Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC) [PG/14] - Open - New players welcome!

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 07, 2007, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucas marcone

if he says no, ill edit. im not a god moding l-l4xx0l2 i know limits when i see them, but it really is a crude version of "hard light" with flaws. then again Lee it's up to you homie.

Catffeinated

I can actually see "hard light" working out, it's just photons so close together it simulates a real object... well, that's my explanation

techmaster-glitch

Actually, solid coherent light is something the Forerunners came up with. :P :P :P The Light Bridge, remember? (or, who here hasn't played the original Halo?)

Though, the Light Bridge was only a basic shape (a rectangle/trapezoid), and it required the kind of power that Halo itself generated. The idea of that kind of thing being minaturized and focused into a hologram projector the size of a large dinner platter seems...a little off.

lucas marcone

techmaster-glitch

True, but we'll let Ryudo make the final call. ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Catffeinated on July 17, 2007, 09:01:03 PM
I can actually see "hard light" working out, it's just photons so close together it simulates a real object... well, that's my explanation
I think you'd need something brighter than the sun to use photon pressure.  You'd also have to 'stop' the photons to make them act as a hard edge, which would then prevent the projection being visible.  The basic problem is that photons are fundamentally not the same kind of stuff as regular baryonic matter, so you wouldn't be able to use light to do both things at once.
Light and some kind of projected, transparent suspension material I could buy, but we're entering the realms of magic, here.   :<

Bear in mind that you'd need a power source too.  Gid seems to be running off something like AA cells so apart from Exo, whose power source seems to be unknown and experimental, Ryudo's world seems to be maybe 50 years ahead of our own in terms of power technology.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 17, 2007, 09:12:43 PM
Actually, solid coherent light is something the Forerunners came up with. :P :P :P The Light Bridge, remember? (or, who here hasn't played the original Halo?)
Me...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

lucas marcone

i was thinking more along the lines of light sabers minus the whole hot enough to cut through you like butter thing. plasma can be contained with a strongenough magnetic feild. an were already able to make crude lightsabers in this day in age....it just takes a room full of equipment...but just some time ago computers were in the same sticky situation.

Ryudo Lee

Yeah, this solid hologram business... no.  You can have holograms, and even have ones that emanate sounds, but not solid ones.  That would be going a little too far ahead of current technology.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Arcalane

Oi, gimme a chance to reply, people. I have a life here. I'll try and get a response post done as soon as I can - preferably once this headache blows over.

techmaster-glitch

Arcalane, what is Exo's responce to Jexx? He has reactivated his micros and sent the data containing the new site to the command console.

Arcalane

I responded to you at the same time as the others;

Quote"Return to main site but stay alert."

EDIT: The "suggestion deploy cameras" comment was aimed at everyone.

Ryudo Lee

Are these cameras going to be camaflauged in any way?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Query: Did the enforcer keep the card, or hand it back to the Chief?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ryudo Lee

llearch n'n'daCorna

Arcalane

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on July 19, 2007, 10:02:44 AM
Are these cameras going to be camaflauged in any way?

And EMP-shielded, I'd hope. :B

Tapewolf

Did you mean to dupe your post there, tech?

techmaster-glitch

Heh? *checks* OH FOR F**K. I reposted becasue the last time I tied my internet went RAWR and I had to reboot my computer. I didn't see that it was actually submitted. Grrrrrrrrrrr.......stupid unstable internet and computer.........

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Are we getting Morgan's arrest over the comms?

lucas marcone

i didn't see him say he turned his off. and it wasn't destroyed yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: lucas marcone on July 20, 2007, 10:06:55 AM
i didn't see him say he turned his off. and it wasn't destroyed yet.
Fair enough.  I will join you in this assumption.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"They didn't tell you? Oh, for... Listen, give me 5 minutes with a phone, and I'll get you my boss, you can confirm with him. Useless REMF paper-pushers, I -told- him to let the locals know, dammit. <mutters>I tell you, I'm this far from quitting and taking up a real job with the Brotherhood. Bastard.</mutters>"

... then call someone on the team, who gets to play boss.

Erm. I should stop having ideas, shouldn't I? Or at least stop talking them out...

lucas marcone

I would have said something like that but Josh isn't as clever or devious as the people "on the outside" refering to his life in seclusion.

Azlan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 20, 2007, 10:20:59 AM
"They didn't tell you? Oh, for... Listen, give me 5 minutes with a phone, and I'll get you my boss, you can confirm with him. Useless REMF paper-pushers, I -told- him to let the locals know, dammit. <mutters>I tell you, I'm this far from quitting and taking up a real job with the Brotherhood. Bastard.</mutters>"

... then call someone on the team, who gets to play boss.

Erm. I should stop having ideas, shouldn't I? Or at least stop talking them out...

yeah, I didn't like my first response, so I switched it up a little...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Bweeheeheehee. I like the smile. :-]

Edit:
Speaking of which, I note that the Zealots and Enforcers really don't fit in the general population - everyone else is cheerful and smiley, and they're downright grumpy.

Or perhaps that's just me...

techmaster-glitch

For starters, it hinges in its entirety upon the skills of one individual to get us in. Should anything go wrong in that initial maneuver
Funny you should mention that, something is supposed to go wrong, and that is where a waiting player is planning on jumping in. His character has already been reviewed and approved by Ryudo, and he...was...waiting for the assault on the Tower to begin.
I say 'was' because I actually haven't heard from him the past few weeks...he must've gone on some vacation and forgot to tell me about it.

The other things I will adress IC.

techmaster-glitch

We have no suitable facilities for interfering with and properly isolating a signal from the chips here. This is a field operation, not a fully-equipped medical hospital, so you will have to excuse our obvious lack of luxuries." It sounds slightly sarcastic and irritated at the same time.
Who is Exo directing this at? Everyone, or a specific person?

Tapewolf

techmaster-glitch

Ok, stopping for a moment and talking out of character here. Why are several of you so opposed to actually attacking the Brotherhood? Wasn't that the whole point of this RP in the first place? Actually fighting the Brotherhood? Not saying, 'oooh, look at this! One more thing to add to the list of atrocities the Brotherhood is commiting!'? No one is really going to be surpised or care, because the Brotherhood will just try to clamp down harder. Action must be taken. A good analogy to use here is the Star Wars EmpireVsRebellion. Just about everyone hates the Empire, and know about the militant, emphasis on the militant, Rebellion. They are viewed as terrorists by the Empire, as they constantly attack all kinds of Empire posistions in hopes of weakening their grip, but doesn anyone outside of the Empire belive that the Rebellion are terrorists? No they %$&@ing don't! It seems to be a simlilar situation here with this RP. The Brotherhood are just fanatics, just about everone hates them, the Brotherhood says the Rebels are terrorists, but does anyone truely belive that? Not unless they already side with the Brotherhood.
And you seem to forget that the Rebellion already constantly fights the Brotherhood, and they sometimes do it openly:
...What we try to do is more like guerrila tactics.  We try to keep our confrontations away from areas where there would be innocent casualties...and if there's a need to fight in the open, we try our hardest to keep the fight away from the [innocent]...
Don't you think the Brotherhood would have alredy publisized the rebellion attacking them in an attempt to portray them as terrorists? Like I said, the only ones who actually fall for that are those already in league with the Brotherhood. While we might not actually destroy the Tower, it would be the best idea, as it would be viewed by the genral public as a succesfull blow against those fanatics.

EDIT: Not to mention that the NPC public mood isn't even a concern of ours. I don't think politics and propaganda were ever meant to get dragged into this.