya, Net? 15min?

This place is nowhere near as strict as some of the places I have enjoyed going to, but they maintain lines of civil conduct. That hardly constitutes a police state - if this were run in such a way, this topic would not be allowed to exist.

It also does not have similarity's to Intelligence agency's, in that as far as I'm aware any "behind the scenes" content is simply ways of maintaining the rules (rules you agree to on sign up) without dragging the person through an embarrassing public trial and creating a huge furor. This is something I prefer, as do I believe the rest of the forumites would.

Quote from: Omega on November 10, 2007, 06:13:30 PM

Well, this is the best thing I could have really hoped for: Cold, hard conversation about using power. Now, if we could get Machiavelli and Sun Zu quotes, it couldn't get any better.

given that this is a fairly benign forum, does this show the reason you started this topic? to review power topics in general, or review the power structure in this forum in particular? forgive me for questioning your motives: This topic did start a lil deeper then what we are used to here. (maybe we need a philosophy forum? lol)

that being said, the fact that a topic doesn't usually continue past two pages and stay on topic here, I think whats already here is all you are gonna get lol.

funnily enough, this is also the first time I have seen Amber post in a topic here in general more then once  :U

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: Omega on November 10, 2007, 04:59:07 AM
This place is ruled with an iron hand and those who stick out gets the stick.

Really?  I always thought that they were kind of prudish.  I've been trying to get the stick for MONTHS and yet not even so much as a prod.

This is a forum about castlevania right?  I thought Vampires were in to that S&M shit.

Alondro

*Charline defies the power structure!*  Ha!  I'm posting here now!   :mwaha

*Charline is banned from teh Internets!  FOREVER!!*

Oh noes.   I should never have challenged the almighty Clockwork gods.  :<

PS:  Since when have rules for some basic Net civility been too harsh?  Get a grip.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on November 12, 2007, 03:21:05 AM

Really?  I always thought that they were kind of prudish.  I've been trying to get the stick for MONTHS and yet not even so much as a prod.

Well, we figured you'd enjoy it, so we're deliberately not applying it. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

TheGreyRonin

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 12, 2007, 10:17:00 AM
Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on November 12, 2007, 03:21:05 AM

Well, we figured you'd enjoy it, so we're deliberately not applying it. ;-]

You know the old joke, folks. The Masochist says "Beat me! Beat me!", the Sadist says "No."

Omega

Quote from: Feroluce on November 12, 2007, 02:51:11 AM
given that this is a fairly benign forum, does this show the reason you started this topic? to review power topics in general, or review the power structure in this forum in particular? forgive me for questioning your motives: This topic did start a lil deeper then what we are used to here. (maybe we need a philosophy forum? lol)
Questioning my motives? Why you sorry little piece of...
*ahem*
I'll let you know that my motives are as less selfish as something can be. Of course, I post for myself. To gain recognition. To gain attention. Everyone who go through the effort to write something in here aims for these. Otherwise, we'd all be lurching in a empty forum. But it is the concept of our words that matter. Our messages to others define who we are and what we stand for. When you press that 'post' button, you are sending a piece of your essence for other people to judge.

*burp*
that being said, the fact that a topic doesn't usually continue past two pages and stay on topic here, I think whats already here is all you are gonna get lol.
And that's more that I asked for. *joy*

funnily enough, this is also the first time I have seen Amber post in a topic here in general more then once  :U
You'd be supprised how many places this works. Doubting the system for luring the big shots down from their ivory tower  ;)
Not that was my intention, I had a feeling that this might happen.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Omega on November 12, 2007, 04:52:15 PM
Otherwise, we'd all be lurching in a empty forum.

This is the second time you've posted "lurching" - I'm not sure it means quite what you think it means.

I mean, I lurk in a fairly busy forum, I just lurk badly. The rest of these guys...

Quote from: Omega on November 12, 2007, 04:52:15 PM
You'd be supprised how many places this works. Doubting the system for luring the big shots down from their ivory tower  ;)
Not that was my intention, I had a feeling that this might happen.

Yeah, blatantly accusing the admins of bias and nepotism tends to get a response. Particularly if it's an accurate accusation.

In this case, we're just friendly, and are quite willing to entertain opposing opinions; we just get in first because most of us -are- here a lot, since it goes with the job. On the other hand, the forum rules basically boil down to Quia Ego Sic Dico, when you really get down to it. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Omega

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 12, 2007, 06:10:32 PM

This is the second time you've posted "lurching" - I'm not sure it means quite what you think it means.
Damn. I've been caught red handed. It is indeed a wrong word. Not once, but twice. The shame...
This of course means that I've misslearned a word.

The was supposed to be "lurk".

Fuyudenki

There's an ivory tower here where the mods reside, and never come down from?

*looks about*

where?  I see several mods, but no ivory tower.

:deadhorse
There is a deep significance in this smiley.  Try to comprehend it, if you can.

Darkmoon

The Ivory Tower is hidden so the normies can't see it.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...