25/8/7 Abel 96: Regards to the cleaner

Started by Fex, August 25, 2007, 01:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 25, 2007, 08:23:04 AM
Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on August 25, 2007, 07:58:48 AM
Wow... And I happened to listen to the Lord of the Rings music when I read that... I can only say, evil...
Which one?  Bo Hansson's album from 1970?  Stephen Oliver's theme music from 1980?  :P

QuoteThat sounds interesting. I didn't know the wing heads had anything to do with the clan relationship. Could you give a link for an interested "long time newbie" where this is explained?
I think it comes from Aary's Livejournal, and therefore is kind of apocryphal.  There have been a few subtle comments from Amber which lend support to the theory, but I don't have those to hand.

http://aary-kitty.livejournal.com/
(April 12 2005)

I remember reading something about this in the nice forum, so that would be the place to look for the reference.  You can find the nice forum archive here http://nice.llearch.net/

If I remember correctly it had to do with the clan leader casting a spell that gave their clan the heads on their wing tentacles.  And it was a very powerful spell so it is a sign of a powerful clan.

Naldru

Just a thought.

This is Aniz with tentacles.
This is Aaryanna with tentacles.

The tentacles look similar.  Do you think they could be related?  If they are, that would also mean that Abel and Aaryanna are related.

For comparison
Destania with tentacles.
Dan with tentacles.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Wanderer

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 25, 2007, 04:06:06 AM
Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 25, 2007, 03:44:39 AM
Abel?

Because at least we'll be sure he'd live trough it.

You have nooOoooOoOoOooo idea how much I toyed with the idea of trying to find a way to kill off Abel in his own backstory. :B
You're a moderately evil person.

I don't suppose it would be possible to have Hennya NOT die... would it?

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Naldru on August 25, 2007, 11:25:45 AM
Just a thought.

*stuff*

Here we go back in Conspiracyland, again.  Aren't we trying to avoid that place?

You have nooOoooOoOoOooo idea how much I toyed with the idea of trying to find a way to kill off Abel in his own backstory. :B

I like it, and I can think of 2 or 3 ways to pull it off just off the top of my head, without even breaking continuity.(in addition to the already-mentioned "Present-day Abel is really Aniz in disguise... again")

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Naldru on August 25, 2007, 11:25:45 AM
Just a thought.

This is Aniz with tentacles.
This is Aaryanna with tentacles.

The tentacles look similar.  Do you think they could be related?  If they are, that would also mean that Abel and Aaryanna are related.

For comparison
Destania with tentacles.
Dan with tentacles.
It seems like just a 'cubi trait. Besides, Abel displayed the same ability, but Aary's seem a bit different.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

GabrielsThoughts

looks at rant.... Okay, Amber I think your a bit paranoid, the idea that anyone thinks your personal rant is about anybody but yourself is unlikely. and this concept of "wangst" baffles and confuses me...are you talking about rolling around in the severed parts of male phallus?

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Madmann135

For the classic cleaners joke I give Hennya 5 style points, the sudden attack but not a good follow through still gets her 15 style points but 30 courage points.

I'm actually hoping that Aniz dies of blood loss, dies of heart attack, defeated by random mind crush, falls unconscious, gets hit by meteor, electrocuted by faulty wiring, Murphy death, dies from a sudden attack of adventurers, attacked by pixies, or something along those lines where he is quickly defeated, Hennya survives making a quick and complete recovery.  Able and May somehow get past this fiasco and manage to live on with their lives.

I don't want Hennya to die, I'm still rooting for her.
"GO HENNYA!!!, GO HENNYA!!!  KICK THAT EVIL DEMON'S TAIL!  BE OUR HERO!!!" 
(technically cubi are considered to be of the demonic kind)

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Stygian

[coughs and ahems]

KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL...!

No, really. Talk about things falling into place here. Now, if only every cubi could have a childhood like that...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on August 25, 2007, 12:48:46 PM
I'm actually hoping that Aniz dies ... or something along those lines where he is quickly defeated, Hennya survives making a quick and complete recovery.  Able and May somehow get past this fiasco and manage to live on with their lives.

That would be almost as mindbending as Abel dying.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Which one?  Bo Hansson's album from 1970?  Stephen Oliver's theme music from 1980?  :P
Argh! You got me! No, in this case I simply meant the chorals of the soundtrack from Peter Jackson's interpretation. (The Weathertop scene of the first part, to be exact). But I can say to my defense that I read the books long before the real-action movies came out at least, and am thus none of the "nice fantasy flick" people.

I think it comes from Aary's Livejournal, and therefore is kind of apocryphal.  There have been a few subtle comments from Amber which lend support to the theory, but I don't have those to hand.

http://aary-kitty.livejournal.com/
(April 12 2005)
The "characters are real people" concept is still good for surprises I see. Didn't know she is still so actively taking part in the story. Thanks for the info, things make sense now.

Naldru

I looked at the rant again, and came to the same conclusion that I did before.  I don't want to put words in Amber's mouth, but the following is my understanding of the situation.  It is also similar to feelings that I have heard expressed by a number of other people.

Amber is annoyed by people contacting her, believing that she has the secret knowledge of cartooning successfully and finding happiness.  Doing anything well, whether producing a webcomic, being a chef, or being a manager, is hard work.  (There are some managers who believe that they are doing well while not working hard, but the truth is that they are usually very poor managers.)  If you're not getting satisfaction from the work, Amber's statement is that you should try something else.  Don't expect somebody to come up with a secret method for reducing the amount of effort and don't expect sympathy for the fact that it's hard work.

I believe that it was Michelangelo who made a statement that he was sick and tired of people saying how sculpture and painting was so easy for him, and that he wished that they could all spend a day in his studio so that they could see how hard he worked.

She also doesn't want to supply a shoulder for the correspondents to cry on.  She isn't a social worker, and she has enough headaches of her own.

I am adding this edit for a discussion of Abel's story rather than start another entry.

If Hennya survives through next week's strip without serious injury, I believe that she will be alive at the end of the day, as will all of the other people currently in the house.  If Aniz really wants to kill somebody, now would be the time to go all out.

It is my belief that Amber has one or two plot twists in the works.  If I told you what I think one of them will be, you'll claim I'm crazy.  (I may be crazy already, but I'm not stupid.)  There is also the possibility that Amber will read all of our proposed plot lines, and make sure that the final plot is "none of the above".
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Aurawyn on August 25, 2007, 10:06:41 AM
Maybe.. abel will save her.. somehow...  :mowignore  :mowsad

How?

"Teeth! Teeth! He's a biter!" ?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Angel

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Alondro

Quote from: King Of Hearts on August 25, 2007, 03:44:39 AM
Abel?

Because at least we'll be sure he'd live trough it.

Silly Amber!  You could do what the comics do!  Kill EVERYONE... and then have Reed Richards' ultra-mega-godlike-powered son respawn everyone.  Kinda like the Supermegatopia heroes.  Oh, and the villains come back just because they don't obey silly laws like death!   :3

*Charline looks at comic*  Heh heh heh... ho ho  ho... HAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!  :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rithm Alfortele

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 25, 2007, 08:05:05 PM
Quote from: Aurawyn on August 25, 2007, 10:06:41 AM
Maybe.. abel will save her.. somehow...  :mowignore  :mowsad

How?

"Teeth! Teeth! He's a biter!" ?

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. XD

I can imagine it now.

Aniz: I am going to kill you, girl, slowly and painfull-- ACK!  TEETH!! TEEETH!! HE'S A BITER!!

chaotik

Yeah....I must admit, other than an outright state of denial, I have yet to see ANY proof to the contrary that the cubi race is exclusively comprised of complete sh**s.  Which is odd, considering he's the one in 

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_524.php

who gives the line about cubi who help cheer up sick kids.  I'll believe it when I see it...until then I have yet to find a valid counterargument against genocide.

I wish Hennya WOULD wind up being the hero of the piece...but considering how we KNOW the story has to end with Abel at the adademy, short  of Aniz showing mercy (yeah, right) or somebody more powerful than either of them swooping in for an enforced time out (SLIGHTLY possible) she's going to die for the temerity of trying to defend her friends from a sadistic murderer.

Is it me, or were Amber Panyako/Williams's comics once more cheerful than cheerfully sadistic and siding more with the monsters than the adventureres? meh.

Caswin

Quote from: chaotik on August 25, 2007, 10:18:22 PM
Yeah....I must admit, other than an outright state of denial, I have yet to see ANY proof to the contrary that the cubi race is exclusively comprised of complete sh**s.
What about Dan?
Quote from: chaotik on August 25, 2007, 10:18:22 PMshe's going to die for the temerity of trying to defend her friends from a sadistic murderer.
...y'know, now that I think about it, if that's how it turns out, that does seem less "tragic" than "depressing".
Quote from: chaotik on August 25, 2007, 10:18:22 PMIs it me, or were Amber Panyako/Williams's comics once more cheerful than cheerfully sadistic and siding more with the monsters than the adventureres? meh.
I don't remember anything about siding with them.  They're unnervingly on top of things, with a few too many fans (for my taste, anyway) seeming to be on their side for some reason, but the comic itself generally sides with the non-monstrous heroes, doesn't it?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Alondro

*Charles erfs*  I would side with the heroes but...

*Charline looms overhead*  >:3

*Charles whimpers pitifully*  But then I'd get tortured even more.   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Caswin

Quote from: Alondro on August 25, 2007, 10:34:49 PM*Charles whimpers pitifully*  But then I'd get tortured even more.   :<
Ayah.

I genuinely wonder how much of that there would be going around if we actually got to see 'cubi torturing innocents to death rather than just hear them joke about it.

EDIT: Or, heck, just the consequences.  Either way.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

ChaoSynergy

Is it too late to return wedding gifts?

Also,

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 25, 2007, 04:06:06 AMYou have nooOoooOoOoOooo idea how much I toyed with the idea of trying to find a way to kill off Abel in his own backstory. :B

Zedd

Quote from: ChaoSynergy on August 26, 2007, 01:48:08 AM
Is it too late to return wedding gifts?

Also,

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 25, 2007, 04:06:06 AMYou have nooOoooOoOoOooo idea how much I toyed with the idea of trying to find a way to kill off Abel in his own backstory. :B

Perfect  >:3

Fex

or Azlan's demon koala bear will save them with his SQUEEK OFF DOOM

Tapewolf

Yeah....I must admit, other than an outright state of denial, I have yet to see ANY proof to the contrary that the cubi race is exclusively comprised of complete sh**s.
That's a nice thing to call RJ.   >:3

QuoteI have yet to find a valid counterargument against genocide.
As far as I'm aware, we've met around six 'Cubi to any degree of depth, or approximately 0.02% of the total 'Cubi population.  Would you judge an entire race on that?  I wouldn't.

It's not in any way canon but I invite you to check out some of my writings, which can be found in the tower of art.  I don't want to put up a direct link - unless asked - because it feels too much like a plug.  There is a link to the original 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn' series in my .signature though.
One of my design goals (particularly in 'Future History') was to explore positive uses for soul-stealing.  This is not to say that the principal character is strictly a good guy.  It's not exactly a black-and-white thing.  ("I've seen good men do evil things.  I've seen evil men who tried to do good." -- White Wolf, David Gemmell)

I will say that from my experiences of writing it, it's a lot more fun to write him when he's being evil.  The same may apply to Amber as well.

Quote...or somebody more powerful than either of them swooping in for an enforced time out (SLIGHTLY possible)
My money's on Kria for that occurrence.

QuoteIs it me, or were Amber Panyako/Williams's comics once more cheerful than cheerfully sadistic and siding more with the monsters than the adventureres? meh.
You can tell from the cover that Abel's Story is not a happy one.
As for whether the mainline strip is becoming more sadistic... difficult to say.  Personally I think you're looking at it with rose-tinted glasses.
In the DvP arc Dan died, if only for a few moments.  Dark Pegasus died a bloody death.  Then not many strips later, Merlitz met something that tried to eat his soul.
Then there's Lorenda and Kria, who have both been pictured several times either immediately before or after a murder.
In the Disasters arc, Dan is accused of murder. Aary tries to kill him and would probably have lopped his head off "like a dandelion" if Merlitz hadn't given her the idea of torturing him to death.  Dan discovers he's a soul-eating monster himself.  Later he is kidnapped, dragged off to SAIA and is nearly driven insane.

Now we have Albanion branding Jyrras and threatening him with misery and Destania planning 'the end of the dragon race' - which is not necessarily genocide.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 04:16:49 AM
That's a nice thing to call RJ.   >:3

QuoteI have yet to find a valid counterargument against genocide.
As far as I'm aware, we've met around six 'Cubi to any degree of depth, or approximately 0.02% of the total 'Cubi population.  Would you judge an entire race on that?  I wouldn't.

It's not in any way canon but I invite you to check out some of my writings, which can be found in the tower of art.  I don't want to put up a direct link - unless asked - because it feels too much like a plug.  There is a link to the original 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn' series in my .signature though.
One of my design goals (particularly in 'Future History') was to explore positive uses for soul-stealing.  This is not to say that the principal character is strictly a good guy.  It's not exactly a black-and-white thing.  ("I've seen good men do evil things.  I've seen evil men who tried to do good." -- White Wolf, David Gemmell)

I will say that from my experiences of writing it, it's a lot more fun to write him when he's being evil.  The same may apply to Amber as well.

Quote...or somebody more powerful than either of them swooping in for an enforced time out (SLIGHTLY possible)
My money's on Kria for that occurrence.

QuoteIs it me, or were Amber Panyako/Williams's comics once more cheerful than cheerfully sadistic and siding more with the monsters than the adventureres? meh.
You can tell from the cover that Abel's Story is not a happy one.
As for whether the mainline strip is becoming more sadistic... difficult to say.  Personally I think you're looking at it with rose-tinted glasses.
In the DvP arc Dan died, if only for a few moments.  Dark Pegasus died a bloody death.  Then not many strips later, Merlitz met something that tried to eat his soul.
Then there's Lorenda and Kria, who have both been pictured several times either immediately before or after a murder.
In the Disasters arc, Dan is accused of murder. Aary tries to kill him and would probably have lopped his head off "like a dandelion" if Merlitz hadn't given her the idea of torturing him to death.  Dan discovers he's a soul-eating monster himself.  Later he is kidnapped, dragged off to SAIA and is nearly driven insane.

Now we have Albanion branding Jyrras and threatening him with misery and Destania planning 'the end of the dragon race' - which is not necessarily genocide.

All I want to them know is this...Some cubi out there..Some choose to be sinister and some others..Well they make their own path

rabid_fox

Seriously. Worst - Day - Ever. Anyone ever complains about a phonecall from an annoying co-worker needs a long hard talk with Abel.

Oh dear.

Rafe

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on August 25, 2007, 05:17:02 PM
Argh! You got me! No, in this case I simply meant the chorals of the soundtrack from Peter Jackson's interpretation. (The Weathertop scene of the first part, to be exact). But I can say to my defense that I read the books long before the real-action movies came out at least, and am thus none of the "nice fantasy flick" people.

What about Leonard Nimoy's 1968 classic "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"?  How could you forget that? Or not reference his lip-synced TV version (now on YouTube!).  No true LOTR fan should be without it.

Rafe

Caswin

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 04:16:49 AMDan discovers he's a soul-eating monster himself.
DahDahDahdahdah.  :V

Dan is not a soul-eating monster.  He has the potential to be one, and doubtless there are 'cubi out there who would like him to think he has no choice, but I've seen no reason so far for him to actually go down that path.
Yap yap.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Caswin on August 26, 2007, 09:19:56 AM
Dan is not a soul-eating monster.  He has the potential to be one, and doubtless there are 'cubi out there who would like him to think he has no choice, but I've seen no reason so far for him to actually go down that path.
Naturally.  I don't really see Abel doing that either, but that's how Dan's going to view himself.

In actual fact it seems to be the case that soul-stealing is something that is taught, so although 'Cubi have a bad rep for doing it, Demons and Angels probably can too (what's Lorenda's surname?).  But this is an aside.  I was really trying to point out that the main strip has had dark moments before.  But I'm sure you knew that :P

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 09:31:23 AM
Naturally.  I don't really see Abel doing that either, but that's how Dan's going to view himself.

In actual fact it seems to be the case that soul-stealing is something that is taught, so although 'Cubi have a bad rep for doing it, Demons and Angels probably can too (what's Lorenda's surname?).  But this is an aside.  I was really trying to point out that the main strip has had dark moments before.  But I'm sure you knew that :P
And I know very well some of them choose to steal souls to survive

Caswin

Quote from: Zedd on August 26, 2007, 02:11:46 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 09:31:23 AM

And I know very well some of them choose to steal souls to survive
Even though they can survive for centuries if not millenia (it's one of those) on harmless emotion-feeding - no torture, no death.
Yap yap.