Damn, it's happened again

Started by Tapewolf, January 22, 2007, 06:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

http://www.quantegy.com  (deaad by Apriiil...)

This is not quite such a disaster this time around, since there are now three other manufacturers of audio tape - Zonal (who like Quantegy, died but rose again on the third day)  ATR, and RMGI.
This is unlike two years ago, when Quantegy died before and they were the sole manufacturer.

Nonetheless it is extremely irritating since I can only get Quantegy stuff from my usual suppliers, and Zonal only makes 1/4" stuff and I need 1/2" as well.

If need be I can probably order RMGI product via the US, but it seems rather wasteful given that it is made in the Netherlands  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I found these guys: http://www.thomann.de/gb/recording_tape.html

.. but they're selling Quantegy. So I guess that's no help, although they might start sourcing RMGI once Quantegy collapses.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything more useful. :-/

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

By way of update, it looks like RMGI now have a UK distributor:
http://www.protape.co.uk

...so I won't have to change my username just yet  >:3

ITOS

Theoretically, what would you call yourself if you had to go digital?
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

Quote from: ITOS on February 09, 2007, 10:32:30 AM
Theoretically, what would you call yourself if you had to go digital?
I'm not honestly sure.  I'd probably just keep the name anyway.

Sid

You could save to USB sticks and call yourself Flashwolf :P
(I like the sound of that, actually... even though Tapewolf sounds friendlier... and you'd avoid certain jokes by staying true to your current name :3)
:boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and "Diskwolf" sounds like something slipped...

Tapewolf

If I had to, I'd probably record to DSD, since it is kind-of analogue, even down to generation loss (!).  I'd still like to know if DBX or Dolby noise reduction prevents that.  Of course recording to HDD or DVD media lacks the charm - I mean, where's the fun if you can't watch it spinning?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Damaris

I love the look of a good reel to reel machine.  I miss working with them.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damaris on February 11, 2007, 11:33:19 PM
I love the look of a good reel to reel machine.  I miss working with them.
Plenty on e-bay :P  Out of curiosity, what did you do?

Turnsky

technically magnetic tape will still be in use for some time to come, heck, avionic flight data and voice recorders still use them (that black boxes in planes)..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on February 12, 2007, 06:10:17 AM
technically magnetic tape will still be in use for some time to come, heck, avionic flight data and voice recorders still use them (that black boxes in planes)..

Well anyone who's still using 797 logging tape is in for a nasty surprise.  RMGI are only making the more popular audio stuff.  They're not making the digital reels either, so there should be some Nagra-Ds going cheap in the near future  >:3

King Of Hearts

Time waits for no man, Im afraid.

Am I the only one that clicked this topic expecting a Jay Leno Monologue about teachers having carnal knowledge with their students?

Tapewolf

Quote from: King Of Hearts on February 12, 2007, 06:24:00 AM
Am I the only one that clicked this topic expecting a Jay Leno Monologue about teachers having carnal knowledge with their students?

"It's happened again" is what the Gendarmes will sometimes say in Deus Ex when discovering one of your victims in Paris.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 12, 2007, 06:20:42 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on February 12, 2007, 06:10:17 AM

Well anyone who's still using 797 logging tape is in for a nasty surprise.  RMGI are only making the more popular audio stuff.  They're not making the digital reels either, so there should be some Nagra-Ds going cheap in the near future  >:3

the reason being, i gather, is that magnetic tape is that much more durable and easily repaired than, say, optical or digital formats (even hard drive platters)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on February 12, 2007, 10:40:49 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 12, 2007, 06:20:42 AM

Well anyone who's still using 797 logging tape is in for a nasty surprise.  RMGI are only making the more popular audio stuff.

the reason being, i gather, is that magnetic tape is that much more durable and easily repaired than, say, optical or digital formats (even hard drive platters)

Is it true that they are still using wire recorders for this very reason?  Or have they now been superceded?

Turnsky

doing a little research, looks like modern black boxes use solid state memory specifically made to survive the mauling that they're likely to get.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/black-box.htm

fun fact, black boxes are an aussie invention  :mowhappy

Tiger_T

Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Damaris

I worked in a college radio station.  We often used the reel to reel to record things before we transferred them to the computer for editing.  For a while, I was the only person on staff who could thread the damn thing.  It was testy, and didn't like people, but it did such a nice job.

They upgraded much of the station after I left- I'm fairly certain that my reel to reel was upgraded right to the trash, which makes me sad.

My favorite story about using it, though, was I was doing a news package on the station's 50th anniversary, when the engineer came down carrying an original of the George Burns show that had (apparently) aired on our station years and years ago.  We were able to pull a clip to use for the package, and that is how an old Maxwell House Coffee ad managed to get play in 2001 on a southern Indiana college station.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damaris on February 13, 2007, 02:07:07 PM
I worked in a college radio station.  We often used the reel to reel to record things before we transferred them to the computer for editing.  For a while, I was the only person on staff who could thread the damn thing.  It was testy, and didn't like people, but it did such a nice job.
Ah.  Yes, it's mostly studios and broadcast outfits that use them.  Of course that means you've actually used them professionally... [is jealous]

QuoteThey upgraded much of the station after I left- I'm fairly certain that my reel to reel was upgraded right to the trash, which makes me sad.
Indeed.  The amusing thing is that although you can't get much for selling the machines these days, you usually will sell them.  If you try selling older digital recorders, generally you simply can't.  Absolutely no-one will touch them...

Thanks for the anecdote, by the way...