Cybernations

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, February 18, 2007, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

So what all's going on, these days?  I don't check any of the CN boards and I'm just kinda staying in the 'small-nation-in-the-dark' mode. :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mostly, we're laying low and hoping everyone misses us, I think.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkdragon

It seems we are on our way to doing that.  >:3

Mao

Indeed.  I've stepped myself down a bit, as nothing seems to be going on and have gone back to focusing on getting a bigger nation that's making more money. :D

llearch n'n'daCorna

Once you've got a war chest, you can go back to what you were doing, I figure.

It means you've got money in the bank if something goes wrong.

... in the mean time, I appear to have hit the 8k infra mark, so I'll be sitting here for a couple days...

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2009, 05:12:34 PM
Once you've got a war chest, you can go back to what you were doing, I figure.

It means you've got money in the bank if something goes wrong.

Yeah, war chests are really important. When you're fighting a war, things like anarchy, guerilla camps, troop costs, and battle losses drop your effective income down to basically nothing. It's very easy to become bill locked (unable to function because you can't pay your bills). That's probably the most common way to "beat" an opponent.

Organized alliances generally measure warchest size in terms of the number of days worth of bills you can pay without collecting taxes. For comparisons elsewhere in Pegasus... Meritokrati has a 15x minimum. BAPS currently mandates 40x. :dface

We're currently suggesting 10x a minimum. In other words, if your daily bills are $2 million, have $20 million in the kitty for a rainy day (you know--when the weatherman predicts artillery shells... >:]). If you can't afford a week's worth of bills, it's easy to get screwed if the first round of wars turns ugly. I'd bump that up to 20x if you can afford it. Major combat operations in large scale wars are usually over within a few weeks, and you do have to collect every 20 days to avoid being deleted anyway.

So... if any of you need help stabilizing your bank accounts, give a holler and I'll see what I can do. I've got a big warchest...
:mowcookie

... in the mean time, I appear to have hit the 8k infra mark, so I'll be sitting here for a couple days...

Honestly, the 8k infra jump is not that big of a deal. Most of the ones above 4k have now been reduced to the point that you can almost ignore them.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on January 30, 2009, 02:19:56 AM
Honestly, the 8k infra jump is not that big of a deal. Most of the ones above 4k have now been reduced to the point that you can almost ignore them.

According to the calculator, 13 million $ worth of infra. Or about two and a half days collections.

Hence the "couple days" ;-]

Also, my next wonder is about up. So I wanted some spare folding for that...

Darkdragon

Due to one of my vital long-time partners dropping a trade after a few hundred days of trading, my profit margin on one day's taxes minus expenses is $14,718.18 or about nothing. I'm having a bit of trouble getting anywhere close to the suggested 10x minimum at this rate (It'd take three years) and would like a bit of help on this regard. Thanks in advance.

llearch n'n'daCorna

This is why you have a war chest in the first place. ;-]

I've passed over a stack. I expect Tez can probably help more; I kinda need to go back to saving up, because I kinda slipped a bit what with the buying a wonder (Foreign Air Force Base) and the extra 20 fighters to bring me up to 95 planes... ;-]

Tezkat

Wow. How is your income so low just from a lost trade? Maybe it would help to decom your tanks and a few troops until your economy stabilizes. It's not as if DMFA is high on anyone's first strike list. :animesweat

Anyways... I'll send you some munnies as soon as the last guy in my new trade circle accepts his trade. I'm sitting on about half a billion right now, so if you need a large cash infusion, I could also forward multiple packages through intermediaries.

Darkdragon

My profit margin wasn't too large in the first place. It was enough to save to buy infra once in a few days (I don't check as often as I should anyways) but practically useless in saving large amounts of money. That and the trade was holding together almost all of my bonus resources does not make it better.

Thanks guys.  :mowhappy

Valynth

Huzzah, I'm now a card-carrying member of the nuclear club!  8)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Tezkat

llearch n'n'daCorna

Indeed.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had enquiries about our forum from ProdigyNL and Lord Bludd...

Both times I've pointed them here, and suggested they might have difficulty finding us in the noise. I've neglected to mention that they won't see us unless they ask me nicely, officially, here, though...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lord Bludd
Well i have a little preposal, is far as i can gather you guys play a lot of online games and CN is just a sideline. So hows about i set up a subsection on my forum just to do with CN, and all you guys swap your AA to boost our alliance score. You would have to abide by our rules but you may conduct yourself as you wish in your own sub forum and it means you will all be protected under Pegasus the big purple block.

Just an idea though let me know what you think.

thanks LB

Any takers?

Tezkat

Did he not notice that we've been in Pegasus longer than they have? :animesweat

Some thoughts...

We barely have a critical mass to keep the threads going in this forum. How many of us would really bother checking another one for updates?

It's a merger of convenience of two small alliances with no real consideration for the political structure of the deal. We'd replace most of their top nations list. (Heck, if Kasarn were still with us, we'd actually be the larger party by NS...) Somehow, I think I'd wind up becoming the go-to man for the new alliance just by virtue of holding the top spot; their contact info isn't widely distributed.

Also, given the rash of treaty cancellations and consolidations recently, we might be looking at a spring break timeframe for the next big bash in Planet Bob, so this might not be the best time to be fiddling with alliance structure.

In the end, I really just don't know who these guys are. NPP is a fairly new alliance, and Lord Bludd is not a very active poster on either the CN or the Pegasus forums. Maybe if they stopped by to say hi and get to know us, I could take the offer seriously.

Mao

I read this whenever there's a new post, but most of the time I'm too much of a newb to really have any input so I just sit back and let you guys make all the decisions.  I'm just here to offer weapons if needed (HA!  Fat chance I'll be needed) and to watch my nation grow.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on February 09, 2009, 02:52:59 PM
Did he not notice that we've been in Pegasus longer than they have? :animesweat

Heh. I was going to comment about that. *grin*

Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 09, 2009, 03:09:41 PM
I read this whenever there's a new post, but most of the time I'm too much of a newb to really have any input so I just sit back and let you guys make all the decisions.  I'm just here to offer weapons if needed (HA!  Fat chance I'll be needed) and to watch my nation grow.

I'm pretty sure we _all_ do that. ;-] I'm not sure what that says about our political nous in the Planet Bob sphere...

Darkdragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 09, 2009, 03:20:35 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on February 09, 2009, 03:09:41 PM

I'm pretty sure we _all_ do that. ;-] I'm not sure what that says about our political nous in the Planet Bob sphere...
How's about "Politically apathetic"?

Honestly, I think it could be safe to say that any time such an offer appears, it's probably a good bet we can decline. If memory serves, we were one of the founding members of Pegasus (albeit a small footnote on the treaty), and thus it probably should be us asking them. But we probably won't due to the symptoms above.

Spring break would be nice. I don't think I'm going anywhere without Internet during the time.

Tezkat

Looks like we're about to lose another one. :kittydepressed

Fresnor's gonna hit 20 days of inactivity tomorrow... :dface

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, he says
Yeah, pain in the ass trying to keep full resources, and was losing money because of it

James StarRunner

Should we still be on standby for a huge assault? Also, starting in a couple weeks or so, I may be starting to stock up on tech (after getting another wonder).

llearch n'n'daCorna

three months, they said.

I think there's still a month to go, if not two...

Darkdragon

What is the status of standby? I might be considering going after a wonder...

On a slightly unrelated note, I really dislike it when my vital trades drop. My bills will rise about 300,000 and my taxes will drop 300,000 which makes me about earning nothing. >.< Good thing I got that fixed and lets see how long this set will last.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I suspect it's gone all quiet, so go for it. It's probably a bright idea to save up for it, though, and keep at least some war chest on standby...

Tezkat

I'd advise building up to your comfortable warchest level and saying, "Okay, this is my rainy day that I'm not going to touch until all hell breaks loose." Then anything beyond that could be considered spending money for new growth.

Most of Pegasus, at least according to the leadership forums, are still in stockpile mode. The longer Planet Bob goes without war, the bigger it will be when it finally hits... >:]

Valynth

Quote from: Tezkat on March 22, 2009, 03:38:45 PM
Most of Pegasus, at least according to the leadership forums, are still in stockpile mode. The longer Planet Bob goes without war, the bigger it will be when it finally hits... >:]

Suddenly, getting the radiation cleanup bonus sounds very attractive.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

insidexml

...this place has everything! :boogie

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=212694

Member of the now defunct alliance HeroesofGaming!

A former confederation of alliances such as Element and Hyperion that tried to fight NPO!

We lost! Badly! :<
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

llearch n'n'daCorna

*sigh*

To: llearch    From: kunal1    Date: 4/7/2009 9:40:58 PM

Subject: money

Hrm. My sent messages appear to be deleted.
Why should I send you money?

To: llearch    From: kunal1    Date: 4/8/2009 9:25:11 AM

Subject: RE: money

That's a reason for you to want money from me, not a reason for me to give you some.

Care to try again?

Mao

I can't say I've had that happen.. but then I'm not that strong. :P