Something I've been wondering about #308

Started by Psy-Kosh, February 09, 2007, 12:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psy-Kosh

This may be an issue that's already been covered about http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_308.php but...

I would have imagined that prior to those events, Dan probably just figured he was something like an Angel... So I don't see why he'd be so utterly shocked and horrified at his potential longevity, given that they stick around for a bit too, right?

Zedd

Hmmm...*headwing twiches in displeasement* Nah...Your not worth it...

Manawolf

Random people have wings in that world.  deal with it.

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Manawolf on February 09, 2007, 12:15:48 AM
Random people have wings in that world.  deal with it.

Ah, okie, thanks.

Though, if I may ask, given the previous response and the 'deal with it' of your response, I can't help but wonder... did somehow I end up asking what I did in a rude way or somehow otherwise say something locally annoying or offensive? *blinks confused*

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 09, 2007, 12:17:58 AM

Though, if I may ask, given the previous response and the 'deal with it' of your response, I can't help but wonder... did somehow I end up asking what I did in a rude way or somehow otherwise say something locally annoying or offensive? *blinks confused*

If your post was offensive and annoying then I probably would have been banned a long time ago >.>

Don't worry about it.

My opinion on why Dan didn't think about it is because... well, it's Dan *Grin*

Amber Williams

I dont think you did anything annoying or offensive.

Reese Tora

You may have noticed; thinking is not Dan's strong point in any case. :animesweat
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Aridas

we're talking about Dan when Dan is one of the characters before anything in DMFA was coherent, and therefore Dan was most likely based on the appearance of the real Dan, and i'm not sure that if he had wings, he would care if he were some sort of demon or angel or asparagus.

Hawk

Hm, hm... perhaps it  will be seen as bad for me to do this on my second post? :<  Well, even if it does, I'ma doing it.  Comic 303 clearly tells us that Dan knew he inherited his wings from his mom, but thought that was all there was to it.  He knew Destania was a cubi, that's been made clear, but didn't think he'd become one anyways.

I'm so smaht. :)

thegayhare

well even though his mom was a cubi he didn't know alot about them

so it's quite possible he didn't know the intricasies of Cubi genetics

He did mention that his knowlage of cubi extended to if it moves hit it till it stops

Aridas

Quote from: thegayhare on February 09, 2007, 01:07:41 AMwell even though his mom was a cubi he didn't know alot about them so it's quite possible he didn't know the intricasies of Cubi genetics He did mention that his knowlage of creatures extended to if it moves hit it till it stops
corrected.

fesworks

Dan's Problem is moreso that he has to come to terms that he is a CUBI... something of which he is in a bit of denial about... because he has a big prejudice about them (that they are all evil, etc...)... I don;t think it is as much as he has head wings, but moreso that  (at least at this point) he can't hide the fact that he in a cubi because it is physically apparent to everyone else now.

I mean, dealing with the fact that one's perception of being one race, and finding out that you are really another race is tough enopugh without have new protruding apendages sticking out of your head as well.

... at least that is my interpretation.. but I have a habbit of reading into things a bit too much too. :P

Tapewolf

You might find this thread interesting:

http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum3505.htm#ref31

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

But in this case Dan is being all racist to a clan he only knows that they are evil. I sense here Dan is trying to cope with these things of being a Cubi but there's that nagging thought he worries that one day that his powers will kill his own friends and be that evil Cubi he dosen't want. That is something Dan is fighting not to be Cubi but to be a being. But it dosen't work that way until Amber will give us another arc of Dan's Cubi being trained and controlled at SAIA academy we will not be sure on this outcome.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 09, 2007, 12:17:58 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, were I you. Manawolf is known for being... excessively blunt and outspoken. And easy to irritate.

... Comparatively speaking, anyway. (and not compared to me :-) )
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on February 09, 2007, 01:17:47 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on February 09, 2007, 01:07:41 AMwell even though his mom was a cubi he didn't know alot about them so it's quite possible he didn't know the intricasies of Cubi genetics He did mention that his knowlage of creatures extended to if it moves hit it till it stops
corrected.

You know this is probably just a pet peeve of mine But I've always found tha sort of reply condecending and rude... please don't do it with one of my posts again.

I said Cubi and I ment Cubi

Dan clearly treats other types of creatures differntly  His interactions with Demons, mythos, undead, dragons, and fae have all been differnt then his interactions with cubi.

His opinion is probably formed because few of the others have casualy talked about going on rampages.

Plus when dan said the line I used he was talking about cubi

ShiningShadow

Quote from: thegayhare on February 09, 2007, 08:55:46 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on February 09, 2007, 01:17:47 AM
corrected.

You know this is probably just a pet peeve of mine But I've always found tha sort of reply condecending and rude... please don't do it with one of my posts again.

I said Cubi and I ment Cubi

Dan clearly treats other types of creatures differntly  His interactions with Demons, mythos, undead, dragons, and fae have all been differnt then his interactions with cubi.

His opinion is probably formed because few of the others have casualy talked about going on rampages.

Plus when dan said the line I used he was talking about cubi

But that's why Dan say these things because I think Dan is very worried about going on a rampage and killing one of his friends. If I was in Dan's shoes I will do everything I can to learn my Cubi powers and master them.

Aridas

Dan is an ADVENTURER... He'd be using that line for EVERYTHING he went on an adventure to kill...

Hawk

'Sides... Dan's never killed a cubi, a la his promise to Destania, so he's never had the chance to put that into practice for cubi.  Therefore, as conceding as rude as that may be (and probably is), it's also accurate.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Hawk on February 10, 2007, 02:09:34 AM
'Sides... Dan's never killed a cubi, a la his promise to Destania, so he's never had the chance to put that into practice for cubi.  Therefore, as conceding as rude as that may be (and probably is), it's also accurate.

I have this feeling that Dan like it or not he has to embrace his hertiage, and work with the nuances of being a Cubi with the wings, shapeshifting, etc. Knowing Dan he will master them all.

Roureem Egas

Quote from: ShiningShadow on February 13, 2007, 10:46:35 AM
Quote from: Hawk on February 10, 2007, 02:09:34 AM

I have this feeling that Dan like it or not he has to embrace his hertiage, and work with the nuances of being a Cubi with the wings, shapeshifting, etc. Knowing Dan he will master them all.

I dunno. I've always drawn a line between accepting something and actually embracing it. And the way I see it, Dan's more likely to shove his fingers into his ears and yelling "CAN'T HEAR YOOUUU!" than to actually master any ability that comes from being a Cubi. He'd learn just enough to keep his powers in check, but I really don't see him wanting to use it anytime soon.

superluser

Quote from: Roureem Egas on February 13, 2007, 11:25:51 AMDan's more likely to shove his fingers into his ears and yelling "CAN'T HEAR YOOUUU!" than to actually master any ability that comes from being a Cubi. He'd learn just enough to keep his powers in check, but I really don't see him wanting to use it anytime soon.

Well, except the ``not dying'' thing.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Roureem Egas

Quote from: superluser on February 13, 2007, 11:27:51 AM
Quote from: Roureem Egas on February 13, 2007, 11:25:51 AMDan's more likely to shove his fingers into his ears and yelling "CAN'T HEAR YOOUUU!" than to actually master any ability that comes from being a Cubi. He'd learn just enough to keep his powers in check, but I really don't see him wanting to use it anytime soon.

Well, except the ``not dying'' thing.

I don't really consider "natural lifespan" to be an a bility. :P The soul-stealing/life-extension thing would be, though.

superluser

Quote from: Roureem Egas on February 13, 2007, 11:30:35 AMI don't really consider "natural lifespan" to be an a bility. :P The soul-stealing/life-extension thing would be, though.

What about the ``coming back from the dead thanks to others' emotions'' thing?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Roureem Egas

Quote from: superluser on February 13, 2007, 11:41:29 AM
What about the ``coming back from the dead thanks to others' emotions'' thing?

Oh right, that. Yeah I consider that an ability, one that's constantly active yet passive. The mini-arc on Cubi powers seems like it's gonna say otherwise though. Meh.

MT Hazard

I don't imagine Abel was happy on learning he is a cubi, he seems to have adapted.

Plus if Dan' trick with the head wings is anything to go by, then he'll find some fun things to do with his powers over time.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Psy-Kosh

Further, if nothing else, can lead to an entirely different type of adventuring... As a psychologist.

Bear with me:

See, if Cubi can invade dreams and so on and do the whole soul consuming thing, then maybe they can also, with proper training, do more delicate operations, quite litterally battling someone's inner demons.

Psychology with a Psword?  ;)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oooo.

... wouldn't that put Delna out of a job, though?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 14, 2007, 05:50:49 AM
Oooo.
... wouldn't that put Delna out of a job, though?

More like training successors, given that she's mortal...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Depends on how good he is at it, really. :-)