*blushes* Um... hello? Maybe again?

Started by Penny, April 30, 2007, 04:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

looks like something out of The Bloodening

Netami

Blood coming out of a hotel elevator, like from the shining? Hilarious euphemism for women?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 01, 2007, 05:42:33 AM
What -is- that image, Jim?
Might be a still from The Shining, but that's just a guess.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 01, 2007, 06:13:32 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 01, 2007, 05:42:33 AM
What -is- that image, Jim?
A good guess, I think. That's what I thought as soon as I saw it.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Penny

Quote from: RJ on April 30, 2007, 07:33:21 PM

I'll trade you a basket of homebaked muffins for those Naruto cookies.  :3

Done!   c:

Quote from: Boogeyman on April 30, 2007, 07:50:18 PM
IT LIVES! I seem to find myself yelling this a lot, lately. You're not the only one from the old forums to have made themselves scarce. Great to see you here again! *bows*

Thank you.  c:

Quote from: Eibbor_N on April 30, 2007, 08:25:42 PM
I recall you, though you had a different avatar then. That degree of meekness doesn't go unnoticed!  :P

:animesweat I'm not sure if I should say thank you or not. *thinks*  Good manners are always appreciated, though, so thank you.  c:

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on April 30, 2007, 09:40:23 PM
Hello not quite new person!

I bring gifts.

:dface  Um... how very... thoughtful of you?

Quote from: Gabi on April 30, 2007, 09:54:08 PM
Hi, Penny! Welcome!

Funny, as soon as I saw the topic title on the forum list I immediately thought of you.

:giggle  Hello again.  I've been enjoying the random hug thread.  c:

Quote from: Aiyno Wolf on May 01, 2007, 02:19:06 AM
Yes, welcome back Penny, I hope to see you posting and enjoying the forum again in your own way.  :)

:shy  Thank you.  I've been enjoying the forums very much, just... very quietly.  :animesweat

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on May 01, 2007, 04:44:26 AM
Heya Penny welcome back >:3 *Cubi hugs Penny*

:blush I wonder if I should be worried about what defines a "cubi hug."   :animesweat Thank you, though!

Quote from: Netami on May 01, 2007, 06:13:20 AM
Blood coming out of a hotel elevator, like from the shining? Hilarious euphemism for women?

:<  That comment makes me sad...

Aridas

Hmmm... Meh. *pulls a lever and buries Penny in cookies*

I'm done here. >.> *walks away*

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 01, 2007, 06:13:32 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 01, 2007, 05:42:33 AMWhat -is- that image, Jim?

It's most definitely from The Shining, and llearch needs to brush up on his classic American films (first The Manchurian Candidate, now The Shining--though Kubrick might have been a British subject at the time).

Also: a preview for Shining (SFW, prolly seen it)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's not my preferred genre, sorry.

Action, comedy, martial arts, generally speaking. Horror is one of those I can't be bothered with - the targets usually strike me as far too stupid to get out of a paper bag without cutting themselves, although I might be over-generalising the genre, I'll admit. It just doesn't interest me. *shrug*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Penny

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 01, 2007, 11:41:27 AM
It's not my preferred genre, sorry.

Action, comedy, martial arts, generally speaking. Horror is one of those I can't be bothered with - the targets usually strike me as far too stupid to get out of a paper bag without cutting themselves, although I might be over-generalising the genre, I'll admit. It just doesn't interest me. *shrug*

The Shining is an example of a good horror movie.  The situation is pretty drastic and you never get the feeling that the characters are suffering because they don't have the sense to leave.  However, if horror movies aren't your thing then you still probably won't like it.  c:

And it's not nearly as entertaining as Kung Fu Hustle.  :giggle

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 01, 2007, 11:41:27 AMIt's not my preferred genre, sorry.

It's not really horror--more of a psychological thriller (and absolutely no slasher elements).  Written by Stephen King and adapted by Stanley Kubrick.  Can't go wrong with that.

The targets are the caretakers of a hotel in the middle of nowhere in the off-season.  All the roads are iced over, and there's no one else in the place. (Stephen King got the idea while staying at a hotel where the only people around were his family and the staff)

Give it a watch--there's a ton of pop culture that comes out of that film.

Oh, and welcome (back) Penny--you have excellent taste in films.

Zina

Quote from: superluser on May 01, 2007, 02:24:56 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 01, 2007, 11:41:27 AMIt's not my preferred genre, sorry.

It's not really horror--more of a psychological thriller (and absolutely no slasher elements). 

Except for that whole part where Jack goes crazy and starts chasing people around with an axe.
Poor Ole Blacky. He just wanted to help. :<

PS. HEY PENNY HOWS IT GOING?

superluser

Quote from: Zina on May 01, 2007, 02:31:05 PMExcept for that whole part where Jack goes crazy and starts chasing people around with an axe.

Yeah, but it's never really unexpected.  You're never on the edge of your seat wondering if Jack's going to pop out from behind the corner, because you've already seen him running down the hall with the axe.

Tapewolf

Give it a watch--there's a ton of pop culture that comes out of that film.

IMHO the film as a whole is rather long and drawn out but it has its moments - the dialogue with the dead janitor (?) was one of my favourites and I've referred to it at least once in the anti-walkthroughs.  And now I think I'll have to watch it again...

Oh, and I don't think I've had much to do with Penny, but it's good to see her back anyway :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zina

Quote from: superluser on May 01, 2007, 02:43:36 PM
Quote from: Zina on May 01, 2007, 02:31:05 PMExcept for that whole part where Jack goes crazy and starts chasing people around with an axe.

Yeah, but it's never really unexpected.  You're never on the edge of your seat wondering if Jack's going to pop out from behind the corner, because you've already seen him running down the hall with the axe.

There are several scenes where he just pops out(like when he jumped out and axed the groundskeeper who worked so hard to get there. D:) But regardless, the whole "Being chased by a crazy guy with an axe/chainsaw/cleaver/badger through the woods/house/moon" is a pretty basic element in slasher films. Another being the whole "isolated in a place far from mainstream civilization". You're likely to find both of these elements in almost every single slasher film.
It might not be a slasher film, but it still contains slasher elements.

Penny

It's not really horror--more of a psychological thriller (and absolutely no slasher elements).  Written by Stephen King and adapted by Stanley Kubrick.  Can't go wrong with that.

*SNIP*

Oh, and welcome (back) Penny--you have excellent taste in films.

You are right, it is more of a psychological thriller, but there are slasher moments, much like Zina mentions.  c:  It's just better done than more recent slasher movies.  The only comparison that comes to my mind are The Shining as the game Silent Hill and most slasher films as the Resident Evil games.  [/geek]

And thank you!  c:

Quote from: Zina on May 01, 2007, 02:31:05 PM

Except for that whole part where Jack goes crazy and starts chasing people around with an axe.

PS. HEY PENNY HOWS IT GOING?

"It's the Shinning!"
"Don't you mean the Shin-"
"Ach, boy, d'ye want to get us sued??"  - Simpsons

It's going very well.   :3  Though I suddenly feel like I should be mentioning a secret, evil plot that noone knows about.   ;)

Jim Halisstrad

Whats all this Shinning Talk about?  Netami got it right the first time.

;3

Penny

Damaris

Hi!  Let me introduce you to Jim!  He's horribly inappropriate at nearly all times :)

Welcome back!

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Zedd

I am glad to see new peoples..It pains most come along as former stalkers

Jim Halisstrad

Some people try and be a (pardon the pun) shinning example, I'm more of a "terrible warning" type myself :3

RJ

All work and no play makes RJ a dull squirrel :<

TheGreyRonin

...You came back? Voluntarily?

You're either hopelessly damned or one of us. (Wait, that's the same thing...)

Anywho, welcome back, Penny. Wasn't here on your first trip through, but I look forward to talking to you this time 'round.

Gabi

Ah, Penny, here's a smilie for you.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Helena

Quote from: Penny on April 30, 2007, 04:37:13 PM
*waves shyly*  Um, hi!  I'm Penny, a lurker from the last forum and... *turns a little pink* well, a lurker with this forum as well.  ^.^;    I just... thought I'd introduce myself and, well, probably go back to hiding under my chair.  ^^;

*flees*

its ok...I'm a lurker too...
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, whose to say who I really am at all?

Penny

Quote from: RJ on May 02, 2007, 02:24:26 AM
All work and no play makes RJ a dull squirrel :<

Redrum!  Redrum!

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on May 03, 2007, 12:11:13 PM
...You came back? Voluntarily?

You're either hopelessly damned or one of us. (Wait, that's the same thing...)

Anywho, welcome back, Penny. Wasn't here on your first trip through, but I look forward to talking to you this time 'round.

Thank you!  ^-^  I'm looking forward to posting... I think.  :animesweat

Quote from: Gabi on May 03, 2007, 04:55:35 PM
Ah, Penny, here's a smilie for you.

*squee*  That is so cute!   :cvheart

Quote from: Helena on May 03, 2007, 05:09:21 PM

its ok...I'm a lurker too...

... *offers them a place under her chair*  c:

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears