Kid whines on plane, gets booted off, is the new Satan

Started by superluser, July 15, 2007, 05:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Parents, please control your kids.  Here's a story about a kid who was misbehaving on a flight, and got booted off.  The mother then has the audacity to go on Good Morning America to get sympathy for her little devil child.

The child was crying, whining, kicking, climbing all over the furniture, and throwing things around.  Don't believe it?

Watch the video.

It is apparent that whoever submitted this to Digg has never seen a 19-month-old before.  This is perfectly normal behavior for a 19-month old.  I've seen worse from my brother's kids when they're on their best behavior.

I don't know what happened on that flight, but if the kid were acting anything like he was on that show, the flight attendant who booted them off should be looking for a new line of work.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

Yeah, there was a story similar to this one a while back. Can't remember the details, but it was about same kind of situation.

And your stance on this has been left somewhat ambiguous, superluser. Are you saying the flight attendant was right or wrong in booting this kid and parents who couldn't control him off?

Reese Tora

thought this was going to be the story about a mother and child who were booted off of a flight becasue the mother refused to drug her child (who kept saying "bye bye, plane")

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/07/12/4334316-ap.html
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on July 15, 2007, 05:31:16 PMthought this was going to be the story about a mother and child who were booted off of a flight becasue the mother refused to drug her child (who kept saying "bye bye, plane")

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/07/12/4334316-ap.html

It is.

The ambiguity in the original post was to get you wound up to see the video of what people are seem to think is the spawn of Satan himself, and then to see a cute little kid acting like a cute little kid.  I think the people who say that the kid is spazzing out are silly, have never seen a 19-month-old, and should move out of Mommy's basement.

techmaster-glitch

Still not entirely sure of your stance, but I'll say mine.
Like you said in your first sentance; Parents should be able to control their kids better. If their kid is going crazy like that, what you said, 'crying, whining, kicking, climbing all over the furniture, and throwing things around', that's not normal. Parnet's can't really be expected to keep their kids from, like drawing on the walls occasionally, tearing up something important, or small-scale quiet destruction. Parents generaly teach their kids quick not to do things like that, but a kid doing something like that is perfectly normal. The first years for a human child is their 'curiosity' years, when they are doing everything imaginable to everything they can get their hands on, and then some.
Throwing a tanturm is entirely different. Almost every kid does throw one at some point in their life, but that is a situation where a parent must quickly act and teach them that they can't do that. I've heard too many stories and known too many people who failed to properly enforce dicipline on their children, and wound up with spoiled brats who fake cry ever time they don't get what they want.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 15, 2007, 06:54:57 PMI've heard too many stories and known too many people who failed to properly enforce dicipline on their children, and wound up with spoiled brats who fake cry ever time they don't get what they want.
You've met my little cousin? :U

Anyway, if the flight attendant was fed up with a little kid, I don't see how she could ever manage to handle... well, anything else. :/

Zedd

Ah well..Simple sevice people probley just disgruntled

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 15, 2007, 06:54:57 PMStill not entirely sure of your stance, but I'll say mine.

You're not sure of my stance?  OK.  For the rest of this message, there will be no sarcasm.  I will be dead serious.

The kid in the video is behaving like a normal 19-month-old.  He's probably been cooped up in the studio under hot lights for at least an hour or so, and he's confused and curious.  He's trying to get away from his mother so that he can go explore this new place.  He's not out of control or doing anything that would require discipline.

If that sort of behavior bothers you, then you should move in with Felix Ungar and never have kids, because you're going to be driven through the roof by what they do.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 15, 2007, 06:54:57 PMParnet's can't really be expected to keep their kids from, like drawing on the walls occasionally,

Actually, parents should be expected to keep kids this young from drawing on the walls, because any implements with which they could draw on the walls could also be choking hazards.  You'll notice that Diane Sawyer takes a pen off the table for just that reason.

Like I said, I don't know what happened on that plane, but in the video, the kid wasn't uncontrollable, nor was he throwing a tantrum.  I've seen kids like that, and this was not one of them.

There's a story that we still occasionally tell in my family about a trip where we stopped at a KFC.  Inside, there was a kid throwing around a superball.  Off the ceiling, behind the counter, off glass display cases--that was a(n older) kid in need of some discipline.  We weren't the ones to provide it, because it wasn't our kid, and we were all a little punchy from a long day and hours of being cooped up in the car, so we thought it was funny.

Damaris

If it takes three people to entertain a child, and they're still whiney, then quite possibly those children should be kept at home.  That child should never have been on an airplane.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Zina

If I had a nickel for every 'unruly' child that I've had to sit near during a flight, I'd be a rich woman.
I'm pretty shocked by the flight attendant's behavior. Usually the flight attendants are sweet and helpful, especially with younger kids. And making the plane turn around just to kick the child and mother off is just going to be an inconvenience to everyone else on the plane.
Screaming children are exactly what headphones are for.

lucas marcone

Cvstos

Depends on how bad the kid really was during the flight.  Although I don't think that this particular instance was an example, it is entirely possible for a kid to be moving around too much to be safe during flight. 
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Aridas

In the video, the kid pushes the shuttlething off the table and tries to go over the table to get it. when he's pulled back is where the fit-taking begins. I'm wondering about things.

lucas marcone

like super said. he was behaveing like a normal 19 year old. he was probably in the studio half to an hour before the segment. normal people dont like the hot lights and cameras in their faces. and what they show is just the set the real building is more like a dusty factory. he wants to find out what this place is where he can go and what he can do. when they try to keep him fron doing these things he become scared and confused.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: lucas marcone on July 16, 2007, 11:27:29 AM
...he was behaveing like a normal 19 year old....

... while that wasn't quite what I think you meant, it's far too accurate to let slip by. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zorro

Works for me!

I really wish they would just ban kids on planes and their lousy assed parents too.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Personally, I think kids are just fine. The only time my son has been a problem is on the 12-hour flights, two of, back-to-back. And that's just because it's a long, boring flight, there's not a lot he can do, and there's only so much tv he can watch before he gets bored and starts fidgeting.

Since he's reasonably active, he tends to get bored easily. Last time, he spent much of the time doing round trips of the plane - walking up and down because he could, and because, I think, he was testing how the turbulence affected his balance. That and seeing what everyone else was doing...

*shrug* I've had him throwing up every time we took off - now, that was a hell flight. I remember him heaving his cookies, back when he was 18 months or so, and the attendant asking us (while holding a screaming, vomiting child at arms length, frantically looking for things to have him throw up in, or to clean up with) "Do you want your meals now?" And when we asked for something to clean up with, they brought back paper towel. Not towels, towel. Just the one. For a puddle that was a good two feet across...

The kid has his problems to deal with, as well. At 19 months, you can't ask him to swallow, to release the pain in his ears, from the pressure change. There's noise all around, which you can bet is not his normal situation - many parents seem to feel that they must keep silent for the kid to sleep; oddly enough, this rebounds into a child that wakes up at any noise at all. (heehee, I remember being at my mother-in-laws, which backed onto the local volunteer fire station, with son asleep in bed in the next room when the siren went off. That thing is audible 90km away, and he didn't even blink. We couldn't even talk through it without shouting. *grin*) He may have been woken early to get to the airport, where he's been stuck in a queue for two hours or more, and can't run around. So he may well be tired, grumpy, and bored before he even sits down on the plane. And his favourite toys are probably packed, as well.

Add these together, and any child will be fractious. It's just the nature of the beast. *shrug*

techmaster-glitch

Why not make sure he's completely worn out before getting on, so he naps the whole time on the plane?

llearch n'n'daCorna

... so you have to go through the queues with a grumpy, tired, un-settle-able child, instead of a reasonably biddable one?

Yes, that sounds like a plan. Let's not forget he's not going to sleep, because there's so much interesting things going on, and the noise, and the people disrupting him to offer him a meal... Or there's the carrying him onto the plane. Along with his bag, your bag, and your excess stuff.

Have you ever picked a child up? Your carry-on bag, at 5 or so kilos. A child, a dead weight at 15-20 kilos. His bag, containing books and food and excess toys and his teddy that he won't sleep without and whatever else he wanted to play with on the plane, perhaps 7-8 kilos. And all through the little narrow way between the seats. And if you knock him, he'll wake up and be grumpy all over again.

And I'm assuming you're thinking short-haul, here. On the 24-hour flights back to NZ, two 12 hour legs with 2 hours in customs and immigration at LAX in the middle, there's no -way- he's gonna sleep that long. Even if he -is- tired...

Yeah. I'll pass, thanks.

Boog

Well, people are getting better at condensing topic titles to the good stuff. Wasn't able to see the video because my computer is crap, but that sort of thing doesn't sound too abnormal for a 19 month old. The stewardess suggesting benedryl was way out of line though; medication doesn't replace good parenting, and suggesting that someone drug their kid is just not something you do unasked.

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zedd on July 16, 2007, 09:12:33 PM
The kid years later..>:3

Bwahahahahaha. I tell you, that kid had to have had a -ball- doing that. How often are you going to get to wander into a supermarket and rip things off the shelves, throw them around, etc etc.

Of course, the parent has shown -no- idea of how to control a kid. You start with "I said no. Now move on." and work you way rapidly up to physically removing said child from the situation... including telling the child you're revoking privileges, and then making damn sure you -do- revoke said privileges. Otherwise next time, the child will think that when you say no, it means they can carry on.

Bear in mind there -will- be a testing period, while the child is figuring out how far he can push you before you stop him. Nailing that in stone in the first week is -damn- hard, but well worth it.

lucas marcone

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 16, 2007, 12:22:37 PM
...he was behaveing like a normal 19 year old....

... while that wasn't quite what I think you meant, it's far too accurate to let slip by. :-]

isn't it? come to PA and take a look in the preppy homes  ;)

Aridas

normal people dont like the hot lights and cameras in their faces. and what they show is just the set the real building is more like a dusty factory. he wants to find out what this place is where he can go and what he can do. when they try to keep him fron doing these things he become scared and confused.
Except that's not actually what was going on to start it off.

Alondro

Meh, I was a well-behaved child.  But my mom knew how to discipline in a manner that actually worked.  Well, there was that and the fact that I was a super-genius who hated the stupid little brats my own age.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

lucas marcone

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on July 17, 2007, 03:58:57 AM
normal people dont like the hot lights and cameras in their faces. and what they show is just the set the real building is more like a dusty factory. he wants to find out what this place is where he can go and what he can do. when they try to keep him fron doing these things he become scared and confused.

how do you figure? im talking in the studio during the interview where people say they see the kids "disruptive tendencies".
on the plane like llearch said the kid is tired bored grupmy but most of all confined. it's like a giant time out for the kid. by the way llearch has some really good tips on parenting in here guys be sure to take note.

Brunhidden

In the future commercial airlines will be sectioned off into little cubicles- and locked down before takeoff. no screaming kids shall bother you unless they're yours, no elderly grandma with a nail clippers will hijack the plane, and no confused Arabs will be able to flush their cellphones down the toilet in the misconception it will make shampoo explode.

and as for zedds screaming child, thats the point i usually recommend hoisting them under your arm like a football, tantrums usually loose thier steam when you take away the ability to throw stuff and seek people to tantrum in front of for the 'my daddy is mean, glare at him till he buys me stuff' effect. Occasionally i even use it on my wife when she puts up a fuss at the mall.

QuoteFor that which is born death is certain, and for the dead birth is certain. Therefore grieve not over that which is unavoidable.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on July 17, 2007, 12:42:12 PM
Occasionally i even use it on my wife when she puts up a fuss at the mall.

I would pay money to see that in action.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Aridas

Quote from: lucas marcone on July 17, 2007, 12:41:37 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on July 17, 2007, 03:58:57 AM

how do you figure? im talking in the studio during the interview where people say they see the kids "disruptive tendencies".
on the plane like llearch said the kid is tired bored grupmy but most of all confined. it's like a giant time out for the kid. by the way llearch has some really good tips on parenting in here guys be sure to take note.
What does all that random gibberish have to do with it? Especially the part about being on the plane, since llearch wasn't there to see it.

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on July 17, 2007, 06:42:44 PMWhat does all that random gibberish have to do with it? Especially the part about being on the plane, since llearch wasn't there to see it.

Some people are saying that the kid was being a little horror in the studio, and he obviously wasn't.

They're also suggesting that the kid was uncontrollable on the plane.  What we're saying is that in both situations, it's reasonable to expect the kid to be a little wound up, since he is going to be confused and curious.