Swords, bigbigbig Swords!

Started by Teroniss, February 13, 2007, 02:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slavkei

"full size"? They make the Soul reaver 36". It's a bloody 6 foot flamberge in the game. Fullsize my ass.

Kenji

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on February 13, 2007, 06:27:28 PM
Quote from: Density D.what made you think otherwise?
Destiny is a girl name.

Anyway, there's no way you'd be able to effectively use a sword like some of these, they're just too heavy.  I'd like to see someone try and hold a 15 ft sword that weighs 50+ lbs., let alone fling it around and have any control over it.

50 lbs isn't as heavy as you think. Ever use a barbell like a bo-staff? Takes getting used to, granted, but it grows on ya.

Teroniss

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 13, 2007, 05:53:27 PM
Quote from: Daimien on February 13, 2007, 11:25:58 AM
And here I come to burst everyone's bubble. If that is a 9 foot sword it would be a wall hanger at best. There is no way it could actually be wielded by anyone. I dunno know about you guys but if I can't wield the sword than it's useless to me. When I do get some new swords I think I'll get them from here.

http://www.trueswords.com/final-fantasy-c-3.html

I know they're not full size but they can be wielded.

Holy s*$tburgers, they have a keyblade. I think I'm in heaven, but if only it weren't so pricey. XD Then I would terrorize the whole frickin' neighborhood with the exploits of Keaton the Keyblade Wielder, and her sidekick, her pet leopard gecko Murgatroid. They will make many a tale chronicling our exploits!

But that's just me being insane, as usual.

I wonder if a nine-foot long sword is really practical, though. Seems too heavy and awkward to wield... but then again, it's not like RPG monsters are parading around in the streets for us to use them on. :p Awesome website, by the way... going to spend the rest of the night searching through it.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

The King of Swords website has the Oblivion Keyblade.

Also, these are just show pieces. Most swords made today, despite what is advertised are made for show, not practical use. And even if they were, we live in the modern age. Where are you seriously going to use a sword for its intended use?

Quote"full size"? They make the Soul reaver 36". It's a bloody 6 foot flamberge in the game. Fullsize my ass.

I didn't say they were all fullsized, just the ones I want. When I said fullsize, I was referring to the Cloud and Sephy swords.

xHaZxMaTx

Teroniss

Oh yea Haz, cuz sword fights are literally breaking out constantly in the streets and we must defend ourselves

xHaZxMaTx

Kenji

Well, there are weapons competitions.
And technically, bo techniques and such can be put to use in the real world as self defense.

Sunblink

Quote from: Teroniss on February 13, 2007, 06:36:02 PM
Oh yea Haz, cuz sword fights are literally breaking out constantly in the streets and we must defend ourselves

Hey, you never know when your arch-rival will attack you from out of nowhere armed with a ridiculously large gunblade.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

superluser

Quote from: Density D. on February 13, 2007, 06:18:28 PMsuperluser is right but buy the sword anyway just to look awsome

(Insert ``Dude...wait, what?'' kitten here)

I...never said that.  If you want to buy it because it looks awesome, that's fine by me.  I tend to only buy things that I can rationalize as functional in some way.

Quote from: Kenji on February 13, 2007, 06:19:09 PMTrue, but once you get the ability to swing a sword, learning to use it isn't so hard. However, the -quickness- of how you can swing it is different.

The main issue, to my mind, would be stopping the sword from swinging you.  When you're in a swordfight, you need to be able to respond to your opponent quickly, and if you can't, you'd be better off with a sword with less mass/moment of inertia.

Quote from: Teroniss on February 13, 2007, 06:32:38 PMAlso, these are just show pieces. Most swords made today, despite what is advertised are made for show, not practical use. And even if they were, we live in the modern age. Where are you seriously going to use a sword for its intended use?

Samurai Delicatessen?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kenji

You use the inertia to keep you moving. :3 Point is, it -can- be done. Heh.

Stygian

It can be done. Trust me.  *goes off to practice*

As for the swords themselves... I really don't like replicas. If I was going to buy a new one or something, I would try and look up some industrial firm or some smaller private one. It's more the steel that you're after. Also, I much prefer single-piece swords, where the hilt and the blade are both made of the same piece of metal, and the hilt is basically just a long handle of it wrapped with cloth.

superluser

Quote from: Stygian on February 13, 2007, 07:32:30 PMIt can be done. Trust me.

Speedlearn?

Anyways, the point is that with training, you can almost certainly be good at wielding a bastard sword one handed.  But without training, you'd be better off with something shorter/lighter/with less moment of inertia.

Kenji

Who said you didn't need training? :3
Hmm..
To Gunblade or not...

superluser

Quote from: Kenji on February 13, 2007, 07:50:20 PMWho said you didn't need training? :3

You: You'd be surprised how easily heavy swords are able to be wielded
Me: There's a difference between being able to wield one and being able to fight with one effectively.

Lushin

If you're gonna get a sword. GET THE MASTER SWORD!

http://www.trueswords.com/links-master-sword-from-legend-zelda-ocarina-time-p-2082.html

Sorry couldn't help saying that. I actually know people that I can't show them that. If I do they will star robbing banks.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Teroniss

Kenji

Quote from: superluser on February 13, 2007, 08:04:59 PM
Quote from: Kenji on February 13, 2007, 07:50:20 PMWho said you didn't need training? :3

You: You'd be surprised how easily heavy swords are able to be wielded
Me: There's a difference between being able to wield one and being able to fight with one effectively.
I never said you wouldn't need training to use it effectively. Just to wield it.

Zorro

If you are going to get a sword spend the money on something made with the best current technology that is shaving sharp and VERY dangerous. 

http://www.coldsteel.com/swords.html

Teroniss

Yay, they have pretty stuff to Zorro, if you want pratical, non-collection ones. The only reason I'm drooling over the swords on this sight is for collection value. I mean, they have a damned light up Sword of Omens!!!!

Yugo

All I'd like is a full tang Roman Spatha and a viking shield. =D
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Valynth

The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

xHaZxMaTx

Oh, I would so get one of those.

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on February 13, 2007, 11:51:05 PMSword canes!

At last, I can now be a samurai pimp!

You now know the punchline to this story, but I'll tell it anyway.  In high school, one of my teachers told a story about how he was demonstrating the way to discover the center of gravity for an object.

He needed a long object, and he grabbed a cane from one of the students.  The student protested, but he paid it no mind.  In order to find the center of gravity, you need to support the object with two fingers, run the fingers together, and wherever they meet, that's the center of gravity.

This cane had an unusually high center of gravity, so the teacher tossed it up in the air to observe it.  The cane promptly separated into the wooden bottom and the top...which was a sword.

He let the kid have it back after class, under the condition that he never bring it to school again.

A while later, the kid broke his leg and had to get around on crutches.  When the teacher saw that, he picked it up and tried to figure out where he had hidden the .22.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Silly boy. He should have made sure the catch on it didn't let go unless you actually want it to.

Sprung-mounted ones are much better - chances are you can do some damage with the cane bit, that way...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teroniss on February 13, 2007, 06:36:02 PM
Someone did actually go berserk with a samurai sword in Cheltenham a couple of years ago in an attempt to kill their MP.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2906959.stm

Actually there seem to have been a number of incidents in Swindon involving the things...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Did they succeed in gutting the MP?

Otherwise it'd be a total waste....

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 14, 2007, 07:54:46 AM
Did they succeed in gutting the MP?
No, just their companion.

I thought this happened in Swindon, but I think that was the Kosovo refugees.  I don't think they managed to kill anyone in that incident.

**EDIT**
Ugh, that reads like I'm glad he killed someone.  Which is assuredly not the case.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nuts. I've told people, time and again - if you're going to aim for an MP, -don't- -miss-.

Missing just encourages 'em.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 14, 2007, 08:50:10 AM
Nuts. I've told people, time and again - if you're going to aim for an MP, -don't- -miss-.
Missing just encourages 'em.

And for those listening in the US, 'MP' is Member of Parliment - I believe 'Senator' is the US equivalent.

llearch n'n'daCorna

congresscritter, perhaps. Bit of both?