04/28/07 Abel's Story [84] Wow

Started by AndersW, April 28, 2007, 12:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Halisstrad

Man, where did I leave my Prodigy CD.
Now I HAVE to listen to it.

Nino

Quote from: superluser on April 28, 2007, 02:30:03 AM
Quote from: Kattuccino on April 28, 2007, 02:10:44 AMRecently? Cid had to have been Abel's father. And Abel's hatred of cubi who assume completely alternate identities? I'm guessing there is no real "Cid" here. Sad, because I liked the character.

As to why he slapped her? He's obviously a jerk. I'm guessing he despises beings, which is why he probably led the massacre against Dev and co.

Edit: anyone wanna bet the person he was saying he ran into was Kria? Also, going back and reading the archives knowing who Cid is is creepy.

Let me explain `recently.'  Actually, let me explain that in conjunction with the slapping question.

So Aniz hates beings, right?  Why did he have sex with one, sire a child that he knew was going to be an incubus, *and then live with a being for the next twenty-four years*?  It gets even stranger with the ``Aniz is Devin's father'' story.  Why would he play the field, to the exclusion of trying to have more kids with May?  It's not exactly like she could say no.  All he'd have to do is reach into her mind and figure out what arguments she was going to use, and I guarantee that he would win the argument.

Also, it makes little sense to build up a strong relationship if you plan to destroy it.  It never hurts to have a little maudlin being telling the lynch mob, ``No!  You can't hurt him!  I *love* him.''  It might not help in Zinvth (or maybe it would--like a little puppy), but he might not live there forever.

I also suspect that domestic violence laws in Zinvth are pretty strong, and they wouldn't exactly be intimidated by an incubus.

Why would he have had a kid with a being? Maybe to propagate the 'Cubi line, maybe not. But I have a feeling that Aniz likes pain. Okay, he might not _hate_ beings, but all those years with May and he clearly does not seem to have feelings to her. He may be sadistic and enjoy pain, which is also why he may have feigned the heart attack -- the pain from May might have pleased him.

I also don't think "Cid" is real for two reasons --

1) In the hugely diverse world of furrae, it's pretty coincidental that May would find someone who looks a lot like her when we havn't seen anybody else in DMFA who has those kind of ears, and especially in the same color. May and Cid looked like they could have been brother and sister

2) Looking back, Cid seems too good to be true. A reliable, hardworking, loving man who wouldn't question why his son would have wings? And he agreed to move to Zinvth right away -- not something an adventurer would do. He just seemed too perfect. But that's up for opinion.

OH, and also, wasn't Dan's dad an adventurer too?

Indilee

:mowninja

These recent events brought me to the boards... I'm totally interested in seeing what happens now.

Though I really do enjoy the Abel Story - so I really hope that Amber doesn't feel bad for going in the route that she has. It makes for a very interesting storyline. ^_^

Moonfrost

:) *pokes the new sig*

Its the best I could do in such a short ammount of time. *yawn* I'll come up with a better one tomorrow maybe... or once I get a different image of this cutie :giggle

Ah well, off to bed for meeeee! *crashes*

Huttj

Amber, this comic made me get around to registering for the new Forum just so I could say...

Bravo, well done.

Indilee

Quote from: Huttj on April 28, 2007, 03:16:58 AM
Amber, this comic made me get around to registering for the new Forum just so I could say...

Bravo, well done.

I concur! :D

And Moonfrost - totally agree with you there too.

s0ck_ninja

I'm not smart enough to join in the speculation, but I just wanted to say - and I joined the forums just now specifically for this purpose -

O_O Death. By. Awesome.

Holy heck, Mrs. Williams. You are a storytelling ninja.

Zaon

um I know this sounds crazy but maybe he forgot he was a cubi or something and then suddenly remembered as a wave of memories came flooding back and he turned back to his evil ways :3

after all earlier he was about accusing May of cheating on him somehow and know we know he is a cubi
ALSO if you read the Demonology 101 on  cubi it says that cubi can die by normal means unless stroung enough
which just happens to include heart attacks and memory loss :3

Tapewolf

Oh my gods.  That was totally amazing.  Killing Cid off, I could imagine that upsetting Amber.  I wrote a couple of things in CJP which brought me to exactly the same crossroads that Amber is describing.  But this?  This is amazing.  The only thing I've done that comes close to what she's pulled off here is the twist in 'Future History' and in my case I went with Fuyudenki's "grinning and giggling".
Maybe Amber's freaking because something really nasty is going to happen in the next strip (like Aniz killing May - or worse).

Looks like this could be some fun voicework for Shadrok  >:3

**EDIT**
And this is one rant that I will be saving for posterity.  In fact it might be worth sticking in this thread for future reference, if Amber will let us.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nino

NO, I think I finally figured out the purpose of the heart attack.

It was the symbolic death of Cid.

Aniz, I believe, is an actor. And he couldn't just leave his role uncompleted. I think he had been acting all along, for whatever reason (could have been an assignment, or perverse pleasure, or having a child -- whatever), but he had fulfilled his role of Cid so well that nobody could have known, not even his wife, that he was somebody different.

I don't think you just cast aside a role like that flippantly. I believe Aniz had ended the "role" of Cid by "killing off" the character. I believe he wanted a sense of completion, for whatever reason. Now he is no longer playing the role of this character he has created, which is why he had transformed and is acting like what I believe his normal self is like -- a jerk.

Why end it right there? Because the role of Cid would have been impossible knowing that Abel was a Cubi. Think about it -- Aniz probably wanted to stay true to the character. And Cid coming home and finding his son was an incubus? It wouldn't have fit with reality. Cid being a being and Abel being an incubus would have been impossible now that May had ensured Cid that Abel was his son.

Thus the character of Cid could not hold up with reality any more and it had to die.

(going to bed now that I've really gone off the deep end with my speculation)

Edit: And yeah, I think May's going to die. I don't even know how much Aniz cares for Abel at this point since he isn't acting like he does. Maybe he just wanted a son because more clan members = more powerful magic for Cubi in that clan or something. No idea.

Edit Again: Maybe Aniz was being forced into playing the role of Cid and the "curse" was lifted when the role of Cid no longer was in tune with reality. Maybe that is why he had a Cubi child because that was the only way he could escape playing the role? Actually, this one I don't even believe, it's just a thought.

Cathowl

Another person who delurked and registered just to post on this topic.

So Cid is a cubi, and either always was, or has had his identity stolen for a long time.

Anyone else wondering how much of his "adventuring" was a cover to go out and kill lots of people? Or to meet with other cubi and make plots or something?

Huttj

Quote from: Cathowl on April 28, 2007, 03:49:51 AM
Another person who delurked and registered just to post on this topic.

So Cid is a cubi, and either always was, or has had his identity stolen for a long time.

Anyone else wondering how much of his "adventuring" was a cover to go out and kill lots of people? Or to meet with other cubi and make plots or something?

Or if the real Cid was off adventuring and got pod personed.

Tapewolf

Whatever he did, it brought in the cash.  More so than shipbuilding did.  Of course he might have been some kind of highwayman - not too shabby a career if you can shapeshift  >:3

Reaver225

Quote from: Kattuccino on April 28, 2007, 03:07:20 AM

Why would he have had a kid with a being? Maybe to propagate the 'Cubi line, maybe not. But I have a feeling that Aniz likes pain. Okay, he might not _hate_ beings, but all those years with May and he clearly does not seem to have feelings to her. He may be sadistic and enjoy pain, which is also why he may have feigned the heart attack -- the pain from May might have pleased him.

I think that you're missing another point, it's very possible for 'Cubi to feed of other Cubi. He could be feeding off BOTH May and Abel. I know 'Cubi don't just look for food ALL the time, but if he's needing souls for something (maybe he needed a new desklamp filled with ultimate pain and betrayal?) two would be better than one?

It could be a kind of trophy thing - Aary kept a knight's soul in a cup or something if I recall correctly.

EDIT: I forgot to say this. OMG OMG OMG WOW AAAAAA *gasps* Amazing storytelling.

That is all.

Doraion

*I am seen holding ace down as he growls.*  Ace: LEt me at that bastard!! 

Me: Ace control yourself!  can someone tranq Ace before he goes into rage mode?!

Doraion: o_o;  Ummmm, yeah as you can see Aniz struck a nerve in Ace really hard.  Also this is a big plot twist amber, not even Chris could get a hunch about it.  :mowhappy

Tapewolf

Thinking about it, he did do some good honest adventuring, at least at some point - May points out to Sally that he's saved the village on numerous occasions.  ('Course he could have been defending his territory or just asking the other Creature politely to go away or something...)

wolf_shaman

Personally I think this was a awesome turn for the story.  Surprise, suspence and a hell of a plot twist...a ploit twist so groundshaking, it made me delurk...

the writer in me applauds

kudos amber

Kudos.

also, this news about cid being killed doesnt make sense....if he had been killed years before, would abel even be born, much less a incubus?

RJ

Tapewolf

All right, where's his clan marking, and how the hell did he manage to hide it from May or prevent her from noticing it was the same tattoo as on Abel?
I'll assume he's noticed Abel's mark himself but has been happily ignoring it until Abel's headwings made the charade untenable...

Feather Dancer

When I first saw this weeks I went:

?!?!?!

CRAPPIT I WAS RIGHT.

Somewhat.

It may be recalled a while back I suspected that certainly Devin and Xander being killed might be linked to his habit of being a loner, very much himself to himself which this really seems to enforce further o-o I also suspect the "friend" he met was Kria since the others the "hand" was with are either dead or still running like a mad pogostick. That and hai ho hater of the alternate idenity and can we honestly blame him?

I'm going with the Cid was replaced theory but sure as heck not recently, it's a bit of a wonder at least from this weeks, did she ever know the REAL Cid at all or just an act? God all I can say is poor May for getting whacked, Abel from the Trauma and Hennya as I can't help but suspect she might not get out of this as easy.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Vidar

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 28, 2007, 04:35:12 AM
All right, where's his clan marking, and how the hell did he manage to hide it from May or prevent her from noticing it was the same tattoo as on Abel?
I'll assume he's noticed Abel's mark himself but has been happily ignoring it until Abel's headwings made the charade untenable...

:shapeshifters

If they can change their entire appearance, hiding a clan marking should be no problem.

Now I hope the bastard gets his headwings ripped off. Don't mess with spotty mom!
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Zedd

From all speculations..Thus this one spawned a right one. Anyhow I smell danger and lots of crying for my speculations and maybe a battle of wits and claws. And its...4:48 AM by my watches on my arm...Anyhow...Be safe out there kids...*yawns and curl up with a soft Amber plush*

Dard

Quote from: Vidar on April 28, 2007, 04:46:39 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 28, 2007, 04:35:12 AM

:shapeshifters

If they can change their entire appearance, hiding a clan marking should be no problem.
I quote from Demonology 101:
Quote from: Demo101All cubis belong to particular clans, and their symbol appears soon after the Cubi begins to use magic. It is the one marking a Cubi can't alter thus a good way to spot a cubi would be to find their marking.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kattuccino on April 28, 2007, 03:48:36 AM
Aniz, I believe, is an actor. And he couldn't just leave his role uncompleted. I think he had been acting all along, for whatever reason (could have been an assignment, or perverse pleasure, or having a child -- whatever), but he had fulfilled his role of Cid so well that nobody could have known, not even his wife, that he was somebody different.

The backdrops peel and the sets give way and the cast get eaten by the play
There's a murderer in the matinee, there are dead men in the aisles
And the patrons and the actors too are uncertain if the show is through
And with sidelong looks await their cue, but the frozen mask just smiles

--This Vicious Cabaret / V for Vendetta EP / Alan Moore and David J

As for Vidar's question, Dard has beaten me to it, but I can just imagine Jakob looking at him with his twisted smile and saying "You didn't think I'd let you use my own emoticon against me, did you?"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Indilee on April 28, 2007, 03:09:23 AM
These recent events brought me to the boards... I'm totally interested in seeing what happens now.
Quote from: Huttj on April 28, 2007, 03:16:58 AM
Quote from: s0ck_ninja on April 28, 2007, 03:23:45 AM
and I joined the forums just now specifically for this purpose -
Quote from: wolf_shaman on April 28, 2007, 04:27:24 AM
a ploit twist so groundshaking, it made me delurk...

Damn. You guys are all sprouting out of the woodwork today.

Welcome, all four of you. :-]

Amber: Well done. I can see how it must have been hard, but, stick with the muse. Stick with the muse. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

boots

Quote from: Doraion on April 28, 2007, 04:00:37 AM

Me: Ace control yourself!  can someone tranq Ace before he goes into rage mode?!

Doraion: o_o;  Ummmm, yeah as you can see Aniz struck a nerve in Ace really hard.  Also this is a big plot twist amber, not even Chris could get a hunch about it.  :mowhappy

Doraion. Rule 6, #C. Roleplaying. In the Haunted Ballroom only. Do not make me say this twice.

Azraelle

I see nothing but bad things happening.  We have two potential targets for grievous harm and possible death (as we know that Abel can't die obviously).  There's been a running theme in this story that happiness is punished swiftly and harshly.  And somehow I just don't see a certain wedding happening in the future.

For all we know it was Cid / Aniz who pulled May's strings to get it sounding like it was her idea to move to Zinvth.  Whatever that case though, I think Cid, if there ever really was such a person, has been gone for a very long time.

And above all else, a hearty round of applause for Amber.  This is the mother of all plot twists, and who better to tell it?

Kettle

and yet another coming out of the darkness to post...

some how I don't think that Aniz has been playing Cid the entire time in comic 14, May "reminds" Abel's principal how Cid often saves the town...  http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_14.php

Maybe that is Aniz's love of pain though... and killing his own kind is a gross thrill

Aridas

Quote from: llearch's Big Black Boots on April 28, 2007, 05:52:47 AM
Quote from: Doraion on April 28, 2007, 04:00:37 AM

Doraion. Rule 6, #C. Roleplaying. In the Haunted Ballroom only. Do not make me say this twice.
Wasn't he one of the ones doing it on the old forum like alondro does?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 28, 2007, 06:33:47 AMWasn't he one of the ones doing it on the old forum like alondro does?
Maybe so, but Alondro obtained permission to do so prior to the move.