I just read the rules

Started by Axis, May 28, 2007, 12:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenji

*uses Indignant Judgement on the topic* >.>
<.<
What? I didn't like the caffeine. That's all. Really. >.>

Destina Faroda

So it's my problem other people make fun of others and get away with it?  Just...wow...
Sig coming...whenever...

superluser

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 30, 2007, 12:53:05 AMMaybe because labelling someone else as troll isn't very funny to begin with.

Troll is descriptive.  It comes from fishing.  You take an unbaited fishing hook (or better yet, a net), and drag it behind you in an effort to snag any fish that might be swimming in that area.  It takes almost no effort to do this.

Likewise, Netami comes in and makes provocative statements in the hope that someone will take offense.

Trolling, well done, is a beautiful art.  Socrates was the world's most well-remembered troll.  Euthyphro comes in and declares that he is a pious man.  Socrates says, ``Really?  Pious to which god?''  And all Hades breaks loose.

Had Socrates been a bad troll, he'd probably just have said, ``LOL!  UR GOD SUX!''

Netami is pretty boring, as trolls go.

Say, Destina, you can make fun of me if you want...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zina

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 30, 2007, 01:12:24 AM
So it's my problem other people make fun of others and get away with it?  Just...wow...
Sure! That's exactly what I said! Yep. :V
No. What you said was "When I relax and join in, it's considerered a flame or an attack." If that is truly what's happening, then maybe there's something wrong with the way you word things. You do tend to come off as rather blunt.  Maybe, the next time something like that happens, you should take a step back and see things from the other person's point of view. See if maybe, just maybe, what you wrote came off as an attack, even if you didn't intend it to.

Destina Faroda

Nice post, Zina.  Maybe you should apply it to your own words.
Sig coming...whenever...

Zina

Haha, why? Everything I say is pretty much how I intend it. If I come off as rude and mean, it's probably because I mean to.
You are just so serious. Why are you so serious? :C

superluser

Quote from: Zina on May 30, 2007, 01:18:30 AMYou do tend to come off as rather blunt.

For the record, so does Darkmoon.

Though to be honest, Darkmoon always sounds like he's funning.  Destina always sounds like she's writing a letter to the editor.

Destina Faroda

Why am I so serious?  Maybe because I perceive supposedly "good natured" ribbing as a communal condoned attacks on people.

Have you tried seeing things from my view, or are you preparing another zinger to throw my way?

Looks like it's been answered.  I'm serious  because you have seen me to be serious.  Circular!
Sig coming...whenever...

Netami

You liken my actions to that of trolling and trolling to that of combing the waters for any opportunity of reaping a delicious aquatic bounty.

What I do isn't really so sporadic; I am not trolling the waters so much as I am whale hunting. Harpoon in hand, I watch vigilantly until my bullshit meter goes off and then I chuck my spear into the waters. I change my mind on a lot of things, and am definitely prone to "flip flopping" but the idea of free speech in all of it's forms is something I've always championed. If someone wants to call someone else a ni**er-fa**ot, let them and may they reap the backlash for having the opinions they have. I understand this is "your" forum, in the sense that you have web hosting and you happen to know this web artist close enough, but as long as I am a guest here I will voice my opinion. The method I go about doing that should not be held against any definition of sarcasm or wit; I say what I want to get a point across, not to entertain someone or sound really cool. That doesn't mean you have to change any rules to conform to my life-view, but it does mean I am never going to be quiet and you're never going to be pleasantly surprised with me agreeing with you.

It may seem futile, but honestly it doesn't take very long to type something out when you're bored.

Zina

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 30, 2007, 01:27:02 AM
Why am I so serious?  Maybe because I perceive supposedly "good natured" ribbing as a communal condoned attacks on people.

Have you tried seeing things from my view, or are you preparing another zinger to throw my way?

Looks like it's been answered.  I'm serious  because you have seen me to be serious.  Circular!

I'm throwing "zingers" your way because, honestly? It's basically impossible to reason with you. I try. I get no where. I've seen others try. Nothing. So why should I bother putting forth the effort of choosing my words carefully and trying to remain neutral when all that happens is you take everything I say as some sort of attack and we just go around and around in one big circle? And I end up feeling frustrated because I feel like I just spent a good portion of my time talking to a brick wall that somehow gained the ability to type.
So, to avoid all of that, I'm just gonna keep throwing "zingers" your way. 
Zing zing zing.

Netrogo

I'd like to point out that this topic has officially made me LOVE these forums. It's been awhile since I saw a forum that actually understood that a forum is supposed to be about discussion and, much like real life, discussions have a tendancy to drift off from subject to subject. This topic seems to have drifted far from it's original purpose (The arrival of Axis) yet has not been closed or deleted by the mods, infact a few of them seem to have joined in. So yeah, this place kicks at sign followed by two dollar signs.

I know return you to your discussion already in progress.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Zina

I tried those, once. They were terrible. :<

Destina Faroda

Then:

Quote from: Zina on May 30, 2007, 01:18:30 AM
"When I relax and join in, it's considerered a flame or an attack." If that is truly what's happening, then maybe there's something wrong with the way you word things.

Now:

Quote from: Zina on May 30, 2007, 01:33:27 AM
So why should I bother putting forth the effort of choosing my words carefully and trying to remain neutral when all that happens is you take everything I say as some sort of attack and we just go around and around in one big circle? And I end up feeling frustrated because I feel like I just spent a good portion of my time talking to a brick wall that somehow gained the ability to type.

I hate to point this out, but I think there's something wrong with the way you worded that post,  Maybe you should learn to relax and listen to other people's words instead of  attacking people, okay?
Sig coming...whenever...

Netami

Quote from: Netrogo on May 30, 2007, 01:38:18 AM
I'd like to point out that this topic has officially made me LOVE these forums. It's been awhile since I saw a forum that actually understood that a forum is supposed to be about discussion and, much like real life, discussions have a tendancy to drift off from subject to subject. This topic seems to have drifted far from it's original purpose (The arrival of Axis) yet has not been closed or deleted by the mods, infact a few of them seem to have joined in. So yeah, this place kicks at sign followed by two dollar signs.

I know return you to your discussion already in progress.

I think you will see very soon that these kinds of topics only stay open because the moderators are not present or they have some joke / witty remarks left to make. In all honesty, most forums (this included) do not tolerate extended discussions for various reasons.

Destina Faroda

Yeah, they tend to let it go until they pull the "it's my forum" card.  Usually when they can't think of an answer that doesn't involve communal degredation.
Sig coming...whenever...

Zina

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 30, 2007, 01:41:10 AM

I hate to point this out, but I think there's something wrong with the way you worded that post,  Maybe you should learn to relax and listen to other people's words instead of  attacking people, okay?

But see, the thing is, I never really have a problem with anyone else concerning that, except you.
When I intend to be mean, I'm mean. When I intend to attack someone, I attack them. But it just seems that everything I say to you, no matter what it is, no matter how I word it, will be taken as an attack. So what's the point. D:

Netrogo

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 30, 2007, 01:44:54 AM
Yeah, they tend to let it go until they pull the "it's my forum" card.  Usually when they can't think of an answer that doesn't involve communal degredation.

Well, as a player of card games, I find pulling my best card is always a good strategy XD

RJ

It's the internet. You cannot come onto the internet if you think all is going to be well and fine.

Now for some cosplay intervention:

Zina

superluser

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 30, 2007, 01:27:02 AMWhy am I so serious?  Maybe because I perceive supposedly "good natured" ribbing as a communal condoned attacks on people.

One of the things that you have to understand about trolling is that all parties who are aware of the trolling know the ground rules.

The mods (I assume) generally know when someone's trolling, and (again, I assume) make a decision as to whether it's harmless or obnoxious.  Netami, for his part, knows that he's on the boundary of good taste, and that if he is slightly off on any of this, he stands a good chance of getting banned.  The mods seem to think that personal insults are outrĂ©, so that may be where they draw the line.

Now, there are some other people who I think are unfairly hounded around here, but Netami's not one of them.  If you troll, you should expect to be treated like one.

Destina Faroda

Quote from: Zina on May 30, 2007, 01:47:42 AM
When I intend to be mean, I'm mean. When I intend to attack someone, I attack them. But it just seems that everything I say to you, no matter what it is, no matter how I word it, will be taken as an attack. So what's the point. D:

You just admitted above you were attacking me.  Your rationale for attacking me is that I perceive you as sttacking me.  Yet you also state that if every time someone makes a statement it's considered an attack, then maybe it's something wrong with the way he or she words things.

The only logical conclusion from your own words is that there's something wrong with the way you've worded things, which is what I've said all along.

Quote from: superluser on May 30, 2007, 01:53:43 AM
One of the things that you have to understand about trolling is that all parties who are aware of the trolling know the ground rules.

The mods (I assume) generally know when someone's trolling, and (again, I assume) make a decision as to whether it's harmless or obnoxious.  Netami, for his part, knows that he's on the boundary of good taste, and that if he is slightly off on any of this, he stands a good chance of getting banned.  The mods seem to think that personal insults are outrĂ©, so that may be where they draw the line.

Now, there are some other people who I think are unfairly hounded around here, but Netami's not one of them.  If you troll, you should expect to be treated like one.

But treating someone like a troll is trolling...
Sig coming...whenever...

Netami

You have to understand that they come from a position of being correct, and you come from a position of being incorrect. You should learn to not type so much as a response for them to read so much as a response for other forum people. Honestly, after so long of trying to get your point across, they are not going to listen to you. Maybe it is your fault, maybe it is their fault, but the outcome is still the same. Instead of trying to make points against their logic, just state your mind and refute anything that comes your way. You could type up a huge, long paragraph and get TL;DR'd by the admins, but there's always going to be a few people that legitimately read what you write and take it to mind.

Divide and conquer. Rebellion starts with the bottom of the totem pole!

Zina

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 30, 2007, 01:54:20 AM
Quote from: Zina on May 30, 2007, 01:47:42 AM

You just admitted above you were attacking me.  Your rationale for attacking me is that I perceive you as sttacking me.  Yet you also state that if every time someone makes a statement it's considered an attack, then maybe it's something wrong with the way he or she words things.

The only logical conclusion from your own words is that there's something wrong with the way you've worded things, which is what I've said all along.

Round and round and round and round. Relax. How about we play a game?

RJ

Zina

RJ

Quote from: Zina on May 30, 2007, 02:02:47 AM
Oh god, I've found a new game to obsessively play.
Thanks a lot, RJ. :<

:bunny

Watch out, Zina! The bunny is falling! :dface

Zina

It falls so far. The ground must be very soft. :O

RJ

It probably has traumatic internal injuries instead.

Netrogo

Gah! Can't stop playing now!!! :bunny :bunny :bunny