Small question, then delete thread, bitches.

Started by Netrogo, May 29, 2007, 10:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netrogo

Just really curious what is with the turtles +/- thingy. I've tried using search, I went through the rules, I cannot figure it out. Is there somewhere I didn't look?
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Kenji

+/- is a vote thing, really. If you like the person, choose +, if you don't like them, choose -.
Not much to it. They just change what it says from time to time.

xHaZxMaTx

It means absolutely nothing. :)  Seriously.

Netrogo

Thank you, confusion hath been abated. Could someone close, delete, or otherwise do away with this thread for me please?

Reese Tora

This forum has a karma system.  YOu can give good karma or bad karma ( + and - ) based on liking the person, liking the post, disliking the person, disliking the post, whatever criteria you want to use.

The karma serves no purpose whatsoever, though certain people, who shall not be named by me, make a game of seeing how much bad karma they can collect.

Because it's entierly pointless, the karma, good, and bad are replaced by thematically appropriate words or phrases just because.  It's one of the mroe endearing features of the forum, IMO
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Jim Halisstrad

Don't let them lie to you.  The -/+ is to life as whiskey to a watermelon.

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Aridas

Give me a + or i'll steal your megahurtz.

Netrogo

Not my megahurtz, I need those for navigating the tubes.

Brunhidden

the true value of the karma system is not in the + or the - but rather in the total number of people who have bothered to click on either.

when you've been here several months or a year or have at least 200 or so posts check how many karma points people have voted for you. if people have voted on you often it means you are somewhat popular and people pay attention to you. if you have a great many posts but hardly any karma at all it means nobody gives a crap what you say.

take a look at my karma and tell me about how many people i even expect to read this post. heres a hint, i can count it on my injured hand.

QuoteThere were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on May 29, 2007, 11:58:08 PM
the true value of the karma system is not in the + or the - but rather in the total number of people who have bothered to click on either.

when you've been here several months or a year or have at least 200 or so posts check how many karma points people have voted for you. if people have voted on you often it means you are somewhat popular and people pay attention to you. if you have a great many posts but hardly any karma at all it means nobody gives a crap what you say.

take a look at my karma and tell me about how many people i even expect to read this post. heres a hint, i can count it on my injured hand.

Oh please.  The internets are not a popularity contest.  So, sorry if I sound rude but stop your pity party.

You want people to pay attention to you?  Then keep doing what you are doing.
Post.
Comment.
Contribute.

Seriously Brun, the idea that nobody pays attention to you because your LULZ-O-METER isn't moving doesn't mean that people ignore your posts.

*EDIT FOR GREATERIST JUSTICE*
I meant to say the idea that nobody pays attention to you because your LULZ-O-METER isn't moving is silly.
Or Just because your LULZ-O-METER isn't moving doesn't mean that people ignore your post.

I'm tired.

Aridas

...Except mods who abuse the system where possible, as they can apparently press a button however much they like without needing to wait..

RJ

I had nothing to do with it, I swear....

>_>

<_<

Brunhidden

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on May 30, 2007, 12:14:29 AM
Oh please.  The internets are not a popularity contest. 

Seriously Brun, the idea that nobody pays attention to you because your LULZ-O-METER isn't moving doesn't mean that people ignore your posts. 

while the internet is not a popularity contest, popularity does equal power.

and i don't care if my karma does not move, quite frankly i would post here if i received regular hate mail on the basis that this is one of the few places i find topics worth writing about.

QuoteThe vermine is a small black and white relative of the lemming, found in the cold Hublandish regions. Its skin is rare and highly valued, especially by the vermine itself; the selfish little bastard will do anything rather than let go of it.

Netrogo

In that case, Yay! I'm a 6 on the 'doesn't matter' scale!

Reese Tora

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on May 29, 2007, 11:58:08 PMwhen you've been here several months or a year or have at least 200 or so posts check how many karma points people have voted for you. if people have voted on you often it means you are somewhat popular and people pay attention to you. if you have a great many posts but hardly any karma at all it means nobody gives a crap what you say.

Wait, what was that?
*total karma: 39

1: how did I make that many posts
2: wow am I must be unpopular
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Netrogo

I'm beginning to see the pointlessness of this ^^ Somehow in the last hour or so I've jumped to 46 total. I'm famous on teh interwebs!

Aridas

That'd be a mod spamming you, likely. Like I said.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Not usually. 46 is general forum folk. Mods tend to jump 100 or 500 or so.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aridas

There aren't enough forum goers to make it increase that much in that time. Plus, it's currently happening to me and i'm not too happy about it.

Paul

I tried giving someone a good karma vote, and got an error message: "An Error Has Occurred! Session verification failed." Apparently, the forum software thinks I'm bad karma...

Netrogo

Well your avatar IS a biohazard symbol.

Damaris

oh, right.

Some of the skins don't work.  We had a forum upgrade a little while ago, and not all the skins were fixed.  Someone will get to that when they have a little more time.  Currently, I believe the DMFA skin works.  I can't remember about the rest.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Netrogo

If this pic breaks the rules can someone let me know, still trying to work out the details of what's allowed and not in a pg site.

Kasarn

Quote from: Netrogo on May 30, 2007, 10:50:01 AM
[img]http://pr0n.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/thumb/5/5f/Epenis.jpg/180px-Epenis.jpg[\img]

If this pic breaks the rules can someone let me know, still trying to work out the details of what's allowed and not in a pg site.

Click [more] sometime

:epenis

llearch n'n'daCorna

Erm.

Yeah, as Kasarn says, if that's in the emoticons, it's probably safe for your image.

I'd just like to point out a correction, here - the forum itself is not PG, just some of the boards on it. They vary, so a little attention to where you're posting is probably warranted. If you look at the main page, it lists the ratings on there.

The short description is probably something like "don't go utterly overboard, and you'll probably be ok" - we're all more or less adult, here, so presume you can think for yourself. Well.. apart from Darkmoon.

A NSFW warning might be a good idea if you're posting something you think is questionable, or you think -we- might think is pushing it. That's "Not Safe For Work" - if you reckon the managers in an office might object to watching their people watch it, then a warning is warranted.

*shrug* it's not that tricky, really. Just be aware that there are some younger folk around, and there's also some who are limited in what they're allowed to view, and you'll probably be ok.

Netrogo

Gotcha. Just been a little wary since the first thread I actually talked in, other then that message from Amber, was the whole Axis intro thread where him and me both started out getting it from Darkmoon >.<

techmaster-glitch

on the subject of the karma, it's strange ow you have only 40 posts, but a grand total of 150 karma, most of it bad. Damn, you must have offended alot of people somewhere on these forums... I have 147 posts and a total karma of...... 8? Man, I must be really boring  :B I gotta get me an avatar, but I don't know how...dangit... :baghead

Brunhidden

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 30, 2007, 02:35:10 PM
  :B I gotta get me an avatar, but I don't know how...dangit... :baghead

one key to people notising you, it really does draw attention.

you can either take an existing picture and crop/reduce it to the correct size for an avitar image, usually listed on the profile page. then either upload it dirrectly to the forum or host it somewhere and feed the forum the link.

or you could dig around for pictures already the right size, many thousands exist and some people will be happy to lend you thier old ones theyre not using.

or you could just ask around and have someone give you a cool one, i got mine from zedd and i owe him hugs and kisses and...ahem, favors

QuoteAnyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on May 30, 2007, 02:44:07 PM
...either upload it dirrectly to the forum or host it somewhere

Erm. I hate to be a bother, but you're gonna have to host it somewhere else. The forum does not allow uploads.

It has the -code- to allow it, but, should you try to use it, you'll discover the admins have deliberately left it non-functional (it's a 2-second task to get it working, mind. Change an option and go set a directory writable...) since it avoids the forum host hosting images that the hosting provider may close the forum for.

We -could- validate every image prior to allowing it, but, really, that's a whole lot of headache we really don't need. So the simple answer is allow off-site hosting, and hope nobody abuses it, otherwise it'll have to go away too.

Yay for migraines.

*cough* as you were... :-]