System Upgrapes. Or something.

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, October 03, 2007, 12:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

According to this thread:

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=1977.0

Along about the beginning of the year, I was looking at the templates for the various themes on the forum.

It's an ugly job.

I've -just- got around to completing a sortof quick hack of a fix, which was applied to the Banquet, CVRPG, CursedPrison, Dungeon, and Gardens themes, as per had been applied to the DMFA theme some time ago.

Erm. Mid Feb.

*cough*

Er. Yeah. Sorry for the wait.

If anyone notices any problems, please post here. I may or may not be able to divine the magic code that is required to fix the issue, but I'll look into it, at least.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

This isn't quite what you're asking about but if you have a spare 16 hours or so, do you think you might be able to find out why the forum goes crazy when the session times out in mid-post?
Specifically the spurious 'You have already posted this message' error  :rolleyes

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm not sure.

Can you come up with a sequence of events to trigger this flaw? In my posting, I don't think I've seen it in upwards of 6 months or more...

That may be a volume thing, but I like to think I have a statistically significant sample of postings... ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2007, 12:34:43 PM
I'm not sure.

Can you come up with a sequence of events to trigger this flaw? In my posting, I don't think I've seen it in upwards of 6 months or more...

It's something like this:

Start posting, wait until the session times out and hit post.  The forum will ask you to log in.  Log in using a different window (since looking in in the provided window will break it in a different way).  Try to post again after the 30 second lock (which in itself is a bug IMHO) and it should say that this message has already been posted even though it hasn't.
At this point it's completely knackered so you have to start from scratch, copying the body of the message into a new post.

I'm not expecting miracles, but it is something that annoys me :P

Darkmoon

Well, the 30 second window is to prevent spamming. I hate it, but it's there.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

session time out length being what, 20 minutes or something?

(I'm not sure I can do anything, but I'm asking the questions so I can talk to someone who codes SMF and see if they might have some idea)

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 03, 2007, 04:03:37 PM
Well, the 30 second window is to prevent spamming. I hate it, but it's there.

That depends. 30 seconds delay on a post that hasn't been sent is a bug.

30 seconds on a post that -has- been sent is a configurable delay.

I think Tapewolf is talking about the former, rather than the latter.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Yeah, I'd been having that same problem as Tapewolf recently myself.

I notice you've fixed the Insert Quote function, which is awesome :3  As well as the spellcheck.

So Huzzah for you. :heart

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2007, 04:04:58 PM
session time out length being what, 20 minutes or something?

240 minutes.  I might set it to 'indefinite', but I do access the forum from up to four different machines (two at work, two at home) and IIRC it would get confused.  That was before the upgrade, mind - but I assumed it was losing track of the session cookie, and anyway, that's not what I'm complaining about :P

QuoteI think Tapewolf is talking about the former, rather than the latter.
It's not so much that, it's that the system thinks the post has been sent when it hasn't.  The 30-second lockout is one of several symptoms.

In a beautiful twist of fate, it happened while trying to post this.  Here is the precise message:

An Error Has Occurred!
You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh.

llearch n'n'daCorna

So... correct me if I'm wrong here, but you're saying:

1) start replying to a post (I'm presuming not in the Quick Reply area, right?)
2) stop for 4 hours
3) finish posting, hit send
4) System complains that some timeout has expired, and you've logged out, and asks you to log back in
5) logging back in in another window (so you don't lose your post) causes it to choke?

After this stage, the post that you try to send is declined on grounds of it's already been sent, but it hasn't been, and you have to go back and start again - albeit with the contents of the post handy to paste back in.

Am I following you correctly, here?

Is it 4 hours you have to wait for, or just until 4 hours after you logged in?

Sienna Maiu - M T

While I can not answer that question, I can comment that I've had it happen to me on occasion, and I certainly didn't have the screen open for any four hours.

Also, you fixed the Karma! (mine would always claim I had to sign out and then back in again, but that didn't work) So yay!

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2007, 05:32:44 PM240 minutes.  I might set it to 'indefinite', but I do access the forum from up to four different machines (two at work, two at home) and IIRC it would get confused.

Every time I've tried it, it's been OK.

Heck, I've even posted while simultaneously logged in with lynx and Firefox on the same machine.

Now, let's try that quotefast...Yay!  Works!  Slowly, but still.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2007, 07:35:42 PM
So... correct me if I'm wrong here, but you're saying:
1) start replying to a post (I'm presuming not in the Quick Reply area, right?)
I've never seen a 'Quick Reply' on this board, so probably not, no.

2) stop for 4 hours
3) finish posting, hit send
4) System complains that some timeout has expired, and you've logged out, and asks you to log back in
5) logging back in in another window (so you don't lose your post) causes it to choke?

Yes, except that you don't have to stop for four hours.  (That would be silly).  A 240 minute session lasts 4 hours from the time you logged in - regardless of activity - so all you have to do is be unfortunate enough to try and post towards the end of the 4-hour block.

QuoteAfter this stage, the post that you try to send is declined on grounds of it's already been sent, but it hasn't been, and you have to go back and start again - albeit with the contents of the post handy to paste back in.
Yes.

QuoteIs it 4 hours you have to wait for, or just until 4 hours after you logged in?
4 hours after login.

Damaris

Just as a note- I use indefinite login, on multiple computers, and have never, ever had a problem.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Fuyudenki

quotes and karma are fixed, that's all I was really concerned about.

I, likewise, use indefinite login on my home computer.  At school, it doesn't really matter, since I never use a given computer for more than a couple of hours at a time, so I'll have to login again when I come back, anyway.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Damaris on October 04, 2007, 10:49:02 AM
Just as a note- I use indefinite login, on multiple computers, and have never, ever had a problem.

Likewise, although I will note that it seems to decide to log me out every so often anyway.

Usually when I'm not reading, so...

From the code, though, logins from multiple different places have different session id's, so the server seems to keep things organised correctly anyway. Just in case you were interested.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 04, 2007, 11:53:16 AM
From the code, though, logins from multiple different places have different session id's, so the server seems to keep things organised correctly anyway. Just in case you were interested.

What if two of them are sharing the same DSL router?  Won't they both appear as the same IP?

xHaZxMaTx

I can use indefinite login on 3 computers sharing the same router without any problems.

Tapewolf

I'm going to try the indefinite login thing.  By the way, I think I've just found another way to reproduce that problem.  It looks like logging in counts as a 'post'.  I can almost see the logic behind that from an antispam point of view, but anyway.  What I did was this:

1. Started up the mac and firefox.  I mention this because it's the first time I've logged in from this machine today.

2. Went to the forum, browsed as guest, and read Hazmat's reply above.

3. Logged in (with it now set to 'remain logged in'), went immediately to the thread and tried to post 'Okay, I'll give it a go and see what happens.'

The forum spat it out saying that I'd already posted within 30 seconds (which is BS, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume logging in has a 30s window as I mentioned above).
Then, when I hit the back button to try again, it did the 'you have already submitted this post' error.

Is that any use/interest?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 04, 2007, 12:19:06 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 04, 2007, 11:53:16 AM

What if two of them are sharing the same DSL router?  Won't they both appear as the same IP?

IP is not session id. A session id is a server-assigned 32-character hexidecimal string. It's generated from ip address, some env variables, and a time stamp, and a random number. I think.

Suffice it to say that two browsers on the same machine have different session id's, and can log in independently.

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 04, 2007, 02:03:47 PM
Is that any use/interest?

It might be. It's -way- over my head, I'm just collecting a way of triggering it so I can take it back to the SMF folks.

Ryudo Lee

I get that "You already submitted this post" error too, almost like how Tape just described.  If I make a post in one thread and then move to another and try to make a quick post within 30 seconds, I get that message about making two posts within 30 seconds, and I'm sitting there looking at a Post reply form with my message in it.  So if I let it sit and then hit Post I get that "You already submitted this post", even though I haven't because it told me I couldn't because of that 30 second thing.  This happens to me because I end up typing without thinking about the time it takes me to type.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Darkmoon

I get that too. I just copy and paste it into a new blank. Never bothered me before.

superluser

I hope this doesn't count as necroing, but smilies aren't showing up for me for some reason.  The even weirder thing is that they show up on the preview page, but they don't show up on the actual thread page.

For example, the following

:<

looks like in the preview pane, and in Topic Summary, but in the thread proper, it's going to come out as "cat fish" sad face (Edit: so it did).  It's not just my posts, either, but on everyone's messages.

Are more upgrades currently in progress?

DarkAudit

Quote from: superluser on October 31, 2007, 10:18:03 PM
I hope this doesn't count as necroing, but smilies aren't showing up for me for some reason.  The even weirder thing is that they show up on the preview page, but they don't show up on the actual thread page.

For example, the following

:<

looks like in the preview pane, and in Topic Summary, but in the thread proper, it's going to come out as "cat fish" sad face (Edit: so it did).  It's not just my posts, either, but on everyone's messages.

Are more upgrades currently in progress?

It's not just you. I'm seeing the same thing here. Browser is Firefox 2.0.0.8. Running XP Media Center Edition.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

xHaZxMaTx

Same problem here.  Just an FYI - they show up as broken image links in the IE tab extension in Firefox.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes, there was an upgrade. No, it shouldn't have affected anything. I'll look into it now.

...pause...

Ah. Hrm.

Edit: There we go. All fixed.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 31, 2007, 10:49:45 PMEdit: There we go. All fixed.

Since independent confirmation is good...

Yes, it is fixed.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Okay, so using the link for "more emotes" I find that the scroll-across bar has been replaced with a new format.

I merely felt the need to come in and congratulate/thank whoever was responsible *snicker* because this is one of those finer details which... make me suprizingly happy. I'm weird like that, I guess.

Damaris

I thought that had been that way for a long time...

It had in firefox at least.  Hm.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

And no other browsers matter, of course.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 21, 2007, 10:01:14 PM
Okay, so using the link for "more emotes" I find that the scroll-across bar has been replaced with a new format.

I merely felt the need to come in and congratulate/thank whoever was responsible *snicker* because this is one of those finer details which... make me suprizingly happy. I'm weird like that, I guess.

You mean the slightly wider window?

... we did that back in February, I thought. Or sometime around then...