10/10/07 [DMFA #830] - A whole new vein

Started by Caswin, October 09, 2007, 11:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rithm Alfortele

:B

Oh no, Amber has made a character gay, so she must automatically be enforcing comic stereotypes on herself.  Oh no.  Nevermind the character's interesting, was thought to be straight/bi for most of the comic, and the rest of the cast is straight (or unknown in one or two cases).

No, by this single comic, I lose faith in the amazing powers of Amber and renounce her because she made a character gay.

end sarcasm.

Seriously, anyone find this comic funny?
You have this serious moment, Lorenda hits an awkward moment...
and then Amber and Fluffy stumble upon a vein of awkward oil, thereby shattering the sad pace this strip had.

It's like... surprise funny.

And Abel x Jyrras sounds like it's made of awesome.

(And to the people who point out the comic Amber did earlier about "what makes a comic great"... there are two stereotypes to anything; the actual stereotype, and its opposite.  Conforming to either still makes you stereotypical :B so, yeah, give her a break here)

chaotik

Now this actually begs an interesting question: let's assume for a second Jyrras is bi, and his declaring himself gay is essentailly him giving up on women for the time being becasue his best chance for landing one just landed another crushing blow in a SERIES of crushing blows to his Ego. is he now essentially going to be shuffled off towards Abel, or will Lorenda experiance a change of heart herself?and if she didn't...well, short of intruducing an completely new character...what female WOULD Jyrras wind up forming a romatnic encounter/relationship with? Wildy?  (not TOTALLY out of the realm of possibility as a.) they're about the same size. b.) are both beings instead of creatures. c.)she could give Jyrras some much needed spine, and d.) they DO have an unresolved story arc.  Of course there is the matter that she kinda predicted all this with her freaking book.

or, on the other hand, maybe, cliched as it feels, Jyrras hit the nail on the head and all his romantic inclinations towards females really WERE him in a state of denial. (cuz gawd forbid there's a middle ground in sexuality...feh)  What are the chances that Abel would be remotely interested either?and if he isn't...will Jyrras give up on that too....or will the quasi-flirting seen so far evolve into a serious attempt out of what's essentailly romantic desperation?

Lots of possibilities.  Personally, I hope that Jyrras doesn't wind up taking the "Willow" approach to things and forget he ever had any intrest in the opposite gender whatsoever......hrmmph. denial can work both ways too, after all...especially if you'res tarting in the middle of the road.

Grenn

So how much per barrel can Amber sell awkwardness for? :D

Azlan

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Jim Halisstrad

Well, as my friend Silver once put it... by and large the furry fandom is Bi and Large.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Azlan on October 10, 2007, 02:37:17 AM
:cry I'm the only straight guy here...

You and me both.  :rolleyes

(I'm all alone in a room full of people. :< )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

chaotik

snrk...heh... that WOULD be....well, for this crowd, almost revolutionary won't it?  After going through some more angst, decide to HELL with what seems to be a conveniant pigeonhole and like girls after all? oh the horror.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: superluser on October 09, 2007, 11:43:23 PM
Quote from: MaskedRetriever on October 09, 2007, 11:37:53 PMWait-- he's not bi?

Frig.

He was sexually confused at one point, what's to make you think that he's not still?
I vote still confused.

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 10, 2007, 02:39:32 AM

Make that 3 of us stoog... I mean straights.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Am I the only one who was amused by the fact that Lorenda's answer to "I'm a moron..." was "Exactly!"?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 10, 2007, 04:05:49 AM
Am I the only one who was amused by the fact that Lorenda's answer to "I'm a moron..." was "Exactly!"?
To be blunt Tape...Yes..I saw it too..And a simple.."D'OH!" moment

LionHeart

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 10, 2007, 03:25:36 AM

Frig.

He was sexually confused at one point, what's to make you think that he's not still?
I vote still confused.
Seconded.

Four.

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 10, 2007, 04:05:49 AM
Lorenda answered what she thought he was going to say, before she realised he'd said something else.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Kuari

Quote from: LionHeart on October 10, 2007, 04:34:32 AM

Four.

Make that five *points to self*...  anyways, yeah, was funny how Lorenda was completely expecting him to say something else.

Feroluce

I guess 6. heh heh, yeah, interesting lil twist. I cant wait to see how it turns out from that evil twisty lil brain of Ambers.

computer nerd

Frig.

I vote still confused.

You and me both. 
Add 1 more   :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

If everyone who is straight stands up to be counted, this is going to be a very long thread. There's more than 600 users on the forum, after all. Even if only one in four is straight, that's still over a hundred fifty responses... or about 5 pages of -just- "me too". Can we take it as read that there are more than 4, and leave it at that?

Much appreciated...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

BarGamer

Oh noes! I still think Jyrras is cute! Am I gay too??  :cry

Angel

Hmmmm. Now I don't have the best gaydar in the world (my aunt has the best I've ever seen), but I guess it makes sense. Lack of interest in women... seemed really repressed up till this point... and was constantly attacked by girls. Not only that, but the cutest ones are usually gay, according to Ms. Murphy's Law.

As for the awkward... coulda been worse. She could've had a crush on him upon discovering he was gay.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

rt

Oh me oh my .. that is indeed a whole lot of awkward.
We must harness this power and use it for evil  :mwaha

lucas marcone

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 10, 2007, 07:46:06 AM
If everyone who is straight stands up to be counted, this is going to be a very long thread. There's more than 600 users on the forum, after all. Even if only one in four is straight, that's still over a hundred fifty responses... or about 5 pages of -just- "me too". Can we take it as read that there are more than 4, and leave it at that?

Much appreciated...

what no straight man's liberation front? awww...

man Jy just can't win, and Lorenda won't come out of this unscathed either.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: lucas marcone on October 10, 2007, 09:26:24 AM

I don't particularly want you liberating any straight man's front, or any gay man's front, for that matter...

chaotik

well, Amber did promise more "evil" (I'm assuming that refrs to plt twists" later this week...perhaps more events/info have yet to unfold.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 10, 2007, 09:47:43 AM

I don't particularly want you liberating any straight man's front, or any gay man's front, for that matter...

women's fronts, on the other hand, are fair game?  :P

King Of Hearts

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 10, 2007, 10:29:19 AM

Depends... Im more a leg man myself.

Alondro

The eavesdropping Fae will make sure Jyrras is raped by an Amazon, thus destroying his psyche entirely and causing him to go on a rampage in his gryphon mech, which will then lead to a Creature Council crackdown on all technology (and homosexuality) stating that it is evil and leads to beings getting all uppity and making independent films about gay cowboys eating pudding.    :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 10, 2007, 10:29:19 AM

I don't want him liberating those, either.

That'd be my job, if anyone. Either that or Darkmoon, and I think we'd be happy to share the responsibilities of such a terrible, draining, exhausting task... ;-]

AmigaDragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 10, 2007, 07:46:06 AMEven if only one in four is straight, that's still over a hundred fifty responses... or about 5 pages of -just- "me too". Can we take it as read that there are more than 4, and leave it at that?

Much appreciated...
I would have thought it was the other way around, that it's the gays that are rare. Are straight men that rare in the world? (It would certainly cut down on the population growth though.)
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Greyblade

</lurk>

Oh my god, it's my first relationship breakup all over again...  D=
...this should be good. >=3  *watch*

<lurk>

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 10, 2007, 10:59:43 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 10, 2007, 07:46:06 AMEven if only one in four is straight, that's still over a hundred fifty responses... or about 5 pages of -just- "me too". Can we take it as read that there are more than 4, and leave it at that?

Much appreciated...
I would have thought it was the other way around, that it's the gays that are rare. Are straight men that rare in the world? (It would certainly cut down on the population growth though.)

Yes, but this is the furry fandom we're talking about here... stereotypes aside, we're still talking about a fairly liberal cross-section whose only qualifying factor is that they're willing to admit they like brightly colored cartoon animals. You do the math.

thegayhare

*puts down the camera*
Awwww why not

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: thegayhare on October 10, 2007, 11:17:57 AM
*puts down the camera*
Awwww why not

-That- is why not. *points* You've not got any film in your camera.