Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC) [PG/14] - Open - New players welcome!

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 07, 2007, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 23, 2007, 11:55:35 AM
And everyone seems to ignore what he says anyway  :rolleyes

-I- listen. Not that that's terribly helpful, I'll admit. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

There seems to be a large disparage between what people want out of the RP and what they appear to be getting from it.  A few advocate the hack-and-slash route, but that degrades quickly and becomes passe after awhile, so I would hope it is meted out fairly modestly.  

I've always looked at the big picture, actions now can cause repercussions in the future and make things more difficult.  Games need to be played as if they were life, not a set of acts and action scenes.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Catffeinated

Quote from: Azlan on July 23, 2007, 12:26:08 PM
I've always looked at the big picture, actions now can cause repercussions in the future and make things more difficult. Games need to be played as if they were life, not a set of acts and action scenes.

Yes, I could see this RP as a game of chess really, you must be more than three steps ahead, and thinking about any consequences from your actions, or from anyone else's for that matter...

Tapewolf

I've always looked at the big picture, actions now can cause repercussions in the future and make things more difficult.  Games need to be played as if they were life, not a set of acts and action scenes.
That has been the approach I've taken with Dorcan, although that is because I'm still new to this and I'm not entirely sure how a different approach would work.

He's reacting the way I think someone would in his position, and ultimately that's why he is petrified about combat, and trying to stall the attack on the tower, because he is afraid of being killed and he doesn't want to die.  If I was approaching this like Morrowind or something, his reactions would be very, very different with a lot more risk-taking.
It's also why he's being cautious about approaching the problem as a whole - the wrong decision might cost other people their lives and he doesn't want that to happen either.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Catffeinated

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 23, 2007, 12:37:26 PM
He's reacting the way I think someone would in his position, and ultimately that's why he is petrified about combat, and trying to stall the attack on the tower, because he is afraid of being killed and he doesn't want to die.  If I was approaching this like Morrowind or something, his reactions would be very, very different with a lot more risk-taking.
It's also why he's being cautious about approaching the problem as a whole - the wrong decision might cost other people their lives and he doesn't want that to happen either.

Well, Gerald doesn't really care, he's a risk taker naturally, and as for the AIs, as long as there's a wireless port to escape in, they don't care either... that's the only flaw in their self-preservation protocol.

bill

I'm kinda glad I'm missing this, it sounds confusing.  :B

Azlan

As it has been my experience, the largest failing in RP is that everyone knows its a game.  Hence, people only highlight the actions of moment, concern themselves only with looking good, advancing their character and still remaining detached from the world.  

A true testament to one's ability to RP is to immerse themselves in their role, to understand that this is real-life to their characters and that momentary gratification has consequences, every action of significance has consequences down the line that can impact themselves or others outside of them.  I would hope that some characters' depth exists beyond the tip of their gun or the point of their sword.

Arcalane

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 23, 2007, 11:43:04 AMSo now basically we need Arcalane/Exo to use his perfect robot memory and remind everyone that our orders were to investigate, not neccessarilly attack.

From a continuity perspective, Exo thinks in just as wiggly lines as you meatbags, as he's an artificial intelligence, designed to mimick an organic intelligence - as in one that can use fuzzy logic and isn't stuck with binary thinking. The wiggly lines are just slightly more geometric and have a few Bézier curves thrown in for good measure. Whilst he may have better memory (photographic - literally) and organization, he can't go from A to C without going through B.

In other words, just like you meatbags need to be reminded of things sometimes, so does he.

Azlan

Quote from: Arcalane on July 23, 2007, 01:34:29 PM

From a continuity perspective, Exo thinks in just as wiggly lines as you meatbags, as he's an artificial intelligence, designed to mimick an organic intelligence - as in one that can use fuzzy logic and isn't stuck with binary thinking. The wiggly lines are just slightly more geometric and have a few Bézier curves thrown in for good measure. Whilst he may have better memory (photographic - literally) and organization, he can't go from A to C without going through B.

In other words, just like you meatbags need to be reminded of things sometimes, so does he.

The issue is not with the design of the character, but with the player behind the robot... a human trying to mimic a robot is rather challenging and tends to be comical.

Ryudo Lee

Yeah, it's always entertaining when someone mimics C3PO, moreso when they do it badly.  :lol

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Arcalane

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on July 23, 2007, 01:57:17 PM
Yeah, it's always entertaining when someone mimics C3PO, moreso when they do it badly.  :lol

"We're all doomed!"

There, happy now? :B

Catffeinated

[Deleted due to idiocy]

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Arcalane on July 23, 2007, 01:57:59 PM
Quote from: Ryudo Lee on July 23, 2007, 01:57:17 PM

"We're all doomed!"

There, happy now? :B

Quite. :)

Azlan

"I suggest surrender.  The Brotherhood may be gracious enough..."   :)

lucas marcone

There seems to be a large disparage between what people want out of the RP and what they appear to be getting from it.  A few advocate the hack-and-slash route, but that degrades quickly and becomes passe after awhile, so I would hope it is meted out fairly modestly.  

I've always looked at the big picture, actions now can cause repercussions in the future and make things more difficult.  Games need to be played as if they were life, not a set of acts and action scenes.

like i said earlier..... this is literally word for word.

this rp, to my knowlege is not confined to northon. it is my characters view to use the paranoia of a bigbrother fiasco to wake up the nation and see JUST how progressively invasive the brotherhood is. when that's all said and done it is my understanding we will gain more support and the government might actually welcome armed strikes on the brotherhood. and we might just have the beefy support of the military on our side

Tapewolf

This not Dorcan throwing caution to the wind, by the way.  He's liable to turn tail at the first sign of danger.  After all, as Azlan puts it, it's his life at stake.

As for the EMP, I'm assuming that they have a means of generating localised fields to avoid destroying things they don't want destroyed - the control system in the EMP generator, for example.

As for Dorcan, I don't know how his brain works, but I'm assuming that Jakob would have taken some degree of EMP shielding into account, particularly if he's playing with ion weapons, fusion and total conversion in his spare time.  An unfocussed EMP would probably wipe the laptop though, and destroy any unshielded augmentations.

Ryudo Lee

Sorry about my absence yesterday guys.  I was at a remote site, setting up a new server rack.  Really wish I'd have had a helper.  That is not easy to do by myself.

Anyway, a question for PBH, are you going to the edge of town or out of town?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 25, 2007, 05:40:28 AM
As for the EMP, I'm assuming that they have a means of generating localised fields to avoid destroying things they don't want destroyed - the control system in the EMP generator, for example.

Generally speaking (so not for the purposes of the RP, but in my understanding of RL) the EMP generator self-immolates to create the pulse - so shielding the control circuitry is, uh, generally not required, because once the EMP goes off, there's no further use of the device at all.

A one-shot unit, as it were, rather than a multi-use device.

Of course, if you're talking higher tech, you can do whatever you like, though... :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Well as I understand it, with our tech level it's usually achieved with a nuclear device, which is why I'm using the word 'generator' and assuming it can produce a focused pulse rather than being a bomb which would probably wipe the entire town out anyway, or kill all the people in the case of a neutron device.

Catffeinated

I said EMF, not EMP! There is a major diffrence between the two: an EMP is an Electromagnetic Pulse, obvioulsly, a steady pulse of electromagnetic waves. An EMF is much more common, in fact, it's natural. EMF stands for Electromagnetic Field, which is produced by anything using electricity, including the human brain (however, the intensity of the EMF is so minute, most EMF scanners can not pick it up). Both EMPs and EMFs effect electronic devices, only an EMP's effect is sudden, an EMF's effect is gradual.

Tapewolf

Tapewolf

Dorcan is liable to go for a stungun.  Would it be acceptable to assume there are some in the vans?

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 26, 2007, 06:47:40 AM
Dorcan is liable to go for a stungun.  Would it be acceptable to assume there are some in the vans?
Yes.

And remember that it's an EMF that's being used to broadcast the signal to the people, so Catf may actually be on the right track.

Azlan

Due to Comic Con attendance, my participation will be spotty until approximately Sunday/Monday.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on July 26, 2007, 03:41:41 PM
Due to Comic Con attendance, my participation will be spotty until approximately Sunday/Monday.
Yeah, that reminds me - I'm probably going to be patchy Saturday-Monday as well.

Azlan

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on July 26, 2007, 09:10:14 AM
At the Lenny's...

Lol, I've been using Lenny's in my Rifts games since the 90s.  Our originality is so intense it hurts... :P

Tapewolf

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 26, 2007, 03:50:36 PM
What is it a reference to?

The American Denny's chain of restaurants.

http://www.dennys.com/en/

Tapewolf

Ah.  That's always one of the problems I have when writing for an international audience - trying to figure out whether a specific reference is going to mean anything...

Ryudo Lee