02/09/09, give or take a day or so - Ruh Roh! *tritone chord*

Started by bill, February 09, 2007, 09:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 10, 2007, 03:21:44 PM
As to the term cuckoo, the facts that
(A) a cuckoo parent doesn't interact with the foster parent, and
(B) the cuckoo typically looks nothing like the foster parents

Depends on the species.  I'm pretty sure that some of them will choose nests where the eggs resemble its own.
And the cuckoo-duck can lay its eggs in the nests of other ducks, and as I mentioned elsewhere that fact that 'cubi appearance will defer to Beings suggests that they have evolved/been designed to do this.
(The cuckoo-duck lays its own eggs as well... the other eggs are off-site backups)

QuoteOlympides might be a pretty good term, but how many out there would get the reference?
Heh, I don't, but then my classics are sorely lacking.

QuoteAnd finally, of course, what would happen if either Cid or May took the charm?
Depends what they are.  We don't even know that with any certainty, let alone the other questions.  But it's going to be dead interesting to find out.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madd the Sane

Quote from: The LizardKing on February 10, 2007, 11:29:58 AM
ANd secondly, I think that those windows on the house door are Smashed. They have jagged edges and the glass is broken. Nobody's noticed that.
I thought it was decorated glass I.E. glass split up in octagons.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Nino

Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 10, 2007, 03:52:07 PM
Quote from: The LizardKing on February 10, 2007, 11:29:58 AM
ANd secondly, I think that those windows on the house door are Smashed. They have jagged edges and the glass is broken. Nobody's noticed that.
I thought it was decorated glass I.E. glass split up in octagons.

Definitely. They're cut way too perfectly. If it were broken it'd have a big crack in the middle.

Talonr

I just keep thinking about the fact that Hennya mentioned making Abel her "honour Maiden".

Then I thought to myself "I'm no big expert on weddings, but don't the Brides generally invite the Maidens and the Grooms invite the Best Man/Ushers/whatevers they're called"?  So, if Hennya wanted to invite a male friend, would he then still have to be referred to as a 'maiden' because he's there to reprisent/by request of the bride?

Sunblink

Awww, Hennya is all sorts of cute in the second panel. I haven't seen much of her, but I really like her already. Cute gal, nice design too. Never thought that she would become one of the more notable characters from her first appearance.

Knowing the current pattern in Abel's Story, though, things probably aren't going to turn out well for her, in one way or another. A girl-jackal can hope, though.

I'm having a rough time discerning the silhouette reflected on the surface of the door, though. It LOOKS like Abel because of the shape of the ears, but there's a more rigid shape leaning against his shoulder, as well as a wrinkly shadow on his arm that I would've thought was the base of his belle sleeve, but it's a bit more prominent. For all I know, it could be a total stranger, who coincidentally happens to have Abel's sleeve, and the squarish shape could just be a trick of the light or whatever.

Not to mention there's some difference with the style of the character's hair, and judging by the shape of his/her head, it almost looks like he/she is wearing some kind of hat. I doubt Abel would've gone through the trouble of getting a hat to conceal his head-wings, as I doubt he really knows the true purpose of the medallion, and that he was in such a rush.

I also get the feeling he isn't even sure about the presence of his head-wings to begin with--he never actually SAW them, Devin just yanked him around by them. For all Abel knew, he could've thought Devin just had him by the hair or something.

Ah, huzzah for lengthy posts.

As for the 'honor maiden' thing, well, Abel already is somewhat androgynous, so he would make an alright honor maiden... :p Give him a shirt and no one would be the wiser.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tiger_T

I'm less concerned about the second wings.
But what will happen if they see him -Without- any wings.

I know I would worry if I saw my friend/kid running around with a limb missing.
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Goatmon

To the OP: Try making the subject more clear.  I thought the new Abel's story comic came out on the 10th and had no idea there was a thread about it already since the subject for this one has nothing to do with the comic. >_<

superluser

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 10, 2007, 04:08:40 PMI also get the feeling he isn't even sure about the presence of his head-wings to begin with--he never actually SAW them, Devin just yanked him around by them. For all Abel knew, he could've thought Devin just had him by the hair or something.

That's my impression, as well.  Furthermore, if Abel went to buy a proper hat, he'd surely have looked in a mirror.  Nothing stranger than having a hat hovering inexplicably two inches above your head.  If that's a bandanna, it might be possible.

It might be possible that the charm hides the wings, but not their shadows (though that tends to be one of those annoying things that DMs force on you to balance your skills).

I also just noticed--Hennya doesn't have any opposable digits!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Quote from: superluser on February 10, 2007, 05:03:20 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 10, 2007, 04:08:40 PMI also get the feeling he isn't even sure about the presence of his head-wings to begin with--he never actually SAW them, Devin just yanked him around by them. For all Abel knew, he could've thought Devin just had him by the hair or something.

That's my impression, as well.  Furthermore, if Abel went to buy a proper hat, he'd surely have looked in a mirror.  Nothing stranger than having a hat hovering inexplicably two inches above your head.  If that's a bandanna, it might be possible.

It might be possible that the charm hides the wings, but not their shadows (though that tends to be one of those annoying things that DMs force on you to balance your skills).

Get that must be scary having no thumbs..Guess no thumbsucking when yous a baby

bill

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: superluser on February 10, 2007, 05:03:20 PM

:U  It will be a short Marriage.

Kenji

Going without a thumb isn't so hard. I used to tuck my thumb in and do every day things just because.

Besides, she's used to not having them, so she has her adaptations. And she also has a tail. It could be at least somewhat prehensile.

superluser

Quote from: Kenji on February 10, 2007, 05:36:45 PMGoing without a thumb isn't so hard. I used to tuck my thumb in and do every day things just because.

Besides, she's used to not having them, so she has her adaptations. And she also has a tail. It could be at least somewhat prehensile.

Well, that's not always a help.  Try using scissors with fingers from sundry hands.  Or try opening a doorknob without a thumb.  Or brushing your teeth.  Or buttoning a button (I think.  I button things one handed, so I need an opposable thumb).

Also, she wouldn't be able to flip people off.  Either that or she's already flipped us all of in this most recent strip.

Kenji

Quote from: superluser on February 10, 2007, 06:43:10 PM
Quote from: Kenji on February 10, 2007, 05:36:45 PMGoing without a thumb isn't so hard. I used to tuck my thumb in and do every day things just because.

Well, that's not always a help.  Try using scissors with fingers from sundry hands.  Or try opening a doorknob without a thumb.  Or brushing your teeth.  Or buttoning a button (I think.  I button things one handed, so I need an opposable thumb).

Also, she wouldn't be able to flip people off.  Either that or she's already flipped us all of in this most recent strip.

Tried it, tried it, don't wear buttons. :P

But yeah.. flipping people off. That would be rather hard. And that's a necessity. D:

Yugo

Yeah, those things would be rather difficult. But only if you were born with an opposable digit and lost it. She's already adapted to lacking a thumb, I'm sure. It is however unfortunate that she can't display the universal sign of dislike.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

superluser

Quote from: Action Jesus on February 10, 2007, 07:28:33 PMYeah, those things would be rather difficult. But only if you were born with an opposable digit and lost it. She's already adapted to lacking a thumb, I'm sure. It is however unfortunate that she can't display the universal sign of dislike.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that that's only universal in some western-developed nations.

It's pretty easy to adapt to some of that stuff, regardless of whether it's congenital.  Some of those things, however, are never going to get any better.  How many of you have actually tried turning a doorknob with no opposable digits?  Or using a knife?

I mean, I don't want to turn this into a lecture on PWD, but it's rather surprising that she's able to get by in the world without them.

GabrielsThoughts

but who knows what evil lurks in the hear of Cid,  he's already named after a famous spanish knight of mythical lore in our reality.

El Cid

Quote"But when this vengeful count returned home to Leon, he convinced King Alfonso that El Cid had become dangerously powerful and must be banished from the kingdom."
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Boog

Well, the whole thumbless thing isn't so hard to get around; just design tools that are geared toward less dexterious hands. Same for hand guestures and the like. Aside from that, enough finger strength could quite possibly overcome the need for thumbs when turning doornobs or holding things. You just wrap your fingers around the object not unlike a tenticle or something.

Sci-fi geek overanalysis. If only I could figure out a practical use for it.

Slipdance

I know I'm wrong and horrible for thinking this...but the idea popped into my mind shortly after reading this latest comic, and just wouldn't leave. I needed catharsis, and thus I am going to subject you to THIS!

(I can't remember the rules for posting images, so I went with the safer bet. <<; )

Valynth

Quote from: Boogeyman on February 10, 2007, 10:01:14 PM
Well, the whole thumbless thing isn't so hard to get around; just design tools that are geared toward less dexterious hands. Same for hand guestures and the like. Aside from that, enough finger strength could quite possibly overcome the need for thumbs when turning doornobs or holding things. You just wrap your fingers around the object not unlike a tenticle or something.

Sci-fi geek overanalysis. If only I could figure out a practical use for it.

Do you know how many things wouldn't work with that method?  Door-knobs for one (building the strength to use one would not be as rewarding as developing something else that achieves the same principle, in short they'll never have existed).  Anything with a smooth surface for two, since gripping in such a manner relies primarily on the fact that the object you're holding will have enough friction against your skin to withstand the enertia of the object as you move it (the thumb crossing the palm shows that it's meant to lock object there with something that you can actually controll alot better than the laws of physics).  Which means said species would not be able to manipulate metal or plastic to any great degree, and there goes about 95% of our current in-use tools.

In a place with magic however, anything goes.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Slipdance on February 11, 2007, 01:05:48 AM
I know I'm wrong and horrible for thinking this...but the idea popped into my mind shortly after reading this latest comic, and just wouldn't leave. I needed catharsis, and thus I am going to subject you to THIS!

(I can't remember the rules for posting images, so I went with the safer bet. <<; )

Just do it.  Amber doesn't mind edits being posted, and the sizing rules are enforced by the sytem.  For reference, the maximum dimensions are 500x500 so it's going to be rescaled slightly.

I wish I'd thought of it.  (Though I've always seen Warp-Acis as being more like GIR myself)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

superluser

Quote from: Slipdance on February 11, 2007, 01:05:48 AM(I can't remember the rules for posting images, so I went with the safer bet. <<; )

You might want to add Amber's copyright notice (perhaps expanding it to ``original art by'' and ``photoshopped by'') and web site to it.  That way, if someone takes the graphic, anyone who sees it will know who made the stuff and where to go if they want more.

I still think that May's more likely to find a gold eyebrow ring in the cookies...

Slipdance

Good point.  I thought to put it in the photobucket site, but not on the item itself.  Rargh on me. XP 

EDIT: Updated with hopefully subtle credits. 

(And on the first time around, I did actually put Amber's maiden name, and I had to redo it.  :B Am I allowed one foul due to being out of the loop for so long? )

Boog

Quote from: Valynth on February 11, 2007, 02:29:07 AM
Do you know how many things wouldn't work with that method?  Door-knobs for one (building the strength to use one would not be as rewarding as developing something else that achieves the same principle, in short they'll never have existed).  Anything with a smooth surface for two, since gripping in such a manner relies primarily on the fact that the object you're holding will have enough friction against your skin to withstand the enertia of the object as you move it (the thumb crossing the palm shows that it's meant to lock object there with something that you can actually controll alot better than the laws of physics).  Which means said species would not be able to manipulate metal or plastic to any great degree, and there goes about 95% of our current in-use tools.

In a place with magic however, anything goes.
Doornobs replaced with handles. There's one right there.
As for manipulation of plastic and metal, why do you think beings are the ones leading in technology? Creatures either can't use it, don't need it, or don't want to need it.

thegayhare

superluser

Quote from: Slipdance on February 11, 2007, 09:00:09 AMEDIT: Updated with hopefully subtle credits. 

(And on the first time around, I did actually put Amber's maiden name, and I had to redo it.  :B Am I allowed one foul due to being out of the loop for so long? )

Actually, what I usually do is something along the lines of the following:

Just copy the bar from the strip in question (expanding/altering as needed).  Yeah, anyone could take it off, but it's still there.

...and you wouldn't be the first one to forget Amber's married name.

P.S. TGH, your new avatart is terrific.

Angel

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Alondro

I suspect that what will actually happen is this:

Abel will come in and take off the skull thingee as his mother greets him, the head wings will appear and May, believing an incubus has come to attack, will try to kill him.  Hennya, knowing it is in fact Abel, will try to stop May, but will end up stabbing her through the heart with a head tentacle releasing an anime-esque blood tsunami in the process.

Abel, already on the verge of a complete mental breakdown, is driven mad by the fountain of blood and the voice of his mother crying out in voice and in his mind, the voice of her soul thinking of the apparent betrayal and the "Two" creatures that have attacked her, and thus instinctively he strikes out with his new wing tentacles  (which should be functional by now!) and kills Hennya.

After a few moments, he comes to his senses and breaks down anew realizing that two more loved ones are dead... and that the monster he's become is responsible! 

*Charline grins*  And that's when I find him!   >:3

*Charles eeps*  No... that can't be right.  Abel wouldn't be in the comic later if that had happened.   :disbelief
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

GabrielsThoughts

um..it is Jyrras, from the long and winded future, to kill Abel, because Jyrras displaced his anger at himself for being gay, blames Abel for possibly being gay or at least Bisexual. when the only evidence we have that Abel is totally gay comes from speculation on his metrosexual like behavior.

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.