Cybernations

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, February 18, 2007, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkdragon

And I have the tech to send up. We just need to find a middle guy.

EDIT: Apparently, I've been attacked. Oh, the joy. Since I have no experience with this matter, I must turn to the leadership of this alliance and ask for advice. Any would be helpful.

So far I have offered peace to one, and accepted peace to the other, and have found that if the first country does not accept peace, they are violating their alliance charter. Will keep up to date.

Tezkat

I sent you some aid to help you through anarchy and such. I was going to send some anyway, but I guess now it's for reconstruction instead of tech. :animesweat

Two of PUKE's nations tried to raid me. :dface They both bounced, so (apart from a few hundred k for troops, etc.), I'm now $4 mil richer. So, actually, the reconstruction funds are on them. >:]

By the way, guys, please delete your wars after declaring peace. Since we're not in a position to ask for reps anyway, leaving them up just makes us look like a more inviting raid target. Or is llearch pursuing some sort of diplomatical solution to our problem?

I haven't been following the CN forum drama. Seriously... what's with TPF handing out protectorates left and right? :B

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on April 21, 2008, 09:11:14 AM
By the way, guys, please delete your wars after declaring peace. Since we're not in a position to ask for reps anyway, leaving them up just makes us look like a more inviting raid target. Or is llearch pursuing some sort of diplomatical solution to our problem?

I'd hope to, only the folks in question a) aren't in their listed IRC channel, and b) are the leaders of the alliance and the owner of their forum, so my chances of getting anyone to listen to me pointing out them breaching their own charter is about zero.

I knew I was forgetting something, though. Thanks for reminding me, T.

Anyone want to be stuck in the middle with me n DarkD and someone else, for tech?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 21, 2008, 10:55:42 AM
I'd hope to, only the folks in question a) aren't in their listed IRC channel, and b) are the leaders of the alliance and the owner of their forum, so my chances of getting anyone to listen to me pointing out them breaching their own charter is about zero.

Thing is... if you're friendly and civil about it, they usually listen to you. It's mostly good natured fun to them. This is a wargame after all. You can't survive here if you're overly attached to your pixels.

Take my raiders, for instance...

Quote from: phillip110
War has been declared on you by phillip110 for the following reason: raid - PM for peace
You may access your War & Battles screen to view and manage this war.

You have been attacked by phillip110. You lost 6,236 soldiers and 972 tanks. You killed 15,750 soldiers and 3,204 tanks. Their forces razed 0.000 miles of your land, stole 0.000 technology, and destroyed 0.000 infrastructure. Their forces looted $0.00 from you and you gained $1,000,000.00 in your enemy's abandoned equipment. In the end the battle was a Victory. Any existing peace offers that were on the table have been automatically canceled.

You have been attacked by phillip110. You lost 2,926 soldiers and 505 tanks. You killed 7,219 soldiers and 900 tanks. Their forces razed 0.000 miles of your land, stole 0.000 technology, and destroyed 0.000 infrastructure. Their forces looted $0.00 from you and you gained $1,000,000.00 in your enemy's abandoned equipment. In the end the battle was a Victory. Any existing peace offers that were on the table have been automatically canceled.

A peace offer has been submitted by phillip110 for the reason of: we got pwnd! you deserve peace

As soon as both nations accept peace the war will end. If either nation attacks one another this peace offer will be automatically canceled.

Quote from: Tezkat
A peace offer has been submitted by Tezkat for the following reason: Um... thanks for the cash?

As soon as both nations accept peace the war will end. If either nation attacks one another this peace offer will be automatically canceled.

lol, I wish you could have seen the IRC conversation between myself and Tintinda.

Hope you enjoy the cash! I know we loved upping our casualty counts!

You win some, you lose some... no hard feelings.

:kittycool

We got yet another alliance invitation. I'd take a closer look at this one, though...

Quote from: KingSuck
I'm sure that you've noticed that recently your alliance has come under attack from techraiders, this is due to a huge decline in the number of targets availible and so raiders are targeting small (member wise) alliances.

As a member of a purple alliance, i am strongly against the raiding of purple nations and want stability in the sphere and so would like to do what i can to help. I would like to put forward two suggestions for you to think about:

1) Get enough members so that you are too large to techraid (about 20 members is needed these days)

2) Find a protector or merge with another alliance.

This is one area i believe i can help with; and with absoloute respect to the sovereignty of your alliance, i would like to extend to you an your entire alliance an invitation to join mine, Valhalla, should you ever need to.

If you would like any information/help in any way please let me know.

Regards,
KingSuck

Do we have an open diplomatic line to Valhalla yet? I'd rate them as the strongest Purple alliance. They certainly have the most political clout at the moment, so getting a bit chummy with them would help a lot.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on April 21, 2008, 02:16:59 PM
You win some, you lose some... no hard feelings.

I always seem to get dealt a losing hand, though. Oh, well.

Quote from: Tezkat on April 21, 2008, 02:16:59 PM
Do we have an open diplomatic line to Valhalla yet? I'd rate them as the strongest Purple alliance. They certainly have the most political clout at the moment, so getting a bit chummy with them would help a lot.

Ah... let me look.

Well... no. I have accounts on 10 alliance forums. Valhalla isn't one of them. I'll go open one up when I get home.

Darkdragon

He accepted peace, so there ends war on my front. I lost 120 infra, 33.66 tech, 4061 soldiers, $2,061,126.73 (I'm quite surprised I had that much around when I got attacked. AND still had enough left for bills (~800k))

In other words, I think I'll be up and running by Thursday, at latest.

Tezkat

That's good to know. Please go ahead and accept the monies to help you get back on your feet.

In other news...

I caught a spai! Nuevo Vido may be next on the list of raiders. :dface

At any rate, we're going to have a lot of people gunning for us so long as we have raids visible on the war list. I think it would probably be a good idea for everyone to go DEFCON 1 and boost troop levels a bit--at least until this current conflict blows over. I hope you all have a bit of cash stashed away for just such an occasion (as I constantly recommend that people do...  :3).

Did Kasarn self-anarchy? I find it odd that two ground strikes would have completely wiped out his forces...

And what's going on with Valynth and the Poison Clan guy? Are they fighting it out or just idling?

Darkdragon

I'm waiting until tomorrow so I can rebuild then collect taxes and avoid paying high bills. Thanks in advance.

Tezkat

Well... I got hit with three quads at update. They were even thoughtful enough to soften me up with bombs and missiles first. :animesweat Basically, that one guy who spied on me figured he wasn't tough enough to raid me on his own, so he called in a few of his big buddies. :animesweat

I can't rebuild my air force until I get more tech, which kinda sucks, but other than that, the damage looks like it's in the $60 million range--about a two week loss, nothing serious. It doesn't look like I'll be able to offer much assistance to anyone else at the moment, though, so I guess I'll just hit hippy mode and give the raiders one less target until this current wave of attacks ends.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I've been in talks with Valhalla and Elysium. Apparently they're in the process of putting together a protectorate.

I've signed up to both forums, and talked on irc, and will let you know what happens.

In other news, Poison Clan (in the part of TwistedRebel47) said that they'd leave us alone from here. Which is dashed nice of them.

Tezkat

That's great news. See? Diplomacy still works...  :3

I certainly wouldn't mind folks like Valhalla/Elysium watching my back. What kind of terms are they asking for/offering?

Hmm... We should totally get a flag. Any suggestions? :kittycool

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tezkat on April 22, 2008, 08:54:11 PM

Hmm... We should totally get a flag. Any suggestions? :kittycool

Or, rather,

Darkdragon

I suggest a good (Use necessary judgement) picture of a cardboard box, symbolizing the box which started this thread, for which without we would not have come so far.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Terms:

Pegasus

Preamble: Pegasus stands foremost as a entity to promote strong and long-lasting economic, diplomatic, and philosophical ties between Purple team alliances. It is about building new friends into great allies with dedication to the Purple Sphere at heart. There are many parts to unity; this is merely one step down a long road toward a notable and worthy goal.

Pegasus Code of Conduct:

I) Commitment to have sixty percent (60%) of the alliance's nations on Purple within thirty (30) days of membership.
II) Prohibit "raid*" style warfare against any Purple Sphere nation.
III) Mutual cooperation at the direction of the FA** in Senate matters.
IV) Economic participation on P.E.A.C.E forums, specifically trades and tech programs.

Article I: Friendship and Non-Aggression

The Pegasus alliances agree to refrain from military actions and all forms of espionage against each other. If an individual nation or nations of a signatory violates this Article, the undersigned agree to work together to remedy the situation by whatever means are deemed necessary.

Article II: Growth

The FA recognizes that the growth of the undersigned is in the best interests of all parties, and will work with all members of Pegasus to that end.

Article III: Defense

The FA shall provide diplomatic and military support in the event that another party takes aggressive military or espionage actions against one or more members of Pegasus. Any attack on Pegasus is an attack on the FA.

If another party takes aggressive military or espionage actions against the FA, the undersigned representatives shall provide military support as requested.

Article IV: Aggressive Action

The undersigned of Pegasus agree not to take aggressive military actions against other alliances without first consulting with the FA. In the event that one of the undersigned members takes an approved aggressive military action, the other signatories may, at their discretion, provide whatever aid is requested, up to and including joining in the military action.

In the event that the FA takes aggressive military action against another alliance, the undersigned are highly encouraged to provide whatever aid requested, up to and including joining in the military action.

Article V: Foreign Affairs

The undersigned protectorates shall not enter into treaties with alliances not party to this agreement without consulting the FA. Further, the undersigned members agree to maintain courteous relations with other Pegasus alliances in all public venues. Differences will be worked out in private.

Article VI: Senate

In the interest of acting as one voice, the undersigned agree to support candidates recommended by the FA for the Purple Senate.

Article VII: Espionage

All signatories of this agreement recognize that espionage against other sovereign alliances is neither honorable nor desirable; it is an act of war and should be treated as such.

Article VIII: Sovereignty

All undersigned alliances recognize and respect that each is a sovereign alliance and agree not to interfere with the internal affairs of other signatories.

Article IX: Modification

The terms of this agreement may be modified by the mutual consent of the FA and two-thirds (2/3's) of the member alliances of Pegasus.

New signatory protectorates may be added by the consent of the FA.

Article X: Flag Alliance

The FA shall be the largest signatory alliance as determined by total alliance nation strength. Decisions of the FA may be vetoed by a majority vote of the signatories of the Poseidon Treaty.

Article XI: Withdrawal and Expulsion

If any member of Pegasus finds that this agreement is no longer in their best interest, they may withdraw from agreement with seventy-two (72) hours written notice, or immediately by mutual consent.

If the FA decides that it no longer wishes to protect one of the undersigned protectorates, it may ask that protectorate leave the agreement with seventy-two (72) hours written notice, or immediately by mutual consent.

Any violation of Articles I, III, VII or VIII of this agreement shall give the non-violating signatory cause to withdraw from this agreement immediately.

Any violation of Articles I, III, IV, V, VI, VII or VIII of this agreement shall give the FA cause to expel a member alliance from this agreement immediately.

* Raid refers to wars started primarily for the purpose of statistical gain or boredom. This does not limit signatories to defensive actions or carrying out punishments as these are sovereign actions.
**FA refers to Flag Alliance.

I pointed out that this doesn't seem to cover "war games", or prearranged fights between members of the protectorate who wish to learn -how- to fight. The author, one Great_Lakes_Union of Elysium (the Foreign Ambassador) said he'd look into it, and see how it would fit in, what with being a good idea and all.

He says this is a draft copy, but they've already had two or three alliances sign up. Seems reasonable enough for me.

Tezkat

Quote from: Darkdragon on April 23, 2008, 12:10:37 AM
I suggest a good (Use necessary judgement) picture of a cardboard box, symbolizing the box which started this thread, for which without we would not have come so far.

CN flags should be fairly classic and abstract, perhaps with some inside humour. I like the box idea. Maybe even a box with headwings.

Colour suggestions? Purple, definately. How about secondary colour(s)?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 23, 2008, 06:54:36 AM
I pointed out that this doesn't seem to cover "war games", or prearranged fights between members of the protectorate who wish to learn -how- to fight. The author, one Great_Lakes_Union of Elysium (the Foreign Ambassador) said he'd look into it, and see how it would fit in, what with being a good idea and all.

Hmm... It was my understanding that battles like that are generally frowned upon by the powers that be, since they're tantamount to war slot filling.

Also, honestly... would it even be necessary? Each strike does millions in damage at our size. A mere three quads (and a couple of bombing runs/missiles) set me back half a month. There shouldn't be a significant shortage of bad people to hurt in a treaty this wide.

He says this is a draft copy, but they've already had two or three alliances sign up. Seems reasonable enough for me.

Ah... so is it Valhalla or Elysium providing the big guns here? Who are the other hopefuls? I assume that the other large Purple alliances are not part of it...

Anyway, I like it. Assuming that it doesn't turn out to be just empty lip-service (like GRAPE), it could be good for everyone.

Some minor clarifications...

What is the address of the P.E.A.C.E. forums? Who runs them?

Who are the signatories to the Poseidon Treaty mentioned? I couldn't find anything about it on the wiki or forums? (Or is it just a typo?)

Tezkat

Here's an example of what I had in mind in terms of the flag:

It's like an abstract box mow thingy. :mowtongue

Opinions? Maybe gold instead of white? Any other ideas for a sexier CN flag?

Darkdragon

Terms look good to me. I'd have no problems signing it, but I'll leave that job to the privileged.

Flag... I don't have any problems with the design, but I have one thing to say on the subject of the cross's colour. The arrangement of the black and the white give the impression that there are two different colours of purple used, and that does not look too good. Unless you did use two different colours of purple, in which case I suggest you to change it, it may be just a trick on my screen, and in that case, it's fine as it is.

Tezkat

It's probably an optical illusion... I'm pretty sure the colours are the same throughout.

And here are a few quick recolours.

The richer indigo and gold look more majestic. Definitely my colours. :3

However...

It's a mow flag! :mowcookie I rather like this one. It's instantly recognizable as DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkdragon on April 23, 2008, 10:08:05 PM
Terms look good to me. I'd have no problems signing it, but I'll leave that job to the privileged.

I've stated that our alliance organisation is "Anarchy" - although I think "Organised Anarchy" might be closer. And there's a word in there somewhere that I can't recall quite at present - I may spend some time with a dictionary at some point trying to figure it out.

I'd like to think -everyone- has a voice in what we agree to do. So yes, you saying "yes" is as good as anyone else saying "yes", and I'd like everyone to at least speak up.

Tez, I'll take your comments back and see what happens.

Edit:
Oh, and I prefer the deeper purple, although I do like the last one; it's just the faint mauve doesn't sit well with me...

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 24, 2008, 05:19:56 AM
I've stated that our alliance organisation is "Anarchy" - although I think "Organised Anarchy" might be closer. And there's a word in there somewhere that I can't recall quite at present - I may spend some time with a dictionary at some point trying to figure it out.

"I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major--"

There are actually quite a few forms of organized anarchy. In the realm of political science, anarchy means "no rulers" rather than "no organization". :3

Edit:
Oh, and I prefer the deeper purple, although I do like the last one; it's just the faint mauve doesn't sit well with me...

Well... black/purple/gold is Tezkat's colour scheme, so I have no objections. :kittycool

We could fiddle a bit more...

Here it is with colours reversed. It's a bit more... menacing this way. I like it! >:]

Same thing in mow. It kinda looks like an old-school AI... ("I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave..." :dface) Unfortunately, I don't think the mow theme works with a darker shade of purple. Somehow, it looses the mow-ness that makes its DMFA roots recognizable. The mauve (mowve? :mowtongue) may be less offensive with a predominant black background, though.

Nobody's complained about the design yet. It was just a quick prototype I cobbled together yesterday. (Seriously... the wings were scanned off a doodle on the back of an envelope. :animesweat) It's certainly toonier than most CN flags. The trend right now seems to be towards more intricate designs and textures. But it's fairly classic, and the wing motif could fit in well with our potential Norse/Greek themed allies in addition to hinting at our pedigree for those in the know. Still... not like it's set in stone if anyone has better ideas...

:mowcookie

Cogidubnus

I like the first inverted flag, actually. And I must agree with Mr. Box - Mauve just doesn't seem to be an inspiring national color.  :P

"For the Black, the Gold, and the Mauve!" Just doesn't have that certain something...*grins*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Could we try the mow flag with the mow box in indigo?

Tezkat

Yeah, I suppose it doesn't exactly inspire fear and terror in our enemies... :animesweat

That's about as dark as I think it's safe to go on the mowve one. A little better, perhaps?

I'd certainly be happy with the dark purple and gold flag, though. Of course, if we're happy with the design, I could keep churning colour variants until we settle on something we all like.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on April 24, 2008, 12:08:14 PM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2066/dmfaflagmow9000darkoq6.gif

I like the design, but... imageshack appears to not have that server, here. Perhaps a temporary problem somewhere? :-/

If you want, I can host the images whilst we decide...

Edit: Oh, there we go.

Actually, what I meant was leaving the bars in mauve and just turning the box to indigo...

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 24, 2008, 12:12:07 PM
Edit: Oh, there we go.

Actually, what I meant was leaving the bars in mauve and just turning the box to indigo...

You mean like this?

Meh.

Doesn't really work the other way around, either. I think I prefer the solid colours...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mmm. You have a point.

How about the original mow flag with gold wings, instead of orange?

Incidentally, are you stealing these colours from the comic itself?

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 24, 2008, 12:52:51 PM
Mmm. You have a point.

How about the original mow flag with gold wings, instead of orange?

Like so?

And reversed...

Incidentally, are you stealing these colours from the comic itself?

Right now, I'm just picking the closest web palette colours to the ones in the comic. I could try some intermediate colours, I suppose, but I don't think it'll make a big difference...

llearch n'n'daCorna

In case anyone is interested, I put together a list of all these variants:

http://llearch.net/misc/cn/

Tezkat

Oooh, convenient. :mowcookie

So... should I churn out a few more, or do we have enough now to just put it to a vote?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Could you push one more attempt through?

option 3, but paint the background flag in indigo? Leave the mow in mauve, but just the flag in indigo behind it...

Sortof the reverse of 8, almost...